The King of Hate Forums
BillWalter

Why does phil always use the same excuse for fighting games?

I didn't do that, online pattern, medium shouldn't beat light, random super, random x, he's mashing!

It makes me think that the only fighter he was ever good at was super turbo, and he just can't adapt to opponents. When they punish him with a raw super because he wasn't being defensive he says it's random.

Also, I've never heard of an online pattern combo, nothing like that really exists in modern fighting games. I think Phil would enjoy himself if he admitted he was not that great and just tried to have fun instead of making excuses.

Like when he played COD BLOPS4 multiplayer, I think a lot of this is fake rage for entertainment.

Now if you find it entertaining, that's another thing. A lot of people apparently do. A lot of people also like staring at menus, who are you to judge?

Edited by babymngaming456

With the online-pattern thing, I think he means that they're exploiting an easy to execute combo, that works specially good online, because the only way for him to get out easily would be by reacting in some way that the lag does not allow him when online.

That's why he said that if they were to do that offline, without lag, they'd get punished: "You can't do that offline, doesn't work! You'll get destroyed! But see, that's all they know how to do, because they know they can get away with it... what a scrub..."

[Not a direct quote, just improvised.]

There's really no specific online pattern combo that just works online, obviously the opponent was just able to do their regular bnb and phil couldn't react to it.

The rages are funny but the annoying thing is when he says "this isn't earned" when phil himself is new at the game and doesn't have a clue about the mechanics.

I've been playing fighting games for years and I've always found joy in watching Phil make excuses for losing and gloat when he wins. I'm going to try and break down the things he does bad in his gameplay —

1. He jumps way too much
    • Jump is a risk because it leaves you open to attack because you don't have any defensive measures. Unless there's a defensive mechanic in the game, such as parrying or air blocking to make it less risky.
  2. He throws out moves or EX moves without knowing if they'll connect
    • I've watched several videos of Phil throwing out random moves living him completely open for a counter hit. Or even worse, he'll throw out an EX move and just wastes meter without really knowing how to utilize it properly.
  3. He focuses on specials instead of normals
    • Like the above statement, he throws out specials and completely leaves himself open. Instead of jumping to get close to the opponent, he should walk forward and occasionally crouch block, then move forward again. During this process, he should use normal moves with short animation frames so that if they're blocked, he can block in case of a counter. Once he confirms a normal hit, then do a special.

All in all, Phil knows how to play Street Fighter, but his inflated ego keeps him from actually getting better at fighting games.