The King of Hate Forums
VertigoTeaparty

New Twitch feature - Hype Train

https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/hype-train-guide?language=en_US

TL;DR - After enough events (bits, subs, re-subs) a hype train starts. Everyone who contributes builds the hype train's level.  After a certain amount of time, everyone who contributed 100 bits or more or sub'd/re-sub'd/etc gets a random emote. These emotes will be changed out over time with new ones.

Sounds like a pretty cool feature. The channel owner can change a few parameters like setting the difficulty, cooldown, etc. I checked my dashboard but I don't have it yet but I'm just affiliate so it may not be available for us yet.

I just looked at this briefly... Is the reward just a random emote?

I understand that it's a great way to help the streamer, but the incentive is not that great, since you can unlock some with Channel-Points.

And if they participate with subscriptions, because that fills the meter too, they would have already the emotes. It would make sense if they rewarded random viewers on chat, not the ones who're already willing to spend money & get the emotes anyway.

So these are the emotes, anyway:

Emotes.png

I see they provided their own, still unsure how much of an incentive this is.

[Some are pretty cool, but I really don't like Level-2]

4 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

Those are lame, why would anyone want to use those?

The thing is, they won't likely be pertinent to the streamer. Can hardly see a moment where a red-demon-torso-emote would make sense in Phil's stream. However look at the FAQ section, they will be replaced over time every few months, apparently.

Permanent.thumb.png.74d2c2b1ef17ab74029de25cf5aecf20.png

You can see what they're doing with current Level-5, and why is the last/hardest level. Those may be popular amongst some type of audience, semi-decent marketing.

But also, check this out:

SellOut.thumb.png.47f64514620b82c47166032bf4883b4f.png

What a weird thing to put on a FAQ...

SSS.gif.a4050f6407252c8b4738791a4ca1e5f2.gif

9 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

If you even have to ask that question, than chances are, you are sell out.

Twitch knows very well why they are implementing this feature and why they added the paragraph.

"Our goal in creating an organic kick off mechanism is to let the feature happen naturally, without any direct intervention from you, in order to limit the feeling of “selling out” by directly asking for contributions."

I have the feeling Phil is going to be fine. I mean no one is going to think worse of him.

"That said, we know this feature won’t be for every community"

A perfect feature for the DSP community to be honest, too bad it doesn't work with tips.

Apparently Phil got $300 in cheers for the first hype train but tips were low, who knows how long it will last.

Edited by babymngaming456

18 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

Yeah, they are supposed to be just an excuse to make people throw money around and it works well for now.

That's a given, it's a business after all.

And you already know some people don't mind spending money on things like these, easy money. It's not even that efficient to help the streamer, there are better ways.

Edited by MoraMoria

For some reason Phil doesn't want the hype train to derail the stream. He can make the cooldown longer in that case.

14 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

It's not even that efficient to help the streamer, there are better ways.

Like tips, we know.

35 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

For some reason Phil doesn't want the hype train to derail the stream.

How can the hype-train derail the stream?

Just looked at the logs, some people were spamming "Hype train" and similar... There's quite a bunch of them, but it's not that bad and it'll stop after a few days.

It's quite the thing... I hope there's some sort of data/statistics that show the popularity, success, growth and things like that of this feature. How can a simple idea blatantly created for profit will sway people into being part of it..?

You see, in the end this is great research.

MoneyRain.gif

Edited by MoraMoria

On 1/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, MoraMoria said:

I understand that it's a great way to help the streamer, but the incentive is not that great, since you can unlock some with Channel-Points.

These emotes will be uniquely obtainable from the hype trains. 

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. On one hand, I've seen cases where a few donations in a short timespan did lead to other people donating/subbing/etc even before this feature. OTOH, some people may choose to not donate UNLESS there is a hype train going because they want the emotes or just to get in on the action. My fear is that channels I watch will start hinting at getting trains going and they will derail the stream.  Regardless I look forward to seeing if this becomes a big feature or if it'll get a lot of use for the first week or so then drop off.  I do think it'll work WAY better for big streamers because it's a lot easier to both get the train started and to keep it going.

Seems like a lame feature. I'm willing to bet you don't even get to keep the emotes when the next wave comes. It's like those stickers thats been showing up on Steams sales, I have no clue why people would waste tokens on something you cant even keep

59 minutes ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

Promoting shitty emotes as a reason to pay twitch a 30% tax on bits? What would 2015 Phil say about this world we've created?

FreeMarket.gif

I caught the stream yesterday, him reaching the hype money train was the happiest I've seen him in a while.

1 hour ago, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

Promoting shitty emotes as a reason to pay twitch a 30% tax on bits? What would 2015 Phil say about this world we've created?

I think around 2015, Phil said "Twitch is all about people begging for tips and donations". He then proceeded to curse Twitch. 

2 hours ago, Dragonea said:

I'm willing to bet you don't even get to keep the emotes when the next wave comes.

Yes and no. It's a little confusing but it sounds like when a new set of emotes comes, you'll keep some emotes, based on popularity. I'm assuming they mean Twitch-wide popularity, not how often you have used it.

From the help page:

Are the emotes permanent?

No. Hype Train emotes will be refreshed with a new theme every few months to keep things interesting. At the time of refresh, previous participants will get to keep a subset of the emotes they collected from previous trains based on popularity.

Got it enabled now. The option screen is below for those interested. The difficulty levels are here. Each level beyond 1 takes more than the amounts listed.

Easy - 3.2 Tier 1 subs or 1,600 bits to complete level 1

Medium - 4 Tier 1 subs or 2,000 bits to complete level 1

Hard - 6 Tier 1 subs or 3,000 bits to complete level 1

Super Hard - 10 Tier 1 subs or 5,000 bits to complete level 1

Insane - 10 Tier 1 subs or 10, 000 bits to complete level 1

1437338094_hypetrain.thumb.png.a6406c6ec855ad65e9170270038bfb7c.png

To be honest hype train is the most fun thing that happens, too bad it dried up.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, BlueEyesWhiteDragon said:

What would 2015 Phil say about this

His old Twitch comments are gold.

Is it already out of steam?

Not only I want to see the new emotes they make, but I also want to know how successful it is in the future, and how long it lasts.

· · · ·

I just looked at some Forum post about the Hype-Train, and someone is referencing Phil already.

A necessary evil in case new viewers/others don't know about the Hype-Train.

The same applies to how to contributetm, (!tip, !cheer, etc), however in this case, it is part of the Plugs-segment, the favourite section of most regulars. Why would they be there if they didn't have a passion for the plugs?