The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 80 - Jan. 30, 2020

Hello! Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King here, and thank you!

• Like 2

Happy 2020 Phil! Since its a new decade. Can you think back and tell us some of the best games from the past decade? 2010 to 2019.

Hey Phil, what did your family get you for christmas? Do you still like action figures? Would you cry tears of joy if you found the original first run wolverine figure in your christmas stocking this year?

Do you believe people should be jailed for verbal racial abuse as they are in countries such as England? Do you feel that is the most effective way to stomp out racism from society, at least on a public level, or do you feel as though that would be too much of a violation of free speech?

You mentioned in your Life is Strange 2 playthrough that the "SJW" themes were a little on-the-nose and maybe too much. What is, in your personal opinion, the line where these themes are coming on too strong? Do you think that artists (and game devs) should strive to be politically neutral, or do you think they should put their own bias into the art if they are passionate about that subject?

When asked about death stranding, you mentioned that you found much of the gameplay boring and said you thought that was the artistic intent. Other people had no issue with the repetitive gameplay at all. Do you think that it's okay for certain games to be made with a specific kind of person in mind, or do you think games should strive to be fun on a more general level? In other words, what is your opinion on niche games that only appeal to a small group?

Hello Phil,

Happy New Year! I was thinking about the new year and the future. Last year (2019) you talked with your mom and she encouraged you to take action and plan to step back from streaming and you made a promise to her that you would work on it. Have you made any progress?

I know it's difficult but I think taking the time to plan and map out the pros can cons would really help you formulate a plan and audit your processes.

All the best to you and your family in 2020!

Edited by BlueEyesWhiteDragon

Hi Phil, Blue Eyes, White Dragon here.

Since you don't make any of your emotes, or your pre-stream slides, or your thumbnails or your pop up animations for cheering, subbing, or tipping. Have you considered the idea of making a list of these items which you need or want for the future so that fans can create potential content for your use? 

If say, for example, in March you said on the forums "This summer I want to have a new emote of dspCheese, please create a DSP themed emote of cheese!" then whomever has the time and skill would be able to create emotes and you could choose your favorite or have the community vote on what one they like the best. This same process could be used to create the pre-stream slides, thumbnails and or the animations! 

Love you, Love the Show. I'll hang up and listen.

While I understand the transition over to fulltime streamer understandably, one of the toughest things that you do in your playthroughs which have ruined plenty of the games is allowing backseat gaming and allowing people to give you hints and/or advice on how to succeed in a game. I may or may not be alone in this but gone is the excitement of seeing you persevere through a game no matter how cryptic or tough a section of a game might be. I enjoyed that you didn't care much for the TIHYDP people trying to capitalize on your failures and that you treated every playthrough like the old days of no handholding from the chat or people. It gave it a very retro feel and felt really rewarding and satisfying as a long time viewer to see a streamer pull through instead of being told how to figure something out. It felt unique to see someone, stubbornly or not, give a tough game a good couple of tries because it felt organic and felt like the pre-internet days of perseverance. 

It has (At least IMO) ruined so many playthroughs that you have done and my question is: Have you considered or will consider a "NO Backseat Gaming" policy in the near future? From spoilers to being basically handheld to a section of the game, it feels like chat interaction has taken a far bigger prevalence that has arguably taken away one of the unique features that DSPGaming brought which was raw, unedited gameplay that many viewers including myself loved. Other streamers have warned or banned people on Twitch for spoiling or giving advice on a section of a game, is this something that you have considered?

It is difficult(IMO) to view your streams looking for gameplay so should people not see you as a gamer first and maybe more so a personality first with the games taking the backseat(No pun intended) to the streamer?

Edited by Blackspawn89

You've said that you've admitted to things that were either partially or completely your fault.

My question is: What are all the bad things, specially the most important ones throughout your life, that you admit a completely 100% of responsability from your part?