The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Patreon GOAL Suggestions Thread! (Input Needed!)

-This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

​Additional thought; you should keep your Youtube account a secret if you do this.  If you're doing small events it'll be unlikely that you'll be recognized, and I think having a blank slate will be good for you.

Phil, have you, or anybody else - be it fans or detractors - looked at what other LPers that use Patreon have set up as goals and perks to see which ones you can similarly do? 

From the very few I've found (probably less than 10) new equipment and giving patrons the opportunity to pick the next game to do a full play through of are the most common things put forward.

One of your possible goals could then be that once a certain monthly donation is reached (be it $500pm or whatever) that your patrons vote on a game for you to play through to completion. You've previously stated that there are times of the year when no major releases are coming out so you're on more downtime so this could be a way of involving your viewers more, and learning about new games. 

Other goals could be that you edit/clean up your future content. Your recent videos have shown you are a decent editor and while you're now releasing longer videos there is still a lot of 'dead' time in those videos where you're repeating certain things or running in circles which can put off viewers.

An additional goal that seems to be common with ALL people who post videos on to YouTube is that once they reach a certain monthly goal (and it's normally the first milestone they reach) they remove all ads from their page. We know you're in debt and using Patreon as another form of revenue but if you reach a steady rate of income from Patreon each month then that should be something to be considered.

Other goals and perks that are suggested seem to be already done by you for free so anything else could be see as putting a paywall between you and the non-donators. Things like:

• Q&A - well you do that with Ask the King. Unless for higher donators you did a one-on-one Skype chat, but you've already stated your reservations about opening yourself up to attacks.
  • Patrons get an update of weekly plans - that's your Week in Preview. This one could still work if you did a goal where patrons picked a game for you to play. You put the vote on the Patreon feed and then reveal the winning game in your Prestream.

That's my observation anyway. Maybe you'll find some stuff useful, maybe not.

• Upvote 1

Green screen as a GOAL? Isn't that something you should be doing by your OWN motivation to use in your future projects, like project 7?. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty cheap goal.

​Can't say I disagree. The green screen and the lack of effort put into learning a better video editing software is a bit of a poor showing to be honest. You're basically setting a goal for something you SHOULD have done anyway, not something you "might" do or whatever.

-Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 
-My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.
-Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).
-This one is kind of out there - but if I hit certain goals maybe I could make trips to Microsoft/Sony/other gaming studios in this area and do studio tours, behind-the-scenes kind of stuff etc. that I could vlog OR give in-depth explanations of (if they don't allow cameras). Living in Seattle has put me into perfect position to do this as many game studios have their headquarters right here.
-This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

-​Green screen should not be a goal. You have had it since the summer, and the only reason you haven't used it yet is because you haven't allocated the time. Requiring patrons to take it out of the box is unnecessary. Additionally, personally I wouldn't want vlogs of the set-up. This would only serve as an additional distraction, and impede your progress in actually learning how to use the equipment. Vlogging the process would be to only make up for missed game play time.

-It would be hard to go wrong with a gaming marathon. All I would say is prior to confirming this goal, clarify how long the marathon would be. "6-10 hours" is a large interval of time, and would really impact the number the goal would be set at. 

- Playing the "worst game ever" does not do much for me. You already play a lot of bad games naturally, given the nature of your occupation. 

-I do not see trips to studios being a feasible goal, and would agree that it is "kind of out there". If given the opportunity to tour a studio, I would do it regardless of Patreon ramifications.

-This makes no sense to me. Why would people donate, supporting what your'e doing, only to reach this final goal that would change everything? Not that it is likely that the goal would ever be reached, I would advise against it. 

Overall, I do not think these goals are enticing enough to build any kind of momentum. 

P.S. Please don't charge $25 for a shout-out, that's crazy-talk.

I think, since it's the only way you'd do it, one of your goals should be to edit your playthroughs. I don't mean a monthly montage, I mean cutting the boring bits. For example; if you die in the same place more than 2 or 3 times, travel in open world games (this one is because not much generally happens during travel, you can cut back if something interesting happens), if you get stuck on a puzzle for more than a couple minutes,  etc.

• Upvote 2

I think, since it's the only way you'd do it, one of your goals should be to edit your playthroughs. I don't mean a monthly montage, I mean cutting the boring bits. For example; if you die in the same place more than 2 or 3 times, travel in open world games (this one is because not much generally happens during travel, you can cut back if something interesting happens), if you get stuck on a puzzle for more than a couple minutes,  etc.

​It shouldin't be a goal,he should already be editing his videos.

• Upvote 4

Your goals are quite honestly...well..crap, 6-10 hour marathon..seriously when there's people that do it for 24 hours, hell.. loop did it for 17 hour, for charity! You playing E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 would be bad just cause you will be forcing every reaction, just cause you don't want to play it, not to mention playing Minecraft for how much you insult the game and hate it. If you expect 25$ or 50$ just for a shoutout, which again you hate when the "big youtubers" do it, so why are you doing it?

The problem is you bring nothing of worth for patreon donators, you don't make music, or do web comics..you just sit on the couch and make playthroughs and do vlogs. The tour could be nice but that's going to be MAJOR planning on your be-half, which I don't see you doing since it will screw with your "schedule"..

• Upvote 1

-Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).

​Minecraft could potentially allow for interaction with fans, especially if a server were set up. People could come up with suggestions for something for you to build on the fly, kind of like the current King of Hate questions thread.

I actually like the idea of a goal where he edits his videos. He can do live streams of the full playthrough, leave up the archive, and released the edited videos episodically. And yes. You will need a new editor for that.

I like the idea of doing tours of studios. Maybe it could kick off and Phil can get into the industry? (developer Interviews, going to E3)

I say a single Patreon should request a playthrough because I don't think anyone will be able to agree on anything. As I keep saying it shoyuld be in form of a contest. The winner picks a game that they want Phil to play to completion as long as the winner and Phil can come to an agreement so the game is not unreasonable.

$50 is a great and even generous amount for guest appearances on Project 7 (perhaps this can also include podcasts like Hate Live and Smark Guys) but $25 for a shoutout is ridiculous. Should be $5. Removing ads will not be reasonable. I saw another Patreon page that has $1 as "permission" to use adblock. Of coarse it was more of a honnor thing but that could work.

I actually like the idea of a goal where he edits his videos. He can do live streams of the full playthrough, leave up the archive, and released the edited videos episodically. And yes. You will need a new editor for that.

I like the idea of doing tours of studios. Maybe it could kick off and Phil can get into the industry? (developer Interviews, going to E3)

I say a single Patreon should request a playthrough because I don't think anyone will be able to agree on anything. As I keep saying it shoyuld be in form of a contest. The winner picks a game that they want Phil to play to completion as long as the winner and Phil can come to an agreement so the game is not unreasonable.

$50 is a great and even generous amount for guest appearances on Project 7 (perhaps this can also include podcasts like Hate Live and Smark Guys) but $25 for a shoutout is ridiculous. Should be $5. Removing ads will not be reasonable. I saw another Patreon page that has $1 as "permission" to use adblock. Of coarse it was more of a honnor thing but that could work.

​I totally understand your other points, but it's very difficult for me to look at editing as a goal. I've done it before in college and it doesn't require you to be a pro. Furthermore, people like Chuggaaconroy make as much if not more in ad revenue (YouTube Stats) and aren't pro-editors, and don't put out nearly as many videos.

• Upvote 1

5 dollars to show the your public Patreon user name during intermission when he shows fan art.- prestreams, hate live intermission, stream intermissions

For 10 dollars Phil will share the  full archived streams that are private by entering the contributors Google+ account name. Also a shoutout mentioned earlier.

All Phil has to do is link his Google+ account to his youtube channel then add the 10 dollar contributors to one of his circles then use the video manager, click on a private archived stream, click on the blank space  on the right side just below the drop down box that says "private" and he enters the name on his google+ profile so it posts the video to his google+ page. Then just repeat the process for every private archives stream.

If anybody pays 10 dollars to re-upload the streams then the other Patreons that paid will be pissed at the video thief and Phil will have a legitimate reason to take action because the video was private and not public.

Do montages when he finishes a playthrough, green screen for the hateful truth and Project 7 with no goals. He'll do the montages and green screen just to attract more viewers.

One last thing, he should do put a link to his Amazon Associates account on the front page and the top of the forums. It would allow somebody that buys stuff from Amazon to contribute to Phil for free essentially because Amazon will pay a small portion of their profit to Phil for direct his viewers to spend something after clicking on the link.

Here are more of my thoughts:

$25 for a shoutout is a lot of money, there are terms for that practice that would be considered an insult. Honestly, someone donates enough money so you could buy a whole season of a new telltale game and gets a shoutout. Wow. That's a bit overpriced. Basically if I'd donate that much I pay you the next three to four DSP Tries It meals. A shoutout should be for $1, you mention someone's name and thank him, that's it.

As for the other goals, they lack transparency. I wish there would be clear information and terms about these goals, right now it looks like a rough draft when in fact you should never have started your own patreon site without nailing down all your perks. But okay, those are suggestions. However, no matter what perks finally make it, be sure to make it absolutely clear what the patrons get out of them.

The worst suggestion is the

This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

Not only are you killing off your views on youtube, you also go exclusive on one genre of video games and stick to it where you have viewers that enjoy the variety of game genres you play. Also I personally doubt you would focus long enough on that experiment to get something out. It's not a perk, it's promising the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You have to be more specific, please. Do we get to see you training? Can we track your record and attendance to local tournaments? Seriously, I do not say you will do this what I write now, but you have to admit that this is what people worry: that you grab the donations, tell people you train offline while in fact you do something else, attend a local tournament, play a few rounds and then blame your loss on something people cannot proof if it really happened or not.

Also, where would a donator be a patron of the arts when you reduce your overall gameplay to focus on fighting games where he gets next to nothing to see? Finally, another concern I have about this overall goal is that it looks more like a sponsoring for something that should be your hobby. I worry that you attend a tournament, get salty and then tell the ones who beat you "well, its okay, my patrons paid me to do it. You have sponsors too?" No thanks. If I could convince you to do one thing with your perks, avoid this idea like the bubonic plague.

In my opinion (as always I speak for myself, I do not follow any group's agenda) a marathon should be more than 6 to 10 hours, thats what people usually play on their off days when they are excited about a new game. 24 hours or its no marathon.

And what's the point of donating so you play games you don't want to? People have seen in the past what happens if you are bored from a game. Games you mentioned have been done on youtube a thousand times, seriously old and unpopular games won't help you keeping up the viewcount, even with people donating money if you do so. For a quick buck you damage your business model in the long run.

Perks should be something (but not all of them) that a patron gets immediately or with minimum delay, not a promise at the far horizon. Just my opinion, Phil.

"If someone donates $25, they get a shout-out that month in the credits or a special segment on my vlogs or shows"

weren't you pissing on people who were supposedly doing that on twitch? why do you think it's ok now?

"Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others."

why do you need to take 2 days off for that? why not just do it on your own time, don't you watch hours of movies/tv shows every night? just do it then

I have to say, I am glad that people find the notion of taking time off to learn how to green screen as absolutely ridiculous. Your fans aren't there as an easy pay out just so you can fart around with something you may or may not use extensively with your content. Heck, your content is mostly unedited footage anyway, what possible use would you have for a green screen? If it's for Vlogs and Project 7, you have your free time to learn how to use it, it actually isn't that difficult at all.

And I agree on the sentiments that $25 for a shout out is ludicrous. For $25 I'd probably expect something a bit more than you saying thanks to me on your channel, which is something many people offer as a kind gesture (Say I donate a fiver to a channel, they say thank you without me prompting them.) The only reason you'd get $25 for a shout out is if someone told you to say something absolutely ridiculous, or giving unedited voice clips to use in TIHYDP videos, such as saying "I'm the world's worst fighting game player, I'm more scrubby than a soap covered bath sponge."

$5 for a shout out at the very most, even then I'd be like "Uh what?" I mean, it's great that you have thought of goals so far, but like I said before, many of them lack any sort of polish; they may lead to something good, but as it is, not really. Goals should be a target that people can be rewarded with from your content. And no, being shown an edited video is NOT a reward, that is something that comes standard with every decent YouTuber on the planet. If you aren't offering a unique product and are expecting to be paid to do something that everybody else does for free, then good luck with your Patreon.

• Upvote 1

-My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.

2. If someone donates $25, they get a shout-out that month in the credits or a special segment on my vlogs or shows​

1.  Stream interactivity is what practically every single Twitch channel does already.  It's baffling that you actively avoid doing so, and are presenting it as a Patreon incentive.  In what way would doing this immediately hurt your income?  

2.  Normally, Twitch and Youtube streamers that receive donations, even $1 on one occasion (nevermind $25 pledged monthly) will give that person a shout out. 

​Can't say I disagree. The green screen and the lack of effort put into learning a better video editing software is a bit of a poor showing to be honest. You're basically setting a goal for something you SHOULD have done anyway, not something you "might" do or whatever.

​Sadly he already made it clear today that he doesn't care if no one likes it.

"Unrealistic to say to me I need to do it without Patreon" Still going to be one of his goals no matter what.

It's horrible that fans have to pay him their money for him to be better at his job which he was supposed to do anyways for P7 and these other new series.

green1.png

• Upvote 1

I don't care if he doesn't take the advice. If he doesn't want feedback then that's fine. Just don't ask for feedback in the first place.

I mean are any of these new goals ideas from the previous thread or did he come up with them himself?

• Upvote 4

I'll be responding to everyone's opinions hopefully later today. Thanks overall for the feedback, be it positive or negative. Already got lots of ideas on things I can adjust before the goals/perks go live.

I don't care if he doesn't take the advice. If he doesn't want feedback then that's fine. Just don't ask for feedback in the first place.

I mean are any of these new goals ideas from the previous thread or did he come up with them himself?

​From what I can tell only 2 out of the 7 listed were highly suggested in the other threads (gaming marathon and playing games he wouldn't normally play). The other ones look like they were made with just Phil in mind.

Honestly setting up a green screen isn't that hard at all (the technical aspects at least) you just set the chroma key and tweak some settings. I don't know what kind of green screen you purchased or how difficult it is to setup but 2 days seems like a stretch.

Here is a quote from your Youtube "THere's only so much time in a day and for me to take 2 days off with no income to figure out the green screen isn't going to happen".

But you can take days off to go on a stay-cation in the same city you live in?

• Upvote 1

Honestly setting up a green screen isn't that hard at all (the technical aspects at least) you just set the chroma key and tweak some settings. I don't know what kind of green screen you purchased or how difficult it is to setup but 2 days seems like a stretch.

Here is a quote from your Youtube "THere's only so much time in a day and for me to take 2 days off with no income to figure out the green screen isn't going to happen".

But you can take days off to go on a stay-cation in the same city you live in?

​Exactly what I was saying. He can spend his free time however he wants. I won't criticize how he spends it or force him to spend it in certain ways. But if you can put time in for yourself you can put extra time in for your work. So don't tell me it's impossible to do without donations.

• Upvote 6

​Sadly he already made it clear today that he doesn't care if no one likes it.

"Unrealistic to say to me I need to do it without Patreon" Still going to be one of his goals no matter what.

It's horrible that fans have to pay him their money for him to be better at his job which he was supposed to do anyways for P7 and these other new series.

green1.png

​I don't understand why he can't just take the time off to learn, after all he spends his free time watching movies and going on staycations so how is learning to use a green screen "impossible" for him to do now?

• Upvote 6

Phil you have time to watch movies/tv series/play mobile games every night or almost every night.And please don't tell me it's not my business because it's not about that and I'm not criticizing you for spending your free time that way.You have right to do whatever you want to do.What I want to say is why not take couple nights and spend them on setting your green screen instead of watching tv?I know this is your free time but sometimes all of us have to do something important for our home/work/whatever and we have to sacrifice our free time.And "that's life" to quote you,Phil.I hope you won't take my post as me attacking you.

Also 25 dollars for a shout-out is ridiculous but that's just me.Many streamers do that for whatever amount of money people donate,doesn't matter if it's 1 dollar or 500 dollars.

• Upvote 2

6 to 10 hrs is not really a marathon! The SoK just did a 24 hr marathon of freaking MEME RUN 

How about hotel tours as a goal lol

• Upvote 1