The King of Hate Forums

UPDATE: Ask the King Ep. 85: NOW March 4, 2021

On 2/24/2021 at 9:18 PM, Matthew2779 said:

Hey Phil, been a huge fan of your channel since I was a kid. I have a few questions to ask you:

1. When you were a kid what were your to go to movies to watch as a kid and why were they so good to you

2. Why do you think that the pre orders for both the PS5 and Xbox Series X were a bit of a mess

3. And what games are you most anticipating for the rest of this year

4. Also have you ever been recognized by anyone in public before or has this yet to happen to you?

Hey Phil. I've been watching you on and off for the entirety of your content creating career and I've wondered something recently.

Do you feel that because you only play games when you stream, that it makes you a bit jaded towards the types of games you play or are interested in? You only seem to care about the "big new releases" by the "top developers" and dismiss anything that is small time. Hearing you say "no one cares" just because its a game that you haven't heard of is a bit ridiculous when you call yourself a life long gamer. There are many games by smaller developers (not just indie) that are a lot better than the triple A titles. You also say things like "people only care about that game because there is nothing else to play" but that is nonsense. Again, you only seem to put worth on the mainstream and most popular games. Which is crazy because even with this logic you complain that nobody gave Bugsnax a fair shot when you do the same exact thing with other smaller games. You also talk way too much about games you haven't played. You say Splatoon 2 was "the exact same game" but it had a billion changes and additions to the game,  yet you praise call of duty.

Is this just the way you view things, or do you think that only playing games when you stream has made you this way?

What are your thoughts on stock market? have you ever thought getting involved? i am having many of my friends who are investing in stocks especially Cryptocurrency (bitcoin, etherum,..etc) and they are doing day to day trading with these Cryptocurrencies, and they making decent amount of profits. 

Hey Phil, I recently started a new job where I mainly work from home with the occasional work in office when it's required. This is my first time working from home and I wanted to know if you had any general tips for me. I'm having a hard time separating my work life with my personal life because now I live where I work. How do you balance your work life and personal life and did you ever struggle trying to  maintain both because they were located in the same place. Any bit of advice is appreciated.

Yo Phil. I've been watching your content since the Mass Effect 2 dlc era, I got a few questions for you.

1. You mentioned that you were going to be getting the Mass Effect legendary edition that comes out in a couple of months, once you get how will it affect you renegade fem shepard playthrough it's not like you can take the data from your Xbox and place in the PS4/PS5 console. If you do continue the renegade playthrough will you go from ME1 on the legendary collection and work your way from there? Or will you just play 2 and go from there?

2. You mentioned many times over your streaming/Youtube career about your dislike about certain practices of how Season passes are handled, perhaps you can give a history on what game series led to the practice of Season passes and how they became what they are today? If memory serves wasn't Batman arkham knight that led you to not getting them anymore? 

3 Last question: Did you hear that Glen schofield the executive producer of the Dead space series is working on a new IP called The Castillo Protocol it's supposed be out in 2022 as we hear more information about it would you go back and replay any of the Dead Space games again? If so why or why not?

Thanks Phil.

Hey Phil,

With the recent announcement regarding Bioware's decision to discontinue all future development plans for Anthem, do you think that this decision will have a significant impact on the live-service model frequently used by developers within the industry? Over the past several years we have seen numerous development studios releasing broken/unfinished titles with promises to eventually patch the game up through various updates provided from a roadmap. A most recent example would be Cyberpunk 2077. While this business model has proven to be successful in certain cases, with games such as No Man's Sky and Final Fantasy 14 recovering following a disastrous launch, it has also proven to be a very risky move made by developers given the fact that it could very much lead to both financial loss and a damaged reputation. While I myself believe that certain developers have been using this live-service model as an excuse to hide their issues when it comes to mismanagement, I'm personally hoping that Bioware's recent failure with Anthem will serve as a wake-up call to other developers in order for them to rework their strategies and return to releasing finished quality products for their consumers.

Keep up the great work.

Hey Phil, been a long time watcher and first time caller.

I was wondering, as you’ve already been around for over a decade so far, how do you see your career going in the future? (Outside of the upgrades to your streams as you have mentioned previously on streams.) Do you have any plans to one day wind down or limit your presence online as you grow older in the decades to come? I know it can be difficult to predict anything on the internet but I was wondering what your LONG term goals may be as a virtual pioneer of streaming. 

Thank you for addressing my question and keep up the good work! 

Hey Phil, I've been following you since Metroid: Other M back in 2010, so you've been a part of my life for over 10 years. I've been a fan of yours through the highs and the lows, all the controversies and drama, and while there have certainly been things I've disagreed with you on or times when you've done some things wrong, you remain one of my favorite content creators and I can't thank you enough for pushing forward positively and continuing on in spite of the ungodly amount of hate you receive. As cheesy as it sounds, you're an inspiration, so thanks for keeping on and staying true to yourself.

I've got a few questions:

1. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC's competing film series. With Marvel, what are your favorite and least favorite movies you've seen from the MCU, and are there any notable stories from the comics you think could be cool to see in the post-Thanos movies and Disney+ shows? With DC, why do you think they've struggled so much to match Marvel's quality, do yo think they could do anything to get back a lot of fan trust, and what do you think about the Justice League "Snyder Cut" phenomenon, if you've heard about it at all?

2. Over the last few years, you've adopted "chill streams" where you sometimes play games that are somewhat secondary to the interactions with stream chat and the conversations you have with your followers. In the modern era, games like Destiny, The Division, or the Avengers have become popular in spite of their flaws as a result of addicting gameplay and a deep endgame that, while repetitive, can be very relaxing and fun to play in a more chill environment. Often times, these games have positive elements that their initial story based campaigns fail to fully deliver on, and only people who stick around and play them on a regular basis can see the depth the games sometimes have. My question is as follows: What would the developers need to do to get any of these live service games to interest you enough to consider playing one in a "chill stream" format, and why do you think they've failed to interest you up to this point?

When you review games, what are the major criteria you use to judge one against another? How important is originality versus a game that may not do anything new, but is executed really well? Where do you turn to if you are looking for a review of a game or other form of entertainment?

• Phil locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic