The King of Hate Forums
Icureditwithmybrain

Random Thoughts 4.0

40 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

So I'm gonna have to buy it again your saying?

Unless it's sold as DLC, GOTY editions are sold as separate games.

I'm not really interested in playing through P5 again but if we had a new main like FeMC I'd be more interested.

haha, also spoilers.

20 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Unless it's sold as DLC, GOTY editions are sold as separate games.

I'm not really interested in playing through P5 again but if we had a new main like FeMC I'd be more interested.

haha, also spoilers.

I would like a Persona 3 and 4 remaster on PS4 I never got to play those 

heh, just reached the Butterfly boss in Sekiro.

Spoiler

I manage to beat the first form after several attempts, then it's revealed to be an illusion and I have to fight the boss again but now she's tougher and has ads. Oh jeez.

Also I finally got 4 of the prayer beads you need to increase your vitality and my vit went from 10 to 11.

What the ****, that's like 10 HP. Those beads took like 5+ hours to get.

Sekiro kinda reminds me of Onimusha and Soul of Samurai. I think that's why I kinda dig it.

Edited by musicboy

33 minutes ago, musicboy said:

Sekiro kinda reminds me of Onimusha and Soul of Samurai. I think that's why I kinda dig it.

And "Way Of The Samurai" too.

Let's see in the future, which game you'll like better: "Sekiro", "Nioh" or "Ghost of Tsushima".

4 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Let's see in the future, which game you'll like better: "Sekiro", "Nioh" or "Ghost of Tsushima".

Nioh's been out for 2 years. So replace that with Nioh 2 for this year.

Played quite a bit of Sekiro today and think I got fairly far, though I have no idea how long the game is. I just reached...

Spoiler

The giant bull asshat with the flames. Holy shit I have no idea what to do here.

4 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

About 11 hours into Sekiro, will be vague to avoid spoilers.  I got to the Butterfly and left as honestly the fight bored me a bit, will go back later. Got past the cow, got the armor break upgrade and that's where I stopped. 

Combat-wise, I don't think this game holds a candle to Nioh (Disclosure: Nioh is one of my favorite games of all time.)  You have like 5 weapon types, each with 3 stances which themselves have specific abilities/combos/etc. There's the Ki Flux mechanics, breaking enemy's stamina, etc., not to mention the magic and ninja tools.  There are abilities that allow you to parry, leap over, trip, and shove enemies around.  The deflect/poise (or whatever it's called) system in Sekiro is interesting and I enjoy timing my blocks but it feels like that's about 80% of the combat, excluding mashing R1. Sure you can do dodge counter-attacks, jump kicks (sometimes,) and the weapon stomp (sometimes) but the vast majority of the time you just block/deflect if you don't just R1 spam the enemy to death. 

The prosthetic is cool but having it use up those paper cut-out angels (that's totally what I think of every time I see them) makes me NOT want to use it except when I absolutely have to. They are cheap at 10 Sen a piece though so I guess I should just buy a shit ton and be done with it.

I will say that I think the death punishment system is trash. Losing half your XP/money when you die makes you not want to experiment or try anything risky, especially if you have a lot of either. Many times I've been close to a skill point and didn't want to risk it so I just go back to camp, heal, then farm until I finish that point. It's boring but to do otherwise is 100% risk with absolutely no reward. 

Overall I like the game and it's too early to pass judgment but there are some real head-scratching design choices. I'd say my favorite part right now is the bosses. Going toe-to-toe, trading blows, , using your prosthetic, etc., hearing the sounds of the swords clang and that satisfying effect you see and hear from deflections is awesome.  We need more of that and less clearing out 10 piss-ant grunts to get to that fun part.

I haven't honestly had an issue with the EXP, I'm getting plenty from killing enemies and I can get most of the upgrades I want if I just run through an area a few times. Losing half your money however is more noticeable and sucks, but you get quite a bit of coin from enemies. Clearing an area will generally net me between 500-1000. I also have a stockpile of those money items so I just save them for whenever I encounter a new merchant...new merchants always have a few things you definitely want. Like new upgrades, skills, dragonrot items, etc.

I got quite a bit further tonight and made some big progress. Spoiler:

Spoiler

Just reached the rematch fight with the dude that wrecks you in the opening. Died pretty quickly so I'll come back to him later. The whole Kongo temple area was pretty fun, with all the monks and monkey bastards. The freaking knight showing up made me laugh out loud, honestly hoping I see him again.

I also found a bell that optionally makes the game harder if you want it to be, lol.

5 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

The prosthetic is cool but having it use up those paper cut-out angels (that's totally what I think of every time I see them) makes me NOT want to use it except when I absolutely have to. They are cheap at 10 Sen a piece though so I guess I should just buy a shit ton and be done with it.

You can sorta do combos with your sword and prosthetic abilities. I really like Axe->Sword which is pretty strong and does a good bit of damage to posture. At the moment I'm using a Sword->Fist->Axe combo that's pretty rad.

There's also a whole skill tree for Prosthetic upgrades later if you don't have it.

I can do a whirlwind attack with my axe since I upgraded it.

6 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Got past the cow, got the armor break upgrade and that's where I stopped.

I don't remember a cow, only a Bull.

3 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I haven't honestly had an issue with the EXP, I'm getting plenty from killing enemies and I can get most of the upgrades I want if I just run through an area a few times. Losing half your money however is more noticeable and sucks, but you get quite a bit of coin from enemies. Clearing an area will generally net me between 500-1000.

Skill points have been fairly easy to get, but I loathe losing XP so every bit lost sucks and like I say, if I'm at like 70%+, I'll play it super safe which usually means hugging the bonfire.  If you lost a set amount it would still suck but losing half means the more you have, the more you're encouraged to play it safe.  

I don't make anywhere near 1,000 sen clearing an area, even with no deaths. Maybe you get more later? The one vendor sells coin patches for 110 which I think is a good idea to hedge your bets but he only has like 7.  I think that going forward, when I get to a spot where I think I'll die a lot, I'll just buy a ton of paper angels. Kinda solves 2 problems in 1.

Speaking of vendors, I bought the Butterfly shuriken upgrade from the eyepatched vendor but can't figure out how to actually apply it. Any clue on that?

3 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I don't remember a cow, only a Bull.

I was being very vague. :p

5 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

Skill points have been fairly easy to get, but I loathe losing XP so every bit lost sucks and like I say, if I'm at like 70%+, I'll play it super safe which usually means hugging the bonfire.  If you lost a set amount it would still suck but losing half means the more you have, the more you're encouraged to play it safe.

I know, losing experience in games it's not something that I like, because for one thing, it doesn't add to the difficulty of the game, it just makes it more tedious. It doesn't add realism nor challenge, since you can regain experience, but only at the cost of your time...

By the way, since you don't like losing progress in games, I'll recommend you the game: "Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer", for the Nintendo DS.

Evil Plotting.png

20 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Played quite a bit of Sekiro today and think I got fairly far, though I have no idea how long the game is. I just reached...

Reveal hidden contents

The giant bull asshat with the flames. Holy shit I have no idea what to do here.

this game is hard.. it runs good on my PC.

2 hours ago, Darksphere92 said:

this game is hard.. it runs good on my PC.

Yup, not as hard as Nioh. Just reached the sunken valley.

I took a break and I'm grinding now for some of the merchant items like the mask, with the demon bell curse equipped.

Lot of VR games were shown during the Playstation Direct, several I've been looking forward to so I'm pretty hyped.

Definitely got to revisit NMS Beyond since it's going to have VR support added.

Ironman and Blood and truth both look really good. I just hope Ironman isn't going to be an hour long.

They showed some new gameplay for Trover saves the universe. Accounting+ was hilarious so I'm expecting some good shit.

I'm personally looking forward to Vacation simulator since Job simulator was fun.

This game especially intrigued me, not sure what sort of game it'll be but my guess is horror.

Edited by KGhaleon

22 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Yup, not as hard as Nioh. Just reached the sunken valley.

I took a break and I'm grinding now for some of the merchant items like the mask, with the demon bell curse equipped.

this game is going to give me a stroke.

God DAMN.

There's a tough boss pretty far into Sekiro that I was having a rough time with. I FINALLY took him down and there's another boss fight directly after that...if you die you have to repeat the entire thing. I died in like 5 seconds since I was out of healing.

15 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I died in like 5 seconds since I was out of healing

I know that feeling. Sigh.:sleep:

Edited by musicboy

So I think I just fought the Ludwig of Sekiro. Jesus that boss was hard af.

59 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

So I think I just fought the Ludwig of Sekiro. Jesus that boss was hard af.

idk why they its a good idea to put enemies next to a mini boss.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Darksphere92 said:

Take out the smaller enemies first, with stealth if possible. Then try and stealth the mini boss to take off one of his pips of health...most encounters you can flee and wait for them to lose aggro then get a cheap back attack on them.

Just reached a pretty huge boss that clobbered me. One big hairy boi damn.

6 hours ago, Darksphere92 said:

It's a shit design is all I know. It doesn't add difficulty, it just makes it tedious since you have to kill all the trash before going for the tough enemy. It's boring and adds nothing but filler.

On 3/26/2019 at 2:42 AM, KGhaleon said:

I FINALLY took him down and there's another boss fight directly after that...if you die you have to repeat the entire thing.

I think I know who you mean. Took me quite awhile to get him down, cutscene plays and... another phase with a new mechanic you've never used before. When I confirmed you had to do it all over, I nope'd out and started exploring elsewhere. I'll go back and do it later but how fucking tedious this game can be at times. 

I'm still reserving judgement but Sekiro wobbles between fun and boring/frustrating (not in a good way.) Currently I'd place it above Dark Souls 2 (worst From game,) below Bloodborne (best From game) and far below Nioh.

11 hours ago, VertigoTeaparty said:

I think I know who you mean. Took me quite awhile to get him down, cutscene plays and... another phase with a new mechanic you've never used before. When I confirmed you had to do it all over, I nope'd out and started exploring elsewhere. I'll go back and do it later but how fucking tedious this game can be at times. 

I'm still reserving judgement but Sekiro wobbles between fun and boring/frustrating (not in a good way.) Currently I'd place it above Dark Souls 2 (worst From game,) below Bloodborne (best From game) and far below Nioh.

I don't think I would rate it above Bloodborne or Dark souls, I quite like leveling and managing stats.

But yeah, electric boy was a rough time.