The King of Hate Forums
UltimateMegaHero

DSP please read. Raid mode isn't a throw away experience!

So, the whole playthrough of Resident Evil Revelations 2 I was excited to see DSP check out the Raid mode. But of course Phil being himself decided that after playing it for 30 seconds he was an expert on the mode. A mode which you can spend 40+ hrs on. He went on twitter to call the mode a throw away experience and i couldn't help but explode. I don't want to come into conflicts with Phil or just claim his opinions are wrong merely because he holds a different view to me.

But when he so arrogantly makes these premature judgements on things with NO basis. Like Minecraft like The Wonderful 101 and most recently this mode it really drives me nuts. Here i'd like to share the typical twitter exchange we had.

dsptwicap1.thumb.JPG.a9a958d967635afc747dsptwicap2.thumb.JPG.bf6f3f9ecbde722d9fa

So here's DSP slandering a mode which in my opinion is significantly more fun than the entirety of any boarderlands game. And as someone who's spent hrs on this mode. I just have to snap at him.

dsptwicap3JPG.thumb.JPG.83a4f523ff15fa22

And here we have again this constant issue with Phil. I've spent hours on this mode and am trying to let DSP know there's more too it than what he's concluded. But i'm immediately dismissed because he played the first stage. (the first 10 stages are super easy)

Here's a section taken from RE Revelations 2 Wikia regarding it's Raid mode.

Revelations 2 will also feature the return of the first game's http://residentevil.wikia.com/Raid_Mode minigamehttp://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil:_Revelations_2/gameplay#cite_note-0. Many core mechanics have been dramatically changed from Revelations and players will now be able to visit locations from other games in the series, including http://residentevil.wikia.com/Tall_Oaks and http://residentevil.wikia.com/Edonia from http://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil_6, and fight monsters from other games, such as the http://residentevil.wikia.com/Scagdead and http://residentevil.wikia.com/Hunter. The maximum level has also been raised from 50 to 100. The game's mission structure has also been changed: 'main' missions cost in-game money to play, and money can only be earned by completing daily missions and event challenges. Main missions are now grouped together in packs, each of which contain six levels.

Raid Mode has also been confirmed to have a distinct plot, unlike in Revelationshttp://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil:_Revelations_2/gameplay#cite_note-1. The player assumes the role of an AI fighting in a combat simulator constructed by the http://residentevil.wikia.com/Red_Queen_Alpha database. The AI, which is able to assume the forms of different characters from the series, must complete various combat missions while collecting audio logs detailing the true nature of Red Queen Alpha. A mansion-like area has been confirmed to act as a central hub from which missions can be accessed.

I respond but DSP has already decided to ignore my posts. He knows he just somehow KNOWS via his superior intellect that his opinion is absolutely correct. And there's nothing more to experience.

dsptwicap4.thumb.JPG.fadef29e8ac7b8a17b8

All these post's are a complete waste of my time as DSP's already off talking to others about Bloodborne.

Here's a look at what DSP has just dismissed as a throw away mode:

• Upvote 5

What you'll start to see in all of Phil's playthrough is when he doesn't get something, it's "broken" or a "throw-away" mode. No matter what, he refuses to spend more time with something then is absolutely required.

In the Final Fantasy 15 demo, even though the game explained how to lock-on, he never did pay attention. Whose fault? Developers.

In Dragonball Xenoverse, he said that "grinding in 2015 is uncalled for". Whose fault? Developers.

It all boils down to a time issue with Phil. That's part of the reason why his streaming method is too little, too late. He wants to do everything in the stream, no matter what the game calls for.

If Phil spent the time, which I know he has, into a game, he would find it much more enjoyable. But he's always rushing to the next release in the hopes to maintain that views.

Phil, when you eventually read this, keep in mind that I'm being in no way antagonistic. In fact, I've got a simple solution to help with this problem: play and capture more games offline, not on stream. Make it the grinding, or the side content, leaving the big payoff to the stream. This effectively works two-fold.

1. The YouTube audience will want to watch the stream, leading to bigger audience counts. That's good.

2. It keeps your fans coming to your channel, always hoping for the next "unannounced" gameplay video.

In order for this to work though, you need to cut down on the stream videos that you upload to YouTube. Make sure that the YouTube audience know you stream and that the best quality of the playthrough is in the stream. It will entice them to come.

And, like everyone has said before me, give more games a chance with their mechanics. You'll enjoy games that much more, along with your fans. It'll make them happy.

• Upvote 4

You said it's a lot more fun in co-op, therein lies the problem for Phil.  No Rambo, no Rambo knock off relacement

​Well I was actually meaning to say it's a lot more fun for co-op then the campaign. But yes that also holds true It's also online the campaign is not. And regardless of Rambo not being around I see no reason at all he couldn't give it a try with some of his viewers.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. Raid mode is a lot of fun and I found it to be more enjoyable/fun than the actual story. The gameplay is solid and fast paced, you can level up and unlock better perks, you can upgrade and find all kinds of weapons, there are a ton of stages to try. Not to mention the co-op if you want to do that. To dismiss it after one try is extremely shortsighted but that's just Phil. He wants to act like his opinion is an expert's opinion and he's never wrong in his own mind. There's no way he'll ever give it a fair chance now. He wants to rush off to the next game.

• Upvote 1

​Well I was actually meaning to say it's a lot more fun for co-op then the campaign. But yes that also holds true It's also online the campaign is not. And regardless of Rambo not being around I see no reason at all he couldn't give it a try with some of his viewers.

​At the end of the day I feel this is a common thread in his playthroughs. Part of the reason I believe he's quick to dismiss certain modes or elements of a game as "superfluous" is the fact that he has based his entire business on playing every high traffic game and streaming/uploading it the fastest to beat his competitors to the punch. The problem with this approach (other than it being time consuming and impossible to play every popular game) is that I believe Phil looks for any outing of additional content in a game. More time he has to spend on a single game that he's beaten (or in the middle of beating) means less time to play the next big game.

• Upvote 1

I think that's also why DSP get's so frustrated and rages when he dies/fails in a game. He puts himself under this pressure to clear a playthrough as quickly as possible. So rather than enjoying the challange he see's it as harming his business.

But that very mentality is what drives away viewers. I mean just look at his Majoras Mask playthrough where he rage quit the game 3 times in one stream. Then called Nintendo all kinds of names. It's come to the point where the only games he likes are horrible narative driven experiences like Beyond Two Souls which in my opinion aren't even videogames. Phil needs to take a different approach. Sometimes i think he needs to just relax and remember video games are about having fun. Enjoy the challange. If it makes a playthrough longer it just means more parts.

And more parts only means more views. He should stop trying to catch the inital view wave of a new release. He doesn't get advanced copies there's no way he can compete with the people that do. Sure every now and then a game like The Order 1886 may generate thousands of views. But Phil doesn't seem to understand the most important thing is maintaining a fanbase.

Most of those viewers are only there to see an overhyped game. They don't care who plays it. It's a bad idea to cater to that audience.

Eh, play Raid Mode on Normal difficulty and finish it if you're just looking to go through it.

Anything above is a waste since the higher difficulties don't offer any new enemies or anything, just higher level versions of the exact same enemies you fought in the exact same stages.

Eh, play Raid Mode on Normal difficulty and finish it if you're just looking to go through it.

Anything above is a waste since the higher difficulties don't offer any new enemies or anything, just higher level versions of the exact same enemies you fought in the exact same stages.

​Those higher level enemies have buffs dude. It's not the same to fight a regular hunter then fight a super armored flame/tank hunter that explodes when killed. Or an ice Revenant that's super fast.

Anyway I just want him to experiance the mode beyond the worthless starter zombies. The feel is completely different from the campaign the kinds of weapons and abilities you get. You never got ice grenades or invisibility or a super saiyan style AOE palm strike in the campaign for example.

He really should give Raid mode an honest try before making his hateful truth.

​Those higher level enemies have buffs dude. It's not the same to fight a regular hunter then fight a super armored flame/tank hunter that explodes when killed. Or an ice Revenant that's super fast.

Anyway I just want him to experiance the mode beyond the worthless starter zombies. The feel is completely different from the campaign the kinds of weapons and abilities you get. You never got ice grenades or invisibility or a super saiyan style AOE palm strike in the campaign for example.

He really should give Raid mode an honest try before making his hateful truth.

​The buffs barely mean anything, same enemies. If you can dodge one without a buff you can deal with one that has a buff. Revelations 1 did stage difficulty much better by having different enemy layouts and most importantly more enemies on higher difficulties. Raid Mode in Rev2 is still all good and fun as such but they missed huge oppurtunities with the higher difficulties just being the exact same stages except enemies are more likely to have buffs which even on Difficulty 4 I find enemies that are unbuffed, the buffs barely matter either way as killing anything from a distance means they won't affect you at all which is common on higher difficulties since you most likely have stronger weapons, higher levelled characters also mean having better skills which makes everything a cakewalk either way. Not saying that the higher difficulties are terrible since the rewards are better but at that point it becomes so much more about the end result rather than the journey to get there.

I have every single medal in Raid Mode so I know my shit lol. 

I have every single medal in Raid Mode so I know my shit lol.

​Not saying you don't. ;p

And i don't disagree with you either. (However I think buff make a substantive difference) But also those buffs stack and they stack much more often. So, some crazy creations can occure.

• Upvote 1

​Not saying you don't. ;p

And i don't disagree with you either. But those buffs stack and they stack much more often. So, some crazy creations can occure.

​Oh yes, absolutely. I've seen my fair share of hyper-buffed enemies but they were still the same enemies using the same strategies which lead to me not having to rethink my strategies or think about how to deal with situations in a different manner (Unlike Rev1 where on highest difficulty you'd encounter like 4 or 5 boss monsters as normal enemies in one room, really got me on my toes).

• Upvote 1

​Oh yes, absolutely. I've seen my fair share of hyper-buffed enemies but they were still the same enemies using the same strategies which lead to me not having to rethink my strategies or think about how to deal with situations in a different manner (Unlike Rev1 where on highest difficulty you'd encounter like 4 or 5 boss monsters as normal enemies in one room, really got me on my toes).

​Well, it's still brand new. So maybe those stages will be added latter? Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

​Well, it's still brand new. So maybe those stages will be added latter? Fingers crossed.

​I'm hoping for more stages, 

Also I did all of this single-player and Co-Op will probably make things a lot more fun once that hits!

Speaking of Co-Op : Maybe Phil could do a Co-Op stream playing Raid Mode 2 with fans? Shouldn't be too hard?

• Upvote 1

Thats what I'm hoping for. :3

Unlike Rev1 where on highest difficulty you'd encounter like 4 or 5 boss monsters as normal enemies in one room, really got me on my toes

​Yeah look at this it's ridiculous rape. There needs to be a stage with 5 of these bosses not one. :/

You fight Pedro twice throughout ALL of Raid Mode and Monster Neil ONCE.

That's such garbage, lol.

In Rev1 on the harder difficulties you'd have Scarmigliones and Scagdeads up your ass on almost every level xD

The hell I didn't know you could use the sword as a skill! D:

I gotta get the DLC.

Edit: Oh apparently you don't need DLC to obtain the sword it's a skill unlocked with the cipher character. Thats awesome! \(^o^)/

• Upvote 1

What's the problem here? It wasn't something he personally liked. That's not something to get angry about.

​He can't decide that when he's only played it for 1 minute. That's my problem. :(

Anyways i'm not angry. Just disapointed and frustrated. The whole playthrough I wanted to see him try Raid mode. It is very repetitive so i didn't expect him to play it through to lvl 100 or anything crazy. But he played so little of it he not only decided it wasn't any good but also that it wasn't even worth uploading.

Edit: Oh and btw hardcore RE fan and youtuber Fluffyquack has been uploading vids pretty regularly. As of right now the Raid mode vids he upload 2 days ago average out to around 2000 views per video. His co-op campaign playthrough videos uploaded on the same day average at around 600 views per video.

A link to his channel as proof: https://www.youtube.com/user/FluffyQuack/videos

So make of that what you will.

Extra Edit: Sorry that's not correct he uploaded 1 part of his co-op playthrough yesterday. However looking back 3 weeks ago part 1 of his co-op playthrough got 1,184 views. At the same time his Raid mode as Cipher video got just under 17k (seventeen thousand) views.

So yeah, guess nobody wants to see raid mode (sarcasim)

Just found this comment on youtube.

rer2raid.thumb.JPG.3106dc8659e25322c3578

Again DSP has played Raid mode for 1 minute and has uploaded ZERO footage of the mode.

• Upvote 1

.....and?

Raid Mode exists, and there's a lot of gameplay. Repetitive, survival-style gameplay that everyone knows and expects. It's definitely been tweaked a lot since Mercenaries and there's more to it. But it's gameplay for gameplay's sake.

If you've beaten all the story-based episodes of RE Revelations 2, you've played the main focus of the game, and what the most development focus was put into. Nobody is debating that Raid Mode isn't good, but this isn't "Resident Evil Raid Mode and some story." It's Revelations 2, with some Raid Mode as a nice side attraction.

You may very well love Raid mode, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is pretty decent gameplay and I"ve noted that. I don't need to play the mode for several hours to see that. It adds TONS of added replayability to the game unlike some recent major releases that have provided NONE for a full $60.

But honestly, what's the point of this thread? I didn't even review the game yet and nobody has any idea how much I'd factor it into my review. This is complaining just for the sake of complaining before a wrong has even been done. 

I do have a LEGIT question: why is the retail version of this game $40? I paid $6 for episode 1 and then $25 for episodes 2-4 plus raid mode and the extra eps....that's $30. I saw the disc version in store today for $40.....huh? That doesn't even make sense? ANybody else notice this or did the store misprice it?

.....and?

Raid Mode exists, and there's a lot of gameplay. Repetitive, survival-style gameplay that everyone knows and expects. It's definitely been tweaked a lot since Mercenaries and there's more to it.

​Just to be clear mercenaries is a different thing. Mercenaries is an arcade style survival mode. Raid mode is an RPG style mode. It has character progression it has a skill tree it has weapon drops it even has it's own story. (as light as it may be)

If you've beaten all the story-based episodes of RE Revelations 2, you've played the main focus of the game, and what the most development focus was put into. Nobody is debating that Raid Mode isn't good, but this isn't "Resident Evil Raid Mode and some story." It's Revelations 2, with some Raid Mode as a nice side attraction.

​Yes it's not like they made content exclusively for the mode or pulled assets from other games or anything.It's just some side mode could never be it's own game....

resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-for-nin

You may very well love Raid mode, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is pretty decent gameplay and I"ve noted that. I don't need to play the mode for several hours to see that. It adds TONS of added replayability to the game

​I assumed you were speaking about Raid Mode here. Am i wrong?

dsptwicap2.thumb.JPG.48bfdf17ddb617b2d86

And nobody is asking you to play for several hours. People are just asking you to PLAY it. Since you did say that you would play it. -_-

Be honest Phil you messed with it for 60 seconds if that. Thought it was a waste of time and uploaded nothing of the mode.

Just hop on line and try it out with some fans once the Bloodborne hype dies down.

But it's gameplay for gameplay's sake.

​You mean like everything else?

This is exactly the problem you had with minecraft. While you sing the praises of David Cage garbage. So is Street fighter just gameplay for the sake of gameplay then?

This is why I tend to lose interest in watching you these days. All you seem interested in now are narrative driven "games" like the ones from Tell Tale. That's fine and all but when i started watching you it was because you made great gameplay videos for Super Turbo HD remix.

Raid mode is a major component of the game. Not just some throw away thing like replaying the game in invisible enemies mode. Capcoms tied all their money grubing micro transaction schemes and DLC to Raid mode. There's a reason for that. It's expected to be the main draw after the story has been completed.

If you don't want to give it an honest try fine. It's more your loss than mine. But please don't claim its rushed worthless content without giving it a chance.

• Upvote 2

​He can't decide that when he's only played it for 1 minute. That's my problem. :(

​Sure he can. It's his time. He played it, found out it was a fighting waves of enemies, and decided that's not what he wanted to play. Keep in mind he didn't say anything bad or misinformative about the game like he did with Minecraft a few years ago. Did he say "don't play this mode?" He simply said he didn't want to play it and didn't think the game needed it. That was his personal opinion. He doesn't need to play it for hours to  realize he doesn't want to play something. Getting frustrated over something like this is dumb.

The hell I didn't know you could use the sword as a skill! D:

I gotta get the DLC.

Edit: Oh apparently you don't need DLC to obtain the sword it's a skill unlocked with the cipher character. Thats awesome! \(^o^)/

​The sword is awesome. I wish they'd have added more melee weapon skills though like the crowbar (But unfortunately that is not a skill for any character.. Maybe in the future :D)?

• Upvote 1

​I assumed you were speaking about Raid Mode here. Am i wrong?

dsptwicap2.thumb.JPG.48bfdf17ddb617b2d86

And nobody is asking you to play for several hours. People are just asking you to PLAY it. Since you did say that you would play it. -_-

Be honest Phil you messed with it for 60 seconds if that. Thought it was a waste of time and uploaded nothing of the mode.

Just hop on line and try it out with some fans once the Bloodborne hype dies down.

​You mean like everything else?

This is exactly the problem you had with minecraft. While you sing the praises of David Cage garbage. So is Street fighter just gameplay for the sake of gameplay then?

This is why I tend to lose interest in watching you these days. All you seem interested in now are narrative driven "games" like the ones from Tell Tale. That's fine and all but when i started watching you it was because you made great gameplay videos for Super Turbo HD remix.

Raid mode is a major component of the game. Not just some throw away thing like replaying the game in invisible enemies mode. Capcoms tied all their money grubing micro transaction schemes and DLC to Raid mode. There's a reason for that. It's expected to be the main draw after the story has been completed.

If you don't want to give it an honest try fine. It's more your loss than mine. But please don't claim its rushed worthless content without giving it a chance.

​Yes, you're wrong. I was referring to the extra story episodes which are pretty terrible in comparison to the rest of the "main" episodes and seem incredibly rushed/jammed in there to just to say they're there. Wasn't referencing Raid mode at all.

Which, honestly, is the entirety of this thread: you assuming that I'm treating Raid mode negatively/will treat it negatively in my review because I Didn't really explore it. That's not the case, it's baseless speculation and in all honesty, you just need to chill out and relax. Just because something isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean I won't respect that it's there. I would think my track record of rating games (remember Dark Souls 1 which destroyed me but I still rated highly?) would show that I'm pretty fair overall, but you just seem to be paranoid because you LOVE Raid mode so much.

I'm not always going to spend massive time on every aspect of a game but it doesn't mean I won't acknowledge/respect it. This thread was 50% useful for helping explain the details of raid mode and 50% silly for going so drama-esque about my POSSIBLY glossing over it in the review and somehow giving the game a lower score than it deserves...or something? I don't really get it. Just because I don't want to play Raid Mode shouldn't be cause for people to flip out.