The King of Hate Forums

Characters: Why I like them

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys, Sorry for the long wait.  The next character I am going to talk about is: Gwen Stacy Betty Brant may be Spidey's first girlfriend, but Gwen will always be his first true love.  Is she on

Hello True Believers, In honor of International Women's Day, I will talk about my favorite female superhero from Marvel comics: Jennifer Walter, the original sensational and savage She

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen, The next character I am going to talk about is: James "Logan" Howlett aka the Wolverine Widely regarded as the ultimate badass of the Marvel Universe.  One of my per

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Greetings True Believers,

You know, after watching the latest and most recent DLC trailer for MK11, I was like you know what I have to talk about this character ASAP.  I mean I was going to talk about him eventually.  Anyways, this is a character that has meant a lot to me since my late teens and early adult years.  I am going to talk about not only one of the most iconic and beloved comic book characters of all time, but also one of the most beloved and iconic anti-heroes of all time.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

24223574_Spawn(AlSimmons).thumb.jpg.f8def285e3e35508846e380c1a7166fd.jpg

Albert Francis Simmons aka Spawn.  That's right I am going to talk about this bad boy.  As I've said before, Spawn is one of the most beloved and iconic comic book characters and anti-heroes of all time.  This character has been a massive part of our pop culture since the 1990s during a time in which comic book companies would just milk the crap out of anti-heroes.  For those of you who don't what an anti-hero is, an anti-hero is a character that lacks the characteristics that the superheroes usually possess like morality, courage, bravery, and heroism.  You know just to name a few.  Basically, anti-heroes have more flaws to their character than superheroes do.  Spawn was created by one of the greatest comic book artists of all time, at least IMO anyway, Todd McFarlane.  Todd McFarlane is also well known for doing a lot of artwork for Spider-Man throughout the 1980s and '90s as well creating one of Spidey's three most popular villains, Eddie Brock aka Venom.  I'd say that other than Venom himself, I'd say that Spawn is Todd McFarlane's greatest and most successful creation.

Anyways, let's get down to the reason why you are all here shall we.  For starters, I absolutely love Spawn's character design especially his cape.  It is so badass and demonic looking.  It is 100% arguably that Spawn looks like a fusion between Ghost Rider and Venom (Eddie Brock).  I also love his backstory because it is so compelling and interesting to me.  Of course his powers are also pretty cool as well.  My first introduction of the character was through the 1997 film in which Michael Jai White portrayed the character.  My fandom of the character was through the 1997 HBO animated series in which Keith David provided the voice for the character.  I have to say that as much as I enjoyed Michael Jai White's portrayal of the character in the live action film, I prefer Keith David's portrayal of the character from the animated series.  Plus, I like Keith David more as an actor and he has such an amazing voice.  I'm so glad they brought him back to voice the character for MK11. 

Spawn is arguably one of my top 5 favorite anti-heroes of all time and IMO one of the greatest anti-heroes of all time.

I hope Jamie Foxx's Spawn movie becomes not only a box office hit but a massive improvement over the original.

Hope you enjoyed this segment of Characters: Why I like them.  PEACE!!!

Edited by MDCFAN101
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Hello True Believers,

It is I, MDCFAN101, here to give you another installment of Characters: Why I like them.

Today, I am going to talk about a character that while he is one of the most iconic, and enduring members of the Avengers, he is not among the most well known.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

1655472192_WondeMan.jpg.89c1bd259effeecddcc5683675337eb2.jpg

Simon Williams aka Wonder Man.  He made his first appearance in Avengers Vol. 1 #9 (October, 1964).  Here is his backstory: Simon is the son of a wealthy and successful industrialist named Sanford Williams, owner of Williams Innovations (a munitions factory), and the younger brother of the deadly supervillain, Eric Williams, the Grim Reaper.  After his father died, Simon took over the company once his older brother, Eric, refused to go into the family business.  However, under the Simon's command, the company was unable to compete with the likes of Stark Industries.  In an act of desperation, Simon turned to his brother, Eric, to embezzle the company's money and invest in the criminal organization known as the Maggia.  However, once his embezzlement scheme was discovered, he was arrested.  About to serve a prison sentence, he was approached by Amora the Enchantress (classic Thor foe/love interest).  She brings him to the Masters of Evil and their leader, Baron Zemo.  The Masters of Evil decided to convince Simon to undergo Zemo's ionic ray treatment by turning the blame on Tony Stark.  After receiving Zemo's ionic ray treatment, Simon became the incredibly powerful Wonder Man.  He then agrees to help the Masters of Evil destroy the Avengers once they told them they were funded by Tony Stark.  However, Simon's time with the Avengers as an infiltrator, he learned that the Avengers were in fact, good people.  So instead of helping the Masters of Evil destroy the Avengers, he helps the Avengers defeat the Masters of Evil, but at the cost of his own life.  However, his death would then be retconned during the Bronze of Comics.  After his revival, he became a more legitimate member of the Avengers, even serving as a founding member of their West Coast division.

Now, I'm sure you all are wondering, "What are his powers and abilities, and how powerful is he?"  Well true believers, I am going to get to that right now.  Wonder Man is not only among the powerful Avengers, he is among the most powerful superheroes in the entire Marvel Universe.  He possesses an ionic energy form, vast superhuman strength comparable to Thor, Hercules, Hulk, and Sentry, superhuman speed, stamina, agility, & reflexes, immortality, flight, enhanced vision and hearing, invulnerability, ionic healing factor, ionic energy manipulation, power recycling, electromagnetic manipulation, size alteration, shape-shifting, self sustenance, and teleportation.  He possesses a gifted-level intellect due to possessing an advanced degree in electrical engineering, experience in hand-to-hand combat due to receiving training from Captain America (Steve Rogers), and is an exceptional stunt man and talented actor.  He is also exceptional wealthy.

Wonder Man IMO is a really cool, interesting, and compelling character.  My first introduction to the character was through the 1999 animated series, Avengers: United They Stand.  My fandom of the character though, was through the 2010 animated series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  In that animated series, he was voiced by the great Phil Lamarr.  

He has other appearances in video games such as the 1990s Avengers Arcade game, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Marvel Avengers Alliance, Marvel Heroes, and Lego Marvel Superheroes 2.

As far as I am concerned, he needs to appear in the MCU.  He was supposed to be portrayed by Nathan Fillion in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but his role got cut from the film.  Wonder Man was a character I wanted in the MCU before Spider-Man.  

Anyways, that is it for this installment for Characters: Why Like Them.  I hope you enjoyed this segment and I'll see you guys next time.  PEACE!!!

56 minutes ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Hello True Believers,

It is I, MDCFAN101, here to give you another installment of Characters: Why I like them.

That's nice, he seems like an interesting character.

Also, since he has immortality, I think self-sustenance would go hand in hand with it.

• Like 1
On 3/9/2020 at 12:56 AM, MDCFAN101 said:

Hello True Believers,

In honor of International Women's Day, I will talk about my favorite female superhero from Marvel comics:

1442421502_SheHulk(JenniferWalters).thumb.jpg.0140b7c370917620ce1794ef89a0b370.jpg

Jennifer Walter, the original sensational and savage She-Hulk

Really enjoyed this one. I can't believe I never knew there was a She-Hulk... 

Greeting True Believers and welcome to yet another installment of Characters: Why I like them

Today I am going to talk about a character that is one of the many copycats/pastiches of Superman that Marvel has created over the years.  However, I will say that out of them all, he is the best one.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

715603939_Gladiator(Kallark).thumb.jpg.659e170bc2939df464908bfa35e90e2f.jpg

Kallark aka Gladiator.  He made his first appearance in X-Men Vol. 1 #107 (October, 1977) and was created by artist Dave Cockrum and writer Chris Clairemont.  As I stated, he is one of the many copycats/pastiches of Superman Marvel has created over the years.  He is my personal favorite out of all of them.  I like the fact that his name Kallark is both an homage and combining of Superman's birth name, Kal-El, and adopted/legal name, Clark Kent.  Kallark is a part of an alien race known a the Strontians, which are basically Marvel's version of the Kryptonians. For years, he has been the leader of the Imperial Guard.  At one point in time, he was the ruler of the Shi'ar Empire.  The Shi'ar Empire, for those who are unfamiliar, is an old and powerful alien empire in the Marvel Universe.  For years, they have been a friend and ally of the X-Men and that is due to the fact that their late queen, Lilandra, was once the lover and wife of Professor Charles Xavier, the leader and founder of the X-Men.  My initial exposure to this character was the through the 1992 X-Men animated series, in particular, the 5 part episode, The Phoenix Saga, in which he absolutely destroyed Juggernaut.  When I saw that, I was like, "WOW! Holy shit this guy is powerful." For those who want to see the clip, I will post it towards the end of this post.  Anyways, what I find most interesting about Gladiator is that his power comes from his own confidence rather than a source of energy like Superman or Captain Marvel (Billy Batson).  The more confident he is, the more powerful he gets.  However, if his confidence falters for a mere second, his powers immediately begin to drop.

As for his powers and abilities, they are very similar to Superman's.  As for how powerful he is, he is among the most physically powerful beings in the Marvel Universe.  He is raw power has been often compared to the Hulk.  Even the Mad Titan himself, Thanos, makes this comparison.

Other than the 1992 X-Men animated series, he has also appeared in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Marvel Future Fight.

Here is the clip I promised:

Anyways, that is it for this segment of Characters: Why I like them.  I hope you guys enjoyed it and I'll see you guys next time.  PEACE!!!

• Upvote 1