The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 77 - July 25, 2019

Hello! Please post up your questions for the next episode of ask the king HERE, and thanks!

If you can pick any age or age-range in your life you could go back to and relive, what would it be and why?

This is a lenghty question, but I want to ask about your opinion regarding the intellectual property of transformative content, that I think is interesting enough for this event. For this, I'll give you a preface of a concrete example, that applies to some, if not many games:

In the case of "Sekiro", it shows the 'Activision Software TOS' that you have to agree with, in order to use or access the Program, it basically explains in detail the license that you're buying. This is a limited license that states that you do not have the right to use the software for commercial purposes, you can only do for personal use, amongst other conditions. There is however, a section that explains how you may share 'User Generated Content', but it doesn't cover it for commercial purposes.

So this is my question: since you're technically not buying a license to stream such games and make a profit from it, you're only relying on the concept of "Fair Use" to do it, which application falls into a grey-area, what are the limitations that you think are reasonable when someone appeals to this concept, when trying to defend their content from a copyright claim? Or, in other words, how transformative must content be, to be protected under "Fair Use"?

Do you honestly think old fans like myself and hazzer who choose to leave have as you put it “lost their way” or have become detractors? Personally, I think walking away is the mature thing to do if you decide you don’t like them instead of hating on them.

Also, do you believe you have done nothing wrong despite fans leaving or dropping their Patreon pledge. I get that it’s nice to have an audience that likes you but that shouldn’t undermine the people who are legitimately upset with something.

Thanks and I hope there is no hard feelings.

Hey Phil, first off, I'm happy that you continue to make your content through thick and thin. This is my first question, so bear with me. I'm a big fan of games considered "interactive dramas", games that are heavily story-driven with minimal gameplay. Games like Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Life is Strange ect. These games at least in a point in time, and to an extent now, are a decisive issue, and there are two sides to it. The side I'm on, which says that a game is about entertainment, and if it's entertaining, that's all that matters. The other side is that gameplay is the only thing that matters, or at least the most important thing in a game, and if they don't have it, it's not considered a game. One example is the the reviews of Beyond: Two Souls, which were extremely polarizied. What are your thoughts on "interactive dramas" and do you consider them games?

Will you ever go back to finish GOT? I’ve been binge watching and now I’m halfway through season 6 and it’s already in my top 3 all time favorite series.

My question: Do you regret not getting a frog themed mascot a few months ago when frogs were white hot in your chat including the new dspFrog emote? I feel like the boring easter bunny mascot that was on clearance sale 2 weeks after Easter was a cop out. 

I was sad when you chose to kill Snowball and the Mascot program. I think you should consider Bringing back ALL of the mascots for a special summer mascot couch parade for June and July. Then retire them again for August and bring back a fall theme in September. I think the mascot program could be an interactive element of the stream if you include them in commentary.

Thanks Phil.

• Upvote 1

I will edit this as i come up with more questions. I don't remember if you addressed this already. I think you did but ill ask anyway. Your CT condo. I know its a financial drain on you. If you just stopped making payments on it, what would happen? Wouldn't it be a good idea if you did?

With the next generation of consoles on the horizon which one are you going to make your primary console. I know that this console generation you mostly bought all your games on the PS4,thanks for taking the time to look at my question here's hoping to 11 more great years. 

Why don't you come up with some sort of back up plan as your pledges and views continue to diminish. Why don't you try to find alternate ways of making money besides streaming games, like a turn key operation or investing in property, ect.?

• Upvote 1