The King of Hate Forums
UltimateMegaHero

Open Tip Thread: Let's help DSP learn Bloodborne.

Okay, so after watching all of DSP first 16 parts I want to try and help Phil to learn the game a little better before he starts grinding again.

The problem DSP is having is that he's not good with action games. He instead takes the "Tank" approach. Which was exactly his problem with Devil May Cry 3. Some people on these boards have made it apparent they don't care about DSP improving in his ability to play action games.Possibly because they simply aren't fans of that genre. However when taking on a game like Bloodborne. Which is a lot less forgiving than Devil May Cry's normal difficulty. It goes a long way if you understand the complex dynamics inherent in combat systems/game engines.

Sadly one of the problems DSP constantly falls into is he forgets things he's learned almost immediately and often repeats the same strategy/actions over and over expecting different results. For example he learned that the Saw Cleaver could extend into a Pole Arm. Now most people familiar with action games would instintivly guess that in Pole form the weapon will be significantly slower but have longer reach and deal more damage.

SawCleaver.thumb.png.e5b1ea2e3126c8f750c

DSP found this out yet forgot about using it. And often times complained that the saw didn't have the reach he needed.

Also, he previously had similar issues with the Threaded Cane. It was obvious that in whip form the weapon was very slow and difficult to use in enclosed spaces. It also dealt significantly less damage than cane from. And it was obvious that whip form was meant as a crowd control AOE mode. While cane form did more damage while being extremely fast dealing very high DPS.

TransformingCaneRender.thumb.png.382b14d

For several hours these obvious weapon attributes went ignored by DSP. He continued to use the whip form of the Threaded Cane against single enemies within tight corridors which lead to him dealing weak damage and hitting walls.

Now if DSP could just explore the combat more thoroughly. And pay attention to things like damage dealt in a particular "form" watch the numbers and attacks animations. (it was obvious that the whip was much slower than the cane) He wouldn't have the issues he has with souls games.

Now it sounds like DSP might be taking the Tank approach again. Which not only makes the game less fun to watch but horrible for him to play. 10's of hours wasted grinding over and over on boring low level enemies is not my idea of a fun time. And i bet DSP feels the same way.

I want to share with Phil a video i just found of this guy beating Father Gasoigne easily on his FIRST ATTEMPT with the Threaded Cane. Which deals less damage than the Saw.

IMPORTANT!: Phil PLEASE watch and study what's going on in this video.

Now the reason why he had such an easy time with this boss while for Phil it was a nightmare should be obvious. He knew how and when to use the blunderbuss to essentially parry attacks and counter with the charged strike. Easily being the most effective strategy in the fight. And for many enemies in the game.

DSP's encounter ultimately ended like this.

Phil had an already over leveled character yet still struggled. With his conclusion being. "oh i must need to grind for 30 hours in order to beat this boss".To DSP's credit he was trying to use the pistol. (not nearly enough imo) but rarely got a stun. This was because his timing was off. And this is a learned skill.

Basicly the safest bet is to shoot enemies at the very start of their attack animation at close range.

Phil's complaints about the camera are complete bullshit imo. With very few exceptions the problem he has had with the camera is that he keeps backing himself into corners. That's not the games fault Phil that's your own. And it's something you need to watch out for just as you should for pitfalls and traps. Learning to position yourself is also key to success in these games.

So, in closing for this first post i'd like to present DSP with some basic tips to follow based on what i've seen so far.

Final Tips:

1. Blood Regen: Bloodborne has an important mechanic in that you can regain a part of you life bar if it's still red. The white marker indicates damage taken however you can refill the red meter by quickly attacking. The red meter will quickly drain down to the marker before to long. This is important to use as you wont need as many blood vials if you can regain your life Be aggressive. Do not be scared to attack immediately after taking damage especially when using fast weapons. It's also important to note that you can still hit and regain life while an enemy is in a dying animation.

2. Use Your Pistol At The Right Moment: Remember to experiment when shooting enemies and see if you can discover a point where a close range shot will stun. Usually this is at the start of enemy attack animations

3. Approach Fighting Dynamicly: You should always be switching your weapons to best fit the situation. For example use the Saw Cleaver in saw form at close range on bosses for a flurry of attacks. but switch while fighting at a distance for cautious poking.

4. Pay Attention! Be Observant To Enemy Attack Patterns,Weapon Animations,Damage Dealt: This means more than just learning what to avoid. But also what the best time is to perform any action. eg Gun Parries, Healing, Weapon Usage/ Form Switching.

5. Don't Back Yourself Into Corners: This is pretty self explanatory. Just try to keep in mind that your movement in both body and camera is restricted when body pressed against a wall. When in this situation it's best to attack forward facing and using a possible hit stun as your chance to escape. But even better is just to avoid this situation entirely.

6. Know What To Sell: Currently Phil has been collecting a great number of pistol bullets. This is because he wasn't able to use the pistol to it's full potential. Whenever you collect items yet have full stock those items get transported back to your chest in the dream world. You should have a good number of silver bullets now. Which you could sell should you need some extra souls.

7. Use your oil!: Oil is an extremely useful item. It acts as a major damage buff to all fire based attacks. So, the damage of molotovs would increase nearly 50% after oil has been thrown on an enemy.

And that's all i have for now.

Other fans please share your tips/ advice with a post in this thread and DSP might get to read it. Thank you! :D

Edit:

Just found this on twitter. He's not wrong. Hopefully Phil can cease grinding before it's too late. And we end of with a repeat of Demons Souls. :(

AJ.thumb.JPG.43a97ab5f90f5f2626132413e22

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I would rather watch him play  a game without tips because I feel like the handholding is getting to be a bit to much. Also if he over grinds in the game it's gonna get boring fast if he's able to beat everything on his first try. 

You do know you could've posted on the T&H Thread right?

​Hey mate. I know but i wanted this to be open so everyone here could post. And Phil might actually read it. :3

He's already grinding which will ruin the playthrough. He doesn't want tips, he wants it to be as easy as possible.

​I hope you are wrong. For everyones sake. :(

• Upvote 1

​Hey mate. I know but i wanted this to be open so everyone here could post. And Phil might actually read it. :3

​How is my thread not open? O_o It's ALWAYS open for everyone.

​How is my thread not open? O_o It's ALWAYS open for everyone.

​It's not really a proper guide anyways. It's more in response to what DSP himself is doing. Where as those T&H are more proper guides for everybody.

​It's not really a proper guide anyways. It's more in response to what DSP himself is doing. Where as those T&H are more proper guides for everybody.

​Of course not. That can be implemented on the thread if need be. Completely open. This is why I wanted you helping me with these threads because you tend to be far more detailed and descriptive than me in certain situations.

• Upvote 1

​Of course not. That can be implemented on the thread if need be. Completely open. This is why I wanted you helping me with these threads because you tend to be far more detailed and descriptive than me in certain situations.

​I'd still like to help. I've just been busy. Also i'd like to play games myself now and then xD