The King of Hate Forums

The "Staycation" discussion

You see, I can understand the people who are legitimately concerned about things like Phil's PR skills and him being in debt (which we don't know how much in debt he is, so making the assumption that he has no money to spend shouldn't be what people worry about). The thing I have a problem with, however, is the people on twitter who keep spamming that he's only using Patreon money for this stay-cation. I probably shouldn't think about that, but it does bug me sometimes. Just let the man enjoy his time off.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The simple act of taking a break isn't an issue. As is usual with Phil, the way he went about it, his lack of self-awareness about how people would react to it, and his bad attitude are the problem.

The bigger problem here is Phils PR skills, if he had just responded calmly and explained himself he would have been fine. Instead he had to blow it up and have a negative attitude about it which led

​$300 for 2 days isn't "inexpensive" at all. After the 3 days are done he will have spent close to or over $1,000. The main problem I have is how vocal he's been about being in debt, not making enoug

Posted Images

You see, I can understand the people who are legitimately concerned about things like Phil's PR skills and him being in debt (which we don't know how much in debt he is, so making the assumption that he has no money to spend shouldn't be what people worry about). The thing I have a problem with, however, is the people on twitter who keep spamming that he's only using Patreon money for this stay-cation. I probably shouldn't think about that, but it does bug me sometimes. Just let the man enjoy his time off.

​Yeah, it's funny considering he likely payed for the hotel a while back. He's only getting his Patreon money this week so it wasn't used for that hotel. Nothing Phil has spent so far is extravagant compared to here in LA. I've rarely spent less than $30 on a pizza.

• Upvote 1

​Yeah, it's funny considering he likely payed for the hotel a while back. He's only getting his Patreon money this week so it wasn't used for that hotel. Nothing Phil has spent so far is extravagant compared to here in LA. I've rarely spent less than $30 on a pizza.

How much doesn't really matter, it's greater than zero.

Asking fans to donate their hard earned money to alleviate debt and then publicly spending ANY unnecessary money are so *fundamentally opposite* that it blows my mind when you or Phil think people are rude for asking questions.

• Upvote 7

Asking fans to donate their hard earned money to alleviate debt and then publicly spending ANY unnecessary money are so *fundamentally opposite* that it blows my mind when you or Phil think people are rude for asking questions.

​Becoming a patreon is optional, and he hasn't even setup the account yet seeing how he's still discussing goals on his patreon topic. I've donated to show support for all the free videos he's given, I wasn't forced to donate. He also stated on twitter that people should withdraw their patreon donations if they think that.

http://i.imgur.com/L7I8RRb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The bigger problem here is Phils PR skills, if he had just responded calmly and explained himself he would have been fine. Instead he had to blow it up and have a negative attitude about it which led to this much backlash. 

​Agreed, I don't know why Phil does that to himself. 

​I don't necessarily disagree but I can see why people get annoyed whenever he brings up the Patreon stuff on twitter and especially during his prestreams. People don't tune in or want to see that and that could stem from his spending on his free time. 

It also indirectly effects his "Give Aways" to fans with such things like offering to give up video game cases but without the disc, where people find that either ludicrous or insulting. That disc went to Gamestop to help take care of purchasing future titles where he can enjoy and make money off of with his LP's. This all may not happen without such spending.

The biggest thing that confuses me is staying at a hotel that's 20 minutes from where you live when you're in debt and need Patreon to supplement lost income. The anniversary and taking time off stuff make sense to me but you can literally just take the Orca train for $5 dollars a day, not have a car to worry about/pay for parking, and it takes you downtown in about 25-30 minutes from where he lives. 

But no in some bizarre world it makes more sense to spend a few hundred dollars to have a hotel in the city and I'm a "immature idiot" for thinking that way apparently lol. I'd imagine he knows about the Orca train since they have a huge hub at Sea/Tac Airport unless he paid $60 dollars for a cab from the airport :/ 

• Upvote 4

The biggest thing that confuses me is staying at a hotel that's 20 minutes from where you live when you're in debt and need Patreon to supplement lost income. The anniversary and taking time off stuff make sense to me but you can literally just take the Orca train for $5 dollars a day, not have a car to worry about/pay for parking, and it takes you downtown in about 25-30 minutes from where he lives. 

But no in some bizarre world it makes more sense to spend a few hundred dollars to have a hotel in the city and I'm a "immature idiot" for thinking that way apparently lol. I'd imagine he knows about the Orca train since they have a huge hub at Sea/Tac Airport unless he paid $60 dollars for a cab from the airport :/ 

If you went to college and just recent graduated you will be on debt! What if the graduated wanted to go to Las Vegas? Will you stop him or just let it go? 

• Upvote 1

​No one is saying he has no money to spend, people are just tired of him complaining about views and asking people to check out his Patreon when he does things like spend $3,000 on a lemon, buy tons of fast food, and spend $400 to go to a hotel that is only 40 MINUTES away from his house. That's the incorrect definition of a staycation, by the way. A staycation is when you take a vacation in YOUR own home.

He has had many days off and he could have more if he would stop being stubborn and change his schedule around. Seriously this is supposed to be HIS business but yet he makes a ridiculous schedule of working every damn day but then complains about stress? Oh and I don't consider this to be a day off as he is still making vlogs which he also gets paid for as they are monetized.

​No one is saying he has no money to spend, people are just tired of him complaining about views and asking people to check out his Patreon when he does things like spend $3,000 on a lemon, buy tons of fast food, and spend $400 to go to a hotel that is only 40 MINUTES away from his house. That's the incorrect definition of a staycation, by the way. A staycation is when you take a vacation in YOUR own home.

He has had many days off and he could have more if he would stop being stubborn and change his schedule around. Seriously this is supposed to be HIS business but yet he makes a ridiculous schedule of working every damn day but then complains about stress? Oh and I don't consider this to be a day off as he is still making vlogs which he also gets paid for as they are monetized.

​the definition of staycation is 

A vacation spent close to home.
  • Upvote 1

If you went to college and just recent graduated you will be on debt! What if the graduated wanted to go to Las Vegas? Will you stop him or just let it go? 

​Most recent graduates aren't massively in debt, believe it or not.  That's the minority.  

But to answer your question, if the recent grad was ALSO begging for money online while being in massive debt, then yes, I would tell him blowing money on a trip to Vegas would be a bad idea.  

​I lived in LA County for 5 years and ate pizza quite regularly at a variety of restaurants.  I've never, ever spent $30 on a pizza.  Can you please inform me what specific places charged that amount for a single pizza?  

​Most recent graduates aren't massively in debt, believe it or not.  That's the minority.  

But to answer your question, if the recent grad was ALSO begging for money online while being in massive debt, then yes, I would tell him blowing money on a trip to Vegas would be a bad idea.  

​I lived in LA County for 5 years and ate pizza quite regularly at a variety of restaurants.  I've never, ever spent $30 on a pizza.  Can you please inform me what specific places charged that amount for a single pizza?  

​The only Pizza I can think of that cost me 30$ is Jimmy O's pizza...  and that's for a large if I recall correctly.  Its good, but definitely not worth the 30$.

So yeah, Phil probably over payed for his pizza.  And same with KG too I guess.

​The only Pizza I can think of that cost me 30$ is Jimmy O's pizza...  and that's for a large if I recall correctly.  Its good, but definitely not worth the 30$.

So yeah, Phil probably over payed for his pizza.  And same with KG too I guess.

​Overpayed is right. Never have i considered a 30 dollar pizza. Hell... if I wanted to spend that much, I would have done the count after the video.

• Upvote 1

To me, the whole stay-cation turns out to be disastrous PR for Phil. As I am about the same age as Phil, I understand the importance of taking a day or two off from work, but I also know the value of money and what saving that money means. So, as I hope it will not happen in this thread if Phil is going to answer here his argument of saying people do not know what they are talking about does not apply to me.

As I said, three days off is okay to me, it's fine. But what Phil shows the fans and patrons is not everything he thinks it is. Spending the time in Seattle when it's so close is also reasonable. However, Phil could have prevented a lot of discussion and backlash if he did not vlog everything he does down there, making it worse because he has a patreon site with people already donating but not getting any perks back so far. It doesn't matter he plans to do that, right now about 150 dollars got into his pocket without giving something in return, as Patreon is supposed to be.

See, on another occasion, the WWE supercard situation, he said it is none of our business. Well, that's his hobby. But his free days at Seattle? He is vlogging everything and that leads to more discussion. I also wonder why he does that at all? How much money would he lose if he'd not vlog that? A one-minute video about them having coffee and donuts? Them eating a pizza which should be the best thing he has ever eaten for that price? If he doesn't want people to talk about it then he should not have made those videos and put them on youtube in first place. I thought they went there to relax and not to continue making videos, just for a few days.

It looks awful to see Phil and Leanna spending a good amount of money within three days, more than other people can spend for trips in a year, and then having a patreon site where he asks for money because he is in debt. I understand that having mortgages does not mean you have to stop having any fun at all, but at least you should cut back your expenses for luxuries. At least show donators that paying off the debt which bothers you the most is the important thing.

The bad PR continues, as we have seen lately that Phil went on a rant about the whole situation on twitter. While I do say that what happens on twitter stays on twitter, I guess it would be not helpful for your patreon site when you tweet this:

"legit Patreons arent complaning. Adults understand the need for inexpensive time off once a year. Not this guy tho, lol"

"anyone who's complaining in comments is incredibly immature and deserve that response. That's real talk, people need to grow up"

"I'll also ask you ignore the morons who stupidly comment how spending ANY money when having a Patreon is wrong. They aren't Patreons anyway"

--DSP on twitter

Save you the few extra bucks from those vlog videos and the stress to make them and reading those comments. Phil could have had a nice, relaxing time. Does that tweet he does sound like he is relaxing and having a good time?

I am aware that Phil is going to answer in this thread as soon as he is back from staycation, but I really wish he will be in a better mood than he was on twitter last night.

• Upvote 4

To me, the whole stay-cation turns out to be disastrous PR for Phil. As I am about the same age as Phil, I understand the importance of taking a day or two off from work, but I also know the value of money and what saving that money means. So, as I hope it will not happen in this thread if Phil is going to answer here his argument of saying people do not know what they are talking about does not apply to me.

As I said, three days off is okay to me, it's fine. But what Phil shows the fans and patrons is not everything he thinks it is. Spending the time in Seattle when it's so close is also reasonable. However, Phil could have prevented a lot of discussion and backlash if he did not vlog everything he does down there, making it worse because he has a patreon site with people already donating but not getting any perks back so far. It doesn't matter he plans to do that, right now about 150 dollars got into his pocket without giving something in return, as Patreon is supposed to be.

See, on another occasion, the WWE supercard situation, he said it is none of our business. Well, that's his hobby. But his free days at Seattle? He is vlogging everything and that leads to more discussion. I also wonder why he does that at all? How much money would he lose if he'd not vlog that? A one-minute video about them having coffee and donuts? Them eating a pizza which should be the best thing he has ever eaten for that price? If he doesn't want people to talk about it then he should not have made those videos and put them on youtube in first place. I thought they went there to relax and not to continue making videos, just for a few days.

It looks awful to see Phil and Leanna spending a good amount of money within three days, more than other people can spend for trips in a year, and then having a patreon site where he asks for money because he is in debt. I understand that having mortgages does not mean you have to stop having any fun at all, but at least you should cut back your expenses for luxuries. At least show donators that paying off the debt which bothers you the most is the important thing.

The bad PR continues, as we have seen lately that Phil went on a rant about the whole situation on twitter. While I do say that what happens on twitter stays on twitter, I guess it would be not helpful for your patreon site when you tweet this:

Save you the few extra bucks from those vlog videos and the stress to make them and reading those comments. Phil could have had a nice, relaxing time. Does that tweet he does sound like he is relaxing and having a good time?

I am aware that Phil is going to answer in this thread as soon as he is back from staycation, but I really wish he will be in a better mood than he was on twitter last night.

There should be a fine line between your work and private life. Obviously if you don't want people to talk about his expenses then don't vlog it. Simple as that, instead Phil went on the defensive and is only stressing himself out now.

He could have avoided this whole mess if he had not vlogged anything and just spent that time relaxing.

Remember this is Phil we are talking about here. He spends more time giving attention to his haters instead of his fans. And it's not like his fans are above being called "fucking idiots" from time to time. Which, let's be honest, some of his fans are a bunch of idiots admittedly enough.

• Upvote 3

He needs more money/patreon support so he can edit.

But giving out money for luxury goods such as hotel and what not is an exception.

So we should support him for patreon, because he would loose gaming video recording time, if he would edit.

I ain't no saint, but I don't spend money on other things, when I say at the same time that I need patreon support for editing.

B9Kbq17IgAEkP9V.jpg

Remember this is Phil we are talking about here. He spends more time giving attention to his haters instead of his fans. And it's not like his fans are above being called "fucking idiots" from time to time. Which, let's be honest, some of his fans are a bunch of idiots admittedly enough.

​I have to agree but I have to say that it's not that they're idiots, they're just extremely close minded to any opinion that is pro-Phil. Some are open to it, but a lot of them are just in denial about Phil and some just don't care.

​I have to agree but I have to say that it's not that they're idiots, they're just extremely close minded to any opinion that is pro-Phil. Some are open to it, but a lot of them are just in denial about Phil and some just don't care.

​I agree with you. The close-mindedness and blind support of Phil is just as detrimental to him as the 'hater' videos he's constantly complaining about. Saying it's not a problem if he drops $500 on a vacation while saying how much debt he is in the same sentence is just re-enforcing bad habits and bad life decisions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Phil locked this topic