The King of Hate Forums

Ask the King Ep. 87: July 29, 2021

Hi Phil what would u do if summing of your property was vandalized as my dads car was the other day. Cud do with some good advice plz 

Edited by Luke

Have gaming graphics gotten worse, it doesn't make any sense why they hype up the technology and the graphics are never as good as their supposed to be. It's crazy that it's 2021 and nothing's progressed the way they've hyped it up to be. Because graphics are the main factor in game progression. It's just funny that they have these console wars and they don't matter because of the hype development over 7 years.

Edited by Finalfantasy7
Added reason for what I said

Phil, in the metaphysics of identity, the ship of Theseus is a thought experiment that raises the question of whether an object that has had all of its components replaced remains fundamentally the same object. It is supposed that the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus in a great battle was kept in a harbor as a museum piece, and as the years went by some of the wooden parts began to rot and were replaced by new ones; then, after a century or so, every part had been replaced. 

The question is whether the "restored" ship is still the same object as the original? If it is, then suppose the removed pieces were stored in a warehouse, and after the century, technology was developed that cured their rot and enabled them to be reassembled into a ship. Is this "reconstructed" ship the original ship? If it is, then what about the restored ship in the harbor being the original ship?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AspiringIndividual said:

You've been warned before about posting too many questions/topics. Stop already. Mind you, since he loves ignoring others unless you toss money at him, I can't really blame you.

Well, excuse me, princess. KGhaleon said to "keep [my] ATK questions to a few posts," and I've only posted a few times in this thread.

Oh, and lay off the detractor content a notch.

A question about graphics, diminishing returns, and fighting games

I was inspired to ask this based on your recent SF stream where you were talking about your issues with Street Fighter V. But I've also been meaning to ask for a while about your stance on graphics continuing to be pushed and how much you weigh them in an overall product.

When I watch people play older games I tend to marvel at how much they progressed. I feel like there was more ingenuity and love put into each one even with the pressure of having to step up in graphical capability. Maybe it's because I can't afford to play and appreciate many modern AAA games? Big games like these often worry more about making the game look good in trailers and building hype for the FGC etc. I also maintain some of the classic fighting games are more fun to watch because the sacrifice in graphics led to more speed - today's games look great but the bigger models are kinda slower and more clunky. They were really working with the most they had and each step up was noticeable. I think as time goes on with certain franchises or companies they focus too much on a gimmick to reel players in, and the original core of the game is lost. For example, compare your feelings on MVC 3 to the Resident Evil 2 re-make. Capcom went for more of a flashy style and lost some of the gameplay aspects that might be considered more important. For RE2, they had the difficulty of 1. balancing the old style that hardcore fans loved to stay faithful to its roots (i.e. tank control survival horror) and 2. making it broad enough that it will appeal to a wider audience (over the shoulder action shooter). The more actiony RE5 and 6 sold very well, but they were still prompted to go back somewhat to the classic style for RE7/8. That was a tough balance to strike but they managed to do something that both new and old-school players enjoyed, from what I understand.

a) How much credence do you give to the idea that games are less a labor of love now and that the "heart" of the creators of these games is now in the wrong place? What do you most attribute it to?

b) Will there be a certain point of diminishing returns with graphics being pushed over generations where they will all be amazing? And, in turn, focus will shift back to gameplay? Or might games go for different art styles to stand out? Is it really an issue to care about or are enough games good that it's inconsequential?

c) Do you still think games with a retro feel (or hinting back at them) a la Retro City Rampage, Undertale, Bloodstained, Katana ZERO still have a place in today's gaming? Is it only effective on retro gamers or do you think they can appeal to a more modern audience like me (early 20s)? Is it strange for someone like me to be retroactively nostalgic for games and such that I wasn't around for?

Sorry if this seems all over the place - feel free to read as much or as little as you want. I had a hard time piecing multiple different ideas together but wanted to throw a lot of questions at you since you said it was a struggle last time.

-- nikku

Edited by nickp136

Are you concerned about the increasing number of catalytic converter thefts in the U.S.? A catalytic converter is a component of a vehicle's exhaust system. It converts pollutants to less toxic material. Unfortunately, it takes a thief about a minute to remove one from a vehicle. They are targeted for their precious metals (platinum, palladium, and rhodium) for to be sold on the black market. As of today, platinum is worth ~$1,000 per ounce; palladium is worth ~$2,000 per ounce; and rhodium is worth ~$20,000 per ounce. Victims risk being fined if found operating a vehicle without one. In addition, the average replacement cost of a catalytic converter ranges from $500 (used) to $2,500 (new).

cc.png

Edited by MufflerBearing

1. What's with your negative vibe on Twitter? Your take on news / events are usually aggressive.

2. Why do you dismiss everyone's problems, but expect everyone to engage in yours? It's a reason why some of your fans and moderators have turned against you.

• Upvote 2
On 6/5/2021 at 7:24 AM, dosser said:

1. What's with your negative vibe on Twitter? Your take on news / events are usually aggressive.

To be fair, Phil doesn't know all the facts.

Consider the following:

Untitled1.png

Logan has been training boxing for 3 years. If Phil had known this, he may have expressed his opinion differently.

Edited by MufflerBearing
  • Upvote 1

Hey Phil I been a long time viewer since 2010, I love your gameplay content but personally one of my favorite stuff of yours to watch is the stuff you do outside of gameplay. Mainly because I like watching your videos for you but if the game isn't interesting to me or if I don't want it spoiled i end up not watching that playthrough. So my question is would you consider doing more streams that are not gameplay related, stuff where you talk on camera such as ask the king are great but I would appreciate more IRL live streaming stuff to fit in your style. I know you said you didn't wanna do cooking with the king but I think it would be very funny to watch if you live streamed yourself trying to learn a new recipe on camera.

Hey DSP

Today, my relationship of 4 years ended. Though the possibility of getting back together is there, it seems likely that I will have to move on.

How do you move on from someone/ something that’s been 1/5 of your whole life?

and

Do you hold on to the possibility of reuniting, or do you just move forward for yourself positively?

48 minutes ago, AspiringIndividual said:

1. And we don't see Kat on screen anymore.
2. Can we REALLY believe they're still married?

1. When she was on stream, she was constantly getting insulted and people were making fun of her appearance. Why should she subject herself to that?

2. LOL

49 minutes ago, AspiringIndividual said:

1. Well, she's infected Phil with her wokeness so that doesn't actually shock me.

2. I'm free to speculate.

1. Ok, but that's why she wasn't on stream. What I mentioned not the wokeness thing. 

2. Of course.

Can you help me on my homework, bruh?

In the figure below, AB and CD are perpendicular to BC, and the size of angle ACB is 31°. Find the length of segment BD.

20210612_011346.png

Edited by Chad
7 hours ago, Chad said:

Can you help me on my homework, brah?

In the figure below, AB and CD are perpendicular to BC, and the size of angle ACB is 31°. Find the length of segment BD.

20210612_011346.png

AC=11.64962416

BC=9.985676894

BD=13.44298118

• Upvote 2

With no end in sight to the global semiconductor shortage, using automated checkout bots to purchase high demand electronics items in high quantities such as graphics cards and gaming consoles, in addition to non-electronics items such as limited edition collectibles, clothing and sneakers and then reselling them for high markups over their original cost has become more lucrative than ever before with very little technical prowess required for those willing to invest the initial capital in order to get started.  Have you ever purchased something from a scalper and paid above its original cost due to it not being available at retail, or do you absolutely refuse to pay above the original cost for anything? Have you ever been tempted to get into the world of scalping and can you ever see yourself joining private scalper groups on Discord, which are commonly referred to as cook groups, and then eventually renting or purchasing bot keys to increase your chances of success?

When you played Fighting EX Layer, you said one of its turn-offs for you was the Gougi system.  Now that Arika has released Fighting EX Layer Another Dash on Nintendo Switch and removed the Gougi system, would you be willing to play it on stream?

Edited by CiscoCertified

1. What happened to updating your Patreon? You planned to introduce new rewards throughout May; and your pledges still mention Twitch milestones.

2. Got new ideas for the events? It's been the same old for years: "Retrospective Marathon" (you skip suggestions; and you called your content boring), and "Viewers' Choice Playthrough" (you threaten to quit the games).

• Phil locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic