The King of Hate Forums
ElectricSheepDreams

Metrics and how to use them

@PhiI and anyone else who has a YouTube/Stream, I offer this advice: Look AT and use your Metrics. 

1) What are Metrics:

Metrics are measures of quantitative assessment commonly used for assessing, comparing, and tracking performance or production. Generally, a group of metrics will typically be used to build a dashboard that management or analysts review on a regular basis to maintain performance assessments, opinions, and business strategies. 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/metrics.asp )

YouTube and other platforms offer availability to extensive information on metric numbers any user can employ to improve their brand ( see below).

2) How can I use metrics?

https://www.managementstudyguide.com/what-are-metrics.htm

By taking the time to review the metrics available and applying these numbers to a plan ( long or short term) a profitable outcome can be achieved.  Using @PhiI

as an example, the change from Patron Choice to Sub Goal Choice had a negative effect to the overall income of the business.  The regular monthly Patreon income ( $1250) suffered a significant hit while Subscriber income was not significantly increased as The trade off was from $5 to $2.50... not the best trade off when only 250 $5.00 patrons would used to meet the goal it takes 500 Twitch Subs to meet the same goal.  Granted 600 subs brings in $1,500, A sub goal could be implemented to to cover the $250 loss much easier with a profit  as  that is a Sub goal of only 100 people.  Penny wise and Pound foolish.   Having a steady Sub base of upwards of 500 who may or may not contribute to Patreon now, is a loss of an additional $1250  ( 500x $2.50)  who would sub.  With 99 Patrons atm for a total of $444 using Metrics tells me the average Patron is giving more that the Twitch sub fee.  I would wage that these folks still pay for Twitch subs as well.  I would wager that the $1250 patrons also held Subs.  The metrics don't lie and this isn't rocket science*.    BEST way to maximize your income stream is to keep the one you have while adding onto it not the other way around.  Add to this the Tips and Cheers gained every stream and cutting off a tried and true income stream that requires fewer contributors for an imagined gain of $250/month does not seem the best choice.  I, however do not have a degree in finance, so perhaps I am basing my numbers on my 4 decades of knowing how to use a calculator and managing a household all on my own.

Pro Tip:  having paid bills for longer than @PhiI has been alive ( being born before man landed on the Moon ) and most likely longer than anyone reading this I offer this advice: CANCEL any  AUTOPAY if you do not have the money in your account to pay the bill as It is less expensive to eat a late fee on a bill than pay a bank overdraft charges.  Plus all bills have a grace period to go unpaid.  They then charge one a Late Fee which is less than a Bank over draft charge ( just an FYI for @PhiI since he doesn't seem to know this ). Eclectic Companies give you 60+ to pay a bill so that is an easy one to skip  month and are not allowed to cut your electric during Summer or Winter due to nonpayment by Law in the States due to health risk from heat death or hypothermia.  The More You  Know: For Washington State:

WASHINGTON

Date-basedyes

Protection DatesNovember 15-March 15

Temperature-basedno

Seasonal PolicyProtection for hardship customers who qualify or apply for energy assistance and enter payment plan.

OtherDisconnection is delayed if a medical emergency exists or 10% of the delinquent balance is paid within 5 business days. Need written certification from a qualified medical professional that is valid only for the length of time the health endangerment is certified to exist but no longer than sixty days. Medical certification can be renewed once within 120 days.

Deferred PaymentsDisconnection is prohibited if customer agrees and adheres to a monthly payment during the winter period. The utility may not require payment of more than seven percent of the customer's monthly income. In addition, the customer must pay one-twelfth of any billings from the date application is made through March 15th. If the customer does not pay the past-due bill by the following October 15th, the customer will not be eligible for protections under this section until the past-due bill is paid.

PUC/PSC ContactsConsumer line: 888-333-9882
Email: consumer@utc.wa.gov

Consumer FAQ/Bill of Rightswww.

( SOURCE: https://liheapch.acf.hhs.gov/Disconnect/disconnect.htm )

*( Twitch streamers earn a minimum of 50% of the subscription fees. The more subscribers they have, the more they get to keep.

“Top tier partners” get up to 70% of the subscription fees.  ~ Source:  2019 article https://wallethacks.com/how-much-do-twitch-streamers-make/ )

Addendum:  One has but to call a utility or other company one owes money to to ask for a deferment of payment to a date later in the month.  It may possibly take multiple calls if you have a record of late payment for anyone else.  I highly suggest anyone in need contact all their bill  home or local offices ASAP.  It has been my best knowledge that they are more than willing to work with you to pay your bills.

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams

1 hour ago, ElectricSheepDreams said:

this isn't rocket science*.

In the case of Patreon, he just has to adapt to the demand, starting by revamping the perks. That could be done by opening a new thread exclusive to Patrons, or post a public question and ask for what people would pledge for. In my opinion the 10$ one should be the first one to change.

And then he could do several/another Tiers for Sub-Goals on Twitch, like he had some months ago. So, in essence, adding things that people would pay for, what are those things? These could be events of some sort, like themed marathons, (with more specific criteria than Rage-A-Thons, to avoid random nominations), "DSP-Tries It", (covered by the Goal), "Cooking with the King", (idem), replaying voted games on the hardest difficulty or style, (E.g: Nioh with no guides/handholding, specific level upgrades to make it harder, and so on), Multiplayer-matches...

Now for more information, Phil answered on Twitter a question about Patreon rewards, now gone, but his still remains:

Tweet.png

Edited by MoraMoria

2 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

In the case of Patreon, he just has to adapt to the demand, starting by revamping the perks. That could be done by opening a new thread exclusive to Patrons, or post a public question and ask for what people would pledge for. In my opinion the 10$ one should be the first one to change.

And then he could do several/another Tiers for Sub-Goals on Twitch, like he had some months ago. So, in essence, adding things that people would pay for, what are those things? These could be events of some sort, like themed marathons, (with more specific criteria than Rage-A-Thons, to avoid random nominations), "DSP-Tries It", (covered by the Goal), "Cooking with the King", (idem), replaying voted games on the hardest difficulty or style, (E.g: Nioh with no guides/handholding, specific level upgrades to make it harder, and so on), Multiplayer-matches...

Now for more information, Phil answered on Twitter a question about Patreon rewards, now gone, but his still remains:

Tweet.png

In the case of Patreon he acted pennywise and pound foolish in the first place.  What's done is done and he did it to himself.  He was a 'full time streamer' from the onset back in 2013.  Difference being Twich didn't have tips and cheers back then and he was still making enough off YouTube to openly diss Twitch streamers back then who asked viewers to Sub to their Twitch channel ( see below from before cheers and tips were a thing on Twitch with Tweets posted by him before he went back after learning about the additional revenue stream of Tips and cheers):

He's a "full time streamer" now, times change...

6 hours ago, ElectricSheepDreams said:

In the case of Patreon he acted pennywise and pound foolish in the first place.  What's done is done and he did it to himself.  He was a 'full time streamer' from the onset back in 2013.  Difference being Twich didn't have tips and cheers back then and he was still making enough off YouTube to openly diss Twitch streamers back then who asked viewers to Sub to their Twitch channel ( see below from before cheers and tips were a thing on Twitch with Tweets posted by him before he went back after learning about the additional revenue stream of Tips and cheer)

First of all, stop linking malicious videos.

Secondly, things changed and so did Phil's opinion. Does he need to make a video announcement and say, "Hello everyone, I changed my mind"?

8 hours ago, ElectricSheepDreams said:

To be fair, he's an entertainer. Shit talking and hating on everything "was" his shtick, right? He was saying what people wanted to hear at the moment. Like when Pewdiepie does fake over reactions to FNAF because stupid kids want to see it.

Now kids want to hear him say their dumb names and see him build a giant dick in Minecraft. They pay good money for that too.

The audience and revenue source changed so did his views on things.

1 hour ago, LastRambo341 said:

First of all, stop linking malicious videos.

It's not a malicious video if it's just a compilation of what Phil said. If you are that offended then post the original videos.

17 hours ago, babymangming456 said:

It's not a malicious video if it's just a compilation of what Phil said. If you are that offended then post the original videos.

That is your job because you brought the argument

Dang, his Patreon is pretty empty now without goals...and looks like people aren't donating much anymore. He's only got $444 on there right now.

7 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Dang, his Patreon is pretty empty now without goals...and looks like people aren't donating much anymore. He's only got $444 on there right now.

In my opinion he should at least have 1 Goal in there as a "DSP Tries It", so that it covers the time/effort & price of the product. I think people would donate to Patreon for this without affecting the contributions they may do on Twitch.

The utility may not require payment of more than seven percent of the customer's monthly income. In addition, the customer must pay one-twelfth of any billings from the date application is made through March 15th. If the customer does not pay the past-due bill by the following October 15th, the customer will not be eligible for protections under this section until the past-due bill is paid.

7% of $10k= $700.  Odspspread.thumb.png.f39272b7fc03a66295dbe4e365b9afda.pngne-twelfth of any billing is markedly less with a grace period of 8 months.   Using only the Metrics freely available online for Twitch income.   

Seeing a steady 150,000 Weekly Views on YT, using the conservative $1/1k views for a channel that lacks an MCN, I cannot imagine many bills being paid with a passive income of $150x4/month ( $600) off of YT income for the past year.

dspmetrics.png