The King of Hate Forums
GK1138

Phil, we want to help you

As a direct result of feedback/criticism on the forums, today I played Dying Light and had a whole new attitude.

I didn't blame the game when I failed (and I did fail, a LOT) but instead just accepted that there's a difficulty curve you need to learn/get around. I actually got a bit better at combat, utilizing the dodge which I hadn't previously; it was STILL tough but I was able to succeed after a few deaths.

I didn't say "this game sucks" and I laughed off a bunch of stuff that normal I'd probably flip out about.

The stream chat viewers seemed pleasantly pleased with it and asked me to try and do so more in the future.

If you've been criticizing me for the above - give today's batch of Dying Light vids a shot, and let me know what you think.

​I will give you credit that you at least tried to seem positive, but I could tell that you wanted to rage. You have a lot more than one stream to earn everyones trust back. Oh and that stuff you were doing in the prestream where you were constantly complaining and complaining about people you thought were complaining was something that you need to work on. If people are skeptical, they have their reasons so respect those reasons and realize that you have to earn their trust back.

• Upvote 3

As a direct result of feedback/criticism on the forums, today I played Dying Light and had a whole new attitude.

I didn't blame the game when I failed (and I did fail, a LOT) but instead just accepted that there's a difficulty curve you need to learn/get around. I actually got a bit better at combat, utilizing the dodge which I hadn't previously; it was STILL tough but I was able to succeed after a few deaths.

I didn't say "this game sucks" and I laughed off a bunch of stuff that normal I'd probably flip out about.

The stream chat viewers seemed pleasantly pleased with it and asked me to try and do so more in the future.

If you've been criticizing me for the above - give today's batch of Dying Light vids a shot, and let me know what you think.

​I'll fire a few up tonight.  I'm glad you're seeing some pleased results.  Some advice, get the grapple move, enhanced grapple and the stomp finisher.  Using the grapple is done with your grapple button and a direction at the same time.  It sounds complicated, but if you sit there and hold the grapple button, then mash a direction as the zombie is closing in with an attack animation, you'll auto swing them in the direction you mashed.  The enhanced grapple, once unlocked, will make the zombies fall on their face when a grapple is done.  Then you can use the stomp finisher on them.  Saves a lot of durability on your weapons, rather than bashing their heads in over and over.

• Upvote 3

​I will give you credit that you at least tried to seem positive, but I could tell that you wanted to rage.

​'Rager, Rager' starring Jim Carrey.

​I'll fire a few up tonight.  I'm glad you're seeing some pleased results.  Some advice, get the grapple move, enhanced grapple and the stomp finisher.  Using the grapple is done with your grapple button and a direction at the same time.  It sounds complicated, but if you sit there and hold the grapple button, then mash a direction as the zombie is closing in with an attack animation, you'll auto swing them in the direction you mashed.  The enhanced grapple, once unlocked, will make the zombies fall on their face when a grapple is done.  Then you can use the stomp finisher on them.  Saves a lot of durability on your weapons, rather than bashing their heads in over and over.

​Sounds like great advice to Phil, if only he would learn to edit his videos.

I'll say one thing in regards to the "get a real job" line of suggestion, and please don't take this as offensive or mean-spirited, because it's not at all.

You have absolutely no idea how much money I make/have made doing YouTube/Twitch/streaming in the past, present or future. You have no idea how much money I made at my previous office job, or how much I could make getting a new similar job, or just another job in general.

I'll tell you this: If I were to significantly cut down on YouTube - let's say, I made only 30% of the videos that I make now (and therefore 30% of the income roughly) - so that I could get a job that was EQUIVALENT to my old one (which, by the way, almost doesn't exist anymore and it's incredibly unlikely I'd get that after being out of the workforce for 4 years)...

...well, I can tell you right now that just staying the course with what I'm doing now on YouTube, despite "declining views" and assuming that things don't at least stabilize or turn around? I'd still make more money just doing YouTube. 

I certainly won't be rich, I won't be able to spend lots of money and it will probably take me a decade or more to get out of the debt I accrued moving to Washington (that will be relieved a LOT once I'm able to sell the old condo in CT which is bleeding me dry monthly), but staying on YouTube makes more logical and financial sense than "going out there to find another office job." 

Anyone who says that "getting a normal job" is the solution here 1. hasn't ever done this kind of thing for a living and 2. has no understanding of the actual job/financial situation in America.

I'm not trying to be offensive here at all, BTW - i'm just stating the truth. Most people have no concept of how much money YouTubers actually make. EVERYONE has different fluctuating contracts and deals and nobody can talk about it due to non-disclosure agreements. My "legacy contract" with Machinima is one of the most lucrative ones IN ALL OF ON DEMAND VIDEO (since it's NOT ad-performance based) and I'd be an insane idiot to stop/reduce making video content to go get an office job, taking an insanely huge pay cut and screwing myself over financially. 

So i'll say it once: stop saying "get a real job" because you're misinformed and don't know what you're talking about.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy today's Dying Light vids, which I'm adding to playlist right now.

• Upvote 2

I certainly won't be rich, I won't be able to spend lots of money and it will probably take me a decade or more to get out of the debt I accrued moving to Washington (that will be relieved a LOT once I'm able to sell the old condo in CT which is bleeding me dry monthly), but staying on YouTube makes more logical and financial sense than "going out there to find another office job." 

​Okay... so what after that? What's your exit strategy (retirement, etc.)? Have you even thought of that?

Just watched the first three parts and to be honest, if I put myself in the shoes of someone who hadn't seen Phi's content or known him as a rager, I'd not think he was holding anything back, he seemed good-natured about the challenge.  Will continue watching...

Just watched the first three parts and to be honest, if I put myself in the shoes of someone who hadn't seen Phi's content or known him as a rager, I'd not think he was holding anything back, he seemed good-natured about the challenge.  Will continue watching...

​It's an anger/temper thing. I have anger issues and have had them for a long time. I need to learn/work on controlling it and not letting it flow into the gameplay anymore, if it's become SUCH a huge issue that people are now angry/turned off from my content because of it.

• Upvote 2

​Okay... so what after that? What's your exit strategy (retirement, etc.)? Have you even thought of that?

​There's no exit strategy for anyone in America right now. Jobs are scarce, unreliable and you can get laid off at a moment's notice. I'm happy just to be okay for a few months at a time. 

This isn't just me saying this - anyone who didn't get some cushy job guaranteed to them because they're in the "upper rung" of society are pretty much in the same boat (i.e. the entire middle class).

I thought I was secure at my old office job, and look how that turned out.

​There's no exit strategy for anyone in America right now. Jobs are scarce, unreliable and you can get laid off at a moment's notice. I'm happy just to be okay for a few months at a time. 

This isn't just me saying this - anyone who didn't get some cushy job guaranteed to them because they're in the "upper rung" of society are pretty much in the same boat (i.e. the entire middle class).

​Phil, I don't have a cushy job. Right now, I'm doing fine with what I have but I do have a plan. I have made sure to get a 401K set up, and invest into it. I have a plan for retirement and for the future. If something happens to this job, I have enough money in my savings to be fine for a while until something else comes along. 

Nice to see that your staying interactive in this thread Phil.

​Quick question and sorry for it being off-topic, but how well off is someone if they graduate from high school but doesn't proceed with college? I am not sure whether I want to have my family spend more money simply to go to college and then have more money to pay off. I would rather just get my high school diploma and move on getting a job, getting a bank account started and such.

​Quick question and sorry for it being off-topic, but how well off is someone if they graduate from high school but doesn't proceed with college? I am not sure whether I want to have my family spend more money simply to go to college and then have more money to pay off. I would rather just get my high school diploma and move on getting a job, getting a bank account started and such.

​It depends on what you what want to get into.

​I gotta agree with Jake. These day, a college degree is almost as necessary as a Bachelors to get any kind of good paying job. Due to the job market and the amount of people in the country, many employers have had to up the ante on what will qualify for certain jobs. Not trying to scare you or anything, just stating fact.

​It's off-topic, but you're fucking yourself over by not getting an education if you have the opportunity to do so. College isn't just about a degree either, you do some serious growing up and learn a lot of valuable life-lessons that will help you later in life. You can never have too much knowledge either.

• Upvote 3

I'll say one thing in regards to the "get a real job" line of suggestion, and please don't take this as offensive or mean-spirited, because it's not at all.

You have absolutely no idea how much money I make/have made doing YouTube/Twitch/streaming in the past, present or future. You have no idea how much money I made at my previous office job, or how much I could make getting a new similar job, or just another job in general.

I'll tell you this: If I were to significantly cut down on YouTube - let's say, I made only 30% of the videos that I make now (and therefore 30% of the income roughly) - so that I could get a job that was EQUIVALENT to my old one (which, by the way, almost doesn't exist anymore and it's incredibly unlikely I'd get that after being out of the workforce for 4 years)...

...well, I can tell you right now that just staying the course with what I'm doing now on YouTube, despite "declining views" and assuming that things don't at least stabilize or turn around? I'd still make more money just doing YouTube. 

Anyone who says that "getting a normal job" is the solution here 1. hasn't ever done this kind of thing for a living and 2. has no understanding of the actual job/financial situation in America.

I'm not trying to be offensive here at all, BTW - i'm just stating the truth. Most people have no concept of how much money YouTubers actually make. EVERYONE has different fluctuating contracts and deals and nobody can talk about it due to non-disclosure agreements. My "legacy contract" with Machinima is one of the most lucrative ones IN ALL OF ON DEMAND VIDEO (since it's NOT ad-performance based) and I'd be an insane idiot to stop/reduce making video content to go get an office job, taking an insanely huge pay cut and screwing myself over financially. 

So i'll say it once: stop saying "get a real job" because you're misinformed and don't know what you're talking about.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy today's Dying Light vids, which I'm adding to playlist right now.

​Phil, there are job workforces out there to help people that can't find a job on their own. Maybe you could find a workforce in your area if your Youtube career doesn't work out?

There's no exit strategy for anyone in America right now. Jobs are scarce, unreliable and you can get laid off at a moment's notice. I'm happy just to be okay for a few months at a time. 

​Please stop with these absurd excuses and mis-characterizations of the US job market.  They might fool your teen fans that have never held a full-time job in their lives, but they sound ridiculous to me, a 27 year-old working a white collar job.  

The US economy is decent right now.  Not great, but significantly improved from when you were laid off in 2010.  I'm not in the "upper rung of society" and applied for a job like anyone else, and got it.  If you have any marketable skills, then finding a job in Seattle is not that difficult; it's a hot-bed for start-ups and big companies alike.  

If you would rather do Youtube because playing games for 6+ hours a day while starting streams late is easier and (for now) pays better, fine.  But don't whine and claim the job market is impossible, because it's not.  Not even close.  

• Upvote 2

​I gotta agree with Jake. These day, a college degree is almost as necessary as a Bachelors to get any kind of good paying job. Due to the job market and the amount of people in the country, many employers have had to up the ante on what will qualify for certain jobs. Not trying to scare you or anything, just stating fact.

​If he was to go for X-ray technician he could find a job pretty quickly as a lot of hospitals are looking for those. It may not be what he wants to do but it is a way to find a quick job so you have enough money to go back to school to do what you want to do.

You should always go to college when you have the opportunity because otherwise you won't really make it in the world.

​Sorry but jobs are not scarce. Unemployment right now is at a 7 year low, at 5.6%. 

To say nobody has an exit strategy right now is insulting to me and the other hard-working (not saying that you're not, so please don't ban me) Americans out there who have been fiscally responsible.

​It's an anger/temper thing. I have anger issues and have had them for a long time. I need to learn/work on controlling it and not letting it flow into the gameplay anymore, if it's become SUCH a huge issue that people are now angry/turned off from my content because of it.

​Everything in moderation, I say.  Everyone needs a safety valve.  Lord knows I'd blush if people heard me carrying on at games sometimes.

You're in a different position though because the spotlight is on you; you have to think about how it sounds to others.  The excuses may be a mere reflex, but not everyone will appreciate that.  I think it's when it crosses a line into 'excessive' (whatever that is) or unjustifiably deflecting blame from onesself to the game/developers that people get cross.

*EDIT Perhaps I shouldn't try and discourage you from the effort you're making, though, if that's what it sounds like.  It sounds like it could help you in a direct way and not just the quality of your content.

I want to apologize for being impulsive and bringing this thread off-topic. I have a very bad habit of acting before thinking about what I do. I am just sick of all the college applications that my school keeps shoving in my face and make it look seem like that if I do not go to college, I'll be nothing but a hobo. Though enough about my teenage woes.

I will keep in mind everyone's suggestions though and take them seriously. Back to the topic at hand.

[BACK TO TOPIC BELOW]

The job thing should be considered if the worst case scenario happens and Phil finds himself in a bind. Not sure how much it costs over in Washington to maintain the house or pay bills. Not saying Phil should IMMEDIATELY start searching for a job, so do not misunderstand me Phil. Just try to make sure your future is secured and take everything in consideration.

-Triforcedlink 1/30/15 

Phil I am going to be as polite as I can but I wont hold anything back..you decided to move and buy a house knowing that your "business" is at a low point and you are having trouble getting any new fans so you reap what you sow Phil... you have to live within your means sure  I would like to own a big house and drive a really nice car and have a the little things I think I deserve but the reality is if I cannot afford it in the long run then  I am damn sure not going to live a lifestyle I cannot afford. Youtube is very unstable when it comes to making a full time living and you decided to take a  shot at it but you have to know that it wont last forever right? Of course the fact that you have not been in the workforce for years will hurt but that does not mean you wont find a job! you might have to start off working somewhere where you wont make a salary you think you deserve but you just have to work your way up and adapt to the situation your in.. thats something we all have to deal with and most of us don't have the luxury of living a comfortable lifestyle off of Youtube. I am just giving you some advice for you if sometime in the future you wont be able to make a full time living off of youtube anymore.

• Upvote 4

​Good for you. A little positivity goes along way. Keep it up and the positivity will keep flowing. I won't add a "but" because that defeats the purpose and just causes more frustration on your end. Can't have a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" moment when you have at least listened, and tried.