The King of Hate Forums
BillWalter

Phil should play games on easy from now on.

That'll give him time for more positive interaction with chat, and to have fun with the game and understand its mechanics, seeing as in easy mode they always drop hints. As someone who barely pays attention to the game because his attention is split between it and the chat, this would be worth it. Plus, his reaction time and skill isn't too great for fast paced games, so this will make him feel like he's accomplishing stuff in game.

I would never touch an arena shooter with a controller. COD works fine because enemies just stand there.

Mouse and keyboard are the best fit for a game where side-dash is key for survival.

• Upvote 1

If Phil is gonna be the guy who complains that enemies can hurt him from behind, then I agree. Maybe he should play on Easy or at least be more willing to lower the difficulty if he's finding the game too frustrating, assuming the game he's playing has difficulty settings of course.

14 hours ago, kill-chan said:

I would never touch an arena shooter with a controller. COD works fine because enemies just stand there.

Mouse and keyboard are the best fit for a game where side-dash is key for survival.

Doom Eternal is fantastic but I can't imagine playing this with controller.  A normal FPS is bad enough with one, let alone a game this fast paced.

I've been hearing some rumblings about people not liking DoomE but I love it as much as the first. What are people's issues with it? Is it the jumping puzzles? I get that they aren't very Doom-like but I've enjoyed them a lot so far.

I'm probably in a minority here but I play a few games on easy, mostly JRPGS because I despise grinding. If it would get him to enjoy the games more, I would support it. My biggest complaint with games is how often he gets frustrated. It's not like in the past where he had over the top reactions, these days it's just pure salt whenever things are going badly and that's not fun to watch.

Some detractors would give him shit but they're going to give him shit regardless.

4 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

What are people's issues with it?

That it's nothing like Doom. Some people want classic Doom with modern graphics and controls.

And because the gameplay loop is shit. Jump, dash, low ammo, chainsaw, low health, glory kill, switch to plasma, switch to shotgun, switch to grenade, switch to RPG, and repeat this forever. You are not playing the game, the game plays you.

2 hours ago, JeffBezosRightNut said:

My biggest complaint with games is how often he gets frustrated.

Because devs make every game like Dark Souls.

1 minute ago, babymngaming456 said:

Because devs make every game like Dark Souls.

I feel like there's a solution here. He shouldn't play games he doesn't like. I know back in the youtube days it was important to play and beat all of the major releases ASAP to profit but he has people that will pay him to play anything. Minecraft is one of his more profitable games and it requires 0 skill once you learn the basic gameplay loop.

In this game, an arena shooter, you're supposed to hop from enemy to enemy, side-dash dodge incoming fire, take advantage of the stun mechanic to focus on other more dangerous enemies instead rely on glory kills it to get back the health you lost because you didn't bother with dodging fire.

We'll never know how well Phil would do on PC, but playing this with a controller , while forcing the Doom 2 playstyle on top of that... that's asking for trouble :D

5 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

That it's nothing like Doom. Some people want classic Doom with modern graphics and controls.

And because the gameplay loop is shit. Jump, dash, low ammo, chainsaw, low health, glory kill, switch to plasma, switch to shotgun, switch to grenade, switch to RPG, and repeat this forever. You are not playing the game, the game plays you.

Saying it's nothing like original Doom is a big overstatement. Besides, I'd wager that a large number of people complaining it "Isn't like Doom" never played the originals or it was so long ago they only barely remember anything about them. 

To give context to some of my following comments, I'm playing on PC. I started on Nightmare difficulty but it was taking too long for me to get through the game with all the dying (Slayer Gates on Nightmare are BRUTAL) so I dropped it down to Ultra-Violence.

I can see complaints regarding the "loop" of: Fight -> Out of Ammo -> Chainsaw -> Out of Health -> Glory Kill -> Fight.  Ammo in particular is a PITA early on. However once you get more guns and the ammo upgrades this should be less of an issue.  I've also felt like "Oh, it's the part of the fight where I run around and get health" a few times but that's happening less often now that I'm more regularly using the flame thrower and the awesome fire-chain upgrade for the Meat Hook to get armor. 

This Doom really seems to emphasize using all your tools effectively. Shotgun sticky-bombs to make easy work of Cacodemons. Sniper rifle to take out the guns on Mancubus and Revenant.  Plasma for those shield buttholes. Frost grens to control groups or to lock down really tough enemies allowing you a lot of easy(ish) dmg.  Lots of cover to split off melee enemies from ranged. Meat Hook for traversal, a breather with the slowed time, and MASSIVE damage (Super Shotgun does INSANE damage point-blank.)  Blood Punch for really good AE dmg. Flamethrower for armor.  It's a lot to keep track of for sure but it's a lot more satisfying than sticking to 2-3 guns and maybe throwing a grenade once in awhile.

That said, fuck the demon with the axe and shield. I've only run into the one and he was tedious to fight.