The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Patreon GOAL Suggestions Thread! (Input Needed!)

So after a month of debate, it seems we've come to the conclusion that doing "perks" for contributors to my Patreon account simply isn't going to work (mostly thanks to detractors who've stated will be $1 Patreons just to give out the perks to everyone else).

Therefore, I've decided that my Patreon account will be based on set GOALS which will serve as landmarks for level of contribution, each of which will trigger/unlock a new special event. These events will either be 1. ways to give back to contributors/fans or 2. thinks to overall IMPROVE my content in the long-run.

Before I get started with suggestions, I'll answer the common question: "Why does Phil need to hit certain donation goals to do these things? Can't he just do them now?" The answer: Yes, I could do all of the below things right now, but that would mean taking away from my daily schedule of work (i.e. streaming new/remastered/requested games on a daily basis and uploading those to YouTube) which would me a DECREASE in income. The reason I'm using Patreon is to offset the decrease in income I already suffered mid-2014 and I cannot afford another one. Therefore, I'm setting up these goals in the hopes that the Patreon contributions will offset any decrease in income during the time I'll be taking to complete them, so that I can IMPROVE my content in the long-run and increase overall viewership.

So far here are the ideas I've come up with:

-Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 
-My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.
-Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).
-This one is kind of out there - but if I hit certain goals maybe I could make trips to Microsoft/Sony/other gaming studios in this area and do studio tours, behind-the-scenes kind of stuff etc. that I could vlog OR give in-depth explanations of (if they don't allow cameras). Living in Seattle has put me into perfect position to do this as many game studios have their headquarters right here.
-This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

As for perks, we've all but shot down all of them but I believe there are 1 or 2 that we could still do:
1. if someone donates $50, I'll put them into Project 7 in some way (webcam video segment, special guest, voiceover etc. per what they're capable of doing). 
2. If someone donates $25, they get a shout-out that month in the credits or a special segment on my vlogs or shows

This is my first SERIOUS attempt at setting up my Patreon perks and goals. Please, if you will, respond with the following:

1. Suggested prices for the goals (how much to hit to do each one etc.)
2. Feedback on the goals (any suggested tweaks, improvements, additional goals or ideas why these wouldn't work?)
3. Feedback on the perks

As always, please try to stay on-topic and refrain from being overly negative (just saying IT WON'T WORK! YOU DONT DESERVE MONEY! etc. isn't going to fly and will result in moderation action) and try to remain positive and constructive. Thanks!

• Upvote 5

These are all awesome suggestions especially the one where you have to play Superman '64, ET ect. That would be absolutely hilarious. I'd like to see you play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. It's very addicting and each run you would do in the game would be completely different.

If you ever do do a marathon stream, I hope it's not on a weekend, cause I work. Maybe a friday night so you can have the most amount of people tune in.

Before I get started with suggestions, I'll answer the common question: "Why does Phil need to hit certain donation goals to do these things? Can't he just do them now?" The answer: Yes, I could do all of the below things right now, but that would mean taking away from my daily schedule of work (i.e. streaming new/remastered/requested games on a daily basis and uploading those to YouTube) which would me a DECREASE in income. The reason I'm using Patreon is to offset the decrease in income I already suffered mid-2014 and I cannot afford another one. Therefore, I'm setting up these goals in the hopes that the Patreon contributions will offset any decrease in income during the time I'll be taking to complete them, so that I can IMPROVE my content in the long-run and increase overall viewership.

I'm sorry to say, but that is reality. You could in theory spend your free time learning how to use your new equipment, that is life. You sacrifice something to get results.

For example, after work I may have to sacrifice my free time to do some catch up work or be on call, you do not need money to learn how to use equipment that you may or may not even bother learning how to use. From your experience of buying capture cards that haven't worked, I personally as a Patron wouldn't trust you to do that.

So far here are the ideas I've come up with:

-Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 

Like I said above, with your experience, I wouldn't trust you to do that in the slightest. Plus it relates to what I said above as well; you don't need to be paid to learn how to use things, you have free time to do that. Who would honestly want to pay you just so you can figure out some equipment when you should be working? It's not their problem that you may lose money or have no free time, that's your problem.

-My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.

Sounds like a plausible idea, depends what you define as fan interaction in the stream chat mind, but this could work well.

-Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).

This can only work if you are willing to go into this game and have a somewhat ironic like of the game to make it enjoyable. E.T, Superman 64, Sonic 06 are pretty obvious contenders for terrible games, everybody else has already done it, why not try something else to set you apart from the crowd like playing Darkseed 2 as an example. Why not something similar to what Game Grumps do when you can have video games posted to you to play via P.O Box?

-This one is kind of out there - but if I hit certain goals maybe I could make trips to Microsoft/Sony/other gaming studios in this area and do studio tours, behind-the-scenes kind of stuff etc. that I could vlog OR give in-depth explanations of (if they don't allow cameras). Living in Seattle has put me into perfect position to do this as many game studios have their headquarters right here.

I can see that as a good idea, many companies may not allow cameras and the like; I know VALVe generally allows for tours but they rarely allowed picture taking or video footage taken.

-This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

Considering your Street Fighter videos get the most views anyway, I can't see this as a negative aspect; helping you to pay for your trip to EVO would also be great. Many other competitive players do it so this would work well as a perk, especially with EVO Vlogs and linking to your matches if they appear on YouTube to your fans via Twitter.

Overall, your perks are generally very hit and miss, some are perfect such as getting competitive in fighting games again, where as some just fail to hit the mark such as days off to learn equipment. It's a good start, looking forward to what else is said in this topic.

• Upvote 12

I would reword the green screen goal to something like "Donating to my Patreon will allow me to work on adding segments, ideas, and new equipment to Project 7 that I ordinarily wouldn't be able to do with the equipment I currently have on hand."

Although this isn't a perk thread, an additional one I suggest is allowing the highest donating Patrons to choose from a list of story ideas that you have chosen for Project 7 (sort of a sneak peek) that you would implement into the show per their recommendation/suggestion, and you'd alter your script to accommodate for that. It shouldn't be anything that would mess up your overall story, but it would be a good way to get direct feedback from someone who is interested in the content you're putting out regarding the show.

The Fighting Competitively again is intriguing and i can see that working but i don't think getting money from fans just to play games you said you don't want to play "Minecraft, E.T, Superman 64, Sonic 06" is a great idea. It also wouldn't translate into good videos if you're dreading on playing them. Granted Minecraft is easily the best game out of those you listed but I just think it's a bit unfair to charge users for those games. If you want to play it and stream it than go for it as those might end up being some of your better videos you release on your channel if you do make those streams public. 

Outside of that i think EndOf TheLine above made some solid points about green screen and going to MS/Sony gaming studios. Those perks sounds interesting though and would love to see what you can do but it's definitely seems like it'd mixed whether it'd work or not. 

• Upvote 1

The gaming marathon sounds good, but you should really push yourself to make it more than 6 hours - I mean, isn't that the amount of time per day you normally spend on video games already?  The last one is my favorite, some real honest to god unique content.  

I think $1 should be enough for a patron to get a shoutout, because it doesn't cost you a thing to give shoutouts.  Plus, having a really long list of donors looks good on your behalf.  The other one is fine; $50 for a guest appearance is reasonable.  

• Upvote 3

Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 

Phil, It's not your fans/viewers obligation to pay you anything for something you should be already familiar with. Juggle your schedule around and find time to set up the green screen and learn to use it cause it's actually very silly to ask people to compensate you for something you should be finding time for.

Can we get a goal setup for Phil to beat Loop's 17 hour Meme run?

I second this. 

• Upvote 1

My question is how often will you go back to these goals? What I mean is let's say you reach the goal for a montage and do it. Will you ever do another montage? Would it be a monthly event or would it need another goal?

I don't know how I feel about the green screen goal. It feels like something you should have done already. It would be like paying you to work. I'd rather pay for the finished product.

And I defiantly DONT want you to commit to Street Fighter. Maybe to see you attend a tourtment one last time with SF5 but the last thing I would want is for you to only do Street Fighter full time.

I really like the montage idea. The longer it is the better it is however. Also Minecraft should you ever play should be in the montage. It's not a type of game you play for a playthrough. And I like the idea of stream interactivity since this can become "Nothing I can Do"

I would really like to see a goal for requested playthroughs where a selected patreon gets to request your next ongoing playthrough. Some time after the playthrough is completed (Because some games are longer than others) the next patreon will be selected.

And I'm sure you can do better with the perks. I'm not sure how better chance at giveaways, or ask the king was disputes. As long as it's not digital content that can be ripped or something that requires a password I don't see how it can be abused.

Rather than goals, most of those ideas sound like things you should be doing anyway, like right now, to try and expand your viewership. Holding good video ideas and stream interactivity hostage for monthly goals, when you're just gonna go on and monetize them on youtube anyway, doesn't read as something good for fans.

I also think the fighting game community would eat you alive, and you've shown how well you handle negativity as of late. You don't have thick enough skin these days to follow through with that goal.

• Upvote 8

Rather than goals, most of those ideas sound like things you should be doing anyway, like right now, to try and expand your viewership. Holding good video ideas and stream interactivity hostage for monthly goals, when you're gonna monetize them on youtube anyway, doesn't read as something good for fans.

I also think the fighting game community would eat you alive, and you've shown how well you handle negativity as of late. You don't have thick enough skin these days to follow through with that goal.

​I have to agree, Phil you're not at all accepted in the FGC so going back there is not at all a smart move.

• Upvote 2

Rather than goals, most of those ideas sound like things you should be doing anyway, like right now, to try and expand your viewership. Holding good video ideas and stream interactivity hostage for monthly goals, when you're just gonna go on and monetize them on youtube anyway, doesn't read as something good for fans.

I completely agree with this. These goals strike me as very ingenuine.

Also, $25 for a shoutout? Wow.

• Upvote 3

Isn't your decision not to release perks kind of like a developer refusing to release a game because someone, somewhere, will pirate it?

Similarly, some people reupload your content, but you still carry on and you still get views.  Maybe enough people will be honest that it still works out to your benefit?  Those who would watch reuploaded content probably weren't going to donate anyway.

Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play,

Do people who donate more get a 'louder voice' on this, or is it just an equal right to vote?  What decides what games make it into a poll?  I can just see someone making a generous donation thinking you'll eventually play game X, and then dismayed that you didn't end up playing it after all.

This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

Could be controversial, as a lot of your viewership doesn't care for your fighting game content and this would be a downgrade to them.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who donates five dollars should be getting a shoutout in the credits not just 25$.... Seems way to high. Could even be anyone who is donating monthly even one dollar is enough to have contributed

Okay where do I even begin.

​Phil you should do that on your free time since its going to help improve the quality of your videos instead of having people paying you do it. Plus it shows that you're willing to provide quality content to your donors.

​Good idea though it is kinda vague. How frequent would these marathons be and exactly what do you mean by "interaction with the stream chat". Would you be talking with them more and taking requests on certain games? Also would what would help is if you do the gaming marathon is that you could always have fans request or send you in games to play. Plus you could even mix in some fan appreciation if you want.

​Good idea though I think those should be short videos and could give you a chance of making more montages. Especially a worst games of all time montage with all your highlights.

​Good idea on paper though you should look into that more and see what gaming studios allow recordings along with what their restrictions are. Also doing some prior research about the companies beforehand can also enhance your experience and be able to give more well made vlogs for your viewers. Plus it would drawn in more people into learning more about their favorite dev companies.

​I don't think you should necessarily go hardcore on SF due to your shaky rep with the fighting game community though it wouldn't be bad to try and meet some new people who you can play with and train a bit. 

Also you could always branch out on more fighting games like Persona, Guilty Gear, DOA, etc. Though thats just my two cents.

And finally shoutouts should be at least $1-$5 max. Having it be $25 is unreasonable plus like AegisSlash said, it gives you a long list of donors which can help you out alot. 

Now first of all, if you finish a suggestions post with the vow to moderation action if negativity it draws a light on any criticism.

However: 25 dollars for a shoutout is way too much. You basically get three or four sentences in return, as a donator, and chances are that you pronounces the name wrong.

Bringing you back in shape for competitive fighting games tournaments is also hit/miss: some of your viewers are not interested in you doing fighting games at all, thats one thing. But to me it also looks like if you weren't getting paid or endorsed with patreon you wouldn't do that at all. You would not be full-heartly embracing the competitive fighting community again. And what if the patrons decide to drop the donations while you are heavily into tournament preparation? Will you stop immediately because you make no more money with it, or will you continue and finish what you have started?

@KGHaleon: Donating so Phil does the same thing loophole did for free in first place?

$25 for a shout out sounds like a total rip-off. Sure, other people on Patreon are paying 10-20 bucks for shout out, but at least they are receiving all the previous awards as well. So I suggest lowering the price of it and adding additional small perks.

• Upvote 1

I'm setting up these goals in the hopes that the Patreon contributions will offset any decrease in income during the time I'll be taking to complete them, so that I can IMPROVE my content in the long-run and increase overall viewership.

That's not your fans responsibility to pay for.

Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 

This is just ridiculous. That's something you should have done a long time ago and have constantly put it off. There's no guarantee you'll even learn it properly.

My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.

6 hours isn't even a marathon. That's how much you stream normally anyway and I'm betting these breaks are going to be very long and/or very frequent.. Make it a 12 hour stream with minimal breaks, and I think this could work. 

Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).

Maybe it's hjust me but I don't want to see you play games you dread playing. You won't enjoy them and it'll turn into you forcing yourself to be funny constantly like an "angry reviewer". Also these games have been played to death.  About Minecraft, I don't want to see this if all you'll do is complain about the game. If you go in with an open mind then maybe it could work.

This one is kind of out there - but if I hit certain goals maybe I could make trips to Microsoft/Sony/other gaming studios in this area and do studio tours, behind-the-scenes kind of stuff etc. that I could vlog OR give in-depth explanations of (if they don't allow cameras). Living in Seattle has put me into perfect position to do this as many game studios have their headquarters right here.

Doubt any company would let you come in and film so that's a no-go.

This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

I'd say at this point, you'd lose most of your current viewership if you do this and if it doesn't work out it'd be hard to come back from.

As for perks, we've all but shot down all of them but I believe there are 1 or 2 that we could still do:
1. if someone donates $50, I'll put them into Project 7 in some way (webcam video segment, special guest, voiceover etc. per what they're capable of doing). 
2. If someone donates $25, they get a shout-out that month in the credits or a special segment on my vlogs or shows

These are way too expensive.

Overall, you need to work on these. You also need to clarify once these goals are met, are these "events" an on-going thing or one-time only.

My suggestion for a goal: Patreons being able to request a playthrough that you'll play maybe once a week until it's completed and then the next person can choose what's next, for example Mafia II (assuming it's within reason for you to be able to access the game.)

That's my two cents.

I doubt he'd ever let a single Patreon choose a game for him to play.

What if it turns out to be a flop that gets no views on Youtube? That donation would have to be pretty big to offset the possible losses due to low viewership.

Minecraft or other "highly requested" games are a win-win for him on the other hand. First he gets donations to play them and then a lot of views on Youtube because "DSP finally plays Minecraft" would get people's attention.

The only way I see it working is if he makes an exclusive poll for his Patreons with pre-determined options, but he kind of does that for free already so I don't really see the point.

​As much as this seems to be a good idea, I'm not that big of a fan of fighting games. While, yes, it would be interesting to see you go to EVO or attend the fight game scene in Seattle, I'm really not interested with the drama within the FGC. I'd rather see you play games fast, as that is the main draw I have with your content. It's your choice though Phil, I'm just voicing my opinion XD

I doubt he'd ever let a single Patreon choose a game for him to play.

What if it turns out to be a flop that gets no views on Youtube? That donation would have to be pretty big to offset the possible losses due to low viewership.

I was thinking it should be a fairly hefty donation but not massive. Yes, depending on the game, it may get low-ish views but as it's only one stream a week, and it could become a selling point, I think it should be a consideration.

Goddemmit mods. $25 is too much money for my name to be shout outed. I suggest ONE BURGERBUCK is good value for my name to be fucked up by Phil. Also Patreon is basically an hipster welfare, nothing more.

Green screen as a GOAL? Isn't that something you should be doing by your OWN motivation to use in your future projects, like project 7?. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty cheap goal.

• Upvote 2