The King of Hate Forums
ElectricSheepDreams

A Primer on Twitch Raids

I realize that while having been streaming on Twitch for over five years,  he knows little to nothing about the platform.  Thus I post a rudimentary primer for Twitch Raid etiquette:

1) Raids are not a personal attack against the channel.  Nine times out of ten they are bigger channels attempting to help smaller ones by sending their chat to some random small channel*.  Twitch is a Community of streamers.  This ideal ....and Raids...date back to when Twitch was Justin.TV.  Granted, raids have been used to troll adversaries, but mainly raids were done to expose audiences to smaller channels.  

2) As a Raid is NOT usually considered to be an 'attack/invasion', it is customary to THANK the streamer who sent their audience to your channel.  It is also customary to thank and WELCOME these 'raiders' to the channel...as one usually seeks to grow their channel.  

3) While one who does not understand what a Raid is at first, it is generally not the best idea to foster a 'Us Vs Them' mentality in the stream chat. Twitch IS a Community of streamers.  Yes, Raiders SPAM the chat.  They mostly spam the name of the streamer who sent them to raid a stream.  Back-in -the-day, small streamer had special pop-ups they would play when they were Raided.  This encouraged regular stream viewers to welcome the new comers as well as fostering an environment where the 'Raiders' would wish to hang about.....and perhaps 'follow' the streamer that they might return when that streamer was on again.

Inciting one's chat to " fight spam with spam" and taking on an 'Us vs Them' stance does little to give anyone taking part in the raid an incentive to stick around or come back.  I will at this point out how quickly the 'stream viewer' numbers dropped during the two Raids I witnessed:

442>906>1706>1898>1502>1180>555>446

second raid

444>1172>858>615> 549 ( waving your arms after a death)>504>418

This second raid, the narrative to 'attack the invaders' was already in place and in the minds of the regular stream viewers.  While further data would be required to make an accurate claim, the RAPID decrease of viewers in these two raids is plain to see.  Neither time was the raid issuing streamer thanked nor raiders welcomed.  I am of the mind that this was the result of a lack of knowledge as to the workings of the platform, it is hoped that this will hope educate and foster a better attitude toward any future raids.

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams
  • Upvote 1

Sorry but this is dumb as shit. 

This is seriously as stupid as the talk how the streamer makes a boring game entertaining and then no one can provide a good example of an entertaining streamer or a good example of what he's supposed to do to be entertaining.

That video is also extra pathetic. Of course a guy with like 10 viewers who has to shoutout his followers, whos dream is to become a full time streamer, will act super positive and thankful for a raid that brings a few new viewers. Those people only followed for the raid to get attention of the main streamer and probably unfollowed soon after. That guy probably felt like shit when the views and followers dropped like a rock.

Phil's views jumped from 500 to 1500 and as soon the raid ended it was back to 500 and then to 300. Raids are just attention whoring of the main streamer. Like the guy in your video only used the raid to entertain his viewers. If he actually cared about the small streamer he would do more than just a short stupid raid.

"it is customary to THANK the streamer who sent their audience to your channel.  It is also customary to thank and WELCOME these 'raiders' to the channel...as one usually seeks to grow their channel. "

This is the dumbest thing I heard. Maybe if you have 10 views you could thank for the raid. Yes, a raid that lasts a few seconds will sure grow your channel.

"it is generally not the best idea to foster a 'Us Vs Them' mentality in the stream chat."

The raiders just spam shit for a short time, there's no discussion, then they immediately fuck off with no word. Phil's fight spam with spam decision was actually a good and fun choice, there's nothing else that could be done besides ignoring the raid.

"This second raid, the narrative to 'attack the invaders' was already in place and in the minds of the regular stream viewers.

No one was attacking anyone, everyone had fun, from where are you getting this stupid bullshit?

Edited by dsfan324

Raids dont equal sustained viewership, 100% of the streams with low views who get that jump too 1000+ through a raid end up having it go back down to 50 or 100 within 5 to 10 mins later. You might get 2 or 3 people who end up sticking for another stream or 2 but thats it.

Raids do fuck all, like dsfan said... its a flex by the bigger streamer to make himself feel better about being morally bankrupt as most of the huge streamers are. "Oh I'm a massive asshole with a huge stream who does underhanded shit regularly... let me raid this tiny streamer and make people think Im a good person by doing this incredibly empty and shallow deed"

Edited by FloydMayweather
  • Upvote 1

Raids can be useful for smaller niche streams. When I first started on twitch I watched a lot of art streams and from the first few they would raid/host other creators they liked, some were gamers some were artists. Since then I've become more of a fan of some of the secondary people that I found through raids. 

I don't know if they benefit dsp that much since he's already infamous. I know a lot of streamers when they will get a raid of a decent amount of people they will introduce themselves, explain what sort of streams they normally do and then reintroduce whatever they are currently live streaming. It really helps bring the new viewers up to speed and helps retain them a bit longer so you can impress them.

Just now, dsfan324 said:

Spamming emotes, nothing special.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, ElectricSheepDreams said:

This second raid, the narrative to 'attack the invaders' was already in place and in the minds of the regular stream viewers.

I was asking because of this quote in the OP.

Although, I agree with ElectricSheepDreams about thanking the 'raider', if indeed they were just there to have fun.