The King of Hate Forums
ElectricSheepDreams

Embrace the self proclaimed 'Variety Streamer' moniker by playing LESS AAA Title Action Games

I looked at the last 100 games played and almost HALF of them were AAA Title Action Adventure Games (46).   This makes you, for the most part are a AAA Title Action Adventure Game streamer.  Out of the past 100 games played, 46 of them were Action games, 11 FPS, 8 Platformers, and 7  were Fighting games.    A 'Variety Streamer' should play more than 4 genre of games.  There are 37 different genres of games. Amazingly, out of the 37 different video game genres only 17 genres have been played with 9 of those 17 only having 1-3 titles represented:
Racing: 3
Hack & Slash: 2
Open World Sandbox: 2
Visual Novel: 2
Battle Royale: 2
Puzzle: 1
Stealth: 1
Dungeon Crawler: 1
Thriller:1
There are 20 genre of games completely unrepresented. 20 genre of games not played once in the past 100 games that have been played. A self styled Variety Streamer that only plays 17 of the 37 genres with a single genre being hands down the most frequently played doesn't really speak of much 'variety'.  The main reason for such a skewed list of game genre being played is due to the slavish insistence on playing only AAA Titles, the majority of which are Action game titles.  One had hoped that after being cajoled by stream chat to play titles such as Plague Tale and Untitled Goose Game you would have gone on to seek out and play other non-AAA Titles of your own accord.  Sadly, that was not the case as the streams are back to a schedule of nonstop  New AAA Titles. 

In order to become a true 'Variety Streamer', it's time to discard the outdated 'Day One' AAA Title Youtuber model and branch out toward playing more A, AA and Indie Title games.  Once upon a time, playing games on their release day proved to be a profitable YouTube video model.  Those days are long gone.  For years, YouTubers and Streamers have been given games early, streaming and posting videos of the gameplay before the game is released.  Seeing as for some reason I cannot fathom you choose to not avail yourself to FREE copies of games early the only logical course of action is to discard your old way of doing things.  When 'Day One' rolls around, countless streamers and YouTubers have already been playing the AAA Title New Releases for days if not weeks.  Outside of your fans, few people are going to be attracted to your 'Day One New Release' streams as most people interested in the game are already watching a streamer play the game or following a series on YouTube.  It's time to move on as it is no longer a viable option trying to compete with others for views of New Releases.  

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams

Playing a specific genre of games doesn't make you anything more than just a streamer.

I'm not a "variety gamer" because I play adventure, puzzle, RPG, action and the occasional AAA game.

Edited by KGhaleon

Phil plays mostly only games he wants to play and those are AAA games. He isn't going to play something people want to see if he doesn't want to play it (Code Vein, even if he said before he liked it). Unless it's an event.

Before AAA games were an easy choice to please viewers. They were made like it's an action movie. But now AAA being just walking simulator it's unbearable to watch. Watching Outer Worlds is torture.

Retro games are more fun to watch at this point. I would rather watch a playthrough of Super Metroid.

I watched a streamer today who plays games Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. Plays music on guitar on Tuesdays for 6 hours. on Thursdays does reading and chatting stream and Sundays does cooking. 

Phil has no idea what a variety streamer is he just tries to use it as a brag or to deflect criticism.

18 hours ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

Phil has no idea what a variety streamer is he just tries to use it as a brag or to deflect criticism.

Of course he means variety-"gaming" streamer. And because this 'title' does not have specific objective criteria as a requirement to become one, in some people's mind he probably is.

I'd consider him more of a variety streamer, if he dropped or switched some of the chill streams, (e.g. Dragon Quest), & shooters, (e.g. CoD), for some Indie games, or even popular, different ones like Catherine.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:41 PM, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

I watched a streamer today who plays games Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. Plays music on guitar on Tuesdays for 6 hours. on Thursdays does reading and chatting stream and Sundays does cooking. 

I did not include the streaming of things other than games as while continuing to stream his recording of his Ask the King YouTube videos, he patently refuses to expand outside his comfort zone of a YouTube Let's Player that streams while recording for their videos to a  modern streamer who posts their streams on YouTube.  He may claim that YouTube is "just an archive of the streams", but the dedicated YouTube Intros that repeat almost word for word what was not moments ago said on the stream says otherwise.  An Archive video starts at the beginning and includes everything. The daily Unrecorded segments before and after he leans-in to click start/stop make it crystal clear that a YOUTUBE VIDEO is being made.

He is slowly coming to the realization that he often brings in more money while 'Just Chatting' for the 15-20 mins before clockout time than while he was recording footage for his YouTube Let's Play.  So I do expect to see more of this type thing.  To be honest, I'd prefer him do 'Just Chatting' streams than his 'Chill Streams' as they are getting closer and closer to going full Twitch Thot with at his own admission that " It's not about the gameplay, it's about the interactions" and viewers coming to watch a game being played should go watch a different stream.  It's just too cringe to watch a long time Gaming YouTuber start down the road of game play taking a backseat to seeking 'interactions'.  I no longer attend the 2nd streams not watch the videos.  He could, but won't stream DSP Tires it videos ( of food or NON-food items) and Cooking with the King episodes.  Fans want both of these and the only valid reason I can come up with for his refusal is that the wife won't allow him to film anything outside of his gaming room.  This said, I'd rather not a repeat of last year's additional tier  DSP Tires It Sub goal where he ate a handful of dry Holiday theme cereal out of the box while seated on his loveseat...         

Edited by ElectricSheepDreams