The King of Hate Forums

DarkSydePhil needs a Vision

Phil needs a clear, well-defined vision statement and mission statement that both he and the fans can abide by.  Why does DSPGaming & TheKingofHateVlogs exist?  What are they trying to accomplish? What are your goals? (This can apply to Patreon as well.)  We all need to know what Phil is capable of providing, and reassurance that the focus of all of this is on the customer (fans, haters, anyone who knows who DarkSydePhil is).  This needs to be for the long-term, not on a day-to-day or monthly basis.  We're talking big picture here, folks.  Phil needs to be the leader of his own market, and I'm afraid that the customer base is losing faith in this figurehead.  Turning things around is going to require a damn good strategy.  How will your resources be allocated?  Are we to the point where we are uploading 10-15 minute parts, then the entire stream a week later, then a montage for the game, and then a montage for the entire month?  This is not a plan.  This is called throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks.  In turn, this is depleting your largest resources: time and patience.  What segment of the market are you trying to pursue?  

You have to challenge yourself and strive to satisfy the customer. The funniest moments montage of 2014 had a glaring typo that was never resolved.  If I was putting out that product, I would be embarrassed and wouldn't have even hesitated in fixing the problem.  Immediately.  This shows that priorities are too low.  Raise the bar in quality management, and don't be afraid to be intimate with your customers. (TIP: Spewing vile on Twitter isn't intimate.  I don't care who you're replying to, it looks awful.)   Yes, even "those" people are customers.  You know, the morons, idiots, stalkers, mentally ill people?  I'm sure you've heard of 'em.  You may consider your videos "goods", but you are more of a service than anything else.  No customer, no service.  

You've already made the decision to relocate your business, and now you are operating in your current capacity.  Your workforce is a minuscule one-man army.  This has been parroted time and time again.  This results in what appears to be an unstable infrastructure.  Just look at all the wires in the office and stream start times, just as a couple of examples.  

In my opinion, you are trying to integrate innovation and customer perspective, but it is not looking well.  The thought of even considering setting up the green screen as a potential goal/perk on Patreon is depressing.  All of which is an attempt to get a grasp financially.  You mention views increased based on the percentages, but in reality is this translating to greater profit generation?

One thing you excel at is your delivery speed.  While your uploading routine may be criticized, it is fast and effective.  You go on vacation (I refuse to call it that other vacuous phrase), and still upload videos.  Good for you on that one; the daily content is reassuring.  

I am sure you already know all this, as it is just common sense.  To which I say, why does it appear that you don't? Give us a vision statement for us to rally around. 

Let's be #DSPositive ...or whatever. 

Too busy right now to give a full response but I'll give a few quick ones:

-100% agree that having a "vision" a.k.a. branding/gimmick could be a huge help. I USED to be known as "the average gamer that played every new game on release day and beat it faster than everyone else." Now that YouTube has changed, many bigger Let's Players are getting new games WEEKS before release and putting out their playthroughs before me, so it's no longer a valid way to describe my work. Another one used to be "the former pro SF player who rages at everyone" but let's face it, I don't play fighting games anywhere near as much as I used to, so that's not valid either. But maybe what you suggest - the fact that I upload new content ALMOST every single day (unless I'm sick or scheduled time off for Christmas etc.) - is a good selling point.

-"Throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks" is exactly what needs to be done right now, and is being done DIRECTLY in response to viewer request. 2014 showed me, through view performance, that JUST doing Let's Plays/Playthroughs in my classic style isn't going to cut it anymore. People want more variety - longer parts, montages that cut out filler/highlight best/worst parts of a game, and even everything I do. If I don't directly listen, try new things and see how they do, I'll never survive nor improve. I agree that doing EVERYTHING people request won't work, but right now I do need to try as much differentiation as possible to see what catches on.

-Most people who've watched my stuff for a while know that views = profit for me. Not engagement, not ad revenue, but just based on views alone. So for example, comparing the months of December (where I did pure Let's Play content and had a few days off to spend with my family for Christmas) vs. January (where I literally did half as much Let's Play content but focused on highly edited year-end series daily) I saw a 15% increase in overall views. Now it could have just been that the stuff I played in January was more popular (Kingdom Hearts 2 vs. the ongoing playthroughs of longer games in December) but I have to believe that the edited content had something big to do with that too.

Mission statements/visions are a huge part of a successful business and I agree that I need to rebrand/redefine who I am as a gamer in order for this to keep working. I'll think about it.

• Upvote 5

-Most people who've watched my stuff for a while know that views = profit for me. Not engagement, not ad revenue, but just based on views alone. So for example, comparing the months of December (where I did pure Let's Play content and had a few days off to spend with my family for Christmas) vs. January (where I literally did half as much Let's Play content but focused on highly edited year-end series daily) I saw a 15% increase in overall views. Now it could have just been that the stuff I played in January was more popular (Kingdom Hearts 2 vs. the ongoing playthroughs of longer games in December) but I have to believe that the edited content had something big to do with that too.

​It really should be more about the viewERs a.k.a fans, or any1 that watches your videos, not just focusing ways to get the most views... Like more chat interactivity/engagement , not jus using them for tips but acting talking with them on your playthroughs and also you have green screen now too, once its set up, on top of using it for montages/podcasts/P7, why not now start putting face-cam on bottom left/right of your videos, that'd def help your image and stand out 

Also on getting a new "vision" you need to work on fixing your image, which means treating all your viewers, even those you call "haters" and listen and be open to constructive criticism and basically want to become a better Lper/Streamer. I mean SOK asked to talk things out either on your podcast or theirs, that'd show your sincerity in trying to be positive and improve yourself, and thatd give a new image for you that viewers would see

​It really should be more about the viewERs a.k.a fans, or any1 that watches your videos, not just focusing ways to get the most views... Like more chat interactivity/engagement , not jus using them for tips but acting talking with them on your playthroughs and also you have green screen now too, once its set up, on top of using it for montages/podcasts/P7, why not now start putting face-cam on bottom left/right of your videos, that'd def help your image and stand out 

Also on getting a new "vision" you need to work on fixing your image, which means treating all your viewers, even those you call "haters" and listen and be open to constructive criticism and basically want to become a better Lper/Streamer. I mean SOK asked to talk things out either on your podcast or theirs, that'd show your sincerity in trying to be positive and improve yourself, and thatd give a new image for you that viewers would see

​I have to agree on this one. Look i'm not going to sit here and say you should go so far as to reach out to or talk to the SoK but I think if you had more fan interaction whether it be in stream chat and/or whatever other methods you might consider. And on another note maybe Phil needs to consider the possibility why Phil is getting the backlash over the Patreon thing isnt cause of the lack of goals/perks as of yet because hes been very clear and concise that to expect it right now is not realistic it will happen when the time comes. What I think the larger issue for a lot of people is that it just seems like an act of desperation more than what one might call "fanservice". I understand it's a mutually beneficial arrangement but to have things like more interaction with fans and such as perks/goals is ridiculous those are things that shouldnt be behind a paywall if you will, This is all just my personal opinion however i think its viewed more as a desperation move by phil than anything else and the only person who can change that perception is phil himself. What is the best way for Phil to help his situation? Show that the fans the people who got you where you are to begin with matter. It's easy for the perception to be had that we're just a paycheck to him and nothing more. Which is where i think a lot of the hate comes from. 

If using Patreon perks as a method of fundraising is "desperation" then DAMN, there are a LOT of desperate YouTubers because it's becoming MORE common for popular ones to have a successful Patreon account as a funding method than not. But they don't get shit on for it, I do. I again reiterate: was asked since 2011 why I don't accept donations, even had people ON THESE FORUMs for the past 3+ years tell me to start accepting them; now I could use the help, I do, and I get branded as "Desperate" "greedy" and the like. Repeating this kind of nonsense doesn't help, at all, and I don't get how people get hung up on it. SIX YEARS of free content, I open up donations per repeated requests, now I'm the villain? HUH?!

Chat interactivity/engagement during a playthrough RUINS the playthrough. I don't care if people on Twitch do it successfully, I've gotten tons of complaints about interacting with the chat TOO MUCH as it is now. I'm not going to further ruin the integrity of the playthrough, which thousands are watching on YouTube, because there are 60 people in stream chat. This is what people don't seem to understand: I'm a gamer FIRST, and always have been. Asking for constant interruptions in my gameplay to thank donators, interact with people in the chat etc. benefits an incredibly small group of people and makes thousands of others watching later feel disconnected. If I were still on Twitch and getting more "subs" were my business model then that would make sense, but that's not the case and it's a major reason why I left TWitch to begin with.

Most of the "SOK" have proven on these forums to not have any genuine interest in helping me or anyone, but just the opposite. It's why they're mostly banned and more are getting themselves banned through misbehavior daily. No further mention of them need be made in this thread as it'd be considered derailing.

That being said - the previous 2 posts really didn't help at all with the original poster's idea. Please stay on topic.

That being said - the previous 2 posts really didn't help at all with the original poster's idea. Please stay on topic.

​Honestly, I thought those two posts raised some pretty good points; kind of sad to see them gone. Also, as far as visions and goals, what do you plan to do financially post YouTube anyway?

If using Patreon perks as a method of fundraising is "desperation" then DAMN, there are a LOT of desperate YouTubers because it's becoming MORE common for popular ones to have a successful Patreon account as a funding method than not. But they don't get shit on for it, I do. I again reiterate: was asked since 2011 why I don't accept donations, even had people ON THESE FORUMs for the past 3+ years tell me to start accepting them; now I could use the help, I do, and I get branded as "Desperate" "greedy" and the like. Repeating this kind of nonsense doesn't help, at all, and I don't get how people get hung up on it. SIX YEARS of free content, I open up donations per repeated requests, now I'm the villain? HUH?!

Chat interactivity/engagement during a playthrough RUINS the playthrough. I don't care if people on Twitch do it successfully, I've gotten tons of complaints about interacting with the chat TOO MUCH as it is now. I'm not going to further ruin the integrity of the playthrough, which thousands are watching on YouTube, because there are 60 people in stream chat. This is what people don't seem to understand: I'm a gamer FIRST, and always have been. Asking for constant interruptions in my gameplay to thank donators, interact with people in the chat etc. benefits an incredibly small group of people and makes thousands of others watching later feel disconnected. If I were still on Twitch and getting more "subs" were my business model then that would make sense, but that's not the case and it's a major reason why I left TWitch to begin with.

Most of the "SOK" have proven on these forums to not have any genuine interest in helping me or anyone, but just the opposite. It's why they're mostly banned and more are getting themselves banned through misbehavior daily. No further mention of them need be made in this thread as it'd be considered derailing.

​The reason why you are being called desperate is because you are using it as a ways to help the huge decline in views, the other YouTubers, or at least some of them, are not using it for that purpose.

You say fundraising but what are you raising these funds for? Is it for a charity, for a dying relative, what is it being used for?

No you have gotten complaints about constantly looking at the stream chat for help instead of just playing the game. I told you I use to be a fan and not once did I see you whether it be on Twitch or here, interact with the fans in fact the only time there was interaction was when John Rambo was over and he would use your account to interact with the people. When people say interact they mean to actually talk to them or shout them out or anything that shows that you care about what your fans want instead of your own wants.

This right here is a lie and it is downright throwing the SOK under the bus because they're not here to defend themselves. Well I might not be in the SOK but I will defend them as they have shown to be far more trustworthy than you. They tried many times to help you out with many suggestions hell, Loophole who trolled you twice even offered to give you the Patreon account but you instead slapped his hand away and said no deal. Actually it was more of along the lines of "I will never listen to the SOK as long as you are in there" which even I will admit what he did was not making himself look better than you, it should not be something that you hold a grudge over as it is no big deal since Patreon got the account back for you. Now you can claim that I am trying to derail all you want but you mentioned it so I will be the defender.

If you wish for people to stay on topic then remain civilized and show that you will also stay on topic.

• Upvote 5

If using Patreon perks as a method of fundraising is "desperation" then DAMN

​The difference is that most people use it to expand, you're using it just to maintain.  There's no perks being used, no goals being offered, and the only chance of getting any is if your fans suggest something that meets your approval.  Based on your wording of "once established," would an outsider really know that they shouldn't actually expect to get anything this month, not even a "thank you?"  Thanking them once a month would satisfy the perk, is that too "constant?"  Couldn't the people who feel disconnected get connected by giving you a dollar?  What's the harm in taking a moment to fire off their names in pre-stream, in a moment where you're grinding, or when viewing a cutscene you've already seen before?

• Upvote 1

I'd like to clarify that this thread was intended to discuss vision & mission statements, and not about fan interactivity, patreon perks and views.  Although I did cite a handful of these issues, they are the by-products of what I'm trying to address.  While I agree some of these issues should definitely be fleshed out, please let it not be here.  There are an over abundance of threads dedicated to these topics, or at least there used to be. I can't keep track anymore.

Mission statements/visions are a huge part of a successful business and I agree that I need to rebrand/redefine who I am as a gamer in order for this to keep working. I'll think about it.​

​I am happy that you at least see where I'm coming from, as I intended no malice.  Was wondering if anyone else agreed/disagreed or had an idea.  

He needs to evolve, but only into a better version of himself, not something totally different.

I do wonder if the choice to quickly play every new release sets him apart, or holds him back.  Both, perhaps?

I think it would help to have a channel separation between raw, unedited stuff, and the edited montages he's doing, as it still doesn't address the "not filling my mailbox" issue.  I wonder for instance if his January "best of dsp gaming" montage would have had a lot more views if it weren't lost among all the other videos.

In any case, changes directed toward making his content more efficient to watch, easier to narrow in on the things a particular viewer would find interesting, could go a long way.

There are currently 4 different ways to watch the exact same playthrough of Dying Light on Phil's channel: the livestream as it happened, the livestream archive going up a week later for no real reason, the regular videos, and the best/worst montage. It's giving the audience the same content over and over in slightly different forms in lieu of giving them something different or interesting, all in an attempt to wring a few more views out of the time already spent playing the game.

It's transparently lazy click baiting and lacks focus.

• Upvote 1

There are currently 4 different ways to watch the exact same playthrough of Dying Light on Phil's channel: the livestream as it happened, the livestream archive going up a week later for no real reason, the regular videos, and the best/worst montage. It's giving the audience the same content over and over in slightly different forms in lieu of giving them something different or interesting, all in an attempt to wring a few more views out of the time already spent playing the game.

It's transparently lazy click baiting and lacks focus.

​Yes, because directly addressing fan/viewer requests to have 1. longer videos and 2. edited videos constitutes "lazy click baiting and lack of focus."

At this point, your negative comments are just laughable. I DIRECTLY respond to what people have said on these forums, you twist it into some way to make me look bad.

It's clear no matter what I do - make edited vids, longer vids, shorter vids, vids with scripted commentary, vids where a hooker comes out of your PC screen and blows you - it will never be enough.

Who ever thought that having MORE options - being able to watch my playthroughs no matter what your preference is - is a BAD thing?

People like you, who are only here to shit on me.

And to boot? Has nothing to do with a vision/mission statement. So it's a thread derailment.

• Upvote 4

​Yes, because directly addressing fan/viewer requests to have 1. longer videos and 2. edited videos constitutes "lazy click baiting and lack of focus."

At this point, your negative comments are just laughable. I DIRECTLY respond to what people have said on these forums, you twist it into some way to make me look bad.

It's clear no matter what I do - make edited vids, longer vids, shorter vids, vids with scripted commentary, vids where a hooker comes out of your PC screen and blows you - it will never be enough.

Who ever thought that having MORE options - being able to watch my playthroughs no matter what your preference is - is a BAD thing?

And to boot? Has nothing to do with a vision/mission statement. So it's a thread derailment.

​I feel you Phil.

​About this, I'm willing to admit that you did respond and start doing longer videos and edited videos but not the way people have been asking you to. No one was saying "I'd love it if Phil made the streams archives public!" or "Phil should totally so montages, that'd be aawesome!". What the fans/viewers wanted was for yiu to make your playthrough videos 20-30 minutes long and to cut out unnecessary things like being stuck for 20 minutes or doing the same segment 20 times before you finally get it. 

• Upvote 2

Actually it's not derailment because he does have a point that you give your audience the same content multiple ways without any real way to differentiate if it's new content or old content. If you post an archive of the stream then there's no point in posting separate small videos (you can always just cut the stream into 2-3 parts for easier viewing depending on length) and then have the the montage cause it'll give the fans the same stuff with less hassle. 

You've stated in the past you hated editing and made it known by attacking other youtubers for it. Not everyone will be happy with your content phil and better public relations would make some of this stress resolve itself. I think you truly need to see a therapist before you have some sort of mental breakdown.

What the fans/viewers wanted

​Actually, the fans/viewers want different things.  Personally, I'd like the raw footage to remain available in some form.  But: I do think a leaner, easier-to-digest main channel would be more attractive to newcomers, or people who fell out of the habit or no longer have the time to watch everything.  And I do think what he's doing now is a step in that direction, so there's no complaint from me.

​I don't know if you know him and he is one of your permanent gadflys, or if he's innocent, but maybe, intentionally or not, he's highlighted something helpful: maybe a newcomer without any prejudice could arrive at your channel and instinctively come to the same conclusion: "this looks like desparate click-bait/milking the views".

What you meant and how things look to outsiders aren't always in alignment.  The rightness or wrongness of an impression is immaterial.  It's like committing a social faux pas when vising a different country; you can either take a stand because of what you did or did not mean (which, objectively, is more important, right?), or capitulate and do what is considered appropriate.  When you're a business, every impression matters, no matter how superficial or ill-informed.  If I were in your shoes I'd act as a business first and a human being second, have my feelings on an issue take second place.

It's clear no matter what I do - make edited vids, longer vids, shorter vids, vids with scripted commentary, - it will never be enough.​

The existence of raws on your channel is enough to scare people away; anyone who doesn't want raw gameplay has to wade through a whole bunch of raws to find anything else. You should put raws on a separate channel so that people who want them can have easy access, while newcomers, as lourat mentioned, would be more attracted to your main.

The existence of raws on your channel is enough to scare people away; anyone who doesn't want raw gameplay has to wade through a whole bunch of raws to find anything else. You should put raws on a separate channel so that people who want them can have easy access, while newcomers, as lourat mentioned, would be more attracted to your main.

​That's kind of what I was suggesting, but at the same time it would be a risk that might not pay off, if not enough people re-sub to the new channel.

Your reply also called my attention to something Phil said that I missed. @Phil , if you go on the comment section of your new edited video you can see plenty of positive reinforcement.  Does this go over your head?  I'm not sure why you say it'll never be enough, when for quite a few at least, it is.  It reminds me of how you say "nobody" is watching a sequence of videos when they're getting a thousand views each.  Count your blessings!  The essence of negativity and positivity is in what you dwell on, not what actually happens to you.  Positive people have 'deaf ears' when it comes to the negative, they don't connect with or relate to it.  Guess how it is for negative people?

​About this, I'm willing to admit that you did respond and start doing longer videos and edited videos but not the way people have been asking you to. No one was saying "I'd love it if Phil made the streams archives public!" or "Phil should totally so montages, that'd be aawesome!". What the fans/viewers wanted was for yiu to make your playthrough videos 20-30 minutes long and to cut out unnecessary things like being stuck for 20 minutes or doing the same segment 20 times before you finally get it. 

​And for every person screaming "completely change up the way you do playthroughs!" there were people on the other side saying "we're used to this, this is why we watch you so don't change!"

There is never a black/white answer to anything. Completely and utterly changing up a business strategy overnight does not work unless there's massive demand for it - and there are ALREADY tons of successful YouTube gamers that use the strategy you suggest. Just because I changed over to that would not guarantee success AT ALL; in fact, all it would definitely do is guarantee to piss the loyal longtime viewers off.

This is probably the 4th thread where you specifically have posted  something like "THIS IS WHAT I THINK YOU SHOULD DO AND YOU'RE NOT DOING IT, SO YOU'RE WRONG!" This is the definition of self-entitlement and trust me, big-picture listening to people like you is not going to help me. A GRADUAL shift to more edited, longer video content? Now that could actually help some.

Overall reading the comments in this thread, yeah I agree that now having the standard playthroughs, the raw live streams and now edited content is confusing for one channel. If people would actually learn to use playlists (which they still haven't in 6 years I've used YouTube) this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it would be awful strategy for me to make new channels and "split the audience" any more; I did this in 2013 with THEKINGOFHATEVLOGS and that took tons of time to get people to adjust. I cannot afford that right now with all that's going on (and in addition, Machinima wouldn't offer me the same terms on new channels as I have on my existing DSPGaming meaning FURTHER pay cuts, which would be pretty dumb).

Ultimately, once things settle down into more normalcy and I'm consistently doing raw playthroughs, raw streams and montages on a regular basis, I can make a schedule (maybe even a walkthrough video) explaining the process and what to expect on the channel.

Edited by Phil

​And for every person screaming "completely change up the way you do playthroughs!" there were people on the other side saying "we're used to this, this is why we watch you so don't change!"

There is never a black/white answer to anything. Completely and utterly changing up a business strategy overnight does not work unless there's massive demand for it - and there are ALREADY tons of successful YouTube gamers that use the strategy you suggest. Just because I changed over to that would not guarantee success AT ALL; in fact, all it would definitely do is guarantee to piss the loyal longtime viewers off.

This is probably the 4th thread where you specifically have posted  something like "THIS IS WHAT I THINK YOU SHOULD DO AND YOU'RE NOT DOING IT, SO YOU'RE WRONG!" This is the definition of self-entitlement and trust me, big-picture listening to people like you is not going to help me. A GRADUAL shift to more edited, longer video content? Now that could actually help some.

​The problem is your ways are not netting you views, youtube is all business, that's why you see trends fade or go on. You either roll with the times or die, no exceptions.

• Upvote 1

This is the definition of self-entitlement and trust me, big-picture listening to people like you is not going to help me. A GRADUAL shift to more edited, longer video content? Now that could actually help some.

So in the interesting of helpful discussion, can we have the thread back discussing TIHYDP?

• Upvote 1

​I don't believe I told you to do anything in that post, nor did I say you were wrong. I simply stated what people have been asking for. I'm not saying to change overnight, but you can experiment. Take baby steps. For example, Evolve and Majora's Mask are coming out soon. You could pick one of those to edit the unnecessary stuff out of. Or you could do it for a downtime game like AC: Rogue. 

• Upvote 1

Overall reading the comments in this thread, yeah I agree that now having the standard playthroughs, the raw live streams and now edited content is confusing for one channel. If people would actually learn to use playlists (which they still haven't in 6 years I've used YouTube) this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it would be awful strategy for me to make new channels and "split the audience" any more; I did this in 2013 with THEKINGOFHATEVLOGS and that took tons of time to get people to adjust. I cannot afford that right now with all that's going on (and in addition, Machinima wouldn't offer me the same terms on new channels as I have on my existing DSPGaming meaning FURTHER pay cuts, which would be pretty dumb).

Ultimately, once things settle down into more normalcy and I'm consistently doing raw playthroughs, raw streams and montages on a regular basis, I can make a schedule (maybe even a walkthrough video) explaining the process and what to expect on the channel.

​It makes me wonder... do you understand how they work as well ?

When you got people that only subscribe to a few people then they see a wall of content then ask the channel owner to modify it to stop the spam seeing "learn to use playlists" is actually very insulting to that viewer and it's in their right to just unsub. No one has the obligation to use a playlist.

There's many youtubers active today that use multiple channels to spread out content so people don't become overwhelmed, some people deal with it better than others. It's normal to see popular youtubers with a normal, streaming, vlogging etc channels.

This is the definition of self-entitlement and trust me, big-picture listening to people like you is not going to help me. A GRADUAL shift to more edited, longer video content? Now that could actually help some.

So people are self-entitled to just give a suggestion to make videos longer and edited ? If you put out a video that's 10 mins or less it's old fashioned on youtube when people have already moved onto 20+ minute  edited videos by default. Your videos are very inconsistent from going as low as 8-9 mins to as high as 18-20. I think it would improve your image to be consistent and have videos going no lower than 20 mins per part cause it gives viewers more to watch and less parts to deal with.

• Upvote 2