The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Patreon GOAL Suggestions Thread! (Input Needed!)

Phil it time to be honest with us at this point why do you really need this money? if your still getting payed more than a normal job and panda just about to start her business up that with pay for her shear why do we have to pay for you to take time off to learn green screen? NO NO NO

• Upvote 1

So outside of business and personal things that are NECESSARY use of time, I maybe get 1-2 hours a day that I use to "unwind" so to speak. Keep in mind, this time is 99% of the time spent w/Leanna so it's considered "shared time" to some extent. The things brought up as "free time you could use to learn a green screen setup/other things" is basically the ONLY time of the day that I actually get to relax. Especially for someone like me with a back injury, REAL relaxation time is a NECESSARY thing for daily operation. If I don't get to relax, my back tenses up/I'm drowsy or agitated, which is going to 100% affect my work for the next day. How many times have I raged at a game when maybe I was just tired? Especially in these days, when I'm now listening to your feedback and making an active effort to NOT do that kind of stuff and be more positive, this relaxation is required to keep up a natural and healthy work/life balance and continued quality of work.

You can completely, UTTERLY disagree with what I'm saying above, and that's okay. Maybe you don't get my perspective, or maybe you're not the kind of person I am and you can work, nonstop, for years at a time with little to no relaxation/free time. I personally don't think it's unreasonable for a person to REQUIRE time to relax/unwind in order to be healthy, and that's always been my philosophy in life. But please, because you disagree, don't think that YOUR way of life is good or "the right way" for everyone.

The bottom line is this: if you don't agree with my deserving at least 1-2 hours of free time a day in order to stay healthy/happy and continue to put out quality videos, and you think I need to actively sacrifice that on a regular basis to "improve my business," then you don't get me or any of what this has ever been about. I'm one man, not a team or a corporation and that's all I'm ever going to be: a self-made man that busts his ass to entertain while he enjoys gaming. I have a passion for what I do, but I'm also mature enough (and enough of a realist) to know that I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I can't NOT rest and expect that my work is going to be great. I honestly think overwork (and not taking the time to be creative enough) over the course of the last 6 years is part of the reason that I am where I am right now. 

​I'm just gonna copy my part of my post from earlier:

"I know this is your free time but sometimes all of us have to do something important for our home/work/whatever and we have to sacrifice our free time.And "that's life" to quote you,Phil.I hope you won't take my post as me attacking you."

To add to what I said there:I don't think you don't deserve couple hours of free time,every single person deserves that.And if we're talking sacrifice,yes you would have to sacrifice a little bit of your free time.But only a little bit,2 maybe 3 days.And by that I don't mean WHOLE days obviously,I mean couple hours for 2-3 days and your good to go.Plus from what you've been saying on your prestream from August 16,2014 you used GS's before and you said it would take you half a day to set it up.So maybe you could try it on weekends when you do less gameplay.I'm not asking you to sacrifice weeks of your free time,only couple days and then you'll have your free time back to do whatever you want.Sometimes we have to sacrifice our own free time to work or maybe fix something around the house but in the end we will be the ones that benefit from it.Trust me we all have lives,homes to take care off and whatever else life throws at us.But like you said many,many times "That's life".

I think we can all agree more or less that paying Phil for him to setup his green screen is a bit unfair for lack of a better word. I'll admit I was a bit annoyed that he had a "deal with it attitude" but his perspective is a bit understandable at least. My point? I'd advise that we try to get back on topic. You've all said your piece. We all more or less disagree with the first goal. Let's try not to start a war over it.

It also doesn't help when people are assholes about it with comments like this "WHAT responsibilities? All you do is, eat, play games, then sleep and nothing more! Oh you might have to get up and get fast food..WHAT A WORKOUT! Oh boo-hoo..."

Insults don't help anyone. Express your concern, explain it, give feedback on how to improve it, and move on to the next point. That's how it should be done.

• Upvote 1

Phil should never have started accepting donations on patreon until he had some decent perks for the patrons. Now we have February and still no result. I mean even without setting up patreon perks he could have given the donators a shout out during his streams, that's the least thing he could do for getting $140. Five bucks for a shoutout is still too much money, comparing the work Phil has to do for that. Reading a name, making a note, mentioning him during live stream. Done.

As for the green screen, please Phil explain us why you bought the devices in first place when you know that you barely have time to set it up and learn it. Now it's the patrons that have to pay you to do something you should have done yourself long ago because it benefits your business model.

I do not know how you plan your day, but it does not matter. Other people, including those who do not have the luxury of working at home, have houses and a family too and still manage to get time to stuff they want. That also includes learning stuff for their current job, i.e. to get promoted one day.

It looks way too much that most perks are aiming at benefiting you first and the patrons second. You might reconsider your strategy about that.

• Upvote 5

Phil should never have started accepting donations on patreon until he had some decent perks for the patrons. Now we have February and still no result. I mean even without setting up patreon perks he could have given the donators a shout out during his streams, that's the least thing he could do for getting $140. Five bucks for a shoutout is still too much money, comparing the work Phil has to do for that. Reading a name, making a note, mentioning him during live stream. Done.

As for the green screen, please Phil explain us why you bought the devices in first place when you know that you barely have time to set it up and learn it. Now it's the patrons that have to pay you to do something you should have done yourself long ago because it benefits your business model.

I do not know how you plan your day, but it does not matter. Other people, including those who do not have the luxury of working at home, have houses and a family too and still manage to get time to stuff they want. That also includes learning stuff for their current job, i.e. to get promoted one day.

It looks way too much that most perks are aiming at benefiting you first and the patrons second. You might reconsider your strategy about that.

​Shoutouts should at least be $1, plus how hard is it just to read off a name for only 2 seconds? It just baffles me how Phil makes this more overcomplicated then it needs to be.

• Upvote 1

Phil I have to be honest, if majority of the people here do not see paying for the green screen is a good idea chances are you're not gong to meet the goal as they are the majority YOU'RE TRYING to attract with this patreon goals. 

I have a bunch of ideas that can add more time into your schedule to free up to work on green screen, and while one of them is a more of a step back to the old days it's makes more sense:

1. Announce for one week you'll not be doing streaming for your content. As of now your content since 2013 when you switched to direct capture midway during your Bully Playthrough has been combination of direct capture and twitch(at that time and until recently) streaming. The unfortunate thing setting the time up for streaming seems to have cost a bit in free time you should be having. Go back to old phil and do offline recordings but not with the camera. You've shown in your Dragon Age Origins Playthrough when your internet wasn't working you did offline recording and uploaded those 7-12 videos on youtube with little problems and some people even liked that. Of course you call live-streaming fan service but when you're doing it all the time on every game playthrough it becomes nothing to do with fan service and more to do with your new recording method. Within that time for one week you can record 4-5 hours a day so to speak of 2 games and put them up on your channel while you use the rest of that time you normally would setting up the green screen with Leanna. That way you still get money from Youtube and you don't need to take 2 days off from content just to learn something you could have been doing since august which you claimed you wanted to do before patreon was a thing. Now it seems like an excuse to set it up and alot of people do not like it. 

2. Get off Twitter / forums for that week as well. Step away from social media so you have more time to work with the green screen set up. 

3. On top of the twitter this also includes tweeting the next week schedule which you could be doing on fridays based off your latest week in preview video so anyone who wants to see what you're planing to play next week and what you did this week can check it out. 

Based off these 3 points you could literally shave off another hour or 2 that will give more time to work with every day to set it up for no cost from your viewers while still putting out content on any games you were going to play regardless. Grim Fandango, Tales of Borderlands, Evolve, Life is Strange, Game of Thrones season 2(i believe)and Dying Light assuming a few of those aren't finished by when you do this. 

The green screen doesn't have to be set up immediately even a week or so putting it up for 1 hour with leanne would still show everyone you're willing to do this with or without money and as I pointed out stepping away from social media outlets and setting up live streaming to do offline recording would probably give you plenty of extra time and less stress from people to set this up. 
These are the types of sacrifices you're going to have to do from my perspective even if it takes a week or two of record to offline gaming i think everyone here can agree that it'll be benefiting you in the long run. While I believe the streaming is partly to blame for the lack of views(The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for example) this is simply a temporary thing to set something up for something new and amazing. 

Since your montages and best of months are going to happen at the end of the month i didn't include those as those are new and you would need alot of content by the end of February to eventually have something to create those videos. 

At the end of the day the only one creating more stress and unhealthy life-style is you. By saying negative things like "i can't do this as i'm not like other people" is simply an excuse. The people out there who are successful like "The Creatures" have to make sacrifices on there own channels, on there on personal lives like girlfriends and family just so they can do what NEEDS to be done to progress in there BUSINESS. If this is something you want to progress and take to the next level YOU'RE going to have to make sacrifices by starting what I posted here and also have Leanna understand this as well so she can back you up and support you. Stop saying "You can't" and Start saying "I will do this no matter what" because that's what being positive is all about. And ignoring the hateful comments or trollish comments will also help with this as well and help transform you to be new and improved Phil. 

Sorry for the long Post everyone. :)

2. I cannot setup perks for advance access to anything. I unfortunately have a group of detractors (some of which you're praising in this thread, amazingly) who have publicly stated they will just share the links to whatever is given advance access to after donating $1. I hate that the selfish/malicious actions of a few affect the many, but that's just the reality of the situation and it cannot be helped. Suggesting otherwise is just wasted time.

Here's an alternative: instead of taking the video off of the grid unless the person has the link, lock it on a per-user basis.

It does need people to actually send their youtube username and then the manual labour of unlocking it for each user, but it's more secure.

*EDIT The whole green-screen argument seems contradictory.  People have presented the argument that if you can allocate time to luxuries (luxuries, not needs) then you can allocate time to learning a new skill.  It seems you have the priorities ass-backwards, as it should be the green-screen that is seen as a need, not a perk.  Anything that could increase the quality of your work could increase your income.  The green-screen is for you, as much as for us.  Or if it isn't, then you should sell it and make some money back.

What do you mean you don't have time to learn how to use a green screen? You MAKE time. Sacrifices have to be made, that is life.

Living with a partner actually means that they can do some housework for you instead of you doing it. Plus it doesn't matter if you spend time with your partner on a day or not; my girlfriend has to stay longer hours at work or go to conventions/meetings quite frequently, that's life. I don't go with her, she goes by herself and I stay at home, that's how the real world works. If your partner can't stand you taking some time to learn how to improve your business, then she needs to grow up to be honest.

You sound like you need to manage your time way better, no body has claimed you aren't allowed to have any relaxation time, but to claim you have zero time to invest in something that will improve your business is ridiculous. Life is tough, if you can't have 1-2 hours free time one day then get over it. People frequently have days where they might not even have an hour free time before they have to go to bed for work the next day, they work through it, take a holiday and... well, get over it.

Your Patrons aren't going to donate to a cause for something that you may or may not even do; we all know how reliable you can truly be and your inadequacies with technology make me wonder if you'd even figure out how to use a green screen yourself (it's actually not that hard at all). That'd just be wasting their money and their time. And quite frankly, I don't think anybody really asked for a green screen for anything, that was your idea. If it's your idea, then you put it to work. It's not about "not getting you", it's more that you're upset because people are actually disagreeing with something that would be a negative to you. I will reiterate, it's YOUR business, if you can't take time out for your own business then that's your own damn fault, don't passively blame your viewers about how they want montages and Vlogs; if you can't find time to do all that, then that's your own fault, plan better and quit whining.

• Upvote 5

​Shoutouts should at least be $1, plus how hard is it just to read off a name for only 2 seconds? It just baffles me how Phil makes this more overcomplicated then it needs to be.

​$5 to read a name off of a paper. lmao. And he might not even do that. Sounds like it might just get typed into the video to scroll on there. Which is even less effort for him. Jesus, he's just trying to squeeze the money out of this. Plus donations for setting up a green screen? Come on.

This whole Patreon idea was a total DISASTER since there was no real thought put into it. You just set up the page in a hurry to get donation money as fast as possible when really, you should have waited until you figured all of this out. All you had to do was make it extremely reasonable - let people donate whatever amount they want and they get access to early streams/videos. Screw the "detractors." Do it anyway. You said at first this was going to be your plan, anyway. That you didn't want to have "tiers" and all that and that it's fair for anyone who donates, you wanted them all to get the same perks. But you went away from that real quick. You need to give someone incentive to say "wow, this is really fair and I get to support DSP while getting something good in return." Right now it doesn't seem fair at all and people are hardly getting anything in return. In fact, as far as I know, people who donated in January got absolutely nothing. That's $100+ you received for simply setting up the page. That's almost criminal. A lot of these people donating are your biggest fans and that's what you want to give them? A green screen set up that should have been done in a couple hours months and months ago? It's mind blowing. 

Oh, and then on top of that, you're going to vlog the green screen setup process in a bunch of short videos... to make even more money off of it. Even though you'd be making your patrons pay for the damn thing to go up in the first place. Wow. Just wow.

• Upvote 6

I really don't understand why the green screen is a goal. The process goes like this:

• Put the green screen behind you. Use push pins, whatever works.
  • Go on PC and turn on Chroma Key to green for your webcam.
  • If it doesn't work properly, try to fix. Repeat if needed.

That's all. It's not that hard to do within a half hour. (Maybe even less, if you're fast.) You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put up a green screen. :P

• Upvote 2

​Well, see. If Shoutouts were $1 all the troll names like "PhilsucksDick" and "Leannasfailedbusiness" would have to be read on stream. right? Gotta weed out the haters n trolls.

• Upvote 1

You bought the green screen and openly admitted you were going to use it for edited videos/vlogs/project 7/etc. This was BEFORE the Patreon idea came out even as a thought.

Going by that, regardless of Patreon, you need to learn how to use it for future projects that might save your steadily declining views.

So, if you reach the goal on Patreon, you learn how to use the green screen. If you don't reach it, you'll STILL learn it because you KNOW you need to (and also want to).

A goal is supposed to add/trigger something NEW if reached. The outcome being EXACTLY the same on both situations proves how bad the goal is.

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is this: if you don't agree with my deserving at least 1-2 hours of free time a day in order to stay healthy/happy and continue to put out quality videos, and you think I need to actively sacrifice that on a regular basis to "improve my business," then you don't get me or any of what this has ever been about.

"If you think I need to put some effort into what I do to improve, you don't get me." I mean, really, this just baffles me. Are you that afraid of doing slightly more work than usual? Even if you say you only get a couple of hours of free time each day, you can make time. The green screen is clearly something that your fans would really like to see you use, so how is it so strange to expect you to make a few sacrifices to get them something they'll really enjoy? 

​Well, see. If Shoutouts were $1 all the troll names like "PhilsucksDick" and "Leannasfailedbusiness" would have to be read on stream. right? Gotta weed out the haters n trolls.

​If those troll names are "haters" then you won't ever see them giving any money to phil.

It seems to me this whole Patreon idea was super rushed and a knee jerk reaction to your views decline and you didn't really thought it through.It also seems like everything is set to benefit you and you only.It also seems like you gave up on getting new viewers and you're hoping to use your existing fanbase to donate.But that's just me

• Upvote 5

Phil your entire response earlier was just excuse after excuse. You don't seem to have listened to a single word anyone has said unfortunately.

*Must've clicked 'spoiler' by accident. Apologies.*

It seems to me this whole Patreon idea was super rushed and a knee jerk reaction to your views decline and you didn't really thought it through.It also seems like everything is set to benefit you and you only.It also seems like you gave up on getting new viewers and you're hoping to use your existing fanbase to donate.But that's just me

​exactly what I was thinking he's just now trying to get ideas and work on patreon, but shouldn't that have been done before he ever set up a patreon page? pretty bad for someone with a business degree 

​If those troll names are "haters" then you won't ever see them giving any money to phil.

​I bet you if they could pay $1 to make Phil publicly say their names they absolutely would do that.

Considering the green screen is a one-time effort, I simply cannot fathom how you can take 3 days off for a "staycation", yet simply cannot find the time to spend a few hours setting up a greens screen. It's not a huge task. You can take 3 days off, but you can't cancel 3 hours of footage one evening to set up a green screen that will directly benefit you long-term?  No one is criticizing you for taking time off. People are just pointing out that you've had tons of opportunities to set up the green screen - and seemingly continue to have such opportunities - yet you're now effectively putting something that will benefit you in the long run behind a Patreon goal that fans have to pay for.

You could easily spend 2-3 hours during your 3 days off to set it up. 2-3 hours is the equal of not watching 1 movie that day, and Leanna doing the chores around the house, with the end going being something that will help the business that is currently supporting both of you.

• Upvote 2

Hey Phil here's a guide to using green screen

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/tutorial-pull-of-great-chroma-key

To add to the discussion I did see someone pledge money with the name "DipShitPhil" So people are willing to donate just to troll Phil with offensive names.

He has said on countless vlogs that he hates when people stop their commentary during gameplay to read the names of people donating. So if he did read your name for donating he will get more flack for changing his stance on verbal shoutouts.

He just needs to learn how the chroma key software works, determine the distance from the green screen for himself and the camera, determine the perfect lighting so it looks good.

He should be sitting off center with a background the has space for a muted video of his gameplay while he talks about the game.

I still think he could share his private stream archives with Patreon supporters using google+. The patreon supporters that give a certain amount will give him their google+ name and add them to his newly created circle called 'Patreon" Every night he would go to each stream and add it to his Patreon circle. And if someone downloads the video and uploads it to their channel then so be it.

Hey Phil here's a guide to using green screen

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/tutorial-pull-of-great-chroma-key

To add to the discussion I did see someone pledge money with the name "DipShitPhil" So people are willing to donate just to troll Phil with offensive names.

He has said on countless vlogs that he hates when people stop their commentary during gameplay to read the names of people donating. So if he did read your name for donating he will get more flack for changing his stance on verbal shoutouts.

He just needs to learn how the chroma key software works, determine the distance from the green screen for himself and the camera, determine the perfect lighting so it looks good.

He should be sitting off center with a background the has space for a muted video of his gameplay while he talks about the game.

I still think he could share his private stream archives with Patreon supporters using google+. The patreon supporters that give a certain amount will give him their google+ name and add them to his newly created circle called 'Patreon" Every night he would go to each stream and add it to his Patreon circle. And if someone downloads the video and uploads it to their channel then so be it.

​As far as shout-outs go, he doesn't have to stop mid-stream or mid commentary in order to do so. He could take of the shout-outs either during one of his breaks, or at the end of the stream. Also, unfortunately, either way he goes there will most likely be flack since many of the changes he's suggested doing as far as Patreon goals are things that he has said he would not do.

Also, that's some good ideas for the green screen.

​Maybe I'm the odd man out, but how is taking the time to actually thank the people who are supporting you such a bad thing? It seems to me that he would WANT to take a few minutes to say "hey, thanks for the support" instead of griping about how when others do it, it's annoying. Not sure when being appreciative and thankful became annoying. I really do not think people should have to pay any amount of money for just a short and sweet Thank You,  but as I said, maybe it's just me. Appreciation goes along way.

• Upvote 1

Ah you're suggesting having the video private and only certain users to view it. That could definitely work

​The problem is anyone can rip the video from the page regardless of it's private.

​Oh god I wish that were true. But these people will absolutely go that length for a shoutout. We're talking about the type of people that spend $300+ to steal his trademark.

As for shoutouts I think $5 is fine. Just not any higher. As I said $1-$4 should just be an "acceptance" of adblock.

​The problem is anyone can rip the video from the page regardless of it's private.

​Oh god I wish that were true. But these people will absolutely go that length for a shoutout. We're talking about the type of people that spend $300+ to steal his trademark.

As for shoutouts I think $5 is fine. Just not any higher. As I said $1-$4 should just be an "acceptance" of adblock.

​acceptance of what?

Shoutouts should be for any amount $1 + , its so simple, done at end of video/podcast, u cant say only $5 or more cuz what if legit "patreon" can only give less , its definitely not good to be selective there

and for the Early access, jus do it, dont go back on what you said cuz ppl might "rip it" or give the link, People pirate and give out big name games , sometimes its even out b4 its released, u dont see devs say oh im not gunna release this cuz ppl keep leaking/pirating our games, its same thing

• Upvote 2