The King of Hate Forums

How to become a better Public Figure...

1. Listen to your fans -

Now if you want your fans to keep supporting you, you gotta listen to your fans what they want.  For instance, put some time and effort to your editing skills and be more interactive to them which will lead to...

2. Fan interaction -

Talk to your fans like they are your friends. If you have a rough day, try not to snap on them, but if you do, man up and apologize for your screw-ups and never do them again.

3. Never treat your community like robots -

I remember there's a moderator who mostly cares for the fans, but some reason he was de-modded.  Now do you think we need moderators who only think about only you?  I don't think so.  Because the forum will be a dull and boring place.  

Anyways, that's all i have for now, it you guys have any idea what to do?  Feel free to respond.

• Upvote 11

From the closed thread

"[Haters] need to be ignored or derided, not paid any attention to."

No, they should just be ignored.  You make your living off ofbeing an internet personality, so everything you post on the internet has a direct effect on your bottom line.  They should just be ignored.  For every one person you rebuke for calling you a racist, two people learn that they can push your buttons by calling you a racist.

You do not have to respond to every sleight - at least 99% of all insults will be dead and forgotten in the blink of an eye if you ignore them.

Let me tell you a story about a public figure who was recently i nthe news.  President of Zimbabwe Robert Mugabe, tripped over a stair, and a photographer snapped a picture.  He looked kind of silly in that photo, but who cares about that, right?  Mugabe cared very much, he was so sensitive about the possibility that someone might laugh at his expense, that he launched a task force to make that photo completely disappear from existence.  Suddenly, the photo was spreading around like wildfire, until it became one of the most trending internet memes

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/6/7991949/mugabe-fall-photo​

If Robert Mugabe had just let it go, then this would just be an instance of an 80-year-old man in Africa slightly losing his balance.  Instead he's the laughingstock for people on the other side of the world.

• Upvote 1

So, Mike, you definitely bring up a lot of good points. I remember how he referred to "haters" that watched his videos as "Worthless humans". People remember stuff like that when you're necessarily negative and it creates a lasting impression for the future. A lot of the image I see is a pseud-businessman who believes that everything can be quantified as a number. It just seems so.... soulless. And the image created on these forums hasn't helped either.

phil is not a "public figure"

you can call him a "minor youtube celebrity" though, thats accurate, or even "hatelebrity" that could apply too.

but not "public figure", thats totally erroneous

He is a public figure, he has got a whole damn group against his practices in gaming commentary (KWO / SOK). That critiques do get together and form a group is insane and unbelievable enough. He is public and public does not mean famous.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to second the idea on fan interaction.  I don't stream very often, but when I do, I make it an important point to pay attention to what people are saying in the stream chat, and respond to some funny sentiments, ideas, or questions people have.  I do get a lot of very positive feedback for this approach myself.  I know Phil takes a peek over at the stream chat often, and a lot of people think he's openly looking for hand holding.  Perhaps this has become a concern that Phil wants to dispel, and refuses to often speak back to the stream chat in fear of people thinking he's trying to receive said hand holding.

Maybe you should give it a try, Phil.  Ignore that worry for now and just have pleasant conversations with people in the stream chat from time to time and see if it works out.  I think the only time you've ever actually conversed with the stream chat was to defend yourself from negative opinion.  Try conversing positively with the stream chat and perhaps it might help lighten your mood in moments of frustrations with the game.

• Upvote 8

1. Listen to your fans -

Now if you want your fans to keep supporting you, you gotta listen to your fans what they want.  For instance, put some time and effort to your editing skills and be more interactive to them which will lead to...

2. Fan interaction -

Talk to your fans like they are your friends. If you have a rough day, try not to snap on them, but if you do, man up and apologize for your screw-ups and never do them again.

3. Never treat your community like robots -

I remember there's a moderator who mostly cares for the fans, but some reason he was de-modded.  Now do you think we need moderators who only think about only you?  I don't think so.  Because the forum will be a dull and boring place.  

Anyways, that's all i have for now, it you guys have any idea what to do?  Feel free to respond.

​It's one of the weaker points of phil, he doesn't listen even on the forums (look at the patreon for example)

He snaps at fans, possible fans, even people that don't even like him and that comes off the wrong way when you should be PR'ing to death to make sure you are getting everyone to view your content. If you are calling people idiots, morons, etc that comes off as an attitude problem. He needs to correct it.

Phil's fan interaction is barely anything, from what i've seen it's mainly getting hand held in mostly every video game through stream chat. If he doesn't get it he whines and if he gets bad info he bitches about it.

"Never treat your community like robots"

He's been doing this for years and more so now by demands, demands, demands, he expects everyone to do everything for him that's not playing the game (if he could do that then i bet he'd jump on it). He wants people to "spread the word", give him fanart, etc and barely gives a thanks afterwards. He just doesn't do anything himself.

To me, public relations is talking WITH fans, not talking TO THEM alone. I know Phil tweets a lot, but there isn't much fan interaction going on, even the strawpolls have a taint since in the past Phil overruled the result and played what he wanted (if I remember that correctly). I still wish he would post more in the forum aside from the usual long textwall with final words, threatening with moderation and closing the thread. Aside from the one thread where he was asked what he thinks about homosexuality, there was next to no thread he posted which was not related to his business model or his critics somehow.

I mean, he sure mentions a lot that he watches movies. Why not making a post about that here? Just an example, Phil. Threads/posts like that may help break some ice or distance between you and your fans. It doesn't  have to be private stuff (as you call it it's none of our business), but some commonplaces like talking about Star Wars for example or various TV shows / music groups.

• Upvote 1

This is a plea to Darksydephil, Philip Burnell

While reading your twitter I noticed a man contacted you to acquire a signed T-Shirt for his son and you replied to email him to talk details.

Unless you already have done this I ask you to forget about making money as this child has Cerebral Palsy and recently had an operation cancelled.  If you were thinking of selling it please don't, it would be good for all concerned if this was given away with postage paid for as a good will gesture.

Please ignore this if you are doing this already.

• Upvote 6

I think Phil still doesn't understand the importance of a community. He doesn't get why Twitch was so important to people. In pre stream today he even says, "There are no more trolls in stream chat". Ugh. It's because you banned them all. A community is very important to a person. Not all members of the community are going to be PC and listen to mods all the time. IDK he just...doesn't get it. I wish he would. How does he not he see this? PEople loved showing up to twitch, chatting, watching the videos. IDK