The King of Hate Forums
babymngaming456

Paypal Micropayments, 5 cents fee instead of 30

https://blog.streamelements.com/paypal-micropayments-get-more-money-in-your-pocket-with-streamelements-964eee464977

PayPal has a program for Business Accounts called “Micropayments” (currently available only to streamers from the United States). This program changes the fee rates that you get when receiving payments from other users. The idea behind it is that businesses that process a large number of small dollar transactions end up getting a larger chunk of fees taken out (that base fee of 30 cents is a large amount out of a $1 payment), so the fee structure compensates for that. Instead of 30 cents plus 2.9% of the value, the Micropayments fee structure takes just 5 cents, plus 5%.

1. When it worked, Paypal would only do it for major companies who were processing thousands of dollars of transactions a day, and millions of dollars a year.

2. The service has been defunct for a while. Just take a look at the comments on the OP's blog post: people called Paypal about it and got told it doesn't exist anymore.

21 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

I assume Phil contacted Paypal about it like they mention it "To update or apply for the micropayments pricing, give us a call", which would be common sense, and knows what he's talking about.

24 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

I assume Phil contacted Paypal about it like they mention it "To update or apply for the micropayments pricing, give us a call", which would be common sense, and knows what he's talking about.

When Phil was telling the story on stream, he mentioned that he thought it was not viable because it was defunct. The cause of that thinking were two comments on the website he visited. I do not think he ever mentioned going to the official PayPal page or looking into it by calling PayPal to learn more about the program; whether it be the existence of the program or if it will apply to him.

30 cents is not that much for to fork over to PayPal for each transaction. If its hurting Phil that badly then disable $1 donations and require $3 - $5. The overall donations are most certainly going to drop but at that point you have to decide how greedy you want to be for your own livelihood.

1 hour ago, Another_Derich said:

I do not think he ever mentioned going to the official PayPal page or looking into it by calling PayPal to learn more about the program

I'm sure Phil has enough common sense to contact Paypal about it.

2 hours ago, TheZipperDragon said:

he probably can't figure out how to turn it on

That's a bold claim. What if he called them, and they explained it to him that he's not eligible for whatever reason & it's not possible? (You know there's a lot of small text.)

On 2/4/2020 at 2:41 AM, MoraMoria said:

That's a bold claim. What if he called them, and they explained it to him that he's not eligible for whatever reason & it's not possible? (You know there's a lot of small text.)

he doesn't call, email only

3 hours ago, TheZipperDragon said:

he doesn't call, email only

He just made a call some weeks ago as part of the bankruptcy process he's going through. He's going to call if it's important, I'd say, which includes PayPal issues.

22 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

He just made a call some weeks ago as part of the bankruptcy process he's going through. He's going to call if it's important, I'd say, which includes PayPal issues.

text msg only