The King of Hate Forums
ElectricSheepDreams

A topic that could put dsp on YT radar again: Games as a service

I've heard dsp say that making a video concerning SOPA put him in the public eye on YT.  There is an issue that is important to gamers brewing that his addressing and championing in the early days of it's awareness could serve to help aid in his gaining some relevance in the YT gaming community.  Games as a service is a looming plague on gaming in general that the casual gamer does not understand.  As he promotes himself as a 'Joe Blow' casual gamer, his looking into the issue and making folks aware of the dangers inherit could garner him some positive awareness from gamers in general.  I know he says that YT is nothing more than an archive of his streams for people who cannot attend the streams, but as he continues to do dedicated YT video intros setting up the videos for the YT audience after having been chatting with the stream viewers about what the stream was going to be I tend to not believe this.  No offense, but streamers who upload their stream footage to YT usually don't acknowledge the YT video watching audience even when they are streaming on YT.  You missed the stream?  You missed the stream.  They don't break stream emersion by making a dedicated YT video intro for that audience...but I digress...

Games as a service is the new SOPA that has yet to hit the fan...but it will.  Granted, it won't effect him the way it will affect regular gamers in that he doesn't replay games ( outside of Fromsoft ), play Old games, play games with friends or have a favorite game/games he plays in his free time.  He could, however, tap in to his 'casual/regular gamer' persona to champion this cause that HAS and WILL affect the rest of us who do have favorite games now and see having games in the future we want to be able to keep playing single player or with our friends as we have in the past even though  'Games as a Service' have already killed a long list of games making them unplayable for those who bought them.      

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams
  • Upvote 1

No?  Here's a list of games LOST forever due to Games as a service It has Release and Shut Down dates:

list.png

I first became aware of the problem when Age of Empires and then Wildstar fell due to being a Game as a Service.  The game....poof!  gone.  This opened my eyes.  I post this that folks will see Games as a Service for what it is before game after game THEY bought disappear never to be able to play them again.  Not their single player elements or even on a private server.  Poof!  The entire game...GONE.  Unplayable...Forever! 

list of game shutdowns1.png

list of game shutdowns3.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElectricSheepDreams said:

What do you say now?

Sad for those games, I guess. I've barely heard of most of them so there's nothing lost to me.

Especially seeing how most of those games are pretty old.

I really love Warframe, but I know it's dead the minute they shut the servers down. Typically happens with all MMOs.

34 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Sad for those games, I guess. I've barely heard of most of them so there's nothing lost to me.

Especially seeing how most of those games are pretty old.

You do realize more and more NEW games are being sold as Games as a Service, yes?  Probably already bought a few of them yourself.  As more and more go this route, more and more will be snuffed out and added to the list.  Guess if you only buy a game, play it once and then discard it you have nothing to worry about.  Culling 2, however was killed forever after 12 days ( July 11 2018- July 23 2018 ).  Hope the next game you BUY as 'a service' doesn't suffer the same fate.  Then again, you can probably beat a game in twelve days so "nothing lost" aside from the game you bought and Never being able to play it again.  

• Upvote 1

I agree games created to be a service then are shutdown a few years later are a problem that should be addressed.

I think making DarksydePhil the messenger is.... To be nice, ill advised. DSP constantly insults developers, doesn't play multiplayer games of these types much, and usually throws a game away a few days after playing it the day of release. The messenger should actually care about this issue, as in a gamer that actually returns to playing these kinds of games often. People already don't take Phil seriously, and he will be further ignored preaching an issue with his actions showing he could care less.

Edited by LabRatAttack