The King of Hate Forums

Ask the King Ep. 80 - Jan. 30, 2020

You mentioned in your Life is Strange 2 playthrough that the "SJW" themes were a little on-the-nose and maybe too much. What is, in your personal opinion, the line where these themes are coming on too strong? Do you think that artists (and game devs) should strive to be politically neutral, or do you think they should put their own bias into the art if they are passionate about that subject?

When asked about death stranding, you mentioned that you found much of the gameplay boring and said you thought that was the artistic intent. Other people had no issue with the repetitive gameplay at all. Do you think that it's okay for certain games to be made with a specific kind of person in mind, or do you think games should strive to be fun on a more general level? In other words, what is your opinion on niche games that only appeal to a small group?

Hello Phil,

Happy New Year! I was thinking about the new year and the future. Last year (2019) you talked with your mom and she encouraged you to take action and plan to step back from streaming and you made a promise to her that you would work on it. Have you made any progress?

I know it's difficult but I think taking the time to plan and map out the pros can cons would really help you formulate a plan and audit your processes.

All the best to you and your family in 2020!

Edited by BlueEyesWhiteDragon

Hi Phil, Blue Eyes, White Dragon here.

Since you don't make any of your emotes, or your pre-stream slides, or your thumbnails or your pop up animations for cheering, subbing, or tipping. Have you considered the idea of making a list of these items which you need or want for the future so that fans can create potential content for your use? 

If say, for example, in March you said on the forums "This summer I want to have a new emote of dspCheese, please create a DSP themed emote of cheese!" then whomever has the time and skill would be able to create emotes and you could choose your favorite or have the community vote on what one they like the best. This same process could be used to create the pre-stream slides, thumbnails and or the animations! 

Love you, Love the Show. I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1

While I understand the transition over to fulltime streamer understandably, one of the toughest things that you do in your playthroughs which have ruined plenty of the games is allowing backseat gaming and allowing people to give you hints and/or advice on how to succeed in a game. I may or may not be alone in this but gone is the excitement of seeing you persevere through a game no matter how cryptic or tough a section of a game might be. I enjoyed that you didn't care much for the TIHYDP people trying to capitalize on your failures and that you treated every playthrough like the old days of no handholding from the chat or people. It gave it a very retro feel and felt really rewarding and satisfying as a long time viewer to see a streamer pull through instead of being told how to figure something out. It felt unique to see someone, stubbornly or not, give a tough game a good couple of tries because it felt organic and felt like the pre-internet days of perseverance. 

It has (At least IMO) ruined so many playthroughs that you have done and my question is: Have you considered or will consider a "NO Backseat Gaming" policy in the near future? From spoilers to being basically handheld to a section of the game, it feels like chat interaction has taken a far bigger prevalence that has arguably taken away one of the unique features that DSPGaming brought which was raw, unedited gameplay that many viewers including myself loved. Other streamers have warned or banned people on Twitch for spoiling or giving advice on a section of a game, is this something that you have considered?

It is difficult(IMO) to view your streams looking for gameplay so should people not see you as a gamer first and maybe more so a personality first with the games taking the backseat(No pun intended) to the streamer?

Edited by Blackspawn89

Dear Phil,

From the previous decade, you were well-known on the Internet as the guy who raged at video games, particularly the ones that fell under the Fighting Game genre. You infamously criticized certain games for presenting you with unfair challenges such as overpowered boss fights, horrendous cameras, awful checkpoints, and lame online connections (to name a few). After the latter half of the previous decade, you seemed to have transformed into a calm and chill guy who withdrew blaming the game for its flaws. My question to you is: What were the most relaxing, stress-free games that you played in the previous decade? Which ones made you feel the happiest playing?

Thank you for reading this and keep up the fun entertainment.

Hello DSP.

I am watching you play the Weekly Chill Street Fighter Throwback Old School stream right now. I was never into fighting games growing up and I was wondering if you could explain what the different titles mean?

I know there is Street Fighter II...

but then there is also Super Street Fighter II right?

and Street Fighter II Turbo?

and Super Street Fighter II Turbo?

and Hyper Street Fighter II?

AND Super Street Fighter II Ultra???

---

Is it the same for Super Street Fighter 3? Like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike?

---

Isn't there some sort of other titles like Street Fighter EX? Street Fighter Alpha? 

Edited by BlueEyesWhiteDragon
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Phil, I hope you had a good christmas and a happy new year! 2020 will be a GREAT year for you, with many AWESOME games coming this year, plus a new console gen! So there lies my question, would you ever give up on console gameplay for the more superior PC gameplay? If you saved your money by not buying the next gen consoles you could get yourself a decent PC to see you well into the future of gaming. Most streamers now days just game on PC, why don't you?

Hey Phil,

Would you consider doing a sports game marathon? I, for one, like seeing you play this genre of games because you rarely play sports games so it's nice to see you out of your element. Considering some playthroughs of these games can become boring and drawn out to a lot of your viewing audience, playing them for an hour or 90 minutes can make for some interesting content. Of course, like usual, one of these games could turn into a playthrough later. I feel like having various options instead of just relying on a game that could be hit or miss would be great for you and the viewers. Thoughts?

Hey phil, just wanted to start off by saying that I’ve been really enjoying your playthroughs as of late and have been enjoying your latest runs of KOTOR and DragonBall Z Kakarot to name a few! 

My question is regarding your state of the stream address. I am currently attending college in the field of finance so this is an area of interest for me.

As a streamer, which chapter are you hoping to pursue or have already been pursing? 

I promise that I am not trying to troll or anything.  I am currently attending college in the field of finance so this is an area of interest for me, being such a unique case. 

I hope you and your family are doing well, and I hope you have the chance to view my question, have a wonderful day! Thanks! 

Greetings DSP!

I actually have 2 questions if you don't mind humoring me for a second. The first is a sort of half joke, but I am still somewhat curious as to your response.

You have mentioned before that you have grown to be OK with loading screens, as they give you a time to check up on chat, do a couple shout outs, or what have you. I want to ask, therefore, how you feel about Sony's claim that the PS5 will effectively eliminate loading screens, even those that you get when launching a game, with their high-speed SSD? Assuming for a second that they do achieve that lofty goal, how will you feel about it?

The second, and more serious question. You have said that you don't much like the story of Final Fantasy 7. Given the epicness of Final Fantasy 6's story, this is understandable. However, considering the fact that Square intends to devote a lot of resources, storage space, and quite honestly entire parts of these games to more and better world and character development to flesh out this universe, do you think you will be able to maintain an open mind regarding the game again? Will you be able to look at the story anew and, if it turns out they really did an excellent job, find a new respect for FF7?

Thanks for any responses!

Hello Phil. I'm just wondering if it might be possible for you to display the seed for any of the Minecraft worlds you have created. I'm referring to your original 2015 Minecraft playthrough, the kingofhate.com 2015 fan appreciation stream, and your current Chill night-stream sessions. I just think it would be neat to archive your worlds forever not just in video format, but to have the actual world itself for others to play in. Most Minecraft content creators put the seed number in the description of their videos.

I'm not sure if you still have the original world from 2015 saved on your computer, but it is only a matter of opening the command prompt with '/' and typing 'seed' to display the seed number. In the Xbox One edition, click on the pencil icon when you boot up the game, copy the game, and then click the pencil icon again to display the seed for that.

Alternatively, just sharing the world files is just as easy. On Windows, the world saves are located in %appdata%\. minecraft\saves\. And on Xbox One, you have the option to upload your world to 'Realms' for others to download and enjoy. I will be sure to help more if you require it, on here or on the streams. Thank you very much!

body.png

• Phil locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic