The King of Hate Forums
AceDiamond

Interesting Articles Related to Phil and Nintendo

I came across two articles that, while not directly about Phil, do a good job of addressing the situation between him and Nintendo he mentioned in the last "Ask the King";

http://www.p4rgaming.com/guest-post-nintendo-took-away-my-youtube-lets-play-money-how-can-i-make-money-now/

http://www.p4rgaming.com/guest-post-why-cant-nintendo-see-that-making-lets-play-videos-is-a-legitimate-job/

(In fact, the majority of the comments for that second article believe it is directly talking about DSP!)  

And amusingly, a reply to the first article, by one Mr.Smokeslighly sounds like it practically could have been written by Phil himself;

I myself happen to be in the business of hosting a very profitable channel on Youtube, but who I am doesn’t matter. What you don’t realize is:

1. The people doing this pour a lot of time into editing, filming and planning their content. 2. Anyone can do it, that is true. It is also true that anyone can be a “pirate radio host” and score some penny out of that. 3. By engaging in a partnership with Youtube you’re officially running a business venture and this makes point #1 all the more vital. Non-professionals don’t see the same cash as do the pro’s. It’s a make it or break it world out there.

Your idea of legitimate work is probably something like “laboring out in the heat of the sun, sweat drippling down the crevices of a hairy, muscular chest”. While my idea of work would be filming it with my own valuable narration. I’m an artist. It’s atrocious that Nintendo should bite the hand that feeds them like this, people like me and YouTube Superstar are the ones putting our necks on the line in order to provide a reliable and highly entertaining source for alternate video-game experiences!

Focus- How accurate do you think these articles are in describing the feelings DSP has towards Nintendo?  Who do you think is in the right?  

Never heard of this website, but both "posts" are made in a parody manner, obviously to criticize/satirize people who make a living doing gameplay videos who are now affected by this Nintendo nonsense. And they're both meant to be malicious and mean.

I don't know why you'd think it sounds like me when, as I've said numerous times, I'm not at all affected by this because I'm a Machinima managed partner. I would easily make the comparison to Angry Joe/Zack Scott games and others who constantly bring this up, though. I've only brought it up twice, once when I was directly affected in late 2013 (until I became a managed partner) and one other time this week when I was asked about it for Ask the King.

I think that one comment/post from Mr. Smokeslightly may be the only legit one in the entire 2 articles, and it actually does make sense. Although it seems he doesn't get that the post itself is a satire and not serious.

Never heard of this website, but both "posts" are made in a parody manner, obviously to criticize/satirize people who make a living doing gameplay videos who are now affected by this Nintendo nonsense. And they're both meant to be malicious and mean.

I don't know why you'd think it sounds like me when, as I've said numerous times, I'm not at all affected by this because I'm a Machinima managed partner. I would easily make the comparison to Angry Joe/Zack Scott games and others who constantly bring this up, though. I've only brought it up twice, once when I was directly affected in late 2013 (until I became a managed partner) and one other time this week when I was asked about it for Ask the King.

I think that one comment/post from Mr. Smokeslightly may be the only legit one in the entire 2 articles, and it actually does make sense. Although it seems he doesn't get that the post itself is a satire and not serious.

​1.  But do you agree with the points they make?  If not, then why?  

2.  Out of curiosity, do you consider every parody about you or even disagreeing with you "malicious and mean"?  I've never seen you say "hey, that's a funny parody!".  Instead, they're all cruel insults meant to slander you.   

I personally disagree that the articles were in any way "malicious" or "mean".  And I imagine the overwhelming majority of fans feel similarly.  This is oddly akin to the situation with "This is How you Don't Play MGS2/MGS3" and "A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil"; whatever happened to the "equal opportunity jokester"?

​I just knew you would like and agree with that one!  :)  

I'm not sure what you're talking about, because I don't believe the articles are written about me - they can't be, because as I've said, I'm not affected at all.

However, you can tell the posters aren't serious - one guy jokes about spending the $2 he makes on his Nintendo videos to buy Burger King, and the other posted:

" I also had to use a bunch of my unique brainpower to make my hilarious jokes like telling Doc Louis to stop stealing my bike because he’s black. The joke is that black people steal things."

That's a reference to an internet meme from the mid 2000's and is obviously meant to be a parody of someone who actually does make Let's Plays.

The two articles are meant as satire and, although seem to be saying the opposite, are basically saying "nobody should care that Nintendo is taking the rights to Let's Plays bc Let's Players aren't legit, aren't doing work and don't deserve the money they make." That's pretty mean-spirited IMO, but I'm only guessing at the actual intentions.

I don't even know where TIHYDP stuff comes into play here, because I don't think the articles have anything to do with me at all.

I'm not sure what you're talking about,

​Whether you believe the parodies illuminate an important underlying point about Let's Players and their unique, lucky position.  

I'm not sure what you're talking about, because I don't believe the articles are written about me - they can't be, because as I've said, I'm not affected at all.

​Hmm....I seem to recall you making multiple videos calling out Nintendo for being "greedy motherfuckers" hurting you financially, throwing a Wii U into the trash, and lambasting them as recently as your last Hate Live.  That sure doesn't seem like someone "not affected at all".  

The two articles are meant as satire and, although seem to be saying the opposite, are basically saying "nobody should care that Nintendo is taking the rights to Let's Plays bc Let's Players aren't legit, aren't doing work and don't deserve the money they make." 

​That's not what it's "basically saying" at all.  They're mocking Let's Players who believe they have a God-given right to stream Nintendo games on Youtube.  Nowhere, however, are they stating that Nintendo's actions are either correct or just.  

Just because an article parodies one extreme position doesn't mean they believe the polar opposite.  

I don't even know where TIHYDP stuff comes into play here, because I don't think the articles have anything to do with me at all.

​It's another example of what you consider "malicious, mean slander", but the majority of your fanbase finds cool and funny.  

• Upvote 1

basically saying "nobody should care that Nintendo is taking the rights to Let's Plays bc Let's Players aren't legit, aren't doing work and don't deserve the money they make." That's pretty mean-spirited IMO, but I'm only guessing at the actual intentions.

​To call it mean spirited is a tad unfair, maybe they are equal opportunity pranksters who don't view Let's Players as anything special or above criticism.  Gotta love that equal opportunity jolly japester stuff.  It's like the modern equivalent of a Monopoly get out of jail free card

• Upvote 2

​To call it mean spirited is a tad unfair, maybe they are equal opportunity pranksters who don't view Let's Players as anything special or above criticism.  Gotta love that equal opportunity jolly japester stuff.  It's like the modern equivalent of a Monopoly get out of jail free card

​No see that's a problem because it's not Phil who's doing it. Phil you are being highly hypocritical right now.

Umm guys, P4RGaming is a parody website.  It's The Onion of gaming journalism. 

​Exactly, but Phil has a problem with its parody when he has made several parody videos in the past.

• Upvote 2