The King of Hate Forums

The "Staycation" discussion

phil no offence but i have a great deal of difficulty imagining someone in "huge debt" as you have said for yourself, doing the following (among other things)

1. not selling the statues, or planning on selling them in such a slow pace that its almost like you are not in "huge debt". if i was in "huge debt", those statues would be long gone. you go about it so leiserly like you are in no "huge debt"

2. not implementing the green screen months ago. if i was in "huge debt" i would learn about it asap, use it offering the viewers at no extra cost (certainly not patreon funded action) a novelty that might get me more views and help with the "huge debt" situation. i wouldnt wait for months only to ask for "patreon funding" on implementing it.

3. going on vacation. if i was in "huge debt" i certainly wouldnt be spending money on hotels, especially when 20-30 minutes away from my destination. i understand that your girlfriend is pressuring you  into doing something special, i understand this is mostly for her, to calm her down a bit but still...

if you are doing all of the above (and more) how "huge" can this debt be?

from the above i must assume the "huge debt" is not that "huge".

it cant be. no sane, mature individual would throw away money like this when in "huge debt".

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The simple act of taking a break isn't an issue. As is usual with Phil, the way he went about it, his lack of self-awareness about how people would react to it, and his bad attitude are the problem.

The bigger problem here is Phils PR skills, if he had just responded calmly and explained himself he would have been fine. Instead he had to blow it up and have a negative attitude about it which led

​$300 for 2 days isn't "inexpensive" at all. After the 3 days are done he will have spent close to or over $1,000. The main problem I have is how vocal he's been about being in debt, not making enoug

Posted Images

Maybe his credit cards gave him free money to pay for the trip he has credit cards that pay him a portion of the money he charges on his card.

Either 5% cash back or miles you can use to reduce the cost of staying in hotels.

Right now you can't use the Patreon donations because he told people to withdraw their donations. He wasn't going to give perks to donators this month because Patreon gave him the account before he was ready. I agree that he did get angry because people were telling him he had no right to spend his money the way he wants I have the same problem with my parents.

he can take a vacation, I don't care what I and many others have a problem with is him saying he doesn't have a lot of money and turning around spending all this money on hotels and events etc. so I'm thinking: do you have a money issue or not? because it seems like you don't

• Upvote 3

Everyone's entitled to a vacation.  That's not the point, so let's not make it about what it isn't.  It's about sending mixed messages.  A plea to your followers to help finance your continued career on youtube, explaining that you are broke (assuming this isn't hyperbole), and then ostentatiously displaying a luxury expense you just made, is contradictory.  If Phil could calmly explain why there is no contradiction and the reasoning behind the expanation is sound, I'm sure he could lay this issue to rest.  Instead he posts inflammatory rhetoric on twitter and claims to be enjoying the show--with the way he's handling things, people will be mentioning it years down the line.

Balls in your court, Phil.  You could defuse this situation right now if you play your cards right.  I have no beef about it personally, but I can see why people are up in arms.

• Upvote 2

He can and should take time off; doing the same crappy thing every day of the week for months on end makes you miserable.  The problem is he isn't letting off what he does for making money while on vaycay and that's why people are seeing it as his "business".  The VLogs, tweets and general advertising of his personal business is really saying "I want you to follow my personal life and know what I'm doing."  This is why people are criticizing him for talking about his personal finances (he does on pre-streams), along with the whole Patreon affair is really rubbing people the wrong way.  If people are giving you views, and views give you money then you don't bite the hand that feeds you by being antagonistic about valid concerns.

The other issue with the vlogs for his staycation is that he's recording everything and sharing it on one of his channels that generates views/revenue.  Videos = views = money; so it's now not him on vacation, but another activity to garner money and hence the vocal uproar.

The guy should take time off; no doubt about it.  Hell, he should take more time off, like once a week or something and do something outside of games.

The trip is fine, just the PR around the trip is horrific. First off, calling it a "Staycation" is wrong. A staycation means saving money by sleeping in your own bed. If you stay at a hotel, what's the real difference between driving half an hour to Seattle vs driving 8 hours to San Fransisco? $50 in gas? Also it's insulting to everybody who donates to call this trip "inexpensive" when it's costing about $1000. 

Yeah the vacation is fine, I mean being in debt is not a good thing, but one doesn't have to pay it almost immediately (unless is really serious). As long as Phil is paying small portions of debt here and there and has money to actually go out for a vacation, all is fine in the world.

When you are truly in debt, any unnecessary expense is indulgent.

People are bound to start questioning the necessity for a Patreon for someone who decides that booking a hotel 20 minutes from home is an acceptable expense, Anniversary, Valentines Day or not.

Logically, someone truly in debt would take a break at home & celebrate there.

For those saying the money was not from his Patreon - it doesn't matter. If he has spare money (enough for this staycation for example), could he not have had three days off (knowing that money is available and so he doesn't need to stream for a day or two), celebrated his Anniversary for two days, and put his green screen up on the third? This way, he & Leanna get their break, plus he has done something to improve his business without resorting to a Patreon goal.

This is how businesses & budgeting work - not by blowing money on indulgences & getting others to pick up the slack through Patreon.

• Upvote 1

People who donated in January to my Patreon were told, in advance, that no perks would be given as they weren't set up yet, and they shouldn't expect anything out of it at all besides as a method to support me. By the end of February, goals and perks WILL be set up before the people who pledge get charged, so those people could possibly have a legit gripe if, say, I didn't come through on those goals/perks. And that's it.

Nobody, NOBODY has a legit claim to anything I do with my money, or how I spend my time. Nowhere in Patreon rules does it state "because you've donated, the receiver will now never spend money on anything, at all, because obviously they needed your money desperately to pay bills." Nor have I said I'm in awful financial straights and I desperately need tons of money to pay bills. The people saying that are those who skew my words into something that they aren't, in order to make me look bad. Goals such as "once I make $500 a month I'll buy a camera" were never set up and specifics on how donations are to be spent are not promised. So literally nobody has a legit right to complain about anything.

What I did say: since mid-2014 when I moved, there's been a legit view decline on DSPGaming and it couldn't be worse timing, because I have tons of bills built up from the move. In order to continue doing what I'm doing, I'm going to be taking several steps (including selling my statue collection) and setting up a Patreon to take care of that debt. If things go well, within 1-2 years that debt should be paid off (And hopefully I can finally sell the old condo in CT which is also a burden) and then I'll be perfectly fine.  Last time I checked, that didn't equate to me being financially destitute, nor did I ever say I was.

For YEARS people have asked me if they could donate, and I always said no. Now, since I'm at a point where popularity has declined and my debts have increased, I am accepting donations through Patreon so that I can somehow "give back" for those donations, in a way. In the future, if my popularity were to increase again OR if my debts were to be paid down, I'll probably stop accepting Patreon donations. And that will be my choice.

In summary:

-Nobody who's become a Patreon to this point should feel disappointed as no promises have yet been made, and the situation around January was clearly explained ahead of time
-Future donators moving forward will receive perks/contribute towards goals and therefore will be getting what they're promised for their Patreon contributions
-Nobody has a right to tell me what to do with my money, regardless if you've donated or not
-The vast majority of people complaining are detractors/critics who 1. spread misinformation about me BEGGING for money because I'm destitute (which didn't happen) and 2. weren't going to ever donate anyway. They literally hover around me like buzzards looking for something new to peck at, instead of spending time on their own lives. They're the lowest common denominator of "internet drama queens" and only do it because it gives them attention. They need to be ignored or derided, not paid any attention to.

And that's all. We're back, we had fun with our mini dual celebration of our 3rd anniversary-early Valentine's Day and we have no real plans for any time off again until November (not sure on that yet), when we'll be flying to the East Coast for Leanna's brother's wedding at some point.

Thanks to those who enjoyed the vlogs and tweets during our time away. And to anyone who was negative, bug off.

• Upvote 3
  • Phil locked this topic