The King of Hate Forums

Phil, we want to help you

Recently, a user made a thread asking Phil to a debate. It did not take long at all for this thread to be closed by Phil and written off as "nothing to debate about". If this were pre-2014, I would struggle to agree but be able to see where Phil was coming from. However, I'm going to be frank and say that the claim that Phil has nothing to debate about is a lie. I have never seen Phil this hostile before, and I've been following him since 2010. I only recently stopped watching him since I was fed up with how aggressive Phil has become lately and was really rubbed the wrong way by how he handled gamer gate. Phil has been able to laugh off haters and trolls in the past, but now any person that seems like anything but a loyal fan is an enemy in Phil's eyes and his ego is going off the rails (I would mention his twitter rant about how Spoony is apparently "insanely jealous" of Phil, but he's probably going to write it off as a non-issue despite the fact that it is a disturbing sign of how Phil views other gamers).

Here's the thing. I don't "hate" Phil and I don't want to see him fail. I want to see him get back on the horse he was on content and quality wise in 2010 and 2011. I AM the kind of person that used to watch Phil to help with depression and I would feel excited whenever he read one of my questions on Ask the King. Are there people that hate Phil and want to see him fail? Absolutely, but Phil seriously needs to do a better job of recognizing that people that have issues with him and want to help him =\= haters. If people were making malicious threads called "DSP is a fucking sack of shit and should die", then Phil has every right to close the threads and call out the posters. The debate thread was not malicious at all and was by a former fan who genuinely wants to help Phil, yet he blew him off and said no one has proven themselves to be mature enough for a debate. 

In all honesty, what does it take for Phil to debate someone? Am I able to qualify for one? Phil let me create a "Civilized debate about Phil" thread and agreed with that thread's intentions. I wouldn't do it as a youtube video, I would just do it through private messaging. But am I now immature and living in the past for calling Phil out on closing 99% of the negative threads about him and ignoring people that genuinely want to help him? I don't know, and I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is closed by the time I wake up

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

​Nah, I don't think you have to go so far as to make the gaming or vlogging content PG to make it work, you just need to make sure you can keep yourself composed and try to simulate a lot of the posit

​II've given a pretty detailed bunch of positive suggestions to you on page 21 of the "RENAMED: How can Phil improve" thread.  Not sure if you read it yet, but if not, give it a whirl.

Recently, a user made a thread asking Phil to a debate. It did not take long at all for this thread to be closed by Phil and written off as "nothing to debate about". If this were pre-2014, I would st

Posted Images

Yeah, see, that's the thing that I don't get. He outright said that "If you don't like me, LEAVE." No one said that they hated Phil personally whatsoever in that thread, and no one had any desire to do this with the intention of vilifying Phil at all. There are people who legitimately want to help Phil and talk to him calmly as if it's two people having a rational discussion, nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 1

Clearly, we all want to help him. Reasons are given as to why certain things are brought up, such as the debate idea and the Dead Space 2 commentary incident. Unfortunately, he is so fixated on his own viewpoint that he dismisses any post that has the intent of helping him out in the long run. I mean, how he just bluntly said that "no one is mature enough to debate" is ridiculous. He keeps insisting on his viewpoint and calls those who say any different "insanely immature." Honestly, I do not even know at this point. He just ignores what could potentially help him. If this is how he is going to keep up, he might as well toss the idea of having a community aside.

The fact that he closed that thread almost immediately without a thought is just ridiculous. At this point Phil is driving away people from the forums and thats not good, all I want in the end is for the community to thrive and see Phil succeed. But none of that is ever going to happen if he just ignores it and just writes it off as being "haters". 

• Upvote 6

What bothers me the most about all of this is that people: his own fans and even his detractors, take some time to attempt and reach out to Phil. They take the time in hopes that he will consider what is said, only for threads and topics he disagrees with to be closed without reason. It just puts me off so much. It is not helping the community at all. I just hope that he does eventually have a more open mind towards at least some of these posts his fans and detractors have taken the time to post.

• Upvote 1

So is Phil at all interested in improving his character to rectify his abysmal view count or is the forum just meant to be an echo chamber aimed at praising him, and providing him filler content in fan art?

After all, he's the one with the problem - he's the one struggling to get the kinds of views he feels he deserves. He seems resistant to all kinds of criticism because it's not "positive" despite the nature of criticism not needing to be positive just observations made that can make others aware of an issue. If he thinks there isn't a problem then why ask for any kind of criticism? Why try and make pledges to change for the better through claims of being positive? Why insist that anything that is brought up is "irrelevant" if multiple people echo the same sentiment of issues?

Honestly, what even are the purposes of these forums?

I agree. I've been viewing a lot of past and more present videos posted by Phil and some of the content is... concerning. Some of the things said and the reactions, along with reading posts. There are times on this forum I've read posts and threads where people genuinely try to help, or make valid and constructive criticism, wanting to help you change.  I want to see these forums and Phil get better. =(

He's not going to ever debate because he knows he can't debate. Whoever debates him has evidence in the form of things he has done or said to people. It's all in video or screenshot form here on the internet. All they have to do is read back to him one of the many shitty things that he has said or done to someone and he knows there's nothing he can really say in response. Aside from some BS that nobody will believe. That's why he's so against it and why he avoids it like the plague. It's a lose/lose situation for him. He looks nervous when he refuses to ever do it but if he does do it, he knows he'll get owned with facts. And if the "haters" are civilized and nice in their discussion with him, which I'm assuming they would be, even that makes him look worse after he calls them liars/haters/idiots all the time. Avoiding it completely is the easy way out for him.

But the last excuse I ever want to hear from him about not doing it is that he "has no time" for it. Whatever. You work from home and spend most nights watching movie marathons or playing cell phone/ipad games. I think the movies/wwe mobile games can be skipped one night in favor of getting something like a debate done for an hour or two. Time is not an issue. At all.

• Upvote 1

In a debate, if the critics play their cards in a smart way, Phil can only lose, except the respect he gets to even sit down with them for a debate. He could this and that happened ages ago, but with enough evidence, critics can draw a red line through all the times of his career, with a few highlights here and there (such as his Spread The Word pre-stream from Layton vs Wright or his Lightning Returns unboxing without unboxing the game). Phil would need proof or evidence, otherwise it is his word against solid evidence, and that's him being Don Quixote fighting against windmills.

In a debate, if the critics play their cards in a smart way, Phil can only lose, except the respect he gets to even sit down with them for a debate. 

​Not that it's a matter of Phil "winning" or "losing" a debate. Even having him agree to a debate would be a win-win situation, if that showed that he'd at least be willing to listen. That's a start.

'Cause that's all it's about, really--make contact with the guy, put all our cards on the table, and talk it out.

That's all. Talking it out.

​Howard Stern isn't infamous for constant burping either. More polite than people think.

​Bullshit. I've listened to his show every single day since 2006. He CONSTANTLY burps. Followed by "Lol. I just threw up. I'm sorry. Very unprofessional." Then moves onto something else. I'm such an avid listener I can actually tell you the common trend of when he burps. Typically after the first break on the show and he eats his breakfast very quickly. He's even given this exact explanation several times saying "I burp like that, because during breaks I have to scarf my breakfast down." Typically some egg-white sandwich. You don't know what you're talking about.

​Bullshit. I've listened to his show every single day since 2006. He CONSTANTLY burps. Followed by "Lol. I just threw up. I'm sorry. Very unprofessional." Then moves onto something else. I'm such an avid listener I can actually tell you the common trend of when he burps. Typically after the first break on the show and he eats his breakfast very quickly. He's even given this exact explanation several times saying "I burp like that, because during breaks I have to scarf my breakfast down." Typically some egg-white sandwich. You don't know what you're talking about.

​So you think people should not complain about Phil burping because someone else in a different media that is way more popular does it? As you say it Stern at least excuses himself, Phil doesn't even do that very often. And by the way, do not call my opinion "bullshit". I do not use such terms and I ask you to do the same.

​even if howard stern does burp a lot, who cares? what does that have to do with phil? how dare someone call out someone you're a fanboy of right?

​If Howard Stern isn't relevant in the conversation. Explain to me why "other LPers" are. The kid didn't even name who he was talking about. You must be kidding.

​Because other LPers are his concurrence? He is not alone? He targets at the community who likes gameplay commentary like other LPers do?

​We're not talking about if burping is acceptable in the gaming community.

We're talking about if burping is acceptable in a professional environment, which is why Howard Stern was brought up.

To you, and the other individual. They're equally relevant.

​If Howard Stern isn't relevant in the conversation. Explain to me why "other LPers" are. The kid didn't even name who he was talking about. You must be kidding.

​because phil is an LPer like everyone els on youtube who....well does LPs, phil is not a radio host 

​He's his own boss, it's up to him how tolerable it is. He is his own employer. Something you don't know about I'm guessing?

​Being his own boss does not mean that you can set up new standards and call it professional, when the majority of the community does otherwise. This is common business practice. Burping in commentary is not professional, it does not make any difference who is his boss or not and btw Machinima is his boss.