The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Patreon GOAL Suggestions Thread! (Input Needed!)

First of all i apologize if my post came off as sounding harsh. I just think that if you took the initiative and setup your equipment without having it as a perk/goal which is essentially fans paying you to do it, that it would show you are trying to grow your business and improve your content.

Serious question Phil. What happens if not enough people donate for the green screen goal because they feel they shouldn't be paying for it. What will you do then? Sit on your ass with the green screen collecting dust and not improve because you didn't get enough money? Project 7 may not even happen without a green screen.

You should striving to improve your content yourself which gives us incentive to donate/support instead of us donating being your incentive to improve. I currently make no income but when I do and if you make a change I would absolutely donate towards a goal that was a fished project or event.

For the record all your other goals a good. They just need more detail and I think you can think of more perks. You also need to drastically reconsider the shout out perks price.

• Upvote 3

25 dollars for a shout out, are you fucking kidding me?!?!?

when you put that out there it makes you seem like you see your fans as cash cows.  

• Upvote 1

LONG POST INCOMING, so please take the time to read as it's a lot of info.

Okay, so a few things to clear up, a few things I totally agree with per the feedback in this thread, and a few additions.

Clearing things up:

1. Unfortunately setting up Patreon Perks/Goals is going to be pretty unique for me in comparison to other people who have done it successfully. Why? Because from what I've seen, a lot of the things people have set up as their perks/goals are things I already do/have been doing, FOR FREE, on a regular basis for years. A group of guys just left IGN after reaching all of their Patreon goals - the vast majority of which are things I do/have done like doing a special playthrough per ongoing requests, asking questions and getting answers, etc. Nobody is going to want to pay for something they've already gotten for free for years - so in that regard, I'm at a massive disadvantage. Did I give too much? NO, I don't believe so at all. I think it's a case of "Bigger guys" who had more viewership now finally opening the floodgates (something I did from day 1) in exchange for money. I don't have that luxury, unfortunately.

2. I cannot setup perks for advance access to anything. I unfortunately have a group of detractors (some of which you're praising in this thread, amazingly) who have publicly stated they will just share the links to whatever is given advance access to after donating $1. I hate that the selfish/malicious actions of a few affect the many, but that's just the reality of the situation and it cannot be helped. Suggesting otherwise is just wasted time.

3. I think some people have a misconception of "perks" versus "goals." Perks are something that you'd aim for with the amount of your donation (a personal thing that you earn) while goals are overall CUMULATIVE achievements via the collective contributions of the entire group. I see responses such as "nobody will donate for that" when, in reality, I'd think that probably a few goals I set up wouldn't be things that the MAJORITY of Patreon donators would be contributing for. However, setting these things as goals DOES have a positive impact on those who might want them, and literally does nothing to hurt anyone who doesn't. And the best part is, if the Patreon donator base grows naturally with time, these things can be hit, achieved and integrated into my content even if some people didn't necessarily want that specific thing.

That being said - if there is a goal that I've set that you're not particularly happy with, say to yourself "but if he hits it, does it affect me negatively in some way?" If the answer is no, then you shouldn't be negative/upset about that being a goal, regardless if you want it to happen or not.

Now some direct responses to things that have been said so far:

1. I 100% agree now that a $25 contribution JUST TO GET YOUR NAME LISTED or mentioned is too much. After the feedback here I've decided that, once a month (probably the first week since that's when the Patreons get charged for their donations) I will have a set video (probably a vlog or podcast etc.) that has a special thank-you segment where the names of those who have donated $5 or more will be mentioned/shown. HOWEVER, this will not completely turn that piece of content into shout-outs and derail it; meaning, it's not going to turn into a Twitch-like stream where every 5 seconds I'm stopping to play a sound because of a new sub or donation and shouting out thanks, etc. Just wanted to clarify that as a few people seemed to question it.

2. The Street Fighter goal was put there as an experiment to see how people react. I agree that there are MANY people who would not want to see me, at this point, completely change my content/business model into pure fighting games. I DO, in fact, believe that if that were to be one of my goals in life that I COULD get back into competitive fighting-game shape, become at least a semi-decent player at tournament levels and become "someone to follow" in that community again. Mr. Popular, absolutely not, but gameplay/performance speaks far louder than overall popularity. However, I think that would be far too much of a sacrifice at this time; but I'm not taking it off the table that, in the LONG-TERM if I were to reach a certain contribution goal, that I would again attend EVO or just tournaments in general. We'll see, but this one, for now, is considered shelved.

3. It seems everyone agrees on a goal set where I will play games that people/Patreons choose, but nobody can agree on those games. Minecraft, yes, but the other games (worst of all time etc.) were just my suggestions. My problem will be: how do I determine what these games will be? It's not even possible to do a "private poll" where only Patreon members can vote, to my knowledge. So I have no idea whatsoever how that would go down, honestly, and I'm leaving myself open to your suggestions on that. I WANT TO PLAY STUFF YOU WANT TO SEE, but every time there's a public poll we end up with upset people. So how do you figure that out, for people who are willing to PAY to see something?

For people not interested in my response to the "Green screen" goal feedback, you can stop reading now as the response is below and will also be very long. However, PLEASE contribute your ideas to the above as I need your help! Thanks!

For the "taking time off to learn green screen" goal which everyone seems to have issue with, allow me to clarify in as fair/calm of a way possible. You may not agree, but please don't use this thread as an outlet to go on a tirade about how you disagree with myself and my lifestyle, because chances are if that's the case you don't support me/my content and wouldn't donate to my Patreon regardless! OK here goes:

Tons of people who use Patreon have goals set up like "reach this amount to finance my new laptop" or "get a new camera when I hit this amount." Nobody seems to have issues with that, because they clearly understand that once that goal is hit, that equipment will be utilized to make better content. Now, I already HAVE the green screen and all of the boom lights needed to set up for green screen use, so in regards to fundraising for them, I don't need any. What I need is TIME, which is something I have drastically little of, despite what you may believe (or are led to believe by whomever). Unlike the people asking for the financial funding to buy equipment, who probably don't do the things that the Patreon is set up to do for a living, I already have a FULL work schedule of new games, new vlogs/series, montages and things that YOU, THE VIEWERS have asked for. To actually take time away from that to learn a green screen or ANY new equipment, for that matter, means time away from streaming/videos and money lost. There is no "backup revenue stream" that is going to pay for that time away, and with my current financial situation I cannot afford to take unscheduled time off from work. That's just the reality of the situation and no amount of denial, or disagreement, or uproar is going to change it.

Now I've seen many replies in this thread (And undoubtedly in the social media feeds of my biggest "critics" I'm sure) stating things such as: 
-But he has time to watch television every night! He should use that time!
-He plays mobile games! He should use that time!
-But he's going on a stay-cation for three days this week! Why isn't he using THAT time!
-Many other similar things

To someone who doesn't have a "full life" i.e. the tons of adult responsibilities that I took on when I bought this house/moved in with my girlfriend in June of 2014, from the outside you may not understand that, at all. I get it, because I used to be there. When I started making videos in 2008, outside of my 9-5 office job I had all the time in the world to goof around; and let's face it, once I was laid off in 2010 and this was my full-time gig, my entire LIFE opened up. I could play whatever I wanted, film as much as I wanted, work on edited or non-edited projects. I could play all-nighters and midnight releases nonstop, get drunk whenever I wanted and do drunken/slurred playthroughs. I literally had no responsibilities besides "make sure the bills get paid and keep putting out video content" and life was VERY different.

Eventually, all that was going to change, and it now has. A normal day for me now probably sees 1-2 hours tops of what would be considered "Free time" that I'm not on a set schedule to get certain necessary things done. Outside of those 2 hours, I'm on a constant basis of running around, getting things set up/working for a stream, recording gameplay, uploading gameplay/naming gameplay vids, adding things to playlists, updating the website, updating the schedule and tweeting; and that's just the business side.

Personal side: routine daily chores, maintaining the house, paying the bills, preparing for/cleaning up after dinner, taking care of the hamsters, and of course doing routine things with my live-in girlfriend (which is a HUGE change for me as I've never lived with a significant other before) are all things that take up TREMENDOUS amounts of time.

So outside of business and personal things that are NECESSARY use of time, I maybe get 1-2 hours a day that I use to "unwind" so to speak. Keep in mind, this time is 99% of the time spent w/Leanna so it's considered "shared time" to some extent. The things brought up as "free time you could use to learn a green screen setup/other things" is basically the ONLY time of the day that I actually get to relax. Especially for someone like me with a back injury, REAL relaxation time is a NECESSARY thing for daily operation. If I don't get to relax, my back tenses up/I'm drowsy or agitated, which is going to 100% affect my work for the next day. How many times have I raged at a game when maybe I was just tired? Especially in these days, when I'm now listening to your feedback and making an active effort to NOT do that kind of stuff and be more positive, this relaxation is required to keep up a natural and healthy work/life balance and continued quality of work.

You can completely, UTTERLY disagree with what I'm saying above, and that's okay. Maybe you don't get my perspective, or maybe you're not the kind of person I am and you can work, nonstop, for years at a time with little to no relaxation/free time. I personally don't think it's unreasonable for a person to REQUIRE time to relax/unwind in order to be healthy, and that's always been my philosophy in life. But please, because you disagree, don't think that YOUR way of life is good or "the right way" for everyone.

The bottom line is this: if you don't agree with my deserving at least 1-2 hours of free time a day in order to stay healthy/happy and continue to put out quality videos, and you think I need to actively sacrifice that on a regular basis to "improve my business," then you don't get me or any of what this has ever been about. I'm one man, not a team or a corporation and that's all I'm ever going to be: a self-made man that busts his ass to entertain while he enjoys gaming. I have a passion for what I do, but I'm also mature enough (and enough of a realist) to know that I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I can't NOT rest and expect that my work is going to be great. I honestly think overwork (and not taking the time to be creative enough) over the course of the last 6 years is part of the reason that I am where I am right now. 

So: if you don't get that, then I actively ask you to NOT participate in this discussion because, honestly, you're not of the same mindset as me and you're not going to donate to my Patreon anyway. Patreon donators, when it comes down to it, are either going to be people who 1. enjoy the content I put out and want to see it continue, 2. want to see that content improve or 3. just like me for one reason or another. If you're not of those three, then no reason to ever read any further or waste your time here.

And if you think that taking 3 days off for an inexpensive stay-cation, the first real "days off" I've taken in over 9 months (besides being sick or when my parents visited for Christmas) is unreasonable because "you're asking for money when you are spending your time on other things?!" You don't get me, and that's okay. Please do not donate to my Patreon, and thanks for your time.

• Upvote 2

New Patreon goal idea: hiring a time management consultant to map out how you apparently spend 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, playing videogames and doing light maintenance of a modest home.

• Upvote 8

1.  Stream interactivity is what practically every single Twitch channel does already.  It's baffling that you actively avoid doing so, and are presenting it as a Patreon incentive.  In what way would doing this immediately hurt your income?  

​Myself and others have noted this multiple times throughout the topic, but Phil ignored it above.

I've got my popcorn... let's do this. 

Well... that's far from the norm... 

Okay, so a few things to clear up, a few things I totally agree with per the feedback in this thread, and a few additions.

Clearing things up:

1. Unfortunately setting up Patreon Perks/Goals is going to be pretty unique for me in comparison to other people who have done it successfully. Why? Because from what I've seen, a lot of the things people have set up as their perks/goals are things I already do/have been doing, FOR FREE, on a regular basis for years. A group of guys just left IGN after reaching all of their Patreon goals - the vast majority of which are things I do/have done like doing a special playthrough per ongoing requests, asking questions and getting answers, etc. Nobody is going to want to pay for something they've already gotten for free for years - so in that regard, I'm at a massive disadvantage. Did I give too much? NO, I don't believe so at all. I think it's a case of "Bigger guys" who had more viewership now finally opening the floodgates (something I did from day 1) in exchange for money. I don't have that luxury, unfortunately.

Why do you constantly compare yourself to the little guy? It's a tired argument... and frankly, they have a successful business model for a reason, while you've been dropping in views for a number of obvious reasons.

2. I cannot setup perks for advance access to anything. I unfortunately have a group of detractors (some of which you're praising in this thread, amazingly) who have publicly stated they will just share the links to whatever is given advance access to after donating $1. I hate that the selfish/malicious actions of a few affect the many, but that's just the reality of the situation and it cannot be helped. Suggesting otherwise is just wasted time.

That's the basis of the internet. If you think you can control it, you're shit out of luck. 

3. I think some people have a misconception of "perks" versus "goals." Perks are something that you'd aim for with the amount of your donation (a personal thing that you earn) while goals are overall CUMULATIVE achievements via the collective contributions of the entire group. I see responses such as "nobody will donate for that" when, in reality, I'd think that probably a few goals I set up wouldn't be things that the MAJORITY of Patreon donators would be contributing for. However, setting these things as goals DOES have a positive impact on those who might want them, and literally does nothing to hurt anyone who doesn't. And the best part is, if the Patreon donator base grows naturally with time, these things can be hit, achieved and integrated into my content even if some people didn't necessarily want that specific thing.

That being said - if there is a goal that I've set that you're not particularly happy with, say to yourself "but if he hits it, does it affect me negatively in some way?" If the answer is no, then you shouldn't be negative/upset about that being a goal, regardless if you want it to happen or not.

Well... if you want to use that argument... your "goal" to get your green screen working affects the fans who constantly go to you for content. From what I've read, everyone is pissed off about that, and rightfully should be, but more on that later.

1. I 100% agree now that a $25 contribution JUST TO GET YOUR NAME LISTED or mentioned is too much. After the feedback here I've decided that, once a month (probably the first week since that's when the Patreons get charged for their donations) I will have a set video (probably a vlog or podcast etc.) that has a special thank-you segment where the names of those who have donated $5 or more will be mentioned/shown. HOWEVER, this will not completely turn that piece of content into shout-outs and derail it; meaning, it's not going to turn into a Twitch-like stream where every 5 seconds I'm stopping to play a sound because of a new sub or donation and shouting out thanks, etc. Just wanted to clarify that as a few people seemed to question it.

Hell... you need to shoutout anyone that at least donates to your Patreon. But no... that'd take effort... and work.

2. The Street Fighter goal was put there as an experiment to see how people react. I agree that there are MANY people who would not want to see me, at this point, completely change my content/business model into pure fighting games. I DO, in fact, believe that if that were to be one of my goals in life that I COULD get back into competitive fighting-game shape, become at least a semi-decent player at tournament levels and become "someone to follow" in that community again. Mr. Popular, absolutely not, but gameplay/performance speaks far louder than overall popularity. However, I think that would be far too much of a sacrifice at this time; but I'm not taking it off the table that, in the LONG-TERM if I were to reach a certain contribution goal, that I would again attend EVO or just tournaments in general. We'll see, but this one, for now, is considered shelved.

Now you are seeing yourself how the world sees you.

3. It seems everyone agrees on a goal set where I will play games that people/Patreons choose, but nobody can agree on those games. Minecraft, yes, but the other games (worst of all time etc.) were just my suggestions. My problem will be: how do I determine what these games will be? It's not even possible to do a "private poll" where only Patreon members can vote, to my knowledge. So I have no idea whatsoever how that would go down, honestly, and I'm leaving myself open to your suggestions on that. I WANT TO PLAY STUFF YOU WANT TO SEE, but every time there's a public poll we end up with upset people. So how do you figure that out, for people who are willing to PAY to see something?

Simple. Play games people send to you. But no... you'll have "final say" about things like that, so there goes that fan-service, among others.

For people not interested in my response to the "Green screen" goal feedback, you can stop reading now as the response is below and will also be very long. However, PLEASE contribute your ideas to the above as I need your help! Thanks!

For the "taking time off to learn green screen" goal which everyone seems to have issue with, allow me to clarify in as fair/calm of a way possible. You may not agree, but please don't use this thread as an outlet to go on a tirade about how you disagree with myself and my lifestyle, because chances are if that's the case you don't support me/my content and wouldn't donate to my Patreon regardless! OK here goes:

Tons of people who use Patreon have goals set up like "reach this amount to finance my new laptop" or "get a new camera when I hit this amount." Nobody seems to have issues with that, because they clearly understand that once that goal is hit, that equipment will be utilized to make better content. Now, I already HAVE the green screen and all of the boom lights needed to set up for green screen use, so in regards to fundraising for them, I don't need any. What I need is TIME, which is something I have drastically little of, despite what you may believe (or are led to believe by whomever). Unlike the people asking for the financial funding to buy equipment, who probably don't do the things that the Patreon is set up to do for a living, I already have a FULL work schedule of new games, new vlogs/series, montages and things that YOU, THE VIEWERS have asked for. To actually take time away from that to learn a green screen or ANY new equipment, for that matter, means time away from streaming/videos and money lost. There is no "backup revenue stream" that is going to pay for that time away, and with my current financial situation I cannot afford to take unscheduled time off from work. That's just the reality of the situation and no amount of denial, or disagreement, or uproar is going to change it.

See: your stay-cation.... a completely stupid idea.

Now I've seen many replies in this thread (And undoubtedly in the social media feeds of my biggest "critics" I'm sure) stating things such as: 
-But he's going on a stay-cation for three days this week! Why isn't he using THAT time!

And they are right, I wonder why.

To someone who doesn't have a "full life" i.e. the tons of adult responsibilities that I took on when I bought this house/moved in with my girlfriend in June of 2014, from the outside you may not understand that, at all. I get it, because I used to be there. When I started making videos in 2008, outside of my 9-5 office job I had all the time in the world to goof around; and let's face it, once I was laid off in 2010 and this was my full-time gig, my entire LIFE opened up. I could play whatever I wanted, film as much as I wanted, work on edited or non-edited projects. I could play all-nighters and midnight releases nonstop, get drunk whenever I wanted and do drunken/slurred playthroughs. I literally had no responsibilities besides "make sure the bills get paid and keep putting out video content" and life was VERY different.

And what adult responsibilities do you have now? You sit on your ass and play video games, every boy's dream. You work from home, so you can do that. You don't go out to a 9-5 job, don't take care of kids (besides the obvious), and you sit around all day.

Eventually, all that was going to change, and it now has. A normal day for me now probably sees 1-2 hours tops of what would be considered "Free time" that I'm not on a set schedule to get certain necessary things done. Outside of those 2 hours, I'm on a constant basis of running around, getting things set up/working for a stream, recording gameplay, uploading gameplay/naming gameplay vids, adding things to playlists, updating the website, updating the schedule and tweeting; and that's just the business side.

Running around? With a "bad back". Ha. And tweeting is the business side? Bullshit.

Personal side: routine daily chores, maintaining the house, paying the bills, preparing for/cleaning up after dinner, taking care of the hamsters, and of course doing routine things with my live-in girlfriend (which is a HUGE change for me as I've never lived with a significant other before) are all things that take up TREMENDOUS amounts of time.

Once again, complete bullshit.

So outside of business and personal things that are NECESSARY use of time, I maybe get 1-2 hours a day that I use to "unwind" so to speak. Keep in mind, this time is 99% of the time spent w/Leanna so it's considered "shared time" to some extent. The things brought up as "free time you could use to learn a green screen setup/other things" is basically the ONLY time of the day that I actually get to relax. Especially for someone like me with a back injury, REAL relaxation time is a NECESSARY thing for daily operation. If I don't get to relax, my back tenses up/I'm drowsy or agitated, which is going to 100% affect my work for the next day. How many times have I raged at a game when maybe I was just tired? Especially in these days, when I'm now listening to your feedback and making an active effort to NOT do that kind of stuff and be more positive, this relaxation is required to keep up a natural and healthy work/life balance and continued quality of work.

You are still using the back excuse, you sound like a broken record. Your back is fixed, your back is broken, your back is fixed. Make up your damn mind.

You can completely, UTTERLY disagree with what I'm saying above, and that's okay. Maybe you don't get my perspective, or maybe you're not the kind of person I am and you can work, nonstop, for years at a time with little to no relaxation/free time. I personally don't think it's unreasonable for a person to REQUIRE time to relax/unwind in order to be healthy, and that's always been my philosophy in life. But please, because you disagree, don't think that YOUR way of life is good or "the right way" for everyone.

But common sense is common. Why don't you use it?

The bottom line is this: if you don't agree with my deserving at least 1-2 hours of free time a day in order to stay healthy/happy and continue to put out quality videos, and you think I need to actively sacrifice that on a regular basis to "improve my business," then you don't get me or any of what this has ever been about. I'm one man, not a team or a corporation and that's all I'm ever going to be: a self-made man that busts his ass to entertain while he enjoys gaming. I have a passion for what I do, but I'm also mature enough (and enough of a realist) to know that I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I can't NOT rest and expect that my work is going to be great. I honestly think overwork (and not taking the time to be creative enough) over the course of the last 6 years is part of the reason that I am where I am right now. 

Creative? Ha. You STREAM games, make up jokes as you go. That's complete bullshit. What else do you do? You don't even edit, until late, till you saw you got views for it.

So: if you don't get that, then I actively ask you to NOT participate in this discussion because, honestly, you're not of the same mindset as me and you're not going to donate to my Patreon anyway. Patreon donators, when it comes down to it, are either going to be people who 1. enjoy the content I put out and want to see it continue, 2. want to see that content improve or 3. just like me for one reason or another. If you're not of those three, then no reason to ever read any further or waste your time here.

Whoops.... too late.

And if you think that taking 3 days off for an inexpensive stay-cation, the first real "days off" I've taken in over 9 months (besides being sick or when my parents visited for Christmas) is unreasonable because "you're asking for money when you are spending your time on other things?!" You don't get me, and that's okay. Please do not donate to my Patreon, and thanks for your time.

​But how many streams have you've taken off? You know what... I've lost count.

• Upvote 8

There is no "backup revenue stream" that is going to pay for that time away, and with my current financial situation I cannot afford to take unscheduled time off from work. That's just the reality of the situation and no amount of denial, or disagreement, or uproar is going to change it.

Wasn't the "staycation" unscheduled time off from work though? You didn't have that actually planned until around a week or two ago. You can take days off to go on a vacation but you can't find the time to simply learn how to use a green screen? If you were so worried about your current financial situation then this staycation wouldn't be more important than improving your business.

You said before that the green screen was going to be used for your new series like the movie reviews and return of P7. So if fans don't pay you to learn how to use it then those series will never happen or will they just be "raw" with no effort at all?

• Upvote 3

To someone who doesn't have a "full life" i.e. the tons of adult responsibilities that I took on when I bought this house/moved in with my girlfriend in June of 2014, from the outside you may not understand that, at all.

Are you implying that only you have a house and gf?

So outside of business and personal things that are NECESSARY use of time, I maybe get 1-2 hours a day that I use to "unwind" so to speak. Keep in mind, this time is 99% of the time spent w/Leanna so it's considered "shared time" to some extent.

Relaxation doesn't just involve sitting on a sofa watching movies every night, that's a one way ticket to middle age boredom, but I digress, having a partner means it is a lot of fun to do things together, did you enjoy teaming up to do the Xmas tree together?  Imagine the fun in putting a green screen together and messing around together with it?  Variety is the spice of life not repetition.  Not everything has to be a chore, it can be something you can do in tandem

Especially for someone like me with a back injury,

I thought the Seattle air had all but cured it bar the odd rare twinge so is it injured or not?

So: if you don't get that, then I actively ask you to NOT participate in this discussion because, honestly, you're not of the same mindset as me and you're not going to donate to my Patreon anyway

Au contraire Phil.  These are the people you DO want in the discussion.  The way your fanbase is at the moment is such that the people whi will donate at this time would donate regardless of goals or perks, you need those who won't donate to try to get an understanding of the type of goals that would get them to change their minds. These people are more likely to give honest appraisals of your ideas and not just agree with everything you come up with.

• Upvote 2

You work "nonstop" playing video games and uploading the raw footage , vlogging and once in a blue moon you edit a video! Wow did you just really say you have a "full life" because you own a house and take care of someone? so just because someone does not own a house and chooses to take care of someone they don't have a "full life"? What you do for a living is doing a hobby that most people do for fun.

• Upvote 10

Tons of people who use Patreon have goals set up like "reach this amount to finance my new laptop" or "get a new camera when I hit this amount." Nobody seems to have issues with that, because they clearly understand that once that goal is hit, that equipment will be utilized to make better content. Now, I already HAVE the green screen and all of the boom lights needed to set up for green screen use, so in regards to fundraising for them, I don't need any. What I need is TIME, which is something I have drastically little of, despite what you may believe (or are led to believe by whomever). Unlike the people asking for the financial funding to buy equipment, who probably don't do the things that the Patreon is set up to do for a living, I already have a FULL work schedule of new games, new vlogs/series, montages and things that YOU, THE VIEWERS have asked for. To actually take time away from that to learn a green screen or ANY new equipment, for that matter, means time away from streaming/videos and money lost. There is no "backup revenue stream" that is going to pay for that time away, and with my current financial situation I cannot afford to take unscheduled time off from work. That's just the reality of the situation and no amount of denial, or disagreement, or uproar is going to change it.

A laptop is totally different from setting up a green screen and there's different reasoning to why they want the laptop.Yes a laptop will improve a business but that laptop will be used way more often and would make more sense to fund through patreon than a green screen that'll be used maybe once a week that's been sitting in your closet.

Get the point ?

Also the fact you are failing to explain why it's your fans obligation to pay you to play around with a green screen you've had for months. You should adjust your schedule around to have atleast 1-2 hours to play around with that green screen, you stay up till 2 am most nights anyways so what's stopping you from doing something with it when your done streaming ?

• Upvote 5

A laptop is totally different from setting up a green screen and there's different reasoning to why they want the laptop.Yes a laptop will improve a business but that laptop will be used way more often and would make more sense to fund through patreon than a green screen that'll be used maybe once a week that's been sitting in your closet.

Get the point ?

Also the fact you are failing to explain why it's your fans obligation to pay you to play around with a green screen you've had for months. You should adjust your schedule around to have atleast 1-2 hours to play around with that green screen, you stay up till 2 am most nights anyways so what's stopping you from doing something with it when your done streaming ?

​What's stopping him including right now is the fact that he's reading everything we say right now that's facts and the truth. Nuff said.

You work "nonstop" playing video games and uploading the raw footage , vlogging and once in a blue moon you edit a video! Wow did you just really say you have a "full life" because you own a house and take care of someone? so just because someone does not own a house and chooses to take care of someone they don't have a "full life"? What you do for a living is doing a hobby that most people do for fun.

​"But it's hard. There's the effort to sit on my ass and stare at a screen."

​What's stopping him including right now is the fact that he's reading everything we say right now that's facts and the truth. Nuff said.

True, it does take away valuable time but some folk rather argue.

• Upvote 1

Clearing things up:

​all those chores could be done by pandalee right? I mean she doesn't have a job or how about pandalee learn to edit your vidoes for you or setup your green screen or something 

are you still using that back injury as an excuse? I thought the air over there fixed your back 

you don't have to use every single day from your time off to learn the green screen just take 30 minutes to an hour every other day, it's to improve your business so why wouldn't you?

• Upvote 1

See, this is what I'm  talking about with the oversharing.  You want to make more money and to do so you have to work more hours? That's pretty standard business, not an illness or affliction.  You have to understand that no matter what sob  stories you fire at us, you're still working fewer hours and making more money than the majority of us here.  So if you're going to say that you're tired, or overowrked, or whatever, just think about how it's going to be received.  It snowed 3 feet this week in my town, but I still have to go to work.

Everybody needs time off, but from a purely consumerist standpoint, your goal reads like "If I get a large enough donation, I'll put out less of the same content with no concrete promises about future increases."  You should be doing this with or without donations - you already know that you're going to have to learn greenscreen eventually, your goal should be "this is what I'm giving you" not "this is what I'm doing for myself."  

• Upvote 13

Clearing things up:

​TL;DR instead of typing up long whiny posts that nobody care about, you could've spent that entire time learning how to setup a greenscreen.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough Phil. I still disagree that the green screen should be a goal but I won't hold that against you. Besides I've already made my point.

However I'm a little disappointed that in that post you didn't address questioned asking you the frequency of marathons or what exactly you mean by stream interactivity.

And there is a way to do a poll for Patreons. Create a quick vlog introducing the vote and upload it exclusively to Patreon. Therefore only people that have donated (Not just someone who signs up on Patreon) can see the video and comment on it. It doesn't matter if a hater rips the video because it's the comments that count for the vote. This could work for a better chance/reserved at Ask the King, Fan appreciation, Hate Live calls (If a stable solution is found), and giveaways entries. Maybe some of those can be Patreon exclusive.

With that said I'm still requesting a contest were the winner gets a requested playthrough that you both agree on. No one will agree on anything.

Green screen should definitely not be a patreon/donation "goal" , its something a twitch streamer or YT let's player (majority of them are in fact jus themselves streaming/recording for their fans) in there time either in place of a stream one day or even before, and shouldn't take more than a day to set it up, get lighting fixed and have it functional. Also if the green screen ever does get set up, is it going to be collecting dust except P7 or will there be facecam as other streamers/Lpers do?

Also another goal could be a giveaway , like I've seen gift card or PSN/Live card giveaways if a sub-goal is met, that could potentially be a benefit to patreon and be held monthly. 

• Upvote 1

The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't be paid regardless to learn to use green screen, its the nature of your job. Does a writer get paid to learn how to write while on the job? No, he learns it as he goes along.

I understand that you probably need time for relaxation, I get it. But the thing is, there's still time each day or you to learn the green screen. Say you have 7 hours sleep, a very generous 2 hours each for breakfast lunch and dinner, 5 hours for video games and 2 hours to relax and another 2 hours for baths etc . Guess what? you still have 2 hours to learn the green screen. So there's little excuse for saying you have no time.

With that being said, you should have set up the patreon perks before you even opened the patreon. Maybe you wanted to stop trolls from stealing the name, but at the very least you could've have disabled the donations. Right now, there seems to be confusion and disagreement and I don't see it being solved even when March falls. Its very unprofessional

• Upvote 11

I have to agree with the others Phil, you don't have any excuse to say you don't have time to learn to use a green screen. It's your business and you have to make sacrifices to keep it afloat or else your views are going to keep tanking more each month.  Have Leanna help you out around the house to cut down on the number of chores if you're so stressed out about it.

Also having being in the same mindset as you will not help at all, you need to take constructive criticism if you ever want to see any improvements for your channel and ignoring everyone's suggestions isn't helping at all.

• Upvote 7

Clearing things up:

They planned and budgeted their time and money to get where they are now, unlike you sadly to say..

I cannot setup perks for advance access to anything.

I unfortunately have a group of detractors (some of which you're praising in this thread, amazingly) who have publicly stated they will just share the links to whatever is given advance access to after donating $1. I hate that the selfish/malicious actions of a few affect the many, but that's just the reality of the situation and it cannot be helped. Suggesting otherwise is just wasted time.

All I can say is..Welcome to the internet..

3. I think some people have a misconception of "perks" versus "goals."

Perks are something that you'd aim for with the amount of your donation

(a personal thing that you earn)

while goals are overall CUMULATIVE achievements via the collective contributions of the entire group

. I see responses such as "nobody will donate for that" when, in reality, I'd think that probably a few goals I set up wouldn't be things that the MAJORITY of Patreon donators would be contributing for. However, setting these things as goals DOES have a positive impact on those who might want them, and literally does nothing to hurt anyone who doesn't. And the best part is, if the Patreon donator base grows naturally with time, these things can be hit, achieved and integrated into my content even if some people didn't necessarily want that specific thing.

No matter how you slice it I wouldn't want to pay someone to learn how to use a green screen when they should of known how to do it already, like I said before you don't really have anything to provide your fans with..

​A shout-out takes a few seconds...oh I forgot anything involving moving is hard and stressful..

The Street Fighter goal was put there as an experiment to see how people react.

I agree that there are MANY people who would not want to see me, at this point, completely change my content/business model into pure fighting games. I DO, in fact, believe that if that were to be one of my goals in life that I COULD get back into competitive fighting-game shape, become at least a semi-decent player at tournament levels and become "someone to follow" in that community again. Mr. Popular, absolutely not, but gameplay/performance speaks far louder than overall popularity. However, I think that would be far too much of a sacrifice at this time; but I'm not taking it off the table that, in the LONG-TERM if I were to reach a certain contribution goal, that I would again attend EVO or just tournaments in general. We'll see, but

this one, for now, is considered shelved.

​I don't think the FGC would want you back, all you did was place top 10 in a broken port of SF II Turbo..

3. It seems

everyone agrees on a goal set where I will play games that people/Patreons choose, but nobody can agree on those games.

Minecraft, yes, but the other games (worst of all time etc.) were just my suggestions. My problem will be:

how do I determine what these games will be?

It's not even possible to do a "private poll" where only Patreon members can vote, to my knowledge. So I have no idea whatsoever how that would go down, honestly, and I'm leaving myself open to your suggestions on that. I WANT TO PLAY STUFF YOU WANT TO SEE, but every time there's a public poll we end up with upset people. So how do you figure that out, for people who are willing to PAY to see something?

​Problem there is, since you have the final say, what's stopping you from playing Minecraft just for a hour or changing whatever you want to fit YOU and not the fans?

​But suddenly you will have enough time in your "busy "schedule" if people pay you to do it, Right?

​And yet they are 100% right..

​WHAT responsibilities? All you do is, eat, play games, then sleep and nothing more! Oh you might have to get up and get fast food..WHAT A WORKOUT! Oh boo-hoo...

​Shouldn't be running around with that "bad back" of yours that you keep complaining about, and here I thought that nice sweet Seattle air "magically" fixed your back. Did you just say..that tweeting is business?..I call complete horseshit on that..

​That takes like 15 mins to do at most..

​Woah, it's like you are using your back as a excuse when something is too strenuous for little ol you, again BOO-HOO!

What perspective, you're just a guy who plays video games for a living, YOU can change and alter YOUR schedule whenever YOU feel like it, unlike working at a real job with unchangeable shifts..

The bottom line is this:

if you don't agree with my deserving at least 1-2 hours of free time a day in order to stay healthy/happy and continue to put out quality videos, and you think I need to actively sacrifice that on a regular basis to "improve my business," then you don't get me or any of what this has ever been about.

I'm one man, not a team or a corporation and that's all I'm ever going to be: a self-made man that busts his ass to entertain while he enjoys gaming. I have a passion for what I do, but I'm also mature enough (and enough of a realist) to know that I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I can't NOT rest and expect that my work is going to be great. I honestly think overwork (and not taking the time to be creative enough) over the course of the last 6 years is part of the reason that I am where I am right now.

​Quality videos my foot, all you do is throw out crappy jokes and laugh at them like you're a comedian..you only started to edit videos cause of the views..face it!

• Upvote 2