The King of Hate Forums

Follow-Up and Assessment of WIR & WIP

This is not intended to be a nitpick.  I am writing this because things irk me and I care to a certain degree.  Bear with me, please.

In my opinion, time is the most important facet of Phil's business.  I have expressed this in the past, and this is my follow-up on the matter.  Here, I will be focusing on the Week in Review (WIR) and the Week in Preview (WIP).  I will make this as digestible as possible.  

January 1 FWC makes a thread.  
cap5.thumb.PNG.9b4445f1f84d9224aa848c126

February 6 The WIR is Born

February 12 HATE Live! Discussion"

In regard to WIR: "We're talking 3 to 5 minutes MAX"

cap4.thumb.PNG.b6f9b7e658a02915b740fcfac

February 28 Snapshot of WIR lengths 

cap6.thumb.PNG.03744e8588fb358850cd1df1b

Snapshot of WIP lengths BEFORE WIR is introduced

cap3.thumb.PNG.f370a873ea21fc08f74110faa

Snapshot of WIP lengths AFTER WIP is introduced

capture2.thumb.PNG.cccbd5c3cf771fa2ecd95

So what does this mean?  It means time is not being saved.  Some WIR are longer than the 3 to 5 minute desired length.  It still takes over 15 minutes to do the WIP.  With the time of separate videos and uploads, one may be able to argue more time is being wasted.  I do not see this as efficient, and was not the message I was trying to get across on my original January 1 post. 

Let me be clear.  Do I care if the WIR is a couple minutes longer than advertised? Hell no, but it is not efficient.  In a perfect world, these two series should combine to 10 minutes a week.  Tell me what you did.  Tell me what you're doing.  Done.  

Allow me to reiterate that this is not a nitpick.  This is one clear example of a problem that haunts the entire two channels.  I think the slow starts and verbal diarrhea are deterring views on every single series.  I'd break them all down, but frankly this one example took too long as it is.  

I'm trying to help. Save time.  

Anyone can feel free to weigh in.

• Upvote 4

I think it's a fair criticism. It's quite illogical to expect someone to set aside 20+ minutes of their time just to get the info on what content is actually coming down the pipeline. If the goal is to vent a bit and shoot the shit, then sure. But it's clear that the WIP and WIR is supposed to be a brief summary of what's coming up and what to watch if you missed anything. 

It'd make much more sense to simply make a short interesting 1 minute video giving a "sneak peek" of what is coming up in the next week. It could include some text, trailer footage of the games/vlogs etc. It'd be easy to make and significantly save time for the viewer, plus it'd be much more easy to digest rather than a 20+ minute video filled with both info and ranting.

If someone asked you "Hey, what are you doing next week?", it wouldn't take you 15+ minutes to answer that question. Or at least it shouldn't. People would just walk away, lol.

uhh...I'm out.

(jumping out of window gif here, if the forum worked)

​What exactly does this post add to this topic?

• Upvote 2

​What exactly does this post add to this topic?

​About the same amount as the topic.

It's obvious that the length of WIR will vary from week to week depending on Phil's schedule. If a video under 10 minutes long is too lengthy for you then simply wait for the Week in preview or just read his twitter, it's faster. WIR is still shorter than any of his normal uploads.

• Upvote 1

​About the same amount as the topic.

It's obvious that the length of WIR will vary from week to week depending on Phil's schedule. If a video under 10 minutes long is too lengthy for you then simply wait for the Week in preview or just read his twitter, it's faster. WIR is still shorter than any of his normal uploads.

​This is exactly what I did not mean.  I do not care how long the videos are, this is not about me.  It is about trying to demonstrate how Phil can save time across all of his work.  Time is a very valuable commodity when doing one to two live streams a day.  

I like the week in preview as a longer video. I don't really watch the week in review as I think its sort of redundant so I don't really mind how long that video is. Having it as a longer video is good so he can discuss all the games he's gonna play. Sometimes I am curious what he's playing and it's not exactly clear from his twitter posts. 

All righty. To aid the discussion here I decided to take the last WIR and shorten it down to what I felt was appropriate for a quick recap video with some announcements thrown in. The editing is super clunky and amateurish as it's the first video I've ever edited. So, thoughts?

• Upvote 4

All righty. To aid the discussion here I decided to take the last WIR and shorten it down to what I felt was appropriate for a quick recap video with some announcements thrown in. The editing is super clunky and amateurish as it's the first video I've ever edited. So, thoughts?

​oh my damn god!!! Are you for real?! This is so extremly productive that Phil never will listen to that and sadly all your work will be worthless. I already made a topic about the WIR WIP being basically 2 vids about 1 topic. He needs $, so..

​That is so much more informative and straight to the point compared to the current WIR. A little rough around the edges but overall great job man. Hopefully Phil takes your advice and considers using this format in the future.