The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 49 - February 26, 2015

Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King, now scheduled for Thursday, February 26, 2015! Thanks!

I've noticed some playthroughs such as Tales of Symphonia, Xillia 2, and Parasite Eve have been considered on hiatus for a while now. I understand why, being JRPGs meant for downtime periods, a lack of interest on either side, and/or in the case of the latter two, being close to the Hardcore gaming season. While it may be too late to go back to them, at the very least, it would be appreciated to have honest closure in future situations(ie. outright announcing discontinuing them) in order to avoid a potential backlog/misconception. Would this make sense? If not, how would you change this response?

I figured I'd ask this since I just remembered you literally had IIRC 2-3 hrs left of gameplay left for P.E..

• Upvote 4

Hey, Phil.

As you know Marvel has been doing an incredible job these past couple of years releasing their movies such as The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. However both Sony and Fox have decided to make some weird decisions with their comic book films. Already Sony has rebooted their Spider-Man films and now Fox is deciding to reboot their Fantastic Four movies. In my opinion, the Spider-Man reboot  films have been a failure and I feel like that's what's going to happen with Fantastic Four. What are your thoughts on these decisions made by Fox and Sony on rebooting their comic book films?

This might essentially be 3 questions all in one so hopefully this one gets answered since this is something that prevents me from watching some of your current content Phil.

As someone who tends to stay away from a lot of your newer playthroughs due to not being spoiled, do you think it is a detriment for viewers to watch a game being played by someone else before actually getting a chance to play the game for themselves? Why should someone go and pay ___ dollars for a game if they've already seen the story, the missions and have little to no surprise of what will happen in the game? Do you think this essentially hurts the gaming industry in regards to these such let plays of newest releases?

Last year, fans of one of Shirow Masamune's masterpiece, Ghost In The Shell were dealt not only a serious blow, but an insulting one. It had been reported that not only that it was confirmed that there will be a Live-Action Hollywood Movie of GITS in 2016 but that DISNEY and DREAMWORKS will be the ones creating the movie. This became a fan uproar since everyone knows that the GITS series have always been Rated R and seeing Disney and Dreamworks' names don't bold well. And what made matters worse is that Disney casted Scarlet Johannson, to portray the iconic Major Motoko Kusanagi, who's body type is no where near to Motoko's nor do people believe she has what it takes to pull the character off. People are already considering this to suffer the same fate as Dragon Ball Evolution, The Last Airbender, TMNT, ect....

My question to you Phil is with all of this information present: What are your current thought to seeing Ghost In The Shell made into a Live-Action movie?

Edited by God_Revan
  • Upvote 1

hey Phil,

just wondering if you will ever go back to killer instinct on xbox one ?

the reason why I asked, They are right in the middle of season 2. Sense the last time you played they. updated the graphics, new interface, online play is working really good now. And some of the new characters have stage finishers, with the next character coming really soon. have you consider coming back ?

thanks again.

Hi Phil

Just wanted your thoughts on why some of the latest movies and/or video games (especially) have been getting some very bad endings. I have noticed in recent years like in 2013, 2014 and maybe soon 2015 ect.. we have been getting some games and/or movies that just end on a bad note or we don't fully understand it or even maybe it ends on a cliffhanger. It seems to be a patter of way more (so called) bad ending we have been seeing in games and movies. I just don't get how a game for "ex" can have good characters, graphics, story ect.. and just end on a bad or confusing note that made the game so deflating. I just don't understand how some (in my mind) have a good story and just botched the ending. Is it because the game or movie might have a sequel coming or a DLC ending? It feels when I see a movie or play a game I am not getting the full experience of it with so many bad endings. I just don't get it bc I would think it is not hard to come up with a good ending if the rest of the movie or game was great up until that point.

Thanks,

Bryan

Phil,

I wanted to ask you this question earlier, but didn't get the chance.  We recently passed the second anniversary of the horrific massacre that happened in Sandy Hook, CT.  As a former resident of the state, do you have any memories of Sandy Hook/Newtown?  Did you ever go there or live near it?  What was it like?  Also, there is a movement on the Internet which is quite large that claims the entire incident was a hoax perpetrated by the government to drum up support for gun control.  Just Google search "Sandy Hook" and some of the first things that will appear are "Sandy Hook hoax", "Sandy Hook conspiracy", "Sandy Hook actors", etc.  Many of these people have gone as far as to harass the families of the victims and other people involved in the case.  What do you think it says about modern America and the Internet when large numbers of people behave this way in response to two dozen young children being killed?

Hey Phil, I've asked this question before and have heard similar questions asked to guests by Howard Stern on his show and I know that sex is a topic that has definitely come up in your playthroughs throughout the years. Some people see sex as an entirely untouchable subject, I myself feel as though I'm a very sexually liberated person and feel the same about you. My question is, could you give us some of your perspective on sex? Thanks.

Over the years, games have started to become increasingly easy to beat. Big companies have adjusted the difficulty and game play mechanics of their games to suit larger crowds and gain more profit. It benefits them, but does it really benefit us and our gaming experience? Do you feel games are going the right direction in terms of difficulty?  Do you prefer games to be incredibly challenging, a cakewalk, or somewhere in the middle?                                                           

And a question I'm dying to know, will you do a playthrough of Ninja Gaiden 2 on Xbox 360 or PS3?                                                                                                                   

Hey Phil, I'm a long time viewer but this is my first time asking a question.

The first video I saw of yours was the 'ALERT! Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN Gaming Videos and Streams EVERYWHERE' video and I subbed pretty much straight away. However a few weeks/months later I unsubbed from your channel. The reasoning behind this was that my subscriptions feed was being taken over by all your uploads. I'm currently still unsubbed but I have a link to your channel page in my bookmarks and check it daily although I am subbed to THEKINGOFHATEVLOGS. Do you think this could be the case for alot of your viewers? 

Also, a couple of suggestions for downtime games. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [N64 or 3DS], The Lost Vikings [SNES] and Kaizo Mario World [SNES - Rom hack].

• Upvote 1

Hi Phil, I was wondering in the past you had a p.o. box for fans to send gifts to you. You eventually close it because it was too expensive and you were moving from connerticut to seattle, washington. My question is, are you planning to open another p.o. box for fans to send you gifts and when are you planning to do so?

Hey phil

i have been a fan of you for a while now. i know that you are friends with the AireaidLord and i saw that he was on a podcast on son of kojima and also made a video about you. the things he said about you are miss treating your fans, say you are saying things on twitter and saying that your a victim and everyone is ganging up on you. and more. but i wanted to say that some of the stuff he says is partly true and should try to change. He also said that you made a new years resolution saying that you were playing less games. he also says that says that pandalee is ruining things. he feels that you losing viwership is because of pandalee. you should watch the podcast and his video. 

please answer in ask the king

Hey phil,

There isn't much info about the game yet but are you maybe interested in playing the new gundam game for the ps4 when it is released? Maybe you don't know but gundam is an anime series which runs for like 35 years now. Just out of curiosity. Did you ever watch something of the gundam series? Thanks anyway. Keep on coming with the great content.

Bye,

Omega from the Netherlands

Hey Phil,

I know you currently have a Twitter and a Facebook but have you ever considered creating an Instagram account that you can post pictures on. 

• Upvote 1

hey Phil, Do you have any back-up plan in place just in case Youtube/Machinima somehow fails in near future and finding another partner is unsuccessful? If so, what do you plan to do? Like a few of my fave streamers, either had/have part time jobs and do this when they're not working, or recently one of them was finally able to make good $$ doing streams but they still have backup plan on where to go back to work if that ever does fail. 

• Upvote 2

Hey Phil-

How do you feel about gamers who make decisions on whether or not to buy a game based on the real life personalities of the developers? For example: Tim Shcafer of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts fame, Phil Fish, who independently developed Fez, and Anthony Burch, lead writer of Borderlands 2 and its subsequent expansions, have all gained rather negative reputations from acts like milking KickStarter and abusing their funds, shoving personal beliefs into their games, making nasty remarks to their customers over social media, or just generally having shitty attitudes towards the people who essentially put bread on their tables. Because of what many gamers see as a lack of professionalism, they've openly refrained from buying any products that these people, among others, have had any significant input in. I'd like to know your thoughts on the subject. Do you feel it's relevant to make a decision based on these factors, or is doing so equivalent to holding a petty grudge?

Thanks for your time.

• Upvote 1