The King of Hate Forums

Phil’s monster hunter history lesson and what happened

Ok since i ve been a fan of monster hunter and watched phils mh stream, seeing him giving inaccurate history of him with the game feels not right to me. So i ll give u my version of history lesson since i have free time.

Mh4 ultimate - fans wanted phil to play it and he did. He solo’ed a few 1-2 star village quests and got carried to finishing guild hr3 gore magala and did enjoy it to some extent. But once the credits roll he quickly decided its the end of the game and thats that.

mhw - he isnt too keen on playing it. Tolomeo and one other guy offers to help guide him thru the game once it released. No concrete confirmation came from phil and the opportunity passed away. His fans again wanted him to try it. He tried the demo with his fans. It was a normal co-op stream until he got separated from his team and got lost in the ancient forest. He wasnt enjoying the game as much anymore and refuse to move until someone tell him what to do. He eventually reunited with his team. But it shows that his impression of the game was not good. At this point some of his fans sensed it and suggested that he shouldnt play the game if hes not enjoying it. And thats the end of the mhw pt in one stream.

Relating to co-op streams, phil has always been awkward with it so thats nothing new. It did make it harder for him to do shoutouts tho but back then he werent doing as much as today and still maintained the “do shoutouts in prestream so he doesnt have to during stream as much” narrative.

Post release mhw - a few ppl still want him to try out the game. A few reasons were given for why he wont. One of that was Tolomeo’s opinion of the game (which was taken out of context) and drama followed.

and now fast forward to present day, end of history lesson.

Ps: while theres alot of controls to remember at first, imo its not complicated. If u know gaijinhunter, a mh youtuber, his daughter around the age of 10-12 started playing mhw this year + the rise demo and managed to learn the controls just fine. If the game is inaccessible, the playerbase wouldnt have increase every new release. Thats my take on the game.

They are pretty addicting games, and really up his alley considering all the free updates and additional content that gets released every couple of months. It's too bad he couldn't get into it. It does require a lot of mechanics to learn.

I'm definitely getting it next week and I know some big streamers like Maximilian are already planning to cover it.

The thing about weapons in Monster hunter...once you know how to use a weapon it doesn't change that much going from one game to another. Sometimes they'll add a new move or make certain abilities more efficient to use. The scattershot+Greatsword tricks were cool in World.

• Like 1

perhaps we could get it one day for a viewers choice ,,,i would also prefer he stopped using the "my fans dont like it" excuse and admit he just doesn't like it

(thats a perfectly fine reason not to play something) dont know why he has to pretend he had fun when he complained the entire time 

Bummer that he didn't try Magnamalo during his demo stream. Oh well

Did anyone ever tell him how to properly use the wirebug attacks? I've only seen the first two videos and he kept trying to do wirebug attacks while his weapon was sheathed and it seems like his chat didn't tell him.

Nah thats gonna be impossible for him. I heard they use the same set up as TGS with time limit and everything. So its intentionally more difficult than usual. But could ve peaked in just to have a look at the monster i guess.

4 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

Nah thats gonna be impossible for him. I heard they use the same set up as TGS with time limit and everything. So its intentionally more difficult than usual. But could ve peaked in just to have a look at the monster i guess.

I like how he goes into intermediate and is surprised the monsters are all stronger. "The game had me on easy mode!"

Bro you probably spend 5-10 hours on low rank quests in the actual game before you hit those intermediate monsters. By that time I would hope to god that you've gotten the controls down.

Magnamalo on advanced is basically just a G Rank monster, or a Tempered monster in World.

12 hours ago, crazydan said:

rise will get a pc port perhaps in 2022 i will get that for sure since i dont have a switch i have to wait

Maybe, though you know Capcom is working on World 2. They might port Rise to tide people over or just continue on with the next mainline game.

Fuck Magnamalo is hard, dude just one shots me even at full health. Got his health down pretty low once so far...he has a fake out attack where you think he's stunned then he nails you. He pretty much has moves from a bunch of different flagship monsters like Nergigante.

aaand still got it. Took a while though with Bow solo. At least I'm competent enough to beat the intermediate monsters. Magna might have to wait until the full game.

2D831AC8-D13E-4FAF-9CCC-67893CCD161F.png

7 hours ago, Cappuccino said:

i guess pretty much no one was having trouble with the controls. *zips tea*

Can't wait, already preloaded. I'm going to try playing with the Pro controller.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cappuccino said:

Im playing when get back from work. Gonna go thru village quests first. Happy hunting!

Lucky, I'm waiting for the digital version to unlock. I was messing around in the demo trying to get better with the wirebug.

3 hours? ffffff

https://view.ccg.nintendo.com/?qs=22c0c62daaf5a09d5cf7d6a653cf45e3d033535bd2e98253b2f123c2b5e34768ab1715b682304156e34b9b1a819744c84195d8e55e8a7fe0c02c233cddc70dfc668d3e837d892c00846b1d7a90b2299a

• 2 weeks later...

Only disgusting detractor trolls want Phil to play monster hunter so they can infiltrate his party and destroy all of his progress in the game. You should understand how fucked in the head these people are: one of Phil's moderators had a grudge on him for YEARS based on made-up mentally ill troll nonsense and just recently STABBED Phil in the back with completely false out of context material trying to get Phil banned for no reason because they're jealous of him. So now it should be easy to understand why Phil CANNOT play any co-op games.

1 hour ago, dashurkaliderri said:

So now it should be easy to understand why Phil CANNOT play any co-op games.

If he plays with people who aren't trolls, then it's pretty hard to actually fuck with him. There's such a thing as Friend only hubs.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

If he plays with people who aren't trolls, then it's pretty hard to actually fuck with him. There's such a thing as Friend only hubs.

How is Phil supposed to know whether they're trolls? Like I said, Anony feigned friendship for years and did Phil's bidding as moderator only to stab Phil in the back. If I were Phil, I would view everyone surrounding me as potential crypto-detractors. What if someone says something in voice chat that gets Phil banned from Twitch? Many of Phil's supposedly loyal fans have revealed themselves to be a benedict arnold over the years. Sadly, Phil can really only trust his wife and son.

11 hours ago, dashurkaliderri said:

How is Phil supposed to know whether they're trolls?

You would think he'd at least know some people that aren't trolls, it's not complicated.

Also this is Nintendo's most popular game right now, with a huge number of people online right now. The chances of randomly being matched with a troll is extremely small.

I think it's more effort than it's worth on their part.

• Like 1

If you're like me, you have no patience. and if you have no patience you're not gonna enjoy Monster Hunter. 

You either love it or just don't wanna bother. I wouldn't , so I didn't bother with MHW.

Like, sure, you might argue that playing games is Phil's job, but you need to understand that MH requires a whole new level of dedication.

If you don't enjoy the process, MH can consume you. MH is 90% process, 7% progress and 3% dumb fun.

Don't pretend you don't know how Phil's brain works. He expects the game to establish and abide to a firm set of rules just so that he can exploit them, and sees victory as the main fun factor of a videogame.
Have you not seen him bonking every single enemy in the head with a stick in Silent Hil 2 Hard mode?

And you expect him to enjoy MH? Get real.

Edited by kill-chan
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Gezkill said:

The demo is no where near the same kinda of hardship the solo village has. Phil could have played the game but the demo soured the note.

Sad really, Rise is in my top 5 Hunter Games.

Have you watched Phil's previous MH streams/playthroughs?

And did you enjoy them?

4 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Have you watched Phil's previous MH streams/playthroughs?

And did you enjoy them?

Kinda hard to watch him play Monster Hunter when he himself didn't fully partake in the game and just quit early.

This was the same mindset when Zero Punctuation played Monster Hunter Tri and didn't get past the tutorial missions.