The King of Hate Forums
Patricio87

The "Staycation" discussion

I think we should have a discussion topic for Phil's "staycation". For those that don't know, Phil and Leanna are renting a hotel for 2 days in Seattle for some time off. Phil posted some vlogs from his trip. It seems to have drawn a bit of controversy and maybe having a topic to discuss people's thoughts will keep people from ranting on twitter and Youtube comments. Personally I think what Phil is doing is fine, but could see how people see it in a negative light. And also I looked up the hotel Phil is staying at and it is NOT expensive at all. Pretty cheap actually. 

I personally do not think it is of major concern as to what Phil wants to do. With the "stay-cation," I personally do not see much harm in him taking one. If he feels that he really needs it, why not? There is the debt issue that others have already covered, so I will not go into that. But what gets me is his reaction to those who are criticizing or insulting him for it. Insulting him is not going to do anything for him, but his reaction on his more recent Tweets is not doing him any good either. 

If Phil chose to take this "stay-cation," it was meant for him to relax and spend time with his significant other. Getting angry over what some people are saying should not be how he spends it. He should just ignore all of those posts for the meanwhile and address them when he is in a more "fresh" state of mind after he takes this time to relax a little.

Take the vacation for its intended purpose: to relax. It is not so healthy to be getting this angry in what is supposed to be your time off.

• Upvote 2

The simple act of taking a break isn't an issue.

As is usual with Phil, the way he went about it, his lack of self-awareness about how people would react to it, and his bad attitude are the problem.

• Upvote 10

I think we should have a discussion topic for Phil's "staycation". For those that don't know, Phil and Leanna are renting a hotel for 2 days in Seattle for some time off. Phil posted some vlogs from his trip. It seems to have drawn a bit of controversy and maybe having a topic to discuss people's thoughts will keep people from ranting on twitter and Youtube comments. Personally I think what Phil is doing is fine, but could see how people see it in a negative light. And also I looked up the hotel Phil is staying at and it is NOT expensive at all. Pretty cheap actually. 

​$300 for 2 days isn't "inexpensive" at all. After the 3 days are done he will have spent close to or over $1,000.

The main problem I have is how vocal he's been about being in debt, not making enough money from YouTube to pay bills, wanting us to donate to him to bail him out of debt and telling us he has no "time or money" to learn how to use green screen unless we pay him. Then he does shit like this which completely contradicts everything he's said.

• Upvote 8

Sure he's posting vlogs but aside from that who honestly cares what they do with their spare time? I don't.

• Upvote 2

All the things Phil does to deserve criticism, and people settle on the most superficial one of them all: how he chooses to spend his own money.

No, I don't get the whole "stay-cation" thing either. I just think it's pointless to complain about something that doesn't effect you. If he wants to blow his money, I say let him.

• Upvote 2

Sure he's posting vlogs but aside from that who honestly cares what they do with their spare time? I don't.

If he wants to make more money on Patreon, he should demonstrate that it's being well spent.  Let's say you gave me $100, no strings attached, because I said I was in desperate need of money, and the next day I publicly posted a photo of myself burning dollar bills.  Would you feel that you made a good decision to give me money?  Would you suspect that I lied about how badly I needed the money?  Would you give me money in the future if I asked for it?

I don't have enough money to just drop everything and take a 3 day staycation, so why should I give charity to someone who's already so well-off?

• Upvote 2

If he wants to make more money on Patreon, he should demonstrate that it's being well spent.  Let's say you gave me $100, no strings attached, because I said I was in desperate need of money, and the next day I publicly posted a photo of myself burning dollar bills.  Would you feel that you made a good decision to give me money?  Would you suspect that I lied about how badly I needed the money?  Would you give me money in the future if I asked for it?

I don't have enough money to just drop everything and take a 3 day staycation, so why should I give charity to someone who's already so well-off.

Hmm....I didn't think of Patreon. I could care less what he does with his own money, but if it's money given to him for the sake of the channel, that's a different story. I guess there'd be no way of telling, though, would there?

The thing I'm noticing is that people are automatically assuming that the Patreon money is what's being used for the stay-cation. How do you know that Phil isn't saving that money for something else? This could easily come from the money he's already had, so assuming the most negative thing to me is absurd.

• Upvote 3

He complains about being in debt, yet wants to spend money on a hotel for a "vacation", goes out for fast food instead of taking the inexpensive route and cooking.... Yup, makes sense to me.

• Upvote 1

but his reaction on his more recent Tweets is not doing him any good either.

​Yeah he needs to work on his PR skills...badly. His reactions today on Twitter are seriously pathetic and unprofessional. #DSPositive. 

• Upvote 5

The thing I'm noticing is that people are automatically assuming that the Patreon money is what's being used for the stay-cation. How do you know that Phil isn't saving that money for something else? This could easily come from the money he's already had, so assuming the most negative thing to me is absurd.

​The first draft of Phil's Patreon page said that the money contributed to it was going to "defray the debt from the move". I doubt anyone is accusing him of taking from Patreon and spending that directly; it's just such a baffling decision to accept that $150 for January while offering nothing in return, and then immediately spending several times that on a frivolity.

• Upvote 6

​The first draft of Phil's Patreon page said that the money contributed to it was going to "defray the debt from the move". I doubt anyone is accusing him of taking from Patreon and spending that directly; it's just such a baffling decision to accept that $150 for January while offering nothing in return, and then immediately spending several times that on a frivolity.

​True. If he's already in debt from the move, logically speaking it does not make sense to put himself further into debt in other regards. Even if he makes the minimum payments (and if JUST that), it'll take a long time to dig out of that debt. It just kind of raises a red flag especially coupled with a lot of other statements Phil has made. Like how he says can't just take time off to Green Screen, yet can take a staycation.

• Upvote 2

Considering his outbursts on Twitter, I wouldn't be surprised if people hit the nail on the head. If Phil is massively in debt, why would he spend so much money for a 'stay-cation'? He's acting like people are angry that he's gone away somewhere, no not really. People are mad because he's moaning that he's in debt and needs support and can't take time off yet when he goes away somewhere he throws his money down the shitter. He doesn't think before he acts, he'll call everyone who disagrees a childish moron, but I personally think chilidsh morons spend their vacation on Twitter being a passive aggressive man child rather than enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

​Yeah I don't understand this logic, the Patreon money should be going toward Phil's future projects. I'm not concerned about his daily food habits. People imply that the only money he has to spend is what we're giving him, and so far his Patreon money isn't even enough to pay for his hotel. He's only made $157 through Patreon...are people blind?

​Yeah I don't understand this logic, the Patreon money should be going toward Phil's future projects. I'm not concerned about his daily food habits. People imply that the only money he has to spend is what we're giving him, and so far his Patreon money isn't even enough to pay for his hotel. He's only made $157 through Patreon...are people blind?

​You're side-stepping the issue. He complains about debt, dropping views, and yet he goes out of his way to spend money on a Staycation at a hotel; a frivolous expense. Stop clinging to the Patreon issue as though it's the only argument you have.

• Upvote 2

​It's not that he is taking spare time out..it's the fact the he says he is in "debt" and begs for his fans for money and he does this crap, kind of feels like he is only doing patreon just to support his spending habits, when he could be using that money making his stream better..this is why I don't donate to Phil..

• Upvote 1

​You're side-stepping the issue. He complains about debt, dropping views, and yet he goes out of his way to spend money on a Staycation at a hotel; a frivolous expense. Stop clinging to the Patreon issue as though it's the only argument you have.

​Wow, so defensive. You know everyone with a mortgage is technically in debt? And he has two. Not sure how dropping views and debt from the house and car suddenly mean he has to resort to bread and water. Please form a logical argument.

• Upvote 2

​Setting up a Patreon implies that you need money.  If you can just casually spend a year's worth of Patreon money in a single weekend, then you should be more than equipped to give tangible Patreon benefits.

​Wow, so defensive. You know everyone with a mortgage is technically in debt? And he has two. Not sure how dropping views and debt from the house and car suddenly mean he has to resort to bread and water. Please form a logical argument.

​Because mature adults cut back on expenses when their income drops instead of begging for money.  We're not demanding that he live off bread and water, just suggesting that he stop living off champagne and caviar.

• Upvote 7

​Wow, so defensive. You know everyone with a mortgage is technically in debt? And he has two. Not sure how dropping views and debt from the house and car suddenly mean he has to resort to bread and water.

​Wow, so logic. I say that a hotel is a frivolous expense, therefore I must be saying he needs to resort to bread and water. He's taking a vacation nearby, sidestepping the need for a hotel. I suggest you fully read a post someone makes before making leaps in logic, such as insinuating they are suggesting that someone resort to poverty-level eating habits when criticizing an necessary lucrative expensive.

P.S. - I wasn't being defensive. I just tire of some people on this forum being a one trick pony.

Never understood why there is controversy with phil taking a break from making content. I mean.. Its not like he owes us anything right? Sure, I can see that people want him to finish the games he is doing right now (I do too considering he is thinking about doing Metroid Prime in the near future with downtime). I, however, don't see the reason for bashing the guy for spending money on his vacation (yeah writing "staycation" feels really weird for me so I'll stick to "vacation"). 

I guess it could be that people think that he didn't have any money and people are trying to "expose" him. Other than that, I don't see the point of all the controversy behind him taking a break. Then again, I could be missing something but I dunno what it could be right now. 

Just let the man relax for once guys, seriously. I know, the next person is gonna tell me: "he plays games for a living, why does he need a break?", I know how you feel but seriously guys, Phil isn't all there is to life and he is only one guy. I can understand some things that phil does are dumb (like a patreon goal for green screen), but I'm not gonna vent all my anger at him because of his shortcomings. I'll just say it once more though, let the guy rest, as I am sure if any one of us were on break, the last thing any of us would want is drama.

TL;DR = Not sure why everyone is angry at Phil, but relax, do something fun (like play video games or go outside?) and stop "trying to expose him"/worring about his financial problems.

• Upvote 2

The bigger problem here is Phils PR skills, if he had just responded calmly and explained himself he would have been fine. Instead he had to blow it up and have a negative attitude about it which led to this much backlash. 

• Upvote 9

The bigger problem here is Phils PR skills, if he had just responded calmly and explained himself he would have been fine. Instead he had to blow it up and have a negative attitude about it which led to this much backlash. 

i can see that. He really needs to learn to use a filter and not be so reactionary.