The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Christmas 2019 Marathon Games VOTING Thread!

Christmas 2019 Marathon Games Voting Thread!  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MoraMoria said:

These were the rules on the nomination thread:

• (..) I'm already planning on playing some classic Street Fighter, so *those are already covered! NOTE: Two basic rules:
  • 1. The game must be readily available on modern consoles/PC. If on PC, the game must NOT be graphically demanding. This means no crazy high-end new games, and also no rare games that I'd have to buy for $100 off of Amazon, etc.
  • 2. The game should be something that's fun to play for about an hour. Picking a long, drawn-out RPG where I'm not even through the introduction isn't going to be very interesting to stream viewers! (...)

Is Code Vein a high-new end game? I have no idea, really, or how much it would cost him now. As for Street Fighter, he kind of said that they, (*"those"), were already covered, if he meant the franchise.

I think there was a bit of miscommunication & the rules were not specific enough, it seems.

Code vein was released this year and still sells at full price, at least digitally.

Anyways, I think the rules were clear enough - people just ignored them. Look at how many people nominated games like KOTOR. These aren't games that can be enjoyed in 1-2 hours only, are not christmas related, and will probably turn him off from playing these games in the future.

56 minutes ago, JeffBezosRightNut said:

Code vein was released this year and still sells at full price, at least digitally.

Anyways, I think the rules were clear enough - people just ignored them. Look at how many people nominated games like KOTOR. These aren't games that can be enjoyed in 1-2 hours only, are not christmas related, and will probably turn him off from playing these games in the future.

The games didn't have to be Christmas-related as I recall, but I know what you mean. The things that seem to fail, are 2:

• There wasn't a specific "budget" on the eligible games. (As in a concrete number. He said he wouldn't buy a 100$ game as an example, but never established the actual limit.)
  • He didn't add, (on the written rules, maybe he said it on Prestream, but that I don't know), that for the sake of not making the voting-list too long, already played games would be discarded, ("Postal 2", "God Hand").

Doing this makes sense from a pragmatic view, but it's just a technicality that some people won't overlook, or else no one would be able to complain about the result.

What you say is also true, voting "Kotor" for a marathon isn't ideal. This is just my opinion, I'm not going to judge other people's nominations.

Edited by MoraMoria

1 hour ago, MoraMoria said:

The games didn't have to be Christmas-related as I recall, but I know what you mean. The things that seem to fail, are 2:

• There wasn't a specific "budget" on the eligible games. (As in a concrete number. He said he wouldn't buy a 100$ game as an example, but never established the actual limit.)
  • He didn't add, (on the written rules, maybe he said it on Prestream, but that I don't know), that for the sake of not making the voting-list too long, already played games would be discarded, ("Postal 2", "God Hand").

Doing this makes sense from a pragmatic view, but it's just a technicality that some people won't overlook, or else no one would be able to complain about the result.

What you say is also true, voting "Kotor" for a marathon isn't ideal. This is just my opinion, I'm not going to judge other people's nominations.

I'm just giving my opinion too, and it's not like anyone cares what I think anyway. KOTOR is currently #3 on the voting.

13 hours ago, LastRambo341 said:

What is the point of nominating if the game you want will be disqualified anyways?

I think this is starting to happen more frequently and its getting a little more frustrating for people each time it happens. Last time there was an event to nominate games it happened so I skipped out this time and just vote on it.

12 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

I think there was a bit of miscommunication & the rules were not specific enough, it seems.

Yep. And I think for most people its debatable whether or not the rejection reasons given in this thread really line up with the rules that were given in the nomination thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, horseface said:

da realest motherfucker on da internet and the most honest youtuber.

it writes itself.

The colab of the century.

Being serious, Onion is actually out there hurting people, DSP just gripes a lot about games. I don't think they're comparable.

Edited by JeffBezosRightNut

1 hour ago, MrPapaveraceae said:

If MYST is picked, I would suggest to play RealMYST. A remastered version of MYST.

"RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition" was already added to the tally with 2 votes, other people voted for "Myst: Masterpiece Edition", (other 2 votes), & of course others simply "Myst", (winner with 4 votes). I doubt changing versions on the fly would be fair to those who voted for the latter.

I also asked you which version you were voting just to be absolutely clear with the tally and make it fair, and it was "the first Myst"...

So....

23 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

I doubt changing versions on the fly would be fair to those who voted for the latter.

It's the same game, it doesn't matter which version. But realMyst would be more interesting to watch over a slideshow. Also Myst: Masterpiece Edition might have some technical issues based on the reviews, the cursor also doesn't change like in the original based on intractable items which might make it hard to play.

I'm totally fine with classic MYST. That was the version I was expecting initially. Get the full classic MYST frustration experience. All around, the remastered versions is in essentially the same game, so if Phil can't stand the original point and click version, there are updated versions available to kind give a more updated feel to it. But, I'm sure he's not gonna buy different versions of the same game, so there will be people like myself to help him out with hints. I think it would still be fun. MYST is a game I've been wanting to see him play for a while.

Now that I'm thinking about it. It might make more sense to buy the remastered, cause you can still play MYST as the point and click adventure, or it gives you the option to play in free roam. So if one doesn't work, he could try the other. Instead of just giving up without a second chance of trying something different.

Edited by MrPapaveraceae
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

I was joking about MrPapaV sending bits to tell Phil how to play Myst but I guess its real.

If not papavera, it would be someone else. Or he might just look up a strategy guide if he ever needs help.

I remember myst being pretty hard, but I was a child last time I played it so I'm not a good judge.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, MoraMoria said:

These were the rules on the nomination thread:

• (..) I'm already planning on playing some classic Street Fighter, so *those are already covered! NOTE: Two basic rules:
  • 1. The game must be readily available on modern consoles/PC. If on PC, the game must NOT be graphically demanding. This means no crazy high-end new games, and also no rare games that I'd have to buy for $100 off of Amazon, etc.
  • 2. The game should be something that's fun to play for about an hour. Picking a long, drawn-out RPG where I'm not even through the introduction isn't going to be very interesting to stream viewers! (...)

Is Code Vein a high-new end game? I have no idea, really, or how much it would cost him now. As for Street Fighter, he kind of said that they, (*"those"), were already covered, if he meant the franchise.

Code Vein is available on consoles, unless he meant that it is a long drawn-out RPG

SF V is not "classic" Street Fighter, you have to admit that Phil does not like the game, so that probably influenced his decision.

1 hour ago, LastRambo341 said:

SF V is not "classic" Street Fighter, you have to admit that Phil does not like the game, so that probably influenced his decision.

Or maybe... playing "Classic-SF" was already decided in advance, in order to avoid "SFV" when the time comes, because the chances of people voting for that franchise for these events are pretty high, so you might as well take the one you want to play while avoiding the other... all in a very well calculated strategical move...

Two birds, one stone... unavoidable Checkmate... the illusion of free will... Darn! I think I spoke too much.

W.gif

20 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Or maybe... playing "Classic-SF" was already decided in advance, in order to avoid "SFV" when the time comes, because the chances of people voting for that franchise for these events are pretty high, so you might as well take the one you want to play while avoiding the other... all in a very well calculated strategical move...

Two birds, one stone... unavoidable Checkmate... the illusion of free will... Darn! I think I spoke too much.

I personally really wanted him to play SF V :P I always thought that one day he would like it, despite his frustrations and the game's improvements.

16 minutes ago, Another_Derich said:

How many games from the poll are being selected? Wonder how the larger Twitch audience will react based on what is being voted right now

Nah don't worry the 100 people on this forum deciding what the other 150 people watch on Twitch is fine.

• Like 1

Can we get a more modern voting system so viewers don't have to go to and register to a shady 2000's era forum? 

This would also allow more people to get in on voting. 

9 hours ago, Ice14 said:

Can we get a more modern voting system so viewers don't have to go to and register to a shady 2000's era forum?

So what do you propose?

You can't do the poll over a very limited period of time, (e.g: Twitch poll), because not everyone can be there at that moment; and if you do it over several days, (e.g: Twitter poll), some people are going to vote several times.

Not to say that they'll not do it in the Forums as well, but here he has more control of it. Some of the "modern", like you say, voting systems are exploitable.