The King of Hate Forums
GK1138

Phil, we want to help you

At the very basic level, saying you're up to your neck in debt while at the same time telling people you're leasing a BMW is a very bad idea. It sends some serious mixed signals and people will call you out on it. As Che said above, if you're going to ask people for money, the least they expect is that you live within your means. I know that the BMW is good for your back, but with the amount of driving you do, I'm sure a less expensive car would be just fine.

I know it's a touchy subject, but the Supercard debacle is also a terrible mixed signal. You publicly admitted to spending "hundreds of dollars" on WWE Supercard, and while you might say that is "private and none of our business", it still matters when you're telling people you're ostensibly strapped for cash. How would you feel if John Rambo was in need of financial support, and he blew the 100$ you threw his way on virtual currency is various mobile games? It's the same thing; these are real people feeling that want to support you because they care about you. You're indirectly giving them the middle finger while laughing all the way to the bank, so to speak. You simply cannot send out the signal of being in financial woes and then publicly spend big on superfluous hobbies. It certainly doesn't help that your fanbase is quite young either, seeing as the $200 you spent on Supercard is a lot of money to them. These are the same people that you're asking to help financially support you.

You cannot just sweep this stuff under the rug with a "This is private and none of your business" when you publicly admit/purposely tell your fans these things. You gave a tour of your leased BMW, you drink expensive bottled water on camera and so on. Yes, it is your personal business, but you're sharing that information with the public while at the same time asking people to sustain a lifestyle that is more than likely much more extravagant than their own.

Most of your fanbase is teens, people whom wish for consoles for Christmas and games on their birthdays; you bought 4+ different headsets in the $150 range and 4+ different capture devices just to test them out. I can't even afford to do that; a single one of those headsets would've been a fairly sizable investment for me, and I'm certainly not in any position to ask people for financial help.

It can feel like you're asking people to bail you out, but aren't willing to put in the effort yourself to better the situation.

• Upvote 6

Still think Phil has years ahead of him before his youtube job starts to pay less than a regular job. This is IF the views were to keep declining..but seeing as youtube is very unstable that can't be predicted.

If your gaming channel ever hits a low you could switch to a full time vlogger.  Those vids get quite the following. :smile:

​Phil, I don't have a cushy job. Right now, I'm doing fine with what I have but I do have a plan. I have made sure to get a 401K set up, and invest into it. I have a plan for retirement and for the future. If something happens to this job, I have enough money in my savings to be fine for a while until something else comes along. 

​If I'd wanted to stay in my tiny, cramped condo that I'd outgrown and wouldn't have a good life living with Leanna in, I could have stayed in CT and had money in savings, and little to no debt, while pissing away tons of money a year on high taxes and nothing positive at all. But I took a chance (one of the many in my life) moving out here, drained that savings, racked up debt and here I am. 

Once the debt is paid off, then it's time to start saving up for the future again. We don't foresee moving from here anytime in the near future, and we'd prefer to be here for the long-haul, so I don't think we'd have a problem with that as long as I can stay the course. But yeah - no YouTube, then it's panic-mode, just like if you lost your job and POOF nothing else in the sector to get a job in, which is what happened with me in 2010.

Still think Phil has years ahead of him before his youtube job starts to pay less than a regular job. This is IF the views were to keep declining..but seeing as youtube is very unstable that can't be predicted.

If your gaming channel ever hits a low you could switch to a full time vlogger.  Those vids get quite the following. :smile::smile::smile:

​The sad but true thing: if I were to start talking about religion, politics, current events and celebrities in an edited vlog-style like MOST big YouTube vloggers, I bet I'd get tons of attention (good and bad). But that's not what I want to do. I love games and I hope I can keep making this work.

​If I'd wanted to stay in my tiny, cramped condo that I'd outgrown and wouldn't have a good life living with Leanna in, I could have stayed in CT and had money in savings, and little to no debt, while pissing away tons of money a year on high taxes and nothing positive at all. But I took a chance (one of the many in my life) moving out here, drained that savings, racked up debt and here I am. 

Once the debt is paid off, then it's time to start saving up for the future again. We don't foresee moving from here anytime in the near future, and we'd prefer to be here for the long-haul, so I don't think we'd have a problem with that as long as I can stay the course. But yeah - no YouTube, then it's panic-mode, just like if you lost your job and POOF nothing else in the sector to get a job in, which is what happened with me in 2010.

​Fair point. In the mean time, does she (Leanna) plan to provide some form of contribution to assist financially?

​The sad but true thing: if I were to start talking about religion, politics, current events and celebrities in an edited vlog-style like MOST big YouTube vloggers, I bet I'd get tons of attention (good and bad). But that's not what I want to do. I love games and I hope I can keep making this work.

​Hmm I was thinking more along the lines of a gaming related vlogger. Gaming reviews, tests and discussions about current gaming news/events.   Those 30- 45 minute Sony/Microsoft press conference discussion videos you did were received well.

At the very basic level, saying you're up to your neck in debt while at the same time telling people you're leasing a BMW is a very bad idea. It sends some serious mixed signals and people will call you out on it. As Che said above, if you're going to ask people for money, the least they expect is that you live within your means. I know that the BMW is good for your back, but with the amount of driving you do, I'm sure a less expensive car would be just fine.

I know it's a touchy subject, but the Supercard debacle is also a terrible mixed signal. You publicly admitted to spending "hundreds of dollars" on WWE Supercard, and while you might say that is "private and none of our business", it still matters when you're telling people you're ostensibly strapped for cash. How would you feel if John Rambo was in need of financial support, and he blew the 100$ you threw his way on virtual currency is various mobile games? It's the same thing; these are real people feeling that want to support you because they care about you. You're indirectly giving them the middle finger while laughing all the way to the bank, so to speak. You simply cannot send out the signal of being in financial woes and then publicly spend big on superfluous hobbies. It certainly doesn't help that your fanbase is quite young either, seeing as the $200 you spent on Supercard is a lot of money to them. These are the same people that you're asking to help financially support you.

You cannot just sweep this stuff under the rug with a "This is private and none of your business" when you publicly admit/purposely tell your fans these things. You gave a tour of your leased BMW, you drink expensive bottled water on camera and so on. Yes, it is your personal business, but you're sharing that information with the public while at the same time asking people to sustain a lifestyle that is more than likely much more extravagant than their own.

Most of your fanbase is teens, people whom wish for consoles for Christmas and games on their birthdays; you bought 4+ different headsets in the $150 range and 4+ different capture devices just to test them out. I can't even afford to do that; a single one of those headsets would've been a fairly sizable investment for me, and I'm certainly not in any position to ask people for financial help.

It can feel like you're asking people to bail you out, but aren't willing to put in the effort yourself to better the situation.

​The things you're referencing are completely misrepresented.

Some are in the past - YEARS in the past (the headsets were in early to mid 2013) before the massive drop-off in views this past June.

The BMW lease was renewed because if I didn't get another BMW, I was going to have to pay thousands of dollars in penalties for returning the car early, they REDUCED my payment from the previous lease, and the maintenance is 100% covered. It's not expensive at ALL in comparison with cars that require tons of gas/repairs etc., but they DO require you to have great credit to get approved; that's actually more of the hurdle than the monthly payments are. Anyone saying "leasing a BMW is expensive" hasn't done research, especially with the lower-end models. And again, this was done BEFORE the drop-off in June, and can't be undone now.

Things like WWE Supercard are absolutely ridiculous because they're based on forum posts on ANOTHER forum, where I gave vague info and no specifics - it's incredibly stalker-ish. I've since quit the game in the past month and deleted it from all of my mobile devices bc it's another one of those "you must pay to keep playing or else just lose constantly" kind of deals now, and I'm very much done with that. People completely made shit up when it came to that game and literally followed me in the game and forums to try and guestimate how much time/money I spent on a mobile game - all before I ever announced I'd be doing a Patreon, by the way. I've purposely quit the game because I cannot afford to put money into it.

"You drink expensive bottled water on camera" - what?! This doesn't even make sense. Are you referencing me drinking Fuji water YEARS ago, again before any decline in views or income? I drink brita filtered water in my stein every single day (and have for the past 4-5 years) so I have no idea what you're talking about.

All of this is incredibly misinformed and honestly, none of anyone's business. People who are trying to formulate arguments that "Phil is living the high live and asking for money" are out of their minds with either 1. misinformation, 2. drama or 3. jealousy. I've NEVER asked for donations until this point in the entire time I've done this full-time since 2011, and if my views ever got back to where they once were I'd again stop accepting donations/Patreon support  - all during which, by the way, many other YouTubers/streamers HAVE accepted donations. So before you get on my case for silly misinformation, you might want to jump on them first, because anybody with more views that me who asks for donations/Patreon support is making WAY more than me.

​Fair point. In the mean time, does she (Leanna) plan to provide some form of contribution to assist financially?

​You mean the fact she's starting her own soap/wax tart making business which will be launching shortly? With its own social media set up and a set business plan for success? And that she's been spending the greater part of 2 month setting this up, and now making product for the initial launch? But honestly, that's none of your business anyway and you shouldn't be asking me about that.

​You mean the fact she's starting her own soap/wax tart making business which will be launching shortly? With its own social media set up and a set business plan for success? And that she's been spending the greater part of 2 month setting this up, and now making product for the initial launch? But honestly, that's none of your business anyway and you shouldn't be asking me about that.

​Why are you so on the defense?

​Why are you so on the defense?

​Probably because Leanna has been attacked by tons of stalkers, DOXXers, people sending death threats, hundreds of idiots calling her my "daughter" and a "leech" and the like when she's done NOTHING to deserve any of that. It's nobody's business what she does, if she works or doesn't, and she has no responsibility whatsoever to share with anyone if she's looked for a job, is doing any kind of work, etc. It has NOTHING TO DO with me or my business, at all, and therefore it's none of your business either.

​You could have just moved to a nearby state since you hated CT so much. To this day, I cannot figure out why you literally moved across the entire country and completely distanced yourself from and family and friends. If you moved to somewhere like PA, MD or whatever, they would at least be in driving/train distance.

I agree with Wanglord. Things like staying at a hotel in Seattle...when you live minutes away and could even travel without driving by using the Orca train (I've been to Seattle many times) for $2.50 it just seems weird that's affordable, but you're telling people you need Patreon due to a lot of debt. 

• Upvote 4

​Why are you whining so much?  you always complain and try to take potshots at other youtubers because they dare edit their videos and talk about subjects outside of their comfort zone.

• Upvote 6

​Probably because Leanna has been attacked by tons of stalkers, DOXXers, people sending death threats, hundreds of idiots calling her my "daughter" and a "leech" and the like when she's done NOTHING to deserve any of that. It's nobody's business what she does, if she works or doesn't, and she has no responsibility whatsoever to share with anyone if she's looked for a job, is doing any kind of work, etc. It has NOTHING TO DO with me or my business, at all, and therefore it's none of your business either.

​Hm well here's an idea, grow a thicker skin. If you know shit isn't true then why get offended? See you talked about wanting to be positive but here you are still acting negative and letting things get to you.

Now when she posts things up on Twitter about her personal business then it's no longer personal business so why take offense when people talk about the business you posted on a social website?

Now if you want to talk about her not deserving it, let's talk about the way she insults people and even baited people that are YOUR fans. There's many reasons people don't like her in your videos and it's not just her. You defend her so much for every little thing and never defend your fans. Even I wouldn't do that when I KNOW my girlfriend is wrong. So yes she has to do with crumbling views.

But let's get on topic. Why do you have to keep pointing out how positive you were? Did you forget about the pre-stream where you were saying people were complaining because they didn't just believe this whole "Hey I'm positive now guys!" do you know how many times you say that? You always say it but you always revert back to old Phil and you piss on all of your fans and other people who aren't your fans.

You have a long ways to go before we believe you or trust you.

• Upvote 5

​Excuse me, but I don't believe you needed to respond in that manner. I have been keeping the conversation civil. I expect you to do the same.

• Upvote 5

Things like WWE Supercard are absolutely ridiculous because they're based on forum posts on ANOTHER forum, where I gave vague info and no specifics - it's incredibly stalker-ish. I've since quit the game in the past month and deleted it from all of my mobile devices bc it's another one of those "you must pay to keep playing or else just lose constantly" kind of deals now, and I'm very much done with that. People completely made shit up when it came to that game and literally followed me in the game and forums to try and guestimate how much time/money I spent on a mobile game - all before I ever announced I'd be doing a Patreon, by the way. I've purposely quit the game because I cannot afford to put money into it.

​Except there is no guesstimating. You were wasting hundreds and hours on Supercard while telling us you were in debt, really needed money and too busy to edit.

100.png

40.png

30.png

12.png

• Upvote 2

​Except there is no guesstimating. You were wasting hundreds and hours on Supercard while telling us you were in debt, really needed money and too busy to edit.

100.png

40.png

30.png

12.png

​Now you can either answer for these Phil, or you can deny these and delete this. Ball is in your court.

• Upvote 5

​You always say "big Youtubers" like they're a corrupt bunch. The vloggers who chose said topics you mention is their thing especially if vlogging is their main thing. And people who vlog as a side thing don't talk about touchy subject; they video interesting parts of their daily lives. So don't generalize vloggers. If you love games, you wouldn't stop playing them because it didn't get many views and wouldn't rush the playthrough and so you can be the first LPer to beat the game.

​Phil, you make fun of others; you insult and offend them, even your own fanbase. You called yourself an equal opportunist. Leanna also insulted your fanbase and the fans got fed up with it. You did nothing but defend her. the one who stared the fire. Sure you can call people "sheep" or "idiots" for liking other Youtubers and not you, but God forbid people calling Leanna your "daughter" because of the age gap and her spoil attitude.

• Upvote 1

As a direct result of feedback/criticism on the forums, today I played Dying Light and had a whole new attitude.

I didn't blame the game when I failed (and I did fail, a LOT) but instead just accepted that there's a difficulty curve you need to learn/get around. I actually got a bit better at combat, utilizing the dodge which I hadn't previously; it was STILL tough but I was able to succeed after a few deaths.

I didn't say "this game sucks" and I laughed off a bunch of stuff that normal I'd probably flip out about.

The stream chat viewers seemed pleasantly pleased with it and asked me to try and do so more in the future.

If you've been criticizing me for the above - give today's batch of Dying Light vids a shot, and let me know what you think.

​Good for you, it's a start just don't expect praise for it as acting in that more professional manner is something that most people do naturally without thinking about it.

Also you say you are equal opportunities when it comes to mockery yet take offence when anyone mocks you or your girlfriend, maybe those who do it are also equal opportunists when it comes to such things.  Mocking jews/races etc, is that any worse than joking about you and yours?  If it works for you to excuse your more risque humour then surely you have to give your detractors the same benefits and not get too upset by it.  Maybe this hypocritical way of thinking could be something to work on perhaps?

• Upvote 2