The King of Hate Forums
ElectricSheepDreams

Building a Brand 101 for NEETs: Marketing

So, you're an internet personality who has a modicum of loyal followers looking to expand their income stream.  How does one do this?  Well, the first way would be to diversify.  Merch is a grand way to both grow a Brand while increasing one's income stream.  How does one create a demand for one's merch?  One way is to have it tied to your Brand.  A sustainable way to do this is to have merch that is relevant to the current trends of said Brand.  Don't have any?  Easy. MAKE them!  How does one do this?  They do this by having their audience engaged enough to WANT this current merch. Let's take PewDiePie's Minecraft merch campaign as an example: Having played Minecraft for less than a month, a line of Minecraft merch was launched based off of viewer favorite NPC characters ( horse and dog )/memes that viewers have become connected to.  First, however, one must generate things viewers will wish to take an interest in.  A creative and imaginative person can do this in short order either via in-game roleplay and/or paying attention to memes being latched onto by their fans.  I will at this time point out that a sense of 'community' within the Brand needs to fostered in order to accomplish this.  For example I offer the Yogscast, who grew a community of WoW followers into a Minecraft phenomena ( Shadow of Israphel 

into a 'Variety stream/YT' MCN of a literal cast of Yogs whereby members of their growing MCN place 'Yog' before their channel name thus making them a part of the Yog community...but I digress... 

Fostering a sense of 'community' will encourage folks to buy additional merch ....a piece from the CURRENT thing that is taking place.   Merch sales ride on the crest of the wave.  The wave is DRIVEN by the viewers.  Realize and capitalize on this leads to a successful merch income stream.  Ooo0ooooh, I'm not good at art....( you winge ) ....my above example show that one need NOT be able draw anything to design and make merch that SELLS....to the fanbase of one's BRAND....What one needs is the COMMUNITY you wants to buy such things.

https://store.yogscast.com/collections/t-shirts

https://teespring.com/stores/airforceproud95

https://represent.com/store/pewdiepie?gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZTqBRBZEiwAHHxpfrWnQ-vkPNWFcXpMuA_imLE0Y7Veez_RIiW3maotZjdwI0cKgGiAGRoC6T0QAvD_BwE

Yeah, YogCon* is streaming a bit I want to watch or I'd add more to this........

Outside stage of Yogcon feed:

*Yogcon is sponsored by Twitch.

I'm Dave Yognaut and I have the Balls!  

Woot they launched the rocket....but I digress...

How do old channels like this keep growing? Well, these two guys were forward thinking and continue to be by taking in New (younger ) talent .  Your Brand doesn't have folks clamoring to join your team...or refuses to take the chance to allow them to?  Well....your answer is  being being creative enough on your own to do these things or monitoring your chat closely enough to see where the opportunity resides.  [Pro Tip: Try not to BAN folks for doing things like spamming things you may not understand as this could become a 'community' adhesive element you later embrace.  Additional Pro Tip: UnBan folks banned for doing that which you now embrace...if it isn't to late to do so.  Better Pro Tip is to NOT ban folks for emotes/memes.  These can be your bread and butter.  Sticks and Stones one may say if one isn't silly enough to alienate those in their base who might wish to poke fun.  Dry humor can on this matter can grow a base even more ( as by example I offer  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCudlnfkmb1LgK4tSgctPNOQ  who berates his fans while not banning anyone.  A "King of Hate" should should be embracing this 'negativity'.   I will at this point take the time to mention that the OG fame was as a 'shock jock' much akin to Howard Stern that is referenced  and in hindsight one cannot fail to understand this being the driving force behing ones numbers.  Embrace it to keep the train rolling.  

Understanding your audience is key to success.  Audience's tastes change.  Seeing the change defines those who grow and who do not.  One can grow by embracing and using everything at their command ( positive and negative).  The Big man shrugs off the slings and arrows while using them to his advantage.  The smaller man takes them all to heart and lashes out at everyone.  One needs only decide to be the bigger man.  Shock-Jocks exist on every local radio station.  It's the ones who embrace their 'haters' who go Big Time ( Glenn Beck was a small time nobody on my local radio station  before his local following got big enough to garner national recognition due to his even greater 'hate' I may add)   Missed opportunities cannot be capitalized on.  The Brand you once could have capitalized upon is watered down each and every 'pre-stream' to the point that 'detractor' channels are no longer hosting your info as a daily  output opting to make vids of others who are more relevant....but I digress...

If one doesn't have a niche ( as with with https://www.youtube.com/user/Airforceproud95  ( flight sims ) or https://www.youtube.com/user/AGamingBeaver ( dino games ) or https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCudlnfkmb1LgK4tSgctPNOQ ( the Stardew Valley guy who has moved on to other games ).....one must rely on being quick enough to see what their audience is latching on and bright enough to realize it is a thing one can capitalize off of in the short time it exists as popular culture.  

Failing this, one has little hope.

Best of luck.

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectricSheepDreams said:

One way is to have it tied to your Brand.  A sustainable way to do this is to have merch that is relevant to the current trends of said Brand.  Don't have any?  Easy. MAKE them!  How does one do this?  They do this by having their audience engaged enough to WANT this current merch. Let's take PewDiePie's Minecraft merch campaign as an example: Having played Minecraft for less than a month, a line of Minecraft merch was launched based off of viewer favorite NPC characters ( horse and dog )/memes that viewers have become connected to.  First, however, one must generate things viewers will wish to take an interest in.  A creative and imaginative person can do this in short order either via in-game roleplay and/or paying attention to memes being latched onto by their fans.  I will at this time point out that a sense of 'community' within the Brand needs to fostered in order to accomplish this.

The obvious choice here then, it's the frogs. For some reason some people really like this meme, and "might" even want to buy something like this of Phil's merchandise.

Why do I say "might"? Because he already has a very appropriate "meme" T-shirts/items in his Teespring, ("I Hate Skeletons!" & "I'm Pressing Buttons!"), still uses the last one when he plays fighting games, but I don't think people are buying many of those. You put PewDiePie as an example, and even if it's something you used to explain your point, this is on another whole new level. If PewDiePie released a T-shirt with 'static noise' as an image, people would still buy it, if Phil did it, I don't think so.

The point is even if he does this, the result may not be the one you expect, but he could try. And if you didn't know, I think he already has some new designs someone made for him, (I think one is on his Prestream slides, as him mimicking Akuma), but he has not decided to release it yet, so it's at his discretion when he decides to do so.

Edited by MoraMoria

4 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

The obvious choice here then, it's the frogs. For some reason some people really like this meme, and "might" even want to buy something like this of Phil's merchandise.

Why do I say "might"? Because he already has a very appropriate "meme" T-shirts/items in his Teespring, ("I Hate Skeletons!" & "I'm Pressing Buttons!"), still uses the last one when he plays fighting games, but I don't think people are buying many of those. You put PewDiePie as an example, and even if it's something you used to exaplain your point, this is on another whole new level. If PewDiePie released a T-shirt with 'static noise' as an image, people would still buy it, if Phil did it, I don't think so.

The point is even if he does this, the result may not be the one you expect, but he could try. And if you didn't know, I think he already has some new designs someone made for him, (I think one is on his Prestream slides, as him mimicking Akuma), but he has not decided to release it yet, so it's at his discretion when he decides to do so.

I speak of continued sales.  This is something my example makes pointedly clear.  It takes only an engagement of the community to make for a successful Merch campaign.  Ie, PewDiePie selling  merch based of his Minecraft series that was under two weeks old.  That is how it is done.  His audience was invested enough to buy merch on game the person had only been playing a short time.  Why were they invested? Being part of the community as 'water sheep' was not even on the radar. but quickly taken in and adopted as a shrewd businessman would do.  

Here?

Everything is shot down at the gate with folks banned for doing things ( frog emotes).  I am actually glad you brought up the 'frog' thing.  It was a bannable offense to post frog emotes and countless folks were permabanned for doing so.....until it was 'deemed okay.  Do the old folks get unbanned?  I'll add in the folks who got banned when mods put the chat in 'Emote Only' and got banned for spamming emotes.  THIS is where one grows or fails.  I chose my examples for a reason.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babymangming456 said:

Aren't frogs a dead meme now?

Now there's a meme that everyone knows, never gets old and some people might buy merch of it but...

What merch? Frogs were always a meme he's never understand, but had to due to not having a 'tracktor' excuse not to .

1 minute ago, babymangming456 said:

Since you aren't asking what meme I assume you know what I mean.

You could put it as a joke on anything: T-shirts, mugs, etc

sorry slow to reply

The frogs are actually his first steps toward being a 'real streamer' as it came purely from the stream chat.  This is something he will not understand as he does not understand how Streaming works.

12 minutes ago, babymangming456 said:

Aren't frogs a dead meme now?

Now there's a meme that everyone knows, never gets old and some people might buy merch of it but...

Don't blame him.  He knows nothing about the platform he uses to make money and does nothing to learn.  I count him as just another penny stock trader who allowed me to retire at 30.

• Like 1

Just now, ElectricSheepDreams said:

I speak of continued sales.  This is something my example makes pointedly clear.  It takes only an engagement of the community to make for a successful Merch campaign.  Ie, PewDiePie selling  merch based of his Minecraft series that was under two weeks old.  That is how it is done.  His audience was invested enough to buy merch on game the person had only been playing a short time.  Why were they invested? Being part of the community as 'water sheep' was not even on the radar. but quickly taken in and adopted as a shrewd businessman would do.  

I chose my examples for a reason.  

I understand your example, which is why I told you that he could try, (even as continued sales). Just don't think it'll end up being as successful in this case, for a variety of reasons.

I also told you that he could release new merch right now, but he decided to wait.

11 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

I understand your example, which is why I told you that he could try, (even as continued sales). Just don't think it'll end up being as successful in this case, for a variety of reasons.

I also told you that he could release new merch right now, but he decided to wait.

Yeah...the wait is why he fails.  BIt distracted by the Yogcon on two seperate Twitch channels and keeping up with both chats.  so gonna peace out for two days as their charity stream is 3-4 Aug 24/7....just waiting for anyone to dis this with Yogscast having an $11.5 Million raised for charity....correction $14.9 Million* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yogscast