The King of Hate Forums
Static Veins

Final Fantasy XV [Episode Duscae HYPE!]

10 years in the making, Final Fantasy XV (once Final Fantasy Versus XIII) is nearly upon us, and you can even play a 3 hour chunk of it starting today if you purchase Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

I remember seeing the original trailer in 2006 and getting hyped up beyond belief when details on the game's massive open world and "realistic fantasy" setting started coming out. Of course, the game never actually materialised and we all pretty much thought it was destined never to be released. Then it was re-revealed at E3 2013 as a next-gen game with the new name of Final Fantasy XV, making it the first single-player mainline Final Fantasy game in 7 years (assuming it finally releases 2016).

There's still a lot we don't know about the game - we don't even know when it's coming out - but what we do know has many long-time fans heralding it as a return to form for the series. The combat is real-time and from all reports is satisfying. The story, while still being part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology along with the XIII trilogy & Type-0, seems much more engaging and much less convoluted. Even the characters - that, admittedly, look like they're part of some Japanese boyband - seem to have more personality individually than the entire cast of XIII combined and are becoming more and more interesting as we see more of their personas come through in new trailers. The whole "bros on a road trip" vibe put me off at first, but hearing the characters banter and seeing how it works so far, I'm really liking the approach. It's very unique and something refreshing for the JRPG genre.

But if any of this gushing hasn't got you hyped, just watch this video of the summon featured in the Episode Duscae demo. Beware, you are NOT prepared for this:

So is anyone else checking out the demo? I've unfortunately got to wait til Friday. Curse you UK release dates!

I hated this demo... It only makes the wait for the full game to release even more agonising :(

Very happy with the direction they're taking for this one. The combat feels fresh, engaging and surprisingly deep - and it's only going to get deeper once magic, etc. is added into the equation. The open world approach is very refreshing too, interested to see how they handle it in the full game. Will it be segmented areas or one big open world? I'm guessing a hybrid; big open countryside with towns and then separate cities. Also gotta say I'm liking the characters a lot more than I thought I would. Despite a few wonky lines here and there (mainly looking at you Prompto...) the voice acting is solid and they genuinely sound like friends - the banter between them and throwing nicknames around is pretty great.

My only real gripe is that the lock-on mechanism needs some work. There is no need for a 2-step lock-on. As it stands, you hold R1 to soft-lock, and then press R3 to hard-lock on that enemy. IMO, you should be able to fully lock onto an enemy with one press of R1, and that's it. Would streamline it so much more and go a long way to make the camera stop spazzing out during battles sometimes.

Also it's fair to say that presentation-wise it's pretty rough around the edges. The frame rate and aliasing suck. There's a gorgeous game underneath that though. The game's director has said he was reluctant to release the TGS '14 trailer - which is the same build as this demo - as he was unhappy with how unfinished it looked, so at least we know there's going to be a big improvement in the final game. Knowing Square's track-record I am expecting the game to be silky smooth and all jaggies eradicated come full release. Most people are expecting at least a year before this thing comes out, probably longer, so there's plenty of time for them to optimise it.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go back to listening to the soundtrack I managed to rip from the demo. In true Final Fantasy fashion, this music is godly...

Saw a playthrough of it on YT. Not exactly a hard core FF fan cause I only played the XIII Series, but I did like what saw in FFXV. The Gameplay reminded me of Kingdom Hearts which is great in my book since I'm not exactly a fan of turned based gameplay. The English voice overs were pretty good and the graphics look sick. Game does look a bit rough but it's only an early demo which means the game still has more work to be done which is sad because this has definitely increased my interest in the game.

At least well have JRPGs helping with the wait times of other. First we got Person 5 which we might get this year but I believe it'll get pushed to 2016 (20th anniversary of Persona), then FFXV sometime next year or even 2017 (coincide with the 30th anniversary of FF) and then KH3 in probably late 2017 (for the 15th anniversary).

-_-

With the potential delay of FFXV(I'm waiting for official confirmation from SE), what is everyone's thoughts about the point Phil brought up of it competing with South Park? Personally I think he is way off the mark here and maybe even disconnected from reality a bit. Final Fantasy is one of the most well known and popular video game series ever. Even their not so well received iterations still sell a crazy amount of copies. So the idea that South Park will hurt their sales at all, much less have a wider, more mainstream appeal, is simply preposterous.

Anyway, that's just my take on it and I doubt I would have even consider them effecting each other if not for Phil bringing it up, so I'm glad he's given us a possible discussion topic. What does everyone else thing of all this or even just the rumor of the delay at all?

• Upvote 2

As a stern fan of both South Park and Final Fantasy, i had to voice my opinion after Phil's video and the twitter antics that proceeded it.

Ok, lets start off by saying the delay is unconfirmed and didn't require such a quick and 26 minute long response on a rumor. I couldn't even get through the whole video. Next. As a long time fan of South Park and Stick of Truth fan. Final Fantasy XV will be trumped by the next South park game?

LMAO.

Phil MUST be trolling to gain some attention. If the rumor turns out to be true, the game is only being delayed two months in the holiday season. If this was game was set to be released in May and was pushed back to August, i'd be upset cause of the drought during the summer. But its not. Theres so many games thats going to be released from now to November, me and alot of other gamers will be fine. Its not a big deal, we will live.

Also, Final Fantasy despite some pitfalls along the way have made how many good games in the past 20 years? Alot of them. How many good South Park Games have been made in the last 20 years? One. Even with how popular the TV show is, it can't rival the Final Fantasy series. You guys remember when the FF7 remake was announced at the Sony Press Conference? Everyone jumped up and down, there were reaction videos of the announcement, you would of thought Jesus came back and blessed the Sony console industry. How many Stick of Truth reaction videos were made? Everyone in the conference and on Youtube are just the small percentage of hardcore fans? How long have they waited for a FF7 remake? But Phil says the Final Fantasy fanbase is going to falter for a measly two month wait. Come on Phil. Gotta stop talking out of emotion, take a breath, and look at the facts before going on a public rant on both Youtube and Twitter.

• Upvote 2

Seeing how FFXV doesn't even have as much momentum as Persona 5 amongst JRPG fans, i would not be surprised at all if the South Park game got more attention out of the casual mainstream gamer. I can assure you that if you ask a random person on the street, that person will more familiar with the South Park name than with the Final Fantasy name. If the new South Park game is good, that might be bad for FFXV.

Just cause a random person on the street knows a name doesn't mean they're going to play the video game

Avengers, everyone knows Avengers by now cause of the movies. Marvel Avengers game, released alongside the movie which broke records.
Game only sold 120,000 copies worldwide

Lego's, everyone knows what Lego's are. Lego movie made 500 million in the box office,
Game sold 1.3 million copies worldwide, despite it being a great game.

In comparison:

Final Fantasy XVIII all versions worldwide: 3.14 million
Final Fantasy XIII-X2: 2.6 million
Final Fantasy XIII: 3.6 million

Stick Of Truth: 2.1 million
(All the other South Park games sold peanuts so they're irrelevant)

So what are you guys talking about? First of all the South Park game has to be good, remember the last South Park game got a boost from being randomly viral popular on Youtube cause it was good. Lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice (pun intended). Final Fantasy fans are going to eat up whatever Square Enix releases. So just going by what people know on the street is irrelevant, cause everyone on the street doesn't play video games, especially a niche title like South Park.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Borg_Tech said:

Just cause a random person on the street knows a name doesn't mean they're going to play the video game

Avengers, everyone knows Avengers by now cause of the movies. Marvel Avengers game, released alongside the movie which broke records.
Game only sold 120,000 copies worldwide

Lego's, everyone knows what Lego's are. Lego movie made 500 million in the box office,
Game sold 1.3 million copies worldwide, despite it being a great game.

In comparison:

Final Fantasy XVIII all versions worldwide: 3.14 million
Final Fantasy XIII-X2: 2.6 million
Final Fantasy XIII: 3.6 million

Stick Of Truth: 2.1 million
(All the other South Park games sold peanuts so they're irrelevant)

So what are you guys talking about? First of all the South Park game has to be good, remember the last South Park game got a boost from being randomly viral popular on Youtube cause it was good. Lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice (pun intended). Final Fantasy fans are going to eat up whatever Square Enix releases. So just going by what people know on the street is irrelevant, cause everyone on the street doesn't play video games, especially a niche title like South Park.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember any of the FF13 games going up against another somewhat popular game. If FF15 has 500k less in sales because some fans got turned off or are saving themselves for Persona 5 and the new South Park gets 500k more in sales because of bigger attention due to the sucess of the last game, it makes Final Fantasy look like shit. That's the scary possibility that i'm talking about.

I have to agree and somewhat disagree with onorub on this. I don't remember the exact release date for 13, but 13-2 and Lightning Returns both released in February, where there weren't any other JRPG's being released. No competition normally means more sales. That changes with 15 if it's being released in late November. Having to compete with another RPG of any kind is normally a bad thing. Let's forget about it being South Park for a second for this and just treat it as a game people are excited for. For the decisive people, are they gonna go with a game that they aren't sure will be great, or go with a game that had a great prequel? Most likely the latter as there's more confidence that you'll get a good game.

Now let's put in that it's a South Park game for this. FF 15 is a worldwide release, correct? If so, they are going to have to compete against Persona 5 in Japan which releases a couple weeks before FF 15, and I'm pretty confident that Square Enix is scared of Persona 5 based on the poll they had asking which of the two they preferred. I'm pretty sure that Japan is the biggest market for Final Fantasy, so to avoid that they would have to delay the game far enough away so that they could get more sales. Now in the U.S., South Park would be its biggest competitor as an RPG in November compared to September where there is no competition for its genre. But, I do agree that South Park won't have as big of an impact on FF 15's sales as some people speculate it will. And I don't think South Park is a big hit in Japan, so it doesn't really affect their Japan sales. So, being the lesser threat, combined with the market differences between the U.S. and Japan, this is basically the smartest move SE could make if this is true.

Ok let me make sense of what you're saying. People might get turned off of Final Fantasy XV cause of impressions or the delay, so instead of picking up FFXV in November (if the release date is indeed pushed back), they are going to skip it and wait 3 more months until Persona 5 is released?

????

Well what I got to say to that is they aren't JRPG fans or really hate Final Fantasy series. Me personally I don't think the South Park games attract the same gamer as a Final Fantasy player, you have exemptions like myself, but I don't see Final Fantasy players being torn between SP and XV and vise versa with South Park players. Especially with those two being that close together during the holidays. When kids ask for a video game for Christmas you think parents more likely going to get a game titled "Final Fantasy XV" or a game titled "South Park: the Fractured Buttwhole"? Exactly.

And just looking at the stats. South Park: The Stick Of Truth most of the sales were in America and maybe a 3rd was in Europe, the rest of the world didn't give a fuck about it. Meanwhile on Final Fantasy the game sells relatively well in all markets across the world. SP might have a slim chance to rival FFXV in the North American market, but thats it.

Thats why I think Phil is crazy for thinking South Park would oversell Final Fantasy....

1 hour ago, onorub said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember any of the FF13 games going up against another somewhat popular game. If FF15 has 500k less in sales because some fans got turned off or are saving themselves for Persona 5 and the new South Park gets 500k more in sales because of bigger attention due to the sucess of the last game, it makes Final Fantasy look like shit. That's the scary possibility that i'm talking about.

Also consider that FFX on PS2 sold about 6.6 million copies so thats far from niche lol

1 hour ago, Borg_Tech said:

Ok let me make sense of what you're saying. People might get turned off of Final Fantasy XV cause of impressions or the delay, so instead of picking up FFXV in November (if the release date is indeed pushed back), they are going to skip it and wait 3 more months until Persona 5 is released?

I'm talking about Japan specifically, ignore the U.S. release date for Persona 5. In Japan, Persona is huge. If FF 15 went against that, they would most likely lose a lot of sales in Japan, which is where their biggest market is for the franchise. The U.S. is a different story as I stated before.

4 minutes ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

I'm talking about Japan specifically, ignore the U.S. release date for Persona 5. In Japan, Persona is huge. If FF 15 went against that, they would most likely lose a lot of sales in Japan, which is where their biggest market is for the franchise. The U.S. is a different story as I stated before.

Also keep in mind PS4 isn't selling too hot in Japan right now while P5 is still available on PS3 so that could be another reason why SE decided to avoid that month.

1 minute ago, Noir said:

Also keep in mind PS4 isn't selling too hot in Japan right now while P5 is still available on PS3 so that could be another reason why SE decided to avoid that month.

You know, I honestly forgot about that. Yeah, having more platforms to get the game on would make it even worse for FF 15 xD

IDK, SilentWarrior. I can see Persona being competition in Japan but not as big as you're representing it to be. Looking at the stats all the Persona 3 RP games from 2006-2009 in America was 600,000 units, Japan moved 700,000 units, barely 100K more. We are talking about 4 games here btw too containing of whats arguably the best game in the franchise. Persona 4 with an even lower ratio with 7 games sold 1.3 million in America and 1.28 Million in Japan, with the canon of the franchise Persona 4: Golden selling almost a 100,000 more in America.

Now if I was Square, I would push it back to November, not because I was scared of Person 5 in September, but because the profit margin in Final Fantasy's biggest market will be booming cause of the holiday shopping that goes on late November / Early December all across North America. Persona, great game and can't wait for 5. I doubt thats why (if they do push FFXV back) they'd push it too November.

I figured as much. Profit margin would be way to big to not to pass up for the North American market and the only thing they're combating with is a South Park game with an unsavory title that won't attract too many parents. Its going to sell alot of units, and I will for sure be picking it up November 29th. Only gripe I have is, if I can figure out all this information with just using prior release knowledge and VGChartz, why the hell couldn't they see it before they announced its September release?

HIRE ME SQUARE ENIX.

Phil will go even more nuts now that its confirmed bcos it will fuck up his schedule. For me as long as it comes out this year im ok with it. Like hell south park gonna effect any of this. Its just a comedy rpg with around maybe 20hrs? Not that hard to finish it then continue playing ff15.

btw i think their reason is preventing day 1 patch and more polishing.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Borg_Tech said:

I figured as much. Profit margin would be way to big to not to pass up for the North American market and the only thing they're combating with is a South Park game with an unsavory title that won't attract too many parents. Its going to sell alot of units, and I will for sure be picking it up November 29th. Only gripe I have is, if I can figure out all this information with just using prior release knowledge and VGChartz, why the hell couldn't they see it before they announced its September release?

HIRE ME SQUARE ENIX.

Dude, I swear that us as consumers know more about release timing than most other companies, which is why we sometimes have 5 big games releasing on the same day xD

• Upvote 2

well while it does suck i have no big game to look forward to next month besides just pointless PS Plus games and Batman Episode 2 and whenever Walking Dead Season 3 is coming but now in November-December i have Watch Dogs 2, Final Fantasy XV, South Park: The Fractured but Whole and whatever i get for christmas more than likely The Last Guardian and WWE 2K17 

6 hours ago, Noir said:

Its been confirmed. FFXV is delayed till November 29th 2016

After looking at this and looking at the "FFXV delayed video" that phil made. I have to conclude that he was wrong.  I have not been any big fan of JRPG's and Final fantacy in the past. But after looking at this I get the feeling that they don't care about release dates, and drama or any arbitrary reasons. And just care about releasing the best game possible. Which is from a gamer perspective just what you want. 

I think I would like this game when it releases because it looks like a high quality game, and something a little bit different then what you would expect from a Jrpg, and the developers really seem to have the right mindset putting making a high quality game, and thinking of the consumer over their profits. 

I think it is a shame phil did not wait a  little and do some more research before releasing his video, he was almost talking half an hour around a picture confirming that the release date was delayed, going to conclusions like there was a game crippling memory leak or something terribly wrong with the game. Which this video confirms  is not the case. 

Edited by BrightSideViking
  • Upvote 1