The King of Hate Forums
MoraMoria

Phil's Cat Questions

Hey @Phil, I'm happy that you got a cat, specially if it helps you and Kat, as it provides emotional support to some people, but could I ask you some questions?

1-You said that this was not 'good news', it was a 'positive reveal', but how is this not 'good news'?
2-I know you're in a very delicate financial situation, but why were you so adamant in reaching the goal, ($1K), in order to reveal such thing? Would you have revealed it, if the goal was not reached? And if not, would've you done another event with the same tip-goal?
3-How is this going to improve gameplay-streams? Or will you do special ones with the cat?
4-Will possible veterinary bills be a problem to you, since you're in such financial situation?
5-I believe such bills can get pricey, it's unpredictable if anything could happen, so are you not taking a (financial) risk by having a pet like this?

Again, this are what I think valid questions and simple curiosity, with no intention of turning it into a negative thing.

Edited by MoraMoria
  • Like 1

1. It's not really news at all. We've had Jasper for quite a while, but this was definitely a positive reveal to my audience.

2. I wanted to give people an incentive to contribute and help me out in this very tough time. And it worked. In fact, even more people contributed AFTER I shared Jasper on stream, proving that people really liked the fact that I shared him with my viewership after keeping him a secret for so long. I honestly don't know what I would have done if we didn't reach the goal, but that's all a moot point now.

3. Jasper will be attending the late-night chill streams. We'll see what impact it has on them moving forward! Undoubtedly people will also want emotes of him.

4. If he gets giant vet bills, my parents have offered to help out, to some extent. But you're right, it's a concern. There simply wasn't a way to 100% protect against this.

5. Already answered in 4.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

2. I wanted to give people an incentive to contribute and help me out in this very tough time. And it worked. In fact, even more people contributed AFTER I shared Jasper on stream, proving that people really liked the fact that I shared him with my viewership after keeping him a secret for so long. I honestly don't know what I would have done if we didn't reach the goal, but that's all a moot point now.

My question is when you kept on getting over drafted for months now, you couldn't afford the trip to Conneticut yourself, you could barely buy a ring for your wife, you even complained about being unable to buy $60 games, why buy a pet in a "tough financial" time? Its essentially another living creature to take care of which cost money.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

4. If he gets giant vet bills, my parents have offered to help out, to some extent. But you're right, it's a concern. There simply wasn't a way to 100% protect against this.

5. Already answered in 4.

Exactly, so why buy the cat in the first place while complaining how broke you are to your fanbase? You surely knew fans who work hard for their money and still give you charity wouldn't be happy knowing you hid an unneeded expenditure from them for months. Surely charging them $1,000 just to reveal such a thing was already going to put a bad taste in their mouths. I know you recieved a bunch of positivity but there was exceptionally more people mad with sub and bit badges next to their names who have threatened to charge back their donations because of this.

Lets be honest Phil, it surely seems like you were purposely deceitful to your fanbase just to get more donations. It just doesnt make much sense outside of that accusation to be overdrawn multiple weeks at a time while having an unnecessary 3rd mouth to feed unbeknownst to the people you're asking financial help from, daily.

Edited by LiteWordzz

18 hours ago, Phil said:

1. It's not really news at all. We've had Jasper for quite a while, but this was definitely a positive reveal to my audience.

I guess I can be that person for today, don't take it too seriously, (*wink emojis):

It wasn't news to you, but it was news to your audience.

It wasn't a reveal to you, but it was a reveal to your audience.

Therefore it was news/reveal to your audience, while not to you, which is why I think your answer has a hole in it, or could be more polished. All with good intentions.

4 hours ago, chucklehard11 said:

you’re a let’s player and you needed a cat to incentivize people to contribute? Jesus 

You have no idea how many streamers have pets that actively show up during the stream.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

You have no idea how many streamers have pets that actively show up during the stream.

and I’d chuckle at them also...it was a pretty big tip goal. I was hoping he’d sold the condo or refinanced....hell even snagged some kind sponsorship. It was a let down...I think I figured out his strategy with this....but whatever. 

I'm not sure how literally lying about not having a cat for a year and then making people pay to find the truth out is positive in anyway but I'm glad you're out of your financial hole enough to be able to afford the extra expenses that a pet brings!

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

what kind of cat is it?

Phil said his breed was a short-haired domestic Tabby.

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

is it declawed?

ZJasper.png

27 minutes ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

I'm not sure how literally lying about not having a cat for a year and then making people pay to find the truth out is positive in anyway but I'm glad you're out of your financial hole enough to be able to afford the extra expenses that a pet brings!

Yeah, it's definitely an expense. I don't have a cat, but I heard some bills can get expensive, including from members in the Forums.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:00 AM, KGhaleon said:

Soooo...took my cat for her dental surgery this morning. They give me the estimate and it's apparently going to be somewhere between $1400-$2200. Fucking robbed.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:41 AM, KGhaleon said:

Yep, ended up being about $1300 so eh.

Kitty is back home stumbling all over the place like a drunk because of the drugs. She wasn't allowed to eat before the surgery so when I put food down it was like she hadn't eaten in years.

She's confused af. Shit, she just tripped and knocked her water bowl over.

I don't think I commented on this, but that bill sounds ridiculous. Let's hope Jasper grows healthy.

The last major vet visit I had was a nice $200 for medication to clear up a urinary tract infection. Then ~$100 just for the vet visit. After doing some additional testing (blood and xrays) which cost about $250 more we found he had crystals from his kidneys forming in the bladder. To help this we had to invest in an automatic water dish fountain the encouraged water consumption. Add extra water to the food (free) but then ultimately even changed the food type we were buying to a better brand which increased the cat's food expenses to around $3.50 a day. It all adds up. 

Thankfully we had an emergency fund (a suggestion that my financial advisor made) that always floated around $1000. I can't imagine relying on the kindness of senior citizens to help me out if an issue came up. But I'm an idiot who makes less than half of what Phil does a year and has zero credit or personal debts so what do I know?

54 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

Yeah, it's definitely an expense. I don't have a cat, but I heard some bills can get expensive, including from members in the Forums.

I don't think I commented on this, but that bill sounds ridiculous. Let's hope Jasper grows healthy.

16 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Phil said his breed was a short-haired domestic Tabby.

ZJasper.png

I got a tabby too. She sleeps with me everynight, sad that his is declawed.

Ya pets can be expensive dry food aint too bad but you wanna give it wet food here and therr and treats cause its a pet you love ofc so the hit is a bit bigger. Then hospital and medicine bills. 100% when it gets older but it might not be ao lucky and have to go im for serious stuff while its young. But one cam hope that isnt the case. Then to add on top, phil isnt getting amy younger himself. How long for his hospital and medicine bills. 

I love cats got 2 but this was not a smart choice if hes that strapped for cash

Edited by bamboozled
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

A week ago today, my cat had a seizure. Long story short, she's stable again but I've spent $3,500 or more on her over the past 7 days. She's an old cat (18-19 years old) and this is obviously an extreme circumstance but it does happen. I've known people with young cats that have sudden, expensive medical issues as well. I'd say having at least $1,000 available for emergency expenses for a pet is reasonable.

Besides the out-of-the-ordinary costs, she's not been too expensive. A good cat tree is $50 - $150 and should last for years. Litter box around $20. Can pickup random toys for a few bucks, though those tend to get lost/destroyed. I have a few beds for my cat, one of which is heated (she's spoiled rotten) and they range from $20-$50. Litter is like $25ish for a 40lb bag? Food can vary a lot. I would hope he isn't buying the crappy cheap food. My vet suggested looking for food which has the first 3-4 ingredients being meat. I would also hope he's providing at least some wet food as generally it's better for the cat even though it's a bit more expensive. As an example, a medium bag of good quality dried food is about $30 while a good canned food can be about $1 per can. Some people will have dry food always available while offering wet food 1-2 times/day to cut costs while still providing good nutrition. 

All-in-all, I'd say that a cat that is fed good quality food can be done for $100 or less per month depending on how much they eat. The cat should also be taken for vet checkups once or twice a year at minimum. 

They do take your time, money and attention but, if you can afford and properly care for it, they are worth it. This derpy ass has absolutely made the last ~18 years of my life better.

2046835385_Kittie4.thumb.jpg.7397da45c639eb6c8bc2ba29d320470a.jpg

• Like 2

Due to the expense of vet bills, Pet Insurance is practically a must have in this day and age.  Having a declawed cat makes purchasing pet insurance even more important.  Why, one may ask?  A declawed cat no longer has it's built-in Fall Protection...and will never 'understand' that this has occurred.  Having a 'cat tree' exacerbates the dangers of the cat suffering a fall injury. Declawing involves the removal of everything down to the first knuckle on each of a cat’s toes, thus declawed cats suffer from chronic back pain leading to possible lameness over time as the the normal gait and weight distribution is irrevocably changed by the amputations putting a constant, unnatural strain on the animal's muscles.  This abnormal gait can lead to an increased risk and early onset of arthritis which adds the expense of daily pain management and heated cat beds in order to increase the pet's quality of life.  Additionally, some declawed cats have been known to stop using their litter box due to discomfort, choosing to use softer, more comfortable substrates such as carpets, piles of clothes, beds, sofas and pillows.  I strongly advise the removal of the mentioned 'cat tree' and the purchase of an insurance policy as well as putting money aside into a pet fund.  Pet insurance does not cover the regular yearly cost of check-ups, immunizations nor the monthly costs of heartworm, hairball and flea medications.  These are new expenses a pet owner takes on in addition to food, liter and toys.  Toys are a regular expense not to be over looked as a bored pet can rather quickly begin to develop behaviors their owners will undoubtedly regard as problematic in their efforts to alleviate their boredom.    

While one is sure that bringing this cat into the home has been an enjoyment for the household, one wonders if doing so was financially prudent.  It is not a stretch of the imagination to surmise that the increased difficulty of being able to pay bills on time in 2019 may be due in part to having taken on the added financial responsibility of pet ownership.  What's done is done.  Now, one must look to the future well being of this cat by acting responsibly and planning financially.    

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams