The King of Hate Forums

Well, since we got a Naruto and One Piece thread, let's complete the tri-factor by making a Bleach thread.  Currently, we're on the final manga arc known as the Thousand Year War Arc while the anime has ended with the Lost Shigami Powers Arc.  To be honest, I felt like this new manga arc is pretty terrible because of the one-sided battles and the over powering of some characters such as the villain, Yhwach.  This final arc has been going on since late 2012 or early 2013, and I really want it to end soon.  So, what's going to happen since

the Soul King is dead.

Been a while since I watched Bleach, but didn't the anime of it get canceled for some reason?

Though the anime was becoming painful to watch anyway, what with all the annoying filler.

Been a while since I watched Bleach, but didn't the anime of it get canceled for some reason?

Though the anime was becoming painful to watch anyway, what with all the annoying filler.

​It has been a while since I have seen Bleach on the air. Yeah, it could have been because of low viewer attendance to the fillers. I had no clue what was going on at all, so I just stopped watching it altogether.

Though it was funny how Ichigo was getting all of these powerups, though most Shonen Protagonists go through this, but I didn't expect him to be part...

Quincy

That being said I still like the Soul Society Arc best, with the Arrancar Arc being in second place.

Ah nostalgia... 

• Upvote 1

My fingers are twitching with anticipation!

Spoiler

...to post thoughts on how this trainwreck of a manga ends.

The movie announcement is "meh." Live action adaptations of manga never excite me. It will probably be some half-baked affair with Tatsuya Fuijwara as Ichigo and five cent special effects. 

Edited by KingBunghole

On 8/17/2016 at 11:47 AM, KingBunghole said:

My fingers are twitching with anticipation!

Reveal hidden contents

...to post thoughts on how this trainwreck of a manga ends.

The movie announcement is "meh." Live action adaptations of manga never excite me. It will probably be some half-baked affair with Tatsuya Fuijwara as Ichigo and five cent special effects. 

Making live action versions of anime/manga is completely & utterly stupid.

I feel like i'm the only person who was alright with the ending.

Spoiler

The end fight straight to time skip was jarring as fuck but still

All in all i was ok with it.

7 hours ago, Nation said:

I feel like i'm the only person who was alright with the ending.

Hide contents

The end fight straight to time skip was jarring as fuck but still

All in all i was ok with it.

Besides the lack of closure for some characters, the ending felt typical for a shonen battle manga story. Really, my beef is more that I've been sick of Bleach for a while but I've been too stubborn to drop it, because people get invested after spending a long time with something and want closure (economists call this sort of stubborn thinking "the sunk cost fallacy"... and being aware of it makes me little better at avoiding it). 

It has been on a continuous decline since the end of the Soul Society arc. So many flaws.

Spoiler

Kubo was lazy about drawing backgrounds in the Hueco Mundo arc. Ichigo just brute forces his way through everything and spams Getsuga Tenshou. The super speed that was supposed to be part of his Bankai is never a factor past the Byakuya fight. There are dumb plot holes like Ulquiorra claiming that any Espada above 4 can't release their Resurrecion in Hueco Mundo, but Yammy is revealed to be number zero and does this just fine. Orihime gets reduced to a damsel in distress with no interesting qualities. Uneven character development. Foes are uninteresting and get a boring backstory chapter just before they die. The Zero Squad was hyped up to be much stronger than regular captains... but not really in the end because they were stomped like ants and the captains had to finish the job. Yhwach was lame. 

15 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

Besides the lack of closure for some characters, the ending felt typical for a shonen battle manga story. Really, my beef is more that I've been sick of Bleach for a while but I've been too stubborn to drop it, because people get invested after spending a long time with something and want closure (economists call this sort of stubborn thinking "the sunk cost fallacy"... and being aware of it makes me little better at avoiding it). 

It has been on a continuous decline since the end of the Soul Society arc. So many flaws.

Hide contents

Kubo was lazy about drawing backgrounds in the Hueco Mundo arc. Ichigo just brute forces his way through everything and spams Getsuga Tenshou. The super speed that was supposed to be part of his Bankai is never a factor past the Byakuya fight. There are dumb plot holes like Ulquiorra claiming that any Espada above 4 can't release their Resurrecion in Hueco Mundo, but Yammy is revealed to be number zero and does this just fine. Orihime gets reduced to a damsel in distress with no interesting qualities. Uneven character development. Foes are uninteresting and get a boring backstory chapter just before they die. The Zero Squad was hyped up to be much stronger than regular captains... but not really in the end because they were stomped like ants and the captains had to finish the job. Yhwach was lame. 

So basically it suffered from "shonen manga" syndrome lol

But yeah all those were definite problems but i just sat there and took it for what it was.

Plus when hype moments happened i would overlook the stupid because "HOLY FUCK DID YOU SEE THAT SHIT?!"

It's the same problem i have with One Piece, only replace "plot holes" with "Slow as fuck" because when One piece isn't fighting it's fucking slow story 

Edited by Nation

17 minutes ago, Nation said:

So basically it suffered from "shonen manga" syndrome lol

But yeah all those were definite problems but i just sat there and took it for what it was.

Plus when hype moments happened i would overlook the stupid because "HOLY FUCK DID YOU SEE THAT SHIT?!"

It's the same problem i have with One Piece, only replace "plot holes" with "Slow as fuck" because when One piece isn't fighting it's fucking slow story 

Yeah, I guess. Many shonen manga start off promising, but then decline in quality after the author has achieved a level of success and has decided to rest on his laurels (I'm speculating here but that's what it feels like, the author of Naruto said that writing the story non-stop took away from his family life and delayed his honeymoon). This also happens with some Western live action shows too.  

Really wish there were more of them that didn't overstay their welcome. Even as they decline, they can still deliver with hype moments here and there but clearly it would be better not to slog through mediocrity to get there. 

2 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

Yeah, I guess. Many shonen manga start off promising, but then decline in quality after the author has achieved a level of success and has decided to rest on his laurels (I'm speculating here but that's what it feels like, the author of Naruto said that writing the story non-stop took away from his family life and delayed his honeymoon). This also happens with some Western live action shows too.  

Really wish there were more of them that didn't overstay their welcome. Even as they decline, they can still deliver with hype moments here and there but clearly it would be better not to slog through mediocrity to get there. 

I still don't get why they're continuing Naruto. When it ended the guy literally said "Let me rest" but now we're getting shit with the kids.

Nobody asked for this.

12 minutes ago, Nation said:

I still don't get why they're continuing Naruto. When it ended the guy literally said "Let me rest" but now we're getting shit with the kids.

Nobody asked for this.

Just milking it I suppose. I'm not bothering with that Boruto nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, KingBunghole said:

Just milking it I suppose. I'm not bothering with that Boruto nonsense. 

Same, i got to the end, i enjoyed the ride, watched the last movie and that's it. Series done for me.

On 8/22/2016 at 2:45 PM, KingBunghole said:

There was a pretty good video called the Fall of Bleach that talked about it.

You see most Magna artist only have around 5 hours of Free time a week, afterall its almost always a one person show and they don't make enough to hire help, and their editors have massive control (Dragon Ball Cell Sega was all made by the editor)

So pretty much he just got burnt out, not helped by his first manga Zombie Power being cut shot so he played it say for the story so when the art quaintly started to slip.

That's why you notice Monthly Manga like FMA, Trigun and Jojo don't suffer like the weekly ones do in terms of story and art.

15 hours ago, A_Yellow_Space_Rock said:

There was a pretty good video called the Fall of Bleach that talked about it.

You see most Magna artist only have around 5 hours of Free time a week, afterall its almost always a one person show and they don't make enough to hire help, and their editors have massive control (Dragon Ball Cell Sega was all made by the editor)

So pretty much he just got burnt out, not helped by his first manga Zombie Power being cut shot so he played it say for the story so when the art quaintly started to slip.

That's why you notice Monthly Manga like FMA, Trigun and Jojo don't suffer like the weekly ones do in terms of story and art.

Yeah, I saw that one before it was taken down for some reason. It had some useful info but I felt it was a little too speculative at certain parts. Certainly, Kubo Tite directly said he wasn't getting along with his editor, but I'm not sure if the decline in quality was also due to burnout. The work schedule of a mangaka sounds rough, but that just means all of them are susceptible to burnout... but not all of them suffer the same massive dip in quality that Bleach did. Naruto suffered similar problems but I don't consider the drop quite as drastic. 

They actually do have assistants (probably most major manga writers do, since I OFTEN hear the mangaka talk about them when I read the extras in manga volumes) but I don't think they work together for the mangaka's entire work week. The author of Magi once described this process in volume 1 or 2 of his manga. They mostly do backgrounds, extra characters, and other miscellany, though. 

Edited by KingBunghole

On 9/2/2016 at 10:51 PM, KingBunghole said:

Yeah, I saw that one before it was taken down for some reason. It had some useful info but I felt it was a little too speculative at certain parts. Certainly, Kubo Tite directly said he wasn't getting along with his editor, but I'm not sure if the decline in quality was also due to burnout. The work schedule of a mangaka sounds rough, but that just means all of them are susceptible to burnout... but not all of them suffer the same massive dip in quality that Bleach did. Naruto suffered similar problems but I don't consider the drop quite as drastic. 

They actually do have assistants (probably most major manga writers do, since I OFTEN hear the mangaka talk about them when I read the extras in manga volumes) but I don't think they work together for the mangaka's entire work week. The author of Magi once described this process in volume 1 or 2 of his manga. They mostly do backgrounds, extra characters, and other miscellany, though. 

yeah I got the impression assistants are like the Interns of mangaka, Oda was one for Nobuhiro Watsuki after all.

Naruto at least had a clear story going for it, while bleach kinda didn't it was more slice of life and then a story arcs poped up. Maybe Tite just wanted to do wacky slice of life with super powers but his editors wanted him to do a story arc.

42 minutes ago, A_Yellow_Space_Rock said:

yeah I got the impression assistants are like the Interns of mangaka, Oda was one for Nobuhiro Watsuki after all.

Naruto at least had a clear story going for it, while bleach kinda didn't it was more slice of life and then a story arcs poped up. Maybe Tite just wanted to do wacky slice of life with super powers but his editors wanted him to do a story arc.

Oops. I didn't mean to caps lock "often." I wasn't trying to emphasize there, it was just a mistake that I can no longer edit out.

The funny thing about Bleach is that Ichigo never had a clear goal--he was always just focused on protecting his friends and slaying Hollows. This made it feel a little different than other shonen manga, but at the same time, this approach was also a weakness. Without any goals or any idea of what he desires beyond protecting his friends, Ichigo felt like a flatter protagonist than usual. The "Fall of Bleach" video was right in that regard. 

*shrug* We may never know what Kubo Tite really wanted to do. Some other manga do the same thing that Bleach did. Yu Yu Hakusho had The Spirit Egg arc before it got turned into a full battle manga. 

On 9/4/2016 at 0:34 AM, KingBunghole said:

Oops. I didn't mean to caps lock "often." I wasn't trying to emphasize there, it was just a mistake that I can no longer edit out.

The funny thing about Bleach is that Ichigo never had a clear goal--he was always just focused on protecting his friends and slaying Hollows. This made it feel a little different than other shonen manga, but at the same time, this approach was also a weakness. Without any goals or any idea of what he desires beyond protecting his friends, Ichigo felt like a flatter protagonist than usual. The "Fall of Bleach" video was right in that regard. 

*shrug* We may never know what Kubo Tite really wanted to do. Some other manga do the same thing that Bleach did. Yu Yu Hakusho had The Spirit Egg arc before it got turned into a full battle manga. 

i think Yu yu Hakusho still had goals, just they change form arc to arc much like a cop drama taking on different cases.

Meh whatever I wonder what Tite would do next.