The King of Hate Forums
Icureditwithmybrain

Random Thoughts 4.0

30 minutes ago, KingBunghole said:

It's still weird how the ranking works in that it sometimes seems like you're doing well during a sub-section but only get A rank for that section overall or something. 

That goes both ways and for fights themselves sometimes. Sometimes I'll think I'm doing good in a fight/section but get a worse grade than I think I should, others I'm doing worse but seem to get the same or even better ranking. This is obviously even worse with V.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

That goes both ways and for fights themselves sometimes. Sometimes I'll think I'm doing good in a fight/section but get a worse grade than I think I should, others I'm doing worse but seem to get the same or even better ranking. This is obviously even worse with V.

One factor affecting section rankings is whether you miss optional fights. I remember playing the demo a few times and just running straight to the three Qliphoth tentacles encounter after the first fight, completely skipping the optional fight you can do to the right of that first fight, jumping past the broken road. That's a better fight to gain style points than wasting your time with the Qliphoth roots, I discovered, so some minor encounters are skippable but larger-scale optional encounters that can net you extra style should be played through. Same goes for V's first mission. There's an optional encounter you can miss if you don't summon Nightmare to break through a building and reveal an alternate path forward. 

Getting all the way to SSS rank during individual fights themselves is similar enough to past games and still easiest with Nero, I feel. Don't let too much time elapse as you're going from enemy to enemy and use attacks like Nero's Streak or Snatch to keep the offense going. If you see enemies bunched up together and can think of an attack or combo that will hit them all simultaneously, try it out (for example, the Nero ground combo C where you pause after two strikes then press melee four more times, Nero's Maximum bet for long range and Nero's Showdown for close range). Just try to vary as much as possible and not kill things using the same monotonous combos. Use taunts when the opening is safe (air taunts are safer). Try using Ex-Act/Max-Act as Nero but don't beat yourself up if you don't get it right every time (though you'll probably get a better feel for certain attacks if you start habitually tapping rev with different timings during your sword strikes--the Void is a clearly a safer place to practice this). If your character has a gun with a charge up function, what some experienced players like to do is hold charge as they're playing the mission to keep it on reserve, then only release charged shots as needed for a decent style bump and damage. It can help to remap your gun to one of the triggers or bumpers (I use L1 myself). 

I probably still have a lot to learn with V myself, but again, it helps to map Griffon to one of the shoulder buttons to make it easier to control him and Shadow simultaneously. What threw me off at first was realizing that the directional commands always apply to V himself, not to the pets themselves. So if you want to dive bomb with Griffon, you press forward and attack according to where V is, not where Griffon is. Also, doing the actual command for backwards dodge or double jump will recall Griffon to you and cancel his assault, same for Shadow for side dodges. Avoid this when you want to dig in the offense. Do a regular jump instead unless you know they're going to take an inevitable beating if you don't recall them.  

The auto attack/attack more aggressively function can help take a load off your shoulders in terms of multitasking and seems to make decent decisions, but I haven't toyed with it too much. You should aim for combined assaults whenever possible and again, keep that variation going. So you could use forward plus triangle to charge an enemy with Shadow, then release your charged shot with Griffon. Then use a basic triangle, triangle, triangle with Shadow. Then dive bomb with forward plus attack using Griffon. Then during the last triangle with Shadow, hold it until you hear the charge up sound/see the visual cue, then release it for the Hedgehog attack. Get in an air taunt with V himself for more style points. Don't keep hitting enemies that can already be cane killed. Move onto the next target by pressing L3 while locked on. Basically always think a step or two ahead in terms of how you're going to vary your assault. Nightmare also helps a bunch, which is straightforward enough (unless you feel like jumping onto him and controlling him). Don't let him kill everything, though. Continue the assault with your other two pets while you're waiting for him to attack. If you have the Royal Fork upgrade (full circle analog, then circle) that helps to kill a bunch of vulnerable enemies that are reasonably close together.  

I did a S rank no damage run of the demo that's by no means perfect, but good enough according to the game to get an S in each section. 

Spoiler

Edited by KingBunghole

2 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

What threw me off at first was realizing that the directional commands always apply to V himself, not to the pets themselves.

Dammit, that explains a lot. I already dislike the character direction dependent input style of the DMC series and it was driving me nuts that I could rarely get those moves to work with V.  Now I know why at least.

With V I meant that you often get a really good score and don't know why. I've gotten S+ when it felt like I was mostly just spamming but lower grades if I actually try to be co-ordinated. 

Overall I liked the game a lot (best DMC game IMO) but I'd have preferred the game stick with 1 character, MAYBE 2. Or at least have you play through the campaign as 1 then give you the option to play as the others in the same campaign. I get that would mess with the story but let's be honest, no one really cares that much. I'd love to re-play and learn all the characters in-depth but I'm playing too many games right now; Dead by Daylight, Division 2, Path of Exile, Sekiro tomorrow, and Outward and Tropico 6 next week. 

Speaking of Sekiro.... I watched some streams today and hoooo boy does it look tough. I've already heard "Hardest From game ever" a few times. Going to be a bloody weekend.

EDIT:
Meant to mention; Nero's Ex-Act/Max-Act is why I like him so much. Getting the timing and watching/hearing the Maxed out moves (One.. Two... THREE!) is incredibly satisfying. 

Edited by VertigoTeaparty

What my Twitch looks like right now.

twitch.jpg

5 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Speaking of Sekiro.... I watched some streams today and hoooo boy does it look tough. I've already heard "Hardest From game ever" a few times. Going to be a bloody weekend.

I just want to know how it compares to Nioh, which is way harder than any of the Souls games.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

What my Twitch looks like right now.

twitch.jpg

I just want to know how it compares to Nioh, which is way harder than any of the Souls games.

i see one guy who is playing a game made for kids.

• Like 1

Just played Sekiro for a few hours and wow. Game is incredibly fun and so far the gameplay isn't nearly as complicated as Nioh, though that first real mini-boss after the tutorial kicked my ass like ten times. Gotta learn how to get good again. There's also some big dudes with hammers that can just KO you if you don't dodge.

1 minute ago, KGhaleon said:

Just played Sekiro for a few hours and wow. Game is incredibly fun and so far the gameplay isn't nearly as complicated as Nioh, though that first real mini-boss after the tutorial kicked my ass like ten times. Gotta learn how to get good again. There's also some big dudes with hammers that can just KO you if you don't dodge.

i should start playing it around Sunday Or Monday, depending on if my PC can run it.

Sounds like Sony is going to start doing their own NintendoDirect-style shows

D2QoBVqX4AAWBbu.jpg

4 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Sounds like Sony is going to start doing their own NintendoDirect-style shows

D2QoBVqX4AAWBbu.jpg

That's exactly what it sounds like, and it's also probably why most companies are going to skip E3. Why spend all that time/money for an in-person presentation and floor booth stuff when you can go digital, reach just as many people and avoid the chaotic mobs of a con? Because E3 has become a gaming con and less a press event every single year. So this is a good move for them, honestly.

I heard that in "Sekiro" you can only resurrect only one time, and then regain the ability by killing more enemies, but not immediately after. I wonder if that's why it's called: "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice".

By the way, what do people think about the 'no-death-fall' mechanic of the game?

Edited by MoraMoria

12 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

I heard that in "Sekiro" you can only resurrect only one time, and then regain the ability by killing more enemies, but not immediately after. I wonder if that's why it's called: "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice".

By the way, what do people think about the 'no-death-fall' mechanic of the game?

I've heard there is fall damage, but you gotta fall pretty dang far. Not sure really.

Jesus, RSSLiam beat the opening area mini-boss on his first try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I've heard there is fall damage, but you gotta fall pretty dang far. Not sure really.

Oh, I was talking about when you fall into nothingness; in "Dark Souls" games it will kill you, but in "Sekiro" it will take a portion of your health and respawn you, apparently.

28 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

Oh, I was talking about when you fall into nothingness; in "Dark Souls" games it will kill you, but in "Sekiro" it will take a portion of your health and respawn you, apparently.

Sounds weird especially for that type of game 

18 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Sounds weird especially for that type of game 

I assume that they designed it that way for the later parts in the game, where you'll be required to do more difficult platform jumps, (I'm not sure), but I think it takes some realism away from the game. I would've preferred that this game mechanic was incorporated into an 'easy mode', so you can choose not to have it.

6 minutes ago, MoraMoria said:

I assume that they designed it that way for the later parts in the game, where you'll be required to do more difficult platform jumps, (I'm not sure), but I think it takes some realism away from the game. I would've preferred that this game mechanic was incorporated into an 'easy mode', so you can choose not to have it.

True

So April will anime overload for me 

One Punch Man S2

Attack on Titan S3 - Part 2

Fruits Basket

Plus I'm still watching One Piece 

And then there's 2 more episodes of Mob Psycho 100 II

Plus many more anime I never seen before lel

Why did Phil stop using resurrection? Dies, immediately looks at chat, doesn't resurrect.

Tips for Sekiro:

• don't invest points in stealth
  • do some grinding for skills
  • don't run past enemies (like on the start), explore everything, try out your abilities
3 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

So this happened earlier. wtf man.

https://youtu.be/227vL0DAIE8

Phil's playthrough clearly shows the bosses know where you are after you attacked them, which you can see on the red dots.

The stealth on bosses in Sekiro is stupid. You are first forced to attack bosses stealthy, to save yourself from a tedious fight. Then stealth stops working, bosses always know where you are and you are forced to fight them head on. If you try to run away and lose his attention he just regenerates.

Edited by dsfan324

14 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

So this happened earlier. wtf man.

Wooah! That giant dude really wrecked him! Talk about a beat down! O_O

Something tells me, this game is kinda tough. This is definitely a game, that I want to play.

Hey KGhaleon, is that your youtube channel? Nice.

Edited by musicboy

24 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Oh shit, FemMC from Persona 3 is back.

I am confused. Is this the "GOTY" edition? Is there new content alongside the main vanilla shit?

8 minutes ago, GuessWhat said:

I am confused. Is this the "GOTY" edition? Is there new content alongside the main vanilla shit?

If you know about Persona 4 Golden, then this is the same deal. New characters with new content, with some updates like graphic improvement. People were saying this is a female protagonist but I have my doubts. Main difference is that this girl is a 1st year while Ren is a 2nd year.

Well, here's hoping it could be sold cheaper for people who already own the game (easier to do since it's on the same system), but most likely yes. If it comes to Switch/PC, maybe I'll be tempted to buy it again :P