The King of Hate Forums

DSP "Does the Indies"

So while we won't actually know what goals have been met until March 1st, I say we throw out some titles here that Phil should try during a potential indie stream(s). There are several that I've wanted to see him play, most of them being easily accessible on steam. Feel free to post your own suggestions as well, duplicates are fine since it shows Phil what people want more.

He in no way should be expected to beat them, but I figure it would be cool for him to try them out.

Legend of Grimrock 2 (my favorite dungeon crawler RPG in recent years and close to my GOTY 2014)

Castle in the darkness

Little inferno (amazing and short game)

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the new remastered version.

Terraria or Starbound with fans

DLC Quest (hilarious)

VVVVVV (for his rage)

Super meat boy (for even more rage)

FTL

Dust: An elysian tail

Steamworld dig

Any Shantae games

FWIW KG, I don't think we should suggest fairly story-heavy indies to him, considering the format he's doing them in. Dust: An Elysian Tale is a fantastic game, but he won't get much out of it by playing it for 30 minutes to an hour. Same with Legend of Grimrock, to an extent at least.

Here are some that KG didn't mention:

Hotline Miami - Just brilliant. 

Jazzpunk - Probably the funniest game ever made. Perfect for a let's play. Currently on sale for $5 on steam.

Rogue Legacy - 2D platformer with persistent RPG mechanics. One of those "just one more run" type of games, a la Don't Starve, but in much shorter bursts.

This War of Mine - A unique strategy game about surviving in a war-torn city. Open ended, and really hits hard.

Hand of Fate - Just came out and getting A LOT of positive buzz. A card game that is also an RPG and a brawler. Very unique, nothing like it.

The Forest - One of those open-world survival games, but with a horror twist. Not my favourite, but a lot of people seemed to like it.

Prison Architect - Fantastic game. No story, just build and maintain a prison and the story kind of unfolds from there.

Of those mentioned so far, I'd say Hotline Miami, Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, FTL, Jazzpunk and This War of Mine should be the picks. Lots of variation, all of them are games you "missed" and not current ones and none of them are really that heavy on a chronological story, which means they'd be fairly easy to pick up and play for an hour or so.

All of them are available on PC and easy to run, which means that the setup between each game would be very easy to do. Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy and Jazzpunk all have native Xbox controller support as well, if that's what you prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as this is going to be on the Wii U now, I'd love to see Phil play Freedom Planet. It has a similar style to the classic Sonic games (which Phil loves), but branches away from that enough with a good story and characters to be a fun playthrough.

​Oh wow Freedom Planet acutally looks really good. Hopefully Phil plays it and i might pick it up myself when it comes to Wii U.

• Upvote 1