The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Patreon GOAL Suggestions Thread! (Input Needed!)

​The problem is anyone can rip the video from the page regardless of it's private.

​Oh god I wish that were true. But these people will absolutely go that length for a shoutout. We're talking about the type of people that spend $300+ to steal his trademark.

As for shoutouts I think $5 is fine. Just not any higher. As I said $1-$4 should just be an "acceptance" of adblock.

​if the video is private they can't simply rip the video. You'd have to give access to people based off email addresses to view it. And i'm also not sure if you can rip a private video anyway. I haven't tried it myself but i would think it wouldn't be possible. 

As for donations, I'm talking about people who complain that you're paying phil. I've gotten plenty of tweets from these people claiming I'm paying phil. While i wouldn't mind doing  the twitch subscription didn't benefit me. And right now i don't have an account to use patreon and if i did these perks wouldn't benefit me anyway right now. I don't know any haters who'd risk being a hypocrite and paying phil while attacking his fans for doing the same thing. 

You could easily spend 2-3 hours during your 3 days off to set it up. 2-3 hours is the equal of not watching 1 movie that day, and Leanna doing the chores around the house, with the end going being something that will help the business that is currently supporting both of you.

​This isn't likely because there stay-cation is actually being done in a hotel for 2 days in the main city of seattle. Maybe when they return friday but i do agree it shouldn't take any longer than 3 hours as you said to set it up. 
With that link someone posted on how to set it up it should be pretty easy.

This isn't likely because there stay-cation is actually being done in a hotel for 2 days in the main city of seattle. Maybe when they return friday but i do agree it shouldn't take any longer than 3 hours as you said to set it up. 
With that link someone posted on how to set it up it should be pretty easy.

​I still don't get the point of them doing this. He has the EASIEST job in the entire world, what does he need a vacation from?

• Upvote 2

and for the Early access, jus do it, dont go back on what you said cuz ppl might "rip it" or give the link, People pirate and give out big name games , sometimes its even out b4 its released, u dont see devs say oh im not gunna release this cuz ppl keep leaking/pirating our games, its same thing

​Do you really think people will watch his Patreon videos if they were leaked by haters? Compared to make movies studios and game developers who have lots of clout it isn't the same thing.

​if the video is private they can't simply rip the video. You'd have to give access to people based off email addresses to view it. And i'm also not sure if you can rip a private video anyway. I haven't tried it myself but i would think it wouldn't be possible. 

​Pretty sure that's not how it works. Making the video private on Patreon simply means you have to be supporting that person to see it. Or at least I think that's how it works. And how is it not possible to rip it? The haters have been ripping Phil's streams and videos for years with their "expose" videos.

No. Early access just wont work.

​Oh god I wish that were true. But these people will absolutely go that length for a shoutout. We're talking about the type of people that spend $300+ to steal his trademark.

You mean legally acclaiming the trademark because Phil did not bother to spend those $300?

And aside from the discussion if adblock should be allowed or not anyways - if I donate $1 I have all the right to use adblock. After all - would he get more more from me if I would use adblock and NOT donate?

• Upvote 5

You mean legally acclaiming the trademark because Phil did not bother to spend those $300?

And aside from the discussion if adblock should be allowed or not anyways - if I donate $1 I have all the right to use adblock. After all - would he get more more from me if I would use adblock and NOT donate?

​No it wasn't legal. He was claiming he owned something that he did not. You can't file a trademark for product that someone else made/owns. That's 100% illegal.

"if I donate $1 I have all the right to use adblock." That's... exactly what I was trying to say.

​It's always possible to rip a video.

Making it private video rather than unlisted does the following:

a) create extra steps before the video is viewable by others, making it slightly more inconvenient to do so.

b) provide an opportunity to detect who is redistributing it, and close off their access permanently, remove them from the list of patrons and refund them (since it's locked to a google+ account)

If you really wanted to make sure to catch everyone (if they're not stupid enough to upload it to the youtube channel that they were given access with), you could upload a duplicate video for individual patrons here in and there with a unique hidden watermark--if you see it reuploaded elsewhere, you know who did it (including name and address) and can permanently cut off their access.  Can't they just create a new google+ account and donate again?  Two ways around that: 1) make it a perk that requires a non-significant amount of cash 2) require you have an account at least a year old (most people who care about Phil's content will have that).

​ Do you really think people will watch his Patreon videos if they were leaked by haters?

Honestly?  Yes I would.  Though it's not whether they watch the private video that matters, it's whether they donate.  The first people to donate would use the link provided.  Would they withdraw their patronage once they see that they can get the video elsewhere?  Depends on the sentiment behind their donating to begin with.

​ Pretty sure that's not how it works. Making the video private on Patreon simply means you have to be supporting that person to see it.

Not private on patreon, on youtube.

No. Early access just wont work.

You're right, and DSP making money on youtube wouldn't work because DipshitPhil is reuploading his content.  Wait, he does do that.  That's why I don't understand why he says it won't work.  Unless there's another factor I'm not aware of, it seems like it's an emotional decision because the idea of anyone cheating the system incenses him.

If I'm watching his private videos he decides to share with me because I'm a Patreon supporter I know how people can download the video even if it's private and they don't have the video's web address.

There's a company called Real Networks that allows you to download youtube videos. When I hover my mouse cursor over a video a tab appears that says "download video" Basically anyone that pays a subscription fee to real networks and give Phil the money to access his private videos could download the videos and re-upload them to share with people that are not his Patreon supporters because they do not like him, are not interested in paying for content, cannot afford the donation or lives in a country that does not allow them to donate to Patreon. So basically you give Phil the money to watch the videos early then someone copies the videos and everyone else watches for free because someone wants to financially sabotage Phil. It's the same as buying a movie on blu-ray then making a copy and distributing the copies for free which is illegal because the movie industry pays billions of dollars in taxes and employs a ton of people that benefit the economy.

He's asking for donations so he can film Project 7  and his reviews with a green screen and film at locations outside his house instead of playing older games during downtime.Using the green screen software and editing out all the outtakes will take lots of time. The earlier Project 7 was easy because he had a group of people to do the editing and special effects for free allowing him to do gameplay videos full time. This time Phil has to do everything himself.

Not private on patreon, on youtube.

​Wait then what does that have to do with Patreon? Or are you saying he would have to manually give access to individual donators? That would be a huge nuisance. He would have to constantly find out the Youtube names of each donator (If that's even possible) and constantly monitor when/if a donator backs out to remove access.

@lourat: Your idea is so bad. That not only takes an obscene amount of time and work, but it's not even foolproof. It's also flawed because it asks for things that are just silly(an account that is a year old?) Most people who like Phil's content have an account that is a year old? That's completely arbitrary. It's so easy to rip videos that I would recommend abandoning that perk entirely. 

Secondly, my thoughts on DSP's system: 

1. If you only have 1-2 hours to yourself a day, you must be doing something very wrong. Yes, you have built your own business and you're naturally investing a TON of time into it, but if you only have that small amount of time to yourself, you need to work on better time management or cut some series completely out. In regards to your green screen crisis, I don't see why you can't dedicate one day(Hell, a few hours!) strictly to learning how to use it. In the past, you've been able to take days off to do non work related things. Why not take a day off for something that will help your actual work content? A lot of the things you listed as "Personal Side" aren't things that you should be doing every single day. If you are, there is clearly an issue. And if you are doing so many of those things everyday and they DO take up a large amount of time(which I find hard to believe, honestly), why not ask Pandalee to help out? 

Also, I would donate an obscene amount of money to see you play more Street Fighter. I am dead serious. It doesn't even have to be the competitive goal you had in mind. Just dedicate some streams to Street Fighter and other fighting games. It's what made me gravitate to your channel and eventually stick around to see your other great playthroughs. 

​Wait then what does that have to do with Patreon? Or are you saying he would have to manually give access to individual donators? That would be a huge nuisance. He would have to constantly find out the Youtube names of each donator (If that's even possible) and constantly monitor when/if a donator backs out to remove access.

​I knew there'd be work involved, although i'm not sure how much.  You'd specify in the patreon page to supply your gmail address.  A pivotal aspect of how much work it would be is whether you can upload a batch of accounts to the whitelist or if you have to add them one at a time.  Then keep them in a text file, do a weekly check to see if any are added or lost, and do any necessary updates.

@lourat: Your idea is so bad. That not only takes an obscene amount of time and work, but it's not even foolproof. It's also flawed because it asks for things that are just silly(an account that is a year old?) Most people who like Phil's content have an account that is a year old? That's completely arbitrary. It's so easy to rip videos that I would recommend abandoning that perk entirely.

Maybe so.  I knew it was flawed when mentioning it.  It depends on how far you want to go to prevent reuploads.  Although as I said, people reupload his existing content and he still manages, so I don't know why it's different for the perk.

​I knew there'd be work involved, although i'm not sure how much.  You'd specify in the patreon page to supply your gmail address.  A defining aspect would be whether you can upload a batch of accounts to the whitelist or add them one at a time.  Then keep them in a text file, do a weekly check to see if any are added or lost, and do any necessary updates.

​And what if a patreon doesn't use Google+? If anyone donates and Phil can't get the YouTube information Phil gets payed without giving them the perk. Would it be his fault? No but the point is it's an inconvenient system.

​And what if a patreon doesn't use Google+? If anyone donates and Phil can't get the YouTube information Phil gets payed without giving them the perk. Would it be his fault? No but the point is it's an inconvenient system.

​Patreon doesn't need to use google+.  None of this is automated.  After donating, they would be asked to email him from their gmail address (or send a message over patreon with their gmail address) to gain access, and then he'd add their access by hand.

Hey, I'm not exactly sold on the idea myself, since Phil is trying to reduce his workload, not add to it.  But if one were determined to thwart those who would rip his videos I think he could make their life a lot harder.  If he can pin down the specific individual and remove their access, they have to pay for the privilege again for every video rip at the very least.  One could in theory make it so distasteful that even the most determined hater would just throw in the towel.

If 50 people donated enough to get early access to certain videos he would have to upload the same video 50 different times with a different watermark on each video. Then wait for someone to re-upload it, determine who was sent a link to the video with the watermark in the re-upload video then remove them from his patreon thing.

He would have to repeat this process every month because the theif could just create a new account on Patreon and youtube.

Don't underestimate how much effort some people are willing to put into sabotaging Patreon for everyone else.

​Patreon doesn't need to use google+.  None of this is automated.  After donating, they would be asked to email him from their gmail address (or send a message over patreon with their gmail address) to gain access, and then he'd add their access by hand.

Hey, I'm not exactly sold on the idea myself, since Phil is trying to reduce his workload, not add to it.  But if one were determined to thwart those who would rip his videos I think he could make their life a lot harder.  If he can pin down the specific individual and remove their access, they have to pay for the privilege again for every video rip at the very least.  One could in theory make it so distasteful that even the most determined hater would just throw in the towel.

​I meant if the Donator doesn't have Google+ Not the Patreon website.

​I meant if the Donator doesn't have Google+ Not the Patreon website.

​Well, these days you need google+ to have a youtube account.  I suppose it's possible an avid viewer of a youtube let's player doesn't have a youtube account...

If 50 people donated enough to get early access to certain videos he would have to upload the same video 50 different times with a different watermark on each video.

That would be crazy.  Upload 3, figure out which group a reuploaded vid came from, present 3 to that group, narrow it down, keep doing that until you figure out who it is.  As long as the perk is prohibitively expensive to keep re-donating as a patron (assuming you don't use the 1-yr account rule) the same people won't keep popping back up once you eliminate them.

Anyway, I can't imagine him seriously doing this so this is probably derailing the thread, so let's focus on something else...

If 50 people donated enough to get early access to certain videos he would have to upload the same video 50 different times with a different watermark on each video. Then wait for someone to re-upload it, determine who was sent a link to the video with the watermark in the re-upload video then remove them from his patreon thing.

He would have to repeat this process every month because the theif could just create a new account on Patreon and youtube.

Don't underestimate how much effort some people are willing to put into sabotaging Patreon for everyone else.

That's a total waste of time to be honest. There's no reason to go into such extremes.

I don't love paywalls, because it's not really a business expansion, it's just holding back content - you should be adding things, not subtracting them.  You want to be different from the big Youtubers?  Big Youtubers use early access gimmicks.

I suggested the different watermarks because it's what Hollywood uses when they send movies to people that judges films for awards shows and sometimes people make illegal copies of the screeners because they are released early.

I admit it's not feasible because if someone gets caught all they have to do is make a new youtube account, new Patreon account and give Phil the contribution every month they want to copy the early access stuff.

He should just do one long stream of gameplay and set the stream archive to public, the slides he shows during the prestream and breaks will show the names of people that contribute 5+. The names will be arranged according the contribution amount from top to bottom. He will not read all the names because the detractors will skewer him and do montages calling him a hypocrite for all his complaints about people thanking people verbally during their streams. He should do a minimum of one long stream a month and do additional long streams based on how much he gets a month total.

Create a section of the forums that only Patreons can enter with a password. Basically Phil posts a list of games that he is willing to play, the Patreons use a password to enter the Patreon section and just post which game they want from the list. If 50 people contribute enough to be allowed to vote then there should only be 50 posts in that thread besides Phil's first post. People will send their forum names on Patreon then he could double check to see if their donation was actually processed on the first of the month then send them the password.

If anybody posts with a forum name in that sectionthat isn't on the list the get banned. The forum section will only be for voting no idle chatter.

Here's something that I don't think has been brought up yet in the Patreon conversation.

If you meet these goals, that obviously means more time working on side projects and fewer playthroughs, right? So how are you planning on choosing the games that you WILL play? I suspect you'll still be planning things months in advance, based on what you think will get the most views, and that'll probably end up being the usual triple A mainstream stuff. If you end up cutting back to completing 3-4 games a month in between completing your goals, that essentially pushes retro playthroughs, indie games, niche games, and little critical darlings completely off the table. You'll lose your identity as "the guy who plays almost every new release to completion."

Have you thought at all about how you plan on balancing new series, Patreon rewards, and what you've already been giving your viewers for all these years? When there's a busy month of new releases, do you abandon your Patreon rewards?

• Upvote 1

So far here are the ideas I've come up with:

-Taking 1-2 days off from gameplay to set up/learn how to use my Green Screen setup (which has been in the closet since last summer). I'll make setup vlogs of it to document the process as well as do demo streams/vids utilizing the green screen. The green screen will then be used in future projects such as vlogs and the Project 7 reboot, amongst others. 
-My very first "gaming marathon" where I'll stream from 6-10 straight hours (with a few breaks) of a game/series of games that fans have requested. This will include lots of fan interaction in the stream chat (something I don't frequently do) which will make it very unique from my usual gameplay content.
-Playing sessions of games that I normally would not play, or that Patreon donators could vote on. The obvious one here that tons of people have asked me to play over the years is Minecraft, but I'd think that would be the absolutely HIGHEST goal out of all of them. There may be more, such as "the worst games ever made" in E.T., Superman 64, Sonic '06 etc. (I'm seriously dreading all of these as I know how awful they are, but I'd be willing to play them if we hit the goals).
-This one is kind of out there - but if I hit certain goals maybe I could make trips to Microsoft/Sony/other gaming studios in this area and do studio tours, behind-the-scenes kind of stuff etc. that I could vlog OR give in-depth explanations of (if they don't allow cameras). Living in Seattle has put me into perfect position to do this as many game studios have their headquarters right here.
-This one would be the BIGGEST overall goal: I dramatically reduce the amount of overall gameplay content I put out in order to focus on - get ready for this - fighting games. I focus solely on getting into competitive shape in Street Fighter, extensively play/test the new Mortal Kombat, and actively seek out/become a frequent attendee of the local fighting game scene in Seattle. If it went so far, I'd even attend EVO. (Keep in mind, this would be a STRETCH goal as it would mean completely changing up the way I do things and would require a MASSIVE Patreon investment to offset the guaranteed declines in YouTube revenue I'd receive).

As for perks, we've all but shot down all of them but I believe there are 1 or 2 that we could still do:
1. if someone donates $50, I'll put them into Project 7 in some way (webcam video segment, special guest, voiceover etc. per what they're capable of doing). 
2. If someone donates $25, they get a shout-out that month in the credits or a special segment on my vlogs or shows

This is my first SERIOUS attempt at setting up my Patreon perks and goals. Please, if you will, respond with the following:

1. Suggested prices for the goals (how much to hit to do each one etc.)
2. Feedback on the goals (any suggested tweaks, improvements, additional goals or ideas why these wouldn't work?)
3. Feedback on the perks

As always, please try to stay on-topic and refrain from being overly negative (just saying IT WON'T WORK! YOU DONT DESERVE MONEY! etc. isn't going to fly and will result in moderation action) and try to remain positive and constructive. Thanks!

​1. I am on the  same boat with everyone else on the green screen, this is something that should have of had the time dedicated to it among the purchase. You knew the circumstances and sacrifices that would have to be made when you purchased the Green Screen, I hope. So, I don't really see this as a goal I'd pay to see. 

2. The Marathon of gaming, as for I really wouldn't be much for this certain goal. 6 - 8 hours of hearing complaints about the game or certain rage on certain areas of the game. Now this fan - interaction that is suppose to be done along with the marathon, what do you mean by fan - interaction?  Helping you through the game? Letting them dictate where go into the game? How about the fans ask question and you answer them while playing the game or open up a Ventrilo for fans to join you while you play the game and every hour or so you switch the callers. (The ones who paid go first since that actually contributed revenue then after its open up for whoever can join).

3. Since this is the highest goal as you mentioned, how much money are you looking for to play the games listed? 

4. I really cannot comment on this since I have no clue on how tours are done with gaming studios or if there can even be filming, but if there cannot be I wouldn't really be interested in hearing in-depth detail of what happened, that is just me though.

5. Didn't you once say you were hated in the FGC and if you were to go you would hire a body guard, so people don't start shit? Yeah.. I don't know about that one.. I'll leave that to the FGC. 

6. You have already touched on the shout - out prices and such, so I don't need to say much on that part.

So: if you don't get that, then I actively ask you to NOT participate in this discussion because, honestly, you're not of the same mindset as me and you're not going to donate to my Patreon anyway. Patreon donators, when it comes down to it, are either going to be people who 1. enjoy the content I put out and want to see it continue, 2. want to see that content improve or 3. just like me for one reason or another. If you're not of those three, then no reason to ever read any further or waste your time here.

You're right, I am not going to donate cause I see nothing of interest to donate to honestly. But to dismiss hardcore fans such as myself because I do not apply to the three reasons seems quite harsh. I wanted to see you improve your content along with your commentary. I don't see myself as wasting time here since anyone donating or not, can offer up solid advice. 

Regardless if he does Patreon or not he needs to cut back. Dying Light was a prime example. That game was TERRIBLE!

I think we can all agree that Phil's strong parts are survivor horror and narrative games as well as fighting games and wwe sims once in a while. IMO he should primarily play survivor horror and narrative games while only playing a small handful of big releases.

When Phil plays every single video game 80% of those playthroughs are of games that didn't need to be played. Random example. Neverdead. Was there any hype for that game? It was just an action game with a gimmick. And look what happened. The game was very meh (And that's putting it lightly).

From here on out Phil should be playing narrative games, survivor horror, and only play the MAJOR releases. He should also do more research about game to see if it's worth his time or not.

Patreon supporters would be allowed to vote for one game to play during downtime and he has to play it until completion even if it takes him until next month. Phil will make the list to vote on so he doesn't rage the entire time because he never wanted to play the game before he starts playing. Tales of Xillia and Parasite Eve should be finished before March comes so he can do the voted downtime game next month.

First two weeks of March is empty so he could do the voted downtime game then.

• Upvote 1

Regardless if he does Patreon or not he needs to cut back. Dying Light was a prime example. That game was TERRIBLE!

I think we can all agree that Phil's strong parts are survivor horror and narrative games as well as fighting games and wwe sims once in a while. IMO he should primarily play survivor horror and narrative games while only playing a small handful of big releases.

When Phil plays every single video game 80% of those playthroughs are of games that didn't need to be played. Random example. Neverdead. Was there any hype for that game? It was just an action game with a gimmick. And look what happened. The game was very meh (And that's putting it lightly).

From here on out Phil should be playing narrative games, survivor horror, and only play the MAJOR releases. He should also do more research about game to see if it's worth his time or not.

​It's not about what he should play, it's about what he can play. He has to get those first-day views. And frankly, he believes he has to rush them in order to get to the next game, all for the first-day views.

Narrative games, I can see cause he can be himself and take it easy. But that's a big no on survival horror. For one, he completely kills the atmosphere with laughing and bad jokes, not allowing anyone watching to fully appreciate the game. And some of his biggest mistakes have come from horror games. Besides the obvious example (which the mere mention of it will get anyone banned), take for instance Alien: Isolation. How many times did we see the Alien constantly kill him... again and again.... in the same spot nevertheless. Survival horror is not his strong suit and I don't even know why he thinks that is.

Fighting games? Give me one match where he doesn't blame his controller, lag, or the other person, then maybe I can agree with you there.

There's a lot that Phil needs to do to change his business, but this thread is neither the time nor the place.

• Upvote 2